New Redemption song / video just released 9/10

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

nvandyk

New Redemption song / video just released 9/10

Postby nvandyk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:55 pm

Hello friends.

We have just released the song / video for Someone Else's Problem.

Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQKHm_l-vcc

Chris R

Re: New Redemption song / video just released 9/10

Postby Chris R » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:01 pm

This video is off the charts on every level epic..

Love the subject matter as well.....
Tarja is a female woman

Nos

Postby Nos » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:26 pm

nvandyk wrote:Hello friends.

Check it out!

That's one of my favorites on the record. It's another quality Redemption album.

nvandyk

Postby nvandyk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Thanks to you both for the kind words! Glad you like the record, Nos!

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:58 pm

I really wanted to wait for the full release to listen to any of this, but with a full fledged video I could not resist.

The guitar work, especially the dueling leads, is phenomenal. Tom sounds great, and I'll be very interested to see how he sounds on the older material. Ray is a tough act to follow, but Tom ain't no slouch!

Nice work.... Very excited for the full release.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Nos

Postby Nos » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:59 pm

nvandyk wrote:Thanks to you both for the kind words! Glad you like the record, Nos!

So far, I always have. You'll be seeing my piece sometime relatively soon.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:00 pm

nvandyk wrote:Hello friends.

Check it out!

It's excellent! Tom fits great with the band, even though a bit more "reserved" than with Evergrey. I shared it on my FB! :)

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:40 am

Guillaume wrote:
nvandyk wrote:
It's excellent! Tom fits great with the band, even though a bit more "reserved" than with Evergrey. I shared it on my FB! :)

I think it's just the nature of the vocal lines. Yeah, I expected him to be blowing the doors off, but he's much more aggressive in Evergrey. Then again, *something* in Evergrey needs to be aggressive...

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:13 pm

There's a great, long interview with Nick here:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-nick-van-dyk/

I'd think it's pretty much mandatory for any Redemption fan.

I guess it stands to reason that Tom came into Redemption not wanting to be 'Evergrey Tom', to the point where he's not playing guitar and is laying back a bit vocally. Tom's job in Evergrey is to sound anguished; Tom's job in Redemption is different.

Anyway, very enlightening conversation.

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:43 pm

The interview is fantastic content-wise but having to listen to Gonzo's really loud breathing into his mic while Nick is talking is pretty irritating. Turn your head a little bit or something.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Didn't get to the interview yet, but very nice song.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:14 am

Nick and Tom in the same band -- that still blows my mind ....... and I love this song. Tom looks very relaxed and laid back, which is really cool to see, like he fits right in....... I think this disc is going to blow a lot of minds........can't wait.

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I've penned my review of this album, so if you are interested, here's the link:

https://manofmuchmetal.com/2018/07/24/r ... um-review/

I hope you like/agree!

Cheers,
Matt
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

BC

Postby BC » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:36 pm

The album is exceeding my expectations so far. Nick really nailed this one!
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

elendil

Postby elendil » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:08 am

I'm really liking this album. The guitar work is blistering, at times thrashy - not at all a bad thing in moderate doses. Tom Englund's vocals are more restrained and less anguished than in Evergrey, which fits the music.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:37 pm

I am absolutely in love with this disc. Tom proves that he is exactly what this band needed after the departure of Ray and his bigger, more soulful "gospel" style delivery not only really fits the emotion of the music, but sounds very suitable to the uplifting portions of the music - something we never would hear him sing in Evergrey. The production is first class, their best alongside Snowfall; the musicianship all around is impeccable and the bass and drums in particular are absolutely stellar; the flashes of a new musical direction are evident here and there; the lyrical content is, as always, incredibly deep and powerful, with quite a good selection of positive messages mixed into the darkness.

In fact, Indulge in Color and the title track have really been helpful as of late and the title track is basically giving me the strength to keep fighting during a very rough and confusing time in my life. Based off that in combination with the musical quality, this disc is likely going to be AOTY. Will be publishing a review as soon as I can sort through all of that to figure out what to say.

nvandyk

Postby nvandyk » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:43 am

Hello friends. I try not to impose myself on discussions related to our music, but this...

outprogged42 wrote:Indulge in Color and the title track have really been helpful as of late and the title track is basically giving me the strength to keep fighting during a very rough and confusing time in my life.

...affected me deeply. If anything we do helps anybody even a little, it is a profound honor. I hope things continue to improve for you.

Never stop fighting.
Last edited by nvandyk on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:59 am

Well said.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:56 pm

nvandyk wrote:Hello friends. I try not to impose myself on discussions related to our music, but this...

outprogged42 wrote:Indulge in Color and the title track have really been helpful as of late and the title track is basically giving me the strength to keep fighting during a very rough and confusing time in my life.

...affected me deeply. If anything we do helps anybody even a little, it is a profound honor. I hope things continue to improve for you.

Never stop fighting.

I am humbled to hear this, Nick. I hope you recognize me when I say this is the third time in a row this has happened as a result of your albums. And that I just finished writing my piece on the title track and something happened while I was writing the ending that I just can't describe.

And I know I wouldn't trade anything for seeing your set this year.

nvandyk

Postby nvandyk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:04 am

outprogged42 wrote:I am humbled to hear this, Nick. I hope you recognize me when I say this is the third time in a row this has happened as a result of your albums. And that I just finished writing my piece on the title track and something happened while I was writing the ending that I just can't describe.

And I know I wouldn't trade anything for seeing your set this year.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm very happy with the title track. It took on a life of its own. And I rather like the "keep on dreaming" refrain. Again, if you found it useful in someway, I'm very happy.

Re: the set...it's going to be a special show, I think. :)

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:13 am

OK, so I was one of the ones who was a little concerned when I heard Tom was replacing Ray.... Not because I don't think Tom is more than capable (I LOVE Evergrey!) but simply because I was suspicious of trying to combine two of my favorites into one.

And yet....

....all I can say is that this disc is absolutely MAGICAL. I am trying to let it sit for a few days, and listen to other stuff then come back and see how I feel, but honestly after spinning this several times I think this album is not only the best album of THIS year, but I think it has been MANY years since I have enjoyed a disc this much.

Seriously. It is that damn good.

With Redemption, I expect every disc to be a top contender for the year, and they always are...... But there is something different about this album, beyond just Tom. Take the vocals out completely, and musically I think this is their best album to date. The talent exhibited throughout is absolutely sickening. Chris Quirarte is my favorite metal drummer, and he absolutely shines here. The keyboards also have a bit of a different sound to them then previously...... It's often times very small things, a few notes here or there, but they add an extra dimension to the music. There's a very small run at the end of the solos in "Someone Else's Problem" that sort of reflects what I'm referring to. And the soloing! Holy BALLS the solos on this disc are sick! After the first three tracks, I almost felt like there was TOO MUCH soloing (if that is even possible), as any time the vocals would take a short break, in came at least one if not more amazing leads to fill the gap. It's non-stop at points. It reminds me of a high intensity action movie that never slows down to allow you to catch your breath. After subsequent listens, it works amazing well here, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend other bands try copying the formula, as I think in most cases it would really sound like overkill.

Lyrics are, as always, a strong suit..... So personal, so heartfelt, so HONEST. Nick has had tunes that I could 100% relate to (Sapphire!) but not so much on this album.... But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the raw, exposed emotion shown throughout. "The Echo Chamber" might be my favorite overall track (the rhythm section throughout is godly!), but there are so many good tracks it's even hard to pin that down. "And Yet" is one of the most beautiful songs I have heard in a long time. You know it right from the very beginning of the tune.... The haunting piano, with this absolutely PERFECT off-key little trill, then layering Tom's soulful voice over it..... I can listen to this song alone on repeat over and over.

Oh, and the cover of New Year's Day???? LOL..... I had popped the CD in while driving, and completely forgot that was on the disc so when it came on I just burst out laughing..... Of course, it is done impeccably by taking the U2 version and metaling it up just right..... Somehow, it feels a little odd to be in the middle of the disc, rather than at the end, but it still works.

Nick and crew, once again you have outdone yourself. I'm really NOT trying to be over the top on the praise here, but this is an AMAZING album. I never thought "Fullness of Time" would be topped (and I FIRMLY believe Sapphire never will be!) but honestly..... I think this album HAS topped "Fullness".
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:02 pm

USPS finally found my package and delivered it today. This is on my listening list for tomorrow. Based on the glowing reviews so far I should be in for a treat.

dspot

Postby dspot » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Having had a chance to absorb this for a week now, adding to the opinion that this is 1) their best yet and 2) strong contender for the album of the year. It's that good.

Two main reasons:
1) Songwriting tweaks> melodies seem a bit more accessible as compared to Art. Within all of technicalities of Redemption music, there is a more pronounced groove, melody, singability for lack of a better word. Secondly, Art for me had too much soloing, it had a bit of wankfest fatigue for me (still dig the album). Here, there is just the right amount of solos. Plus they're again more melodic and less shreddy
2) production > their best yet and it allows everybody to be heard cleanly and crisply. As someone mentioned, the star of this mix is Chris - his drumming is amazing here. I personally didn't love production of Art and Coil, but did like Snowfall, Origin and Fullness - go figure. But this album is tight.

I didn't put Tom as the difference make on this album. Not because of his performance - he is awesome - but stylistically, it's not too far from Ray's. It sounds like a Redemption record and those who are nervous about Ray's departure, don't be.

All in all, a tip of a hat to Nick and company. Their best IMHO. Making a trek to see them in LA.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Just watched this video for the first time! Cool video!
Yesterday I listened to the album for the first time! I now read the lyrics on my 55" TV. Unfortunately, I haven't found the lyrics of this album online so I was reading the lyrics in the CD booklet with a flashlight! It's a bit dark in my living room... Redemption is probably the only band that I read the lyrics on first listen...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Return to “PM: Core”