Speakers vs Headphones

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

GaetanL

Speakers vs Headphones

Postby GaetanL » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:48 pm

I live in an apartment and most of the time I listen to music with headphones when I sit down and do nothing else.

I must have listened to Wolverine - "Communication Lost" with my headphones a thousand times since its release...

Tonight I sit down and listen to it with my speakers instead of with my headphones...

I love my speakers, I love my headphones, but I'm so used to hear this album with my headphones that tonight it sounds bad with my speakers, it sounds slower and distant...

I had to press stop!

In my case, headphones win hands down!

Back with my headphones...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

keifling

Re: Speakers vs Headphones

Postby keifling » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:17 am

I can't even listen to music out loud anymore. This summer I had one of those nights where I didn't sleep because I couldn't stop clicking play on another mp3 every time one ended; they all just sounded so dam good and I couldn't stop listening... So when the sun came up in the middle of my session, I loaded some on a flash drive to play in the car. Weird thing is I just couldn't get in to any of it that way. Had to go back to the headphones and I was enjoying them again.

Nos

Postby Nos » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:35 am

I would rather not use headphones, whenever possible. Even with a good set, the sound isn't quite right when it feels like it's already inside your head. Having it in the air makes it sound bigger, at least to me.

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:36 am

I use headphones at work and speakers at home.
I like the sound of headphones but they tend to be uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.
When my primary purpose of listening to music is for its energy, I stick to speakers.

MJ Brady

Postby MJ Brady » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:43 am

Need better speakers??
MJ

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:31 am

MJ Brady wrote:Need better speakers??

***Dude that's not your set up is it ??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:11 pm

There's a lot to be said for headphones ....... I know a few guys who have outrageous headphone set ups ......and for big $$$. I've got a set of Sennheiser phones I use sometimes when I want to block out the world, or hear something with almost just vocals ( think Loreena McKennitt ) or some other solo artist that is lyric driven.....

That said -- I prefer to listen to music with the speaker set up -- primarily because I want to feel the energy of the band like someone else mentioned, and I want to feel like I'm there in the room with the band ...... with headphones, I can't achieve this as the imaging is contained in the ears......

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:39 pm

I also sometimes prefer speakers, for example for movies or for some other albums. But for albums I like very very much, like Wolverine - "Communication Lost", I prefer headphones, I want to hear all the details! Also, I can crank up the volume as much as I want without disturbing the neighbors! :wink:

Maybe in an environment I could crank up very much the volume of the speakers, this could be different, but here I can't really do the test...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Return to “PM: Core”