Maiden United - Empire of the Clouds

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

introclaus

Maiden United - Empire of the Clouds

Postby introclaus » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:01 pm

One word: breathtaking!

I love this band and especially the first two albums. The third one was “meh”...

The fact that it’s not Damien Wilson singing on the new album almost steered me away from picking it up, but I’m so glad I gave it a shot. This is a 1-song-in-4-parts album (plus 3 live versions of the last 3 parts as a bonus) amounting to ~45 minutes of playtime. Not a lot but it’s being sold at EP price so I guess it’s fair enough.

The song being performed is apparently from the latest Iron Maiden album ... I wouldn’t know as I didn’t give that one a fair shot, but seeing how epic the song is (at least in this arrangement) I’m beginning to reconsider and will have to go back and check out that album.

Huge, epic and super melodic! And, vocalist Wudstik is amazing! What a voice. Some might know him from ayreon’s 10010101010110101010 (or whatever it’s called) album, but in fact he is a rapper/hip hop/r’n’b artist ... dang ... what a talented dude.

Okay enough talk - just go check out this album.
Claus Jensen

BC

Re: Maiden United - Empire of the Clouds

Postby BC » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:59 pm

The Ayreon album in question is 01011001. The Binary Album is also an acceptable alternative.

Why do you guys do this to me?
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:23 pm

BC wrote:The Ayreon album in question is 01011001. The Binary Album is also an acceptable alternative.

Do what?

That album title will forever stand as one of the stupidest ever because no one in their sound mind will be able to remember it :)
Claus Jensen

sez

Postby sez » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:43 pm

It's the binary code of the ASCII symbol for "Y". As in, why? Maybe that makes it easier to remember.....

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Maiden United is really well done across the board. Haven’t heard this one.

The last album IM was ok, but could have been special with a Martin Birch on board. Needed better arrangements and production. Some trimming too.

I have all the MU releases, and will check out as well.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

zedowns

Postby zedowns » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:40 pm

So this seems like a good place for my first post...

Are you familiar with For All We Know? Wudstik is the vocalist and a bunch of other prog musicians like Leo Maragarit and Kristoffer Gildenlow are in the band. Its not the most original stuff but man, Wudstik's voice is really something else.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:43 pm

zedowns wrote:So this seems like a good place for my first post...

Are you familiar with For All We Know? Wudstik is the vocalist and a bunch of other prog musicians like Leo Maragarit and Kristoffer Gildenlow are in the band. Its not the most original stuff but man, Wudstik's voice is really something else.

I did not know about that - thanks for the heads up. I’ll check it out for sure. He is an amazing singer.
Claus Jensen

BC

Postby BC » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:24 pm

introclaus wrote:
BC wrote:The Ayreon album in question is 01011001. The Binary Album is also an acceptable alternative.

Do what?

That album title will forever stand as one of the stupidest ever because no one in their sound mind will be able to remember it :)

Claus, I’m a huge Ayreon fan and back when the album came out, people were typing the name wrong. I’d correct them, then they would intentionally mistype it to good-naturedly troll me. I thought you were just falling back in an old, weak joke.
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

Return to “PM: Core”