Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby ToddS » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:53 pm

I see this Monday night.

Looking at Leprous set list is a big disappointment. They were quite good at PP the only time I’ve seen them live, but more than half this set is from Malina, Thats weak sauce. A song from Coal and nothing too heavy. Meh
Hope the Malina stuff comes off better live.

Haken has been incredible every time I’ve seen them.

Looking forward to seeing Bent Knee for the first time.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby introclaus » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:56 am

ToddS wrote:I see this Monday night.

Looking at Leprous set list is a big disappointment. They were quite good at PP the only time I’ve seen them live, but more than half this set is from Malina, Thats weak sauce. A song from Coal and nothing too heavy. Meh
Hope the Malina stuff comes off better live.

Haken has been incredible every time I’ve seen them.

Looking forward to seeing Bent Knee for the first time.


You’re correct that the set is very much geared towards the Malina and Congregation albums, but that’s also where most of their “casual” fan base is, so it would make little sense on a tour like this (which caters to the college crowd) to play a Coal/Bilateral/TPS heavy set - they can do that on their own tour but this is in essence Haken’s hipster neck beard flannel college tour.

Besides, Malina was 2017s best album and live it’s even better. This show is a visual and audial masterpiece.
Claus Jensen

User avatar
Mardoch
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby Mardoch » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:45 am

I'm pretty meh on The Congregation, but I love Malina so I have hopes for the set. Regardless they're stunning live so I'm not worried about being entertained.

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby introclaus » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:33 pm

Mardoch wrote:I'm pretty meh on The Congregation, but I love Malina so I have hopes for the set. Regardless they're stunning live so I'm not worried about being entertained.


I love all of their albums but probably The Congregation the least (which is still head and shoulders above 99.9% of all other releases out there) - that said, it starts and ends with two of their absolute strongest songs (The Price and Lower), so it has that going for it ;)

I do agree with you that there’s no reason to be worried about not being entertained no matter the set list - they are so charismatic and so “captivating” (which for such a proggy band is no little feat) that you’ll definitely be entertained.
Claus Jensen

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby ToddS » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:05 pm

introclaus wrote:
ToddS wrote:I see this Monday night.

Looking at Leprous set list is a big disappointment. They were quite good at PP the only time I’ve seen them live, but more than half this set is from Malina, Thats weak sauce. A song from Coal and nothing too heavy. Meh
Hope the Malina stuff comes off better live.

Haken has been incredible every time I’ve seen them.

Looking forward to seeing Bent Knee for the first time.


You’re correct that the set is very much geared towards the Malina and Congregation albums, but that’s also where most of their “casual” fan base is, so it would make little sense on a tour like this (which caters to the college crowd) to play a Coal/Bilateral/TPS heavy set - they can do that on their own tour but this is in essence Haken’s hipster neck beard flannel college tour.

Besides, Malina was 2017s best album and live it’s even better. This show is a visual and audial masterpiece.


That makes zero sense to me. Vector has some crushing heavy sections. I hoped that might inspire Leprous to follow suit and play at least a couple of oldies.

Aside from that do you really think Leprous will go back to that style? I don’t, and there is no evidence to them doing so. Don’t blame it on the tour. They have gradually changed their style to where they are now.

No doubt they are seriously talented. I just wish the set list was more diverse.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby introclaus » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:22 pm

ToddS wrote:
introclaus wrote:
ToddS wrote:I see this Monday night.

Looking at Leprous set list is a big disappointment. They were quite good at PP the only time I’ve seen them live, but more than half this set is from Malina, Thats weak sauce. A song from Coal and nothing too heavy. Meh
Hope the Malina stuff comes off better live.

Haken has been incredible every time I’ve seen them.

Looking forward to seeing Bent Knee for the first time.


You’re correct that the set is very much geared towards the Malina and Congregation albums, but that’s also where most of their “casual” fan base is, so it would make little sense on a tour like this (which caters to the college crowd) to play a Coal/Bilateral/TPS heavy set - they can do that on their own tour but this is in essence Haken’s hipster neck beard flannel college tour.

Besides, Malina was 2017s best album and live it’s even better. This show is a visual and audial masterpiece.


That makes zero sense to me. Vector has some crushing heavy sections. I hoped that might inspire Leprous to follow suit and play at least a couple of oldies.

Aside from that do you really think Leprous will go back to that style? I don’t, and there is no evidence to them doing so. Don’t blame it on the tour. They have gradually changed their style to where they are now.

No doubt they are seriously talented. I just wish the set list was more diverse.


How Haken has managed to crossover into that mainstream hipster crowd is beyond me - good for them.

That wasn’t my point at all .. however, my point is that this tour, from Leprous point of view should be all about gaining as many new fans from that particular audience as possible, and it would make zero sense to play older songs that hints at avant-garde Black Metal in parts or however people prefer to describe old Leprous. The hipster crowd won’t get it.

Now, that Leprous themselves have moved away from that style on their latest album(s) is their choice, and while I personally think that Coal is the best damn metal album in the last 20 years, Malina isn’t far behind. So, the harsh vocals have gone but it still is proggy and unique.

As far as diverse set list, that won’t be on a support tour where they are trying to gain new fans ...
Claus Jensen

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby ToddS » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:37 pm

introclaus wrote:
ToddS wrote:
introclaus wrote:
You’re correct that the set is very much geared towards the Malina and Congregation albums, but that’s also where most of their “casual” fan base is, so it would make little sense on a tour like this (which caters to the college crowd) to play a Coal/Bilateral/TPS heavy set - they can do that on their own tour but this is in essence Haken’s hipster neck beard flannel college tour.

Besides, Malina was 2017s best album and live it’s even better. This show is a visual and audial masterpiece.


That makes zero sense to me. Vector has some crushing heavy sections. I hoped that might inspire Leprous to follow suit and play at least a couple of oldies.

Aside from that do you really think Leprous will go back to that style? I don’t, and there is no evidence to them doing so. Don’t blame it on the tour. They have gradually changed their style to where they are now.

No doubt they are seriously talented. I just wish the set list was more diverse.


How Haken has managed to crossover into that mainstream hipster crowd is beyond me - good for them.

That wasn’t my point at all .. however, my point is that this tour, from Leprous point of view should be all about gaining as many new fans from that particular audience as possible, and it would make zero sense to play older songs that hints at avant-garde Black Metal in parts or however people prefer to describe old Leprous. The hipster crowd won’t get it.

Now, that Leprous themselves have moved away from that style on their latest album(s) is their choice, and while I personally think that Coal is the best damn metal album in the last 20 years, Malina isn’t far behind. So, the harsh vocals have gone but it still is proggy and unique.

As far as diverse set list, that won’t be on a support tour where they are trying to gain new fans ...


The change started with Coal which is a perfect blend of old and new, and a great record. They could have drawn some songs from Coal that would fit perfectly. Haken has a few songs with death vox themselves, and played that for the hipsters last tour. Lol

Basically what I’m saying is Leprous setlist on this tour is quite similar to their previous tours where they don’t play heavier songs. Looks to me this is just where they are for some time now. Nothing to do with Haken or hipsters.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby introclaus » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:22 pm

ToddS wrote:
introclaus wrote:
ToddS wrote:
That makes zero sense to me. Vector has some crushing heavy sections. I hoped that might inspire Leprous to follow suit and play at least a couple of oldies.

Aside from that do you really think Leprous will go back to that style? I don’t, and there is no evidence to them doing so. Don’t blame it on the tour. They have gradually changed their style to where they are now.

No doubt they are seriously talented. I just wish the set list was more diverse.


How Haken has managed to crossover into that mainstream hipster crowd is beyond me - good for them.

That wasn’t my point at all .. however, my point is that this tour, from Leprous point of view should be all about gaining as many new fans from that particular audience as possible, and it would make zero sense to play older songs that hints at avant-garde Black Metal in parts or however people prefer to describe old Leprous. The hipster crowd won’t get it.

Now, that Leprous themselves have moved away from that style on their latest album(s) is their choice, and while I personally think that Coal is the best damn metal album in the last 20 years, Malina isn’t far behind. So, the harsh vocals have gone but it still is proggy and unique.

As far as diverse set list, that won’t be on a support tour where they are trying to gain new fans ...


The change started with Coal which is a perfect blend of old and new, and a great record. They could have drawn some songs from Coal that would fit perfectly. Haken has a few songs with death vox themselves, and played that for the hipsters last tour. Lol

Basically what I’m saying is Leprous setlist on this tour is quite similar to their previous tours where they don’t play heavier songs. Looks to me this is just where they are for some time now. Nothing to do with Haken or hipsters.


Haken with death vocals would be preferable to the chick they have fronting them now... lol

Yeah as far as where Leprous has gone stylistically I don’t disagree - I don’t foresee them going backwards ... and why would they? The market is obviously larger for the style they are playing now than the avant-garde progressive black they started out with.
Claus Jensen

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby ToddS » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:50 pm

introclaus wrote:
ToddS wrote:
introclaus wrote:
How Haken has managed to crossover into that mainstream hipster crowd is beyond me - good for them.

That wasn’t my point at all .. however, my point is that this tour, from Leprous point of view should be all about gaining as many new fans from that particular audience as possible, and it would make zero sense to play older songs that hints at avant-garde Black Metal in parts or however people prefer to describe old Leprous. The hipster crowd won’t get it.

Now, that Leprous themselves have moved away from that style on their latest album(s) is their choice, and while I personally think that Coal is the best damn metal album in the last 20 years, Malina isn’t far behind. So, the harsh vocals have gone but it still is proggy and unique.

As far as diverse set list, that won’t be on a support tour where they are trying to gain new fans ...


The change started with Coal which is a perfect blend of old and new, and a great record. They could have drawn some songs from Coal that would fit perfectly. Haken has a few songs with death vox themselves, and played that for the hipsters last tour. Lol

Basically what I’m saying is Leprous setlist on this tour is quite similar to their previous tours where they don’t play heavier songs. Looks to me this is just where they are for some time now. Nothing to do with Haken or hipsters.


Haken with death vocals would be preferable to the chick they have fronting them now... lol

Yeah as far as where Leprous has gone stylistically I don’t disagree - I don’t foresee them going backwards ... and why would they? The market is obviously larger for the style they are playing now than the avant-garde progressive black they started out with.


We get it, you hate the Haken singer. FYI if you are interested, they have several great instrumental songs, plus instrumental version of their records including Vector.

So the setlist is not really the fault of Haken and hipsters after all. :wink:
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby introclaus » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:28 pm

ToddS wrote:
introclaus wrote:
ToddS wrote:
The change started with Coal which is a perfect blend of old and new, and a great record. They could have drawn some songs from Coal that would fit perfectly. Haken has a few songs with death vox themselves, and played that for the hipsters last tour. Lol

Basically what I’m saying is Leprous setlist on this tour is quite similar to their previous tours where they don’t play heavier songs. Looks to me this is just where they are for some time now. Nothing to do with Haken or hipsters.


Haken with death vocals would be preferable to the chick they have fronting them now... lol

Yeah as far as where Leprous has gone stylistically I don’t disagree - I don’t foresee them going backwards ... and why would they? The market is obviously larger for the style they are playing now than the avant-garde progressive black they started out with.


We get it, you hate the Haken singer. FYI if you are interested, they have several great instrumental songs, plus instrumental version of their records including Vector.

So the setlist is not really the fault of Haken and hipsters after all. :wink:


Hate is a strong word - he isn’t horrible, just weak. That’s why I’m glad I bought the version of Vector with the bonus disc.

Nah, but if I can find a way to blame anything on the hipsters or Haken I’ll be happy to do so.
Claus Jensen

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby ToddS » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:22 am

introclaus wrote:
ToddS wrote:
introclaus wrote:
Haken with death vocals would be preferable to the chick they have fronting them now... lol

Yeah as far as where Leprous has gone stylistically I don’t disagree - I don’t foresee them going backwards ... and why would they? The market is obviously larger for the style they are playing now than the avant-garde progressive black they started out with.


We get it, you hate the Haken singer. FYI if you are interested, they have several great instrumental songs, plus instrumental version of their records including Vector.

So the setlist is not really the fault of Haken and hipsters after all. :wink:


Hate is a strong word - he isn’t horrible, just weak. That’s why I’m glad I bought the version of Vector with the bonus disc.

Nah, but if I can find a way to blame anything on the hipsters or Haken I’ll be happy to do so.


Cool deal on getting the instrumental versions.
I hear you on the hipsters. Lol
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
Chris R
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: Tampa Bay

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby Chris R » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:08 pm

ToddS wrote:
introclaus wrote:
ToddS wrote:
We get it, you hate the Haken singer. FYI if you are interested, they have several great instrumental songs, plus instrumental version of their records including Vector.

So the setlist is not really the fault of Haken and hipsters after all. :wink:


Hate is a strong word - he isn’t horrible, just weak. That’s why I’m glad I bought the version of Vector with the bonus disc.

Nah, but if I can find a way to blame anything on the hipsters or Haken I’ll be happy to do so.


Cool deal on getting the instrumental versions.
I hear on the hipsters. Lol


Yeah..them hipsters at the show in Tanpa..
But at the same time if they are showing up at Haken shows(they are)and buying their music it helps them to want to come back down here again

Nessesary evil in guess
Tarja is a female woman
Image

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby ToddS » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:01 pm

Chris R wrote:
ToddS wrote:
introclaus wrote:
Hate is a strong word - he isn’t horrible, just weak. That’s why I’m glad I bought the version of Vector with the bonus disc.

Nah, but if I can find a way to blame anything on the hipsters or Haken I’ll be happy to do so.


Cool deal on getting the instrumental versions.
I hear on the hipsters. Lol


Yeah..them hipsters at the show in Tanpa..
But at the same time if they are showing up at Haken shows(they are)and buying their music it helps them to want to come back down here again

Nessesary evil in guess


Agree, and they seem pretty harmless to me.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6338
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby LarryD » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:35 pm

We were in church today - and my wife pointed out a kid wearing a Haken / Affinity sweatshirt ........ The "kid" was about 22 years old, and looked like he should be in front of an X-box all day, but hey -- we are old now ....... if this kid is wearing a Haken t-shirt - especially in Rhode Island - at church - then this kid has about as much chance of spreading the word as I did spreading the word about Queen when Saturday NIght Fever was taking over my high school ........ I was an outcast. This kid is also an outcast - but I'm guessing he somehow cons his parents into taking him to Boston to see Dream Theater - and some Boston dive club to see Haken ........

Good for him --- he is basically us 40 years ago ...... embrace them ......... :wink:

User avatar
zedowns
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby zedowns » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Just thought I'd mention Leprous is just as popular with the hipsters and maybe even moreso than Haken :-)

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby introclaus » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:17 pm

zedowns wrote:Just thought I'd mention Leprous is just as popular with the hipsters and maybe even moreso than Haken :-)


That would ruin my previous statements, so that’s not an acceptable comment.
Claus Jensen

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby ToddS » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:50 am

introclaus wrote:
zedowns wrote:Just thought I'd mention Leprous is just as popular with the hipsters and maybe even moreso than Haken :-)


That would ruin my previous statements, so that’s not an acceptable comment.


After seeing the show last night, this was my experience as well.

Some quick thoughts on the show. Some song spoilers.


Haken owned this shown hands down for me. No contest. Killer set from them as expected!
Falling Back To Earth, Veil and Nil :shock:

Of course Leprous is a tight band, but they didn’t have the intensity nor energy like the last time I saw their great set at PP. Set list was even more disappointing than I hoped as they were changing a few songs each night. What’s up with being in the dark on stage most of the time too? I did totally enjoyed 4-5 songs. Cello player was a nice touch. Set seemed to drone on after a while though. The darkness didn’t help.

Bent Knee is so quirky, but I really enjoyed their short set. Their singer has an unbelievable voice. She crushed it and then some live!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
Mardoch
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby Mardoch » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Yeah, that lady fronting Bent Knee has an absolutely killer clear tone! She can really wail, and it sounds great. Very weird, but I think my brand of weird. I bought their most recent disc from their table to try out.

Leprous was disappointing, tbh. I didn't expect that. They played more droning tunes than setlists previous, and their passion was not the same as I've experienced before. Maybe the small crowd threw em off, I dunno, but it definitely was not the best I've seen them.

Haken was stellar, per the usual. Ross sounded better than I've heard him before (STUFF IT, CLAUS HE WAS GREAT!) and everyone was on their A game despite the crowd size.

Also, I was fuckin useless at work today, lol. Every time I do weeknight shows that involve just under 200 miles of driving I intensely feel my ever-growing age.

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby introclaus » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Mardoch wrote:Yeah, that lady fronting Bent Knee has an absolutely killer clear tone! She can really wail, and it sounds great. Very weird, but I think my brand of weird. I bought their most recent disc from their table to try out.

Leprous was disappointing, tbh. I didn't expect that. They played more droning tunes than setlists previous, and their passion was not the same as I've experienced before. Maybe the small crowd threw em off, I dunno, but it definitely was not the best I've seen them.

Haken was stellar, per the usual. Ross sounded better than I've heard him before (STUFF IT, CLAUS HE WAS GREAT!) and everyone was on their A game despite the crowd size.

Also, I was fuckin useless at work today, lol. Every time I do weeknight shows that involve just under 200 miles of driving I intensely feel my ever-growing age.


Last week I did two shows in two days and it was rough on me as well ... gosh it’s not easy getting old.
Claus Jensen

User avatar
Chris R
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: Tampa Bay

Re: Haken - Vector - my track-by-track review

Postby Chris R » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Did not like Bent Knee at all
Gave them 2 songs before I stepped out of the venue
Way too quirky for me
Tarja is a female woman

Image


Return to “PM: Core”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests