Some PPUSA thoughts

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

dwhitt

Some PPUSA thoughts

Postby dwhitt » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:55 pm

Surprises:

Voyager - I like their music, but am not a real fan of the vocal melodies so I have not purchased their stuff. I thought their performance was top notch.

Cellar Darling - I was not expecting anything from this band and thoroughly enjoyed their set.

Labyrinth - I don't know whether it was just nostalgia or what, but I enjoyed this set perhaps the most over the week. I find it utterly surprising as I have long since dispensed with this style of music. There was just something about it that drew me in.

Vuur - Really good set. Usually I like energy all the way through a live show. But I found myself completely into the acoustic numbers for some reason.

Eclipse - The limp wrist in me just can't help but like these guys.

Mixed feelings:

Nocturnal Rites - I really like these guys and was eagerly anticipating them. I was a bit disappointed that the vocalist was having issues because that is one of the things I enjoy most about the band. It could not be helped though, so I got over it pretty quick and still enjoyed the performance.

Angra - Enjoyed the music, but was having a hard time listening to and watching Fabio.

Redemption - The start was very slow I thought. After a few songs though, they kicked it up. Tom mentioned being a bit nervous and I think it showed. When in Evergrey he totally owns it, as front man for Redemption, he seemed to back off a bit. I suppose being completely confident when you haven't had the rehearsal time with the band is asking a bit much, but it detracted a little from the performance I think.

Sons of Apollo - What I enjoyed also got old for me. I guess I just don't don't get into the lengthy widdly stuff as much as I used to.

Alestorm - These guys are not my thing. After the initial entertainment value, it kind of loses momentum for me. Musically it's basically a one trick horse as well. There is no denying that they got a big crowd response though and had some totally entertaining moments. A guy with a shark head coming out to sing a bit and then proceeding to try to bite other band members heads was visually humorous. They had the best mosh pit of the festival. They managed to get 20+ people on their asses on the floor mock rowing. Anyone that can compel that many people to sit in heaven knows what all skudge was on that floor is doing something I guess. Then there was the 7 foot blow up duck. It was visually silly while it sat on stage. Equally silly as it got bounced around in the audience. But the part that made me laugh out loud was when the singer asked the crowd to do a "Walking Dead" on it and eat its brains. It wasn't so much how quickly the duck was taken down, it was the singers reaction to it being taken down so quickly that made me laugh out loud. You kinda had to been there to see and hear it, but it was funny. It was a "Holy shit, that was terrifying" kind of sentiment.

Don't even know what to say really:

Gloryhammer

LarryD:

Don't worry...your secret is safe with me. I will never tell anyone about you rocking out to Manimal down on the floor during their set. I would really hate it if some sort of "angry prog mob" came to forcibly take your prog card away from you. Mums the word buddy.

Glenn Harveston:

I WANNA HAVE YOUR BABY! - did i say that outloud?

In all sincerity...I feel like what you have done is remarkable. My initial thoughts way back when were that this kind of festival would be logistically unlikely at best, and near next to impossible at worst given the circumstances at the time. You managed to do what others just talk about.

Despite your efforts, I inevitably read or hear negative comments about some aspect of the festival every year. "My favorite band got blah blah blahed somehow and I don't like it cause they are the only reason I showed up..." Well go to their next concert then and be happy...oh wait....you can't cause the only US appearance was at PPUSA. You're welcome asshole. This type of package in the US, in this kind of format, run with this kind of efficiency is really something to complain about...NOT.

From me to you...Thanks for the effort and the memories bud. See you next year.

Guillaume

Re: Some PPUSA thoughts

Postby Guillaume » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:44 pm

dwhitt wrote:
LarryD:

Don't worry...your secret is safe with me. I will never tell anyone about you rocking out to Manimal down on the floor during their set. I would really hate it if some sort of "angry prog mob" came to forcibly take your prog card away from you. Mums the word buddy.

Haha! Larry loves Manimal. And the InnerWish-s/t disc was in his top 5 of 2016 as well as the Sorcerer disc last year. He can have great taste at times!! :lol: :lol:

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Each set in one sentence:

ROSS THE BOSS: Very interesting for fans, but left me rather cold, although Mike LePond rocks the bass guitar.
GLORYHAMMER: Cheesy power metal with personality and original presentation, and infectious good humor like the silly Astral Hammer skits.
NOCTURNAL RITES: Somewhat stodgy but musically excellent and Per Nilsson owns the guitar.
VOYAGER: Incredibly fun and musically virtuosos, with enough surprises and tricks to keep me grinning for two hours, including the infamous Africa segment.

CELLAR DARLING: Too tame and don't really excel in any one genre of music, but with moments to capture.
OCEANS OF SLUMBER: Hypnotic and haunting of the sort that sucks you in like Green Carnation, with killer musicianship too.
DORO: Up-tempo old-school metal with one of the best female vocalists you'll ever find in the genre.
ANGRA: Not as impressive as their previous set, but with plenty of stellar musicianship and a variety of prime cuts.

MANIMAL: Rather restrained but perfectly executed stage and musical presentation from the best Judas Priest impersonators around.
PERSEFONE: Utter world domination in musical form, from ridiculous technicality to incredible energy from the harsh vocalist and incredible sonic immersion.
BLOODBOUND: Standard Euro PM that lacks the originality and personality of Gloryhammer and failed to keep me interested for more than ten minutes.
LABYRINTH: A bit more lightweight-feeling on stage than it could be, but a very tight performance with great singing.
REDEMPTION: My last major bucket list band fires all the bells and whistles and leaves me an emotional wreck in three separate instances, making this set a life highlight.
SONS OF APOLLO: Sheer prog perfection, with every member including the singer performing a solo and showing off boundless energy despite needing to fly to Japan in three hours.

TRIOSPHERE: Sonically and musically incredible, renewing my interest in this band, and with the sweetest people imaginable, particularly Ida Haukland who I got to know after the show ended.
ECLIPSE: The most energetic singer I've ever seen on the PP stage, enough to overcome some dreadful sound issues at the beginning to bring the house down with old-school rock power.
SOEN: Even more haunting and dark than Oceans of Slumber to the point I had trouble sitting through the set, but for this laid-back style of music very difficult to beat.
VUUR: A band that polarized many fans in studio feels more suitable to the stage, where their grinding and sometimes dissonant Devin Townsend-like wall of sound can hit with the requisite force and reverb, although I probably liked Anneke's acoustic segments the best still.
ALESTORM: One of the most frenzied spectacles I've ever seen and possibly one of the best ever PP sets, with a bevy of crowd sing-alongs, hilarious banter, and classic moments like the one still talked about today...THE DUCK!!
TARJA: A legendary metal vocalist remains very good, but has consigned herself to second-rate musical surroundings, which as much as I was hoping to like this, made for an enormous letdown after Alestorm.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:50 am

outprogged42 wrote:Each set in one sentence:

ROSS THE BOSS: Very interesting for fans, but left me rather cold, although Mike LePond rocks the bass guitar.
GLORYHAMMER: Cheesy power metal with personality and original presentation, and infectious good humor like the silly Astral Hammer skits.
NOCTURNAL RITES: Somewhat stodgy but musically excellent and Per Nilsson owns the guitar.
VOYAGER: Incredibly fun and musically virtuosos, with enough surprises and tricks to keep me grinning for two hours, including the infamous Africa segment.

CELLAR DARLING: Too tame and don't really excel in any one genre of music, but with moments to capture.
OCEANS OF SLUMBER: Hypnotic and haunting of the sort that sucks you in like Green Carnation, with killer musicianship too.
DORO: Up-tempo old-school metal with one of the best female vocalists you'll ever find in the genre.
ANGRA: Not as impressive as their previous set, but with plenty of stellar musicianship and a variety of prime cuts.

MANIMAL: Rather restrained but perfectly executed stage and musical presentation from the best Judas Priest impersonators around.
PERSEFONE: Utter world domination in musical form, from ridiculous technicality to incredible energy from the harsh vocalist and incredible sonic immersion.
BLOODBOUND: Standard Euro PM that lacks the originality and personality of Gloryhammer and failed to keep me interested for more than ten minutes.
LABYRINTH: A bit more lightweight-feeling on stage than it could be, but a very tight performance with great singing.
REDEMPTION: My last major bucket list band fires all the bells and whistles and leaves me an emotional wreck in three separate instances, making this set a life highlight.
SONS OF APOLLO: Sheer prog perfection, with every member including the singer performing a solo and showing off boundless energy despite needing to fly to Japan in three hours.

TRIOSPHERE: Sonically and musically incredible, renewing my interest in this band, and with the sweetest people imaginable, particularly Ida Haukland who I got to know after the show ended.
ECLIPSE: The most energetic singer I've ever seen on the PP stage, enough to overcome some dreadful sound issues at the beginning to bring the house down with old-school rock power.
SOEN: Even more haunting and dark than Oceans of Slumber to the point I had trouble sitting through the set, but for this laid-back style of music very difficult to beat.
VUUR: A band that polarized many fans in studio feels more suitable to the stage, where their grinding and sometimes dissonant Devin Townsend-like wall of sound can hit with the requisite force and reverb, although I probably liked Anneke's acoustic segments the best still.
ALESTORM: One of the most frenzied spectacles I've ever seen and possibly one of the best ever PP sets, with a bevy of crowd sing-alongs, hilarious banter, and classic moments like the one still talked about today...THE DUCK!!
TARJA: A legendary metal vocalist remains very good, but has consigned herself to second-rate musical surroundings, which as much as I was hoping to like this, made for an enormous letdown after Alestorm.

Nice and succinct and I find rather little to disagree with.

Return to “PM: Core”