The Night Flight Orchestra - new single

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

introclaus

The Night Flight Orchestra - new single

Postby introclaus » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:58 am

Lovers in the Rain
https://youtu.be/f7zcmpdg0so

Really awesome tune. Probably listened 20+ times already this morning. Love it.
Played it for my 7-year old son in the car. His first comment was "They sound like ABBA". And yes, sure enough, this song is definitely ABBA inspired.

c.
Claus Jensen

Mardoch

Re: The Night Flight Orchestra - new single

Postby Mardoch » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:27 pm

I absolutely adore NFO and what they do.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:49 am

The entire new album is killer!!! My son and I had it on repeat all day yesterday - so far I’d say “Barcelona”, “Speedwagon”, “Lovers in the Rain” (with its ABBA leanings) and the title song are the best tunes but it might change as every single song here is phenomenal.

I’m never gonna be a Björn Strid fan but I can accept his voice enough to where it doesn’t really bother me anymore, and when the music is this awesome it’s the sum of the parts that makes it all good :)

Funny how the Swedes (and Germans) used to have this (un)healthy relationship to all things AOR in the early 80s ... it seemed like Foreigner, Richard Marx, Flock of Seaguls, Journey, REO Speedwagon and even David Hasselhoff (!) had their biggest audience outside of the states in Sweden and in Germany, so it’s probably no wonder that a Swedish band on a German label releases this blatant rip-off / tribute to all things AOR in 2018 ;)
Claus Jensen

The Surfing Alien

Postby The Surfing Alien » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 pm

Wow, moving even further into synth pop territory. This is pretty nice. I like it more than previous albums, which seemed to be lacking that certain something. Strid's vocals maybe. A little too wooden/harsh/accented for this music, though this sounds better than before . As an avid melodic rock listener, I'd say this is still not the best of genre though.
I like this as retro synth pop goes https://youtu.be/R9Q5op1wmtU

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:23 pm

The Surfing Alien wrote:Wow, moving even further into synth pop territory. This is pretty nice. I like it more than previous albums, which seemed to be lacking that certain something. Strid's vocals maybe. A little too wooden/harsh/accented for this music, though this sounds better than before . As an avid melodic rock listener, I'd say this is still not the best of genre though.
I like this as retro synth pop goes https://youtu.be/R9Q5op1wmtU

I don’t think those compares - NFO isn’t retro-synth pop like that one, NFO is retro-AOR. Two different genres ...

But then again, that’s what’s so amazing about music; we all hear something different:)
Claus Jensen

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:33 pm

Interesting thoughts I have (picking this up soon )
Kinda on subject but kinda on a tangent.
The entire melo death sound is what..if you figure it started in earnest 1995...going on 25 years soon..most of these musicians are at least in their 40s if not mid 50s..
While I know the "your never too old to be heavy" mantra still is in play..just the physical nature of the music,especially the growlies,makes certain musicians have a shorter shelf life than in the other sub genres(and wr are seeing our peers we all grew up with also getting up there but still for the most part still be able to do it)
I'm wondering if NFO is a sign of these musicians starting to evolve and move on to having projects that aren't as taxing as their main gigs...
We already have seen Opeth morph into what they have for better or worse mainly because Akerdfelt cannot growl anymore his voice is shot 100%...
And Strids have become less and less harsh even 10 years ago..

Going to be interesting in the next 5 to10 years what happens with all the classic death metal bands we likes... some will probably fade into obscurity(like In Flames seems to )..
Tarja is a female woman

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Tarja is a female woman

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:51 am

What a feeling...

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:44 pm

https://youtu.be/5CHOkDc5cw8

Ok
I probably lose every ounce of prog cred posting this song here and admitting I have had this song on repeat the past 2 days(OK..my gf gets some blame )

All this needs is the Solid Gold dancers to be a legit top 10 hit from 1980
Tarja is a female woman

Return to “PM: Core”