Secret Sphere - A Time Never Come

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

prog_powermetal99

Secret Sphere - A Time Never Come

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:42 am

Did anyone other than me enjoy the heck out of this cd when it came out? I know many here aren't into power metal, and my interest in it today comes and goes, but this cd really has a nostalgic place in my heart, as I remember playing it to death when it came out. Anyway else?

I never check out any of their other cds other than this one.

introclaus

Re: Secret Sphere - A Time Never Come

Post by introclaus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:52 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:42 am
Did anyone other than me enjoy the heck out of this cd when it came out? I know many here aren't into power metal, and my interest in it today comes and goes, but this cd really has a nostalgic place in my heart, as I remember playing it to death when it came out. Anyway else?
"A Time Never Come" is one of the best Italian power metal discs, and in fact, it's one of the very best within the genre worldwide ... Everything about this is killer; vocals, guitars, rhythm section, keys - super song writing - very memorable tunes. Okay, the production isn't at same level like what Helloween, Blind Guardian, Stratovarius or Rhapsody came up with at the same time, but musically it's right up there.

They did a remake of the album years later when Michelle Luppi was their singer (for 3 albums), and it's pretty horrible to tell you the truth.

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:42 am
The debut CD is great - it's not as good as "A Time...", but it shows the potential of the band. Their album after "A Time..." ("Scent of Human Desire") was a stab at going commercial now that they inked a deal with Nuclear Blast, and it weren't nearly as good. Around this time I actually became involved with the band as manager, and we put out two albums together; "Heart & Anger" and "Sweet Blood Theory". Both of these are great in my opinion, so check them out. The following album "Archetype" is really good as well. I don't like the next three Luppi-fronted albums at all, but the last two (with Roberto Messina back) are pretty nice, although I don't really listen much to that genre anymore.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:34 am

Absolutely love this album. Certainly a top 10 of all power metal. For the most part, this is a band you can't go too wrong with, although this is DEFINITELY their high water mark. "Scent of Human Desire" sounds like they wanted to merge sleaze metal with power metal, and it works on a few tracks.... and DOESN'T work on several others. Honestly, check out their newest one next "Blackened Heartbeat". It has all the standard hallmarks of their sound, but has a heavier take to everything.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:10 pm

Glad to hear others enjoy it as well. And thanks for the info on the remake Claus. I never knew about it. While I do love Lupi on the first Vision Divine CD, I don't think I would like him with Secret Sphere, so I'll steer clear. Is it just the vocals that make the re-make bad? or did they change other things with it as well? And thanks guys about the other ones to check out as well.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:34 am

Glad to hear others enjoy it as well. And thanks for the info on the remake Claus. I never knew about it. While I do love Lupi on the first Vision Divine CD, I don't think I would like him with Secret Sphere, so I'll steer clear. Is it just the vocals that make the re-make bad? or did they change other things with it as well? And thanks guys about the other ones to check out as well.
It's not BAD, it's just not as good as the original and UTTERLY unnecessary.

I do suggest checking out the other Luppi fronted Secret Sphere albums; if you like Luppi's vocals, you'll like these albums.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:23 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:34 am
It's not BAD, it's just not as good as the original and UTTERLY unnecessary.

I do suggest checking out the other Luppi fronted Secret Sphere albums; if you like Luppi's vocals, you'll like these albums.

I'll check them out thanks. When it comes to Luppi, I loved the first Vision Divine he's on, but at the same time, sometimes his voice starts to bug me after awhile. I think it's because while he's incredibly talented, his voice doesn't have alot of depth to it and doesn't really change up his voice and it starts to grate on me after awhile. I don't know. It's hard to explain while his vocals sometimes bug me, but no dis-respect towards his obvious talent level.