2018 So Far

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Sir Exar Kun

2018 So Far

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:40 pm

Not trying to put together any sort of top ten yet or anything..... But I found myself in the car the other day amazed at the number of QUALITY new discs I had in the rotation. Normally I try and mix up some old with the new, but I've got such a backlog of new stuff to spin that I've ONLY been playing new stuff on the commute. Most of this I'm still trying to digest.... A few I haven't played at all.... Key point is I'm just impressed at how much GOOD stuff has dropped in the last few months. I will say this though: none of them have been the grand slam AOTY type disc just yet. Still waiting for that magical disc of the year to jump out. (Hint: Redemption???)

Here's what's being played lately:

Soul Doubt
New Horizons
Melted Space
Amorphis
Therion
Ayreon live
Millennium Reign
Tomorrow's Eve
Arena
Lords of Black
Ostura
Almanac
Leviathan
Eldritch
Hekz
Core Leone
Kamelot
Royal Hunt

This doesn't even count the pre-order stuff on the way (Tokix, Spocks Beard, Flower Kings box set, plus who knows what else I'm forgetting)

Solid, solid year.....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Nos

Re: 2018 So Far

Postby Nos » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:57 pm

There's beem a solid amount of good stuff, I agree. Though not all metal-ish, my favorites so far are:

Ghost - Prequelle
Light The Torch - Revival
W.E.T. - Earthrage
The Spider Accomplice - Los Angeles: The Dichotomy
Graveyard - Peace
Temperance - Of Jupiters and Moons
The Longshot - Love Is For Losers

AllMediaReviews

Postby AllMediaReviews » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:14 pm

This is my list that came out about 1 month ago.

1. The Family Crest - The War: Act I
2. Kindo - Happy However After
3. Grimus - Unmanageable Species
4. Typhoon - Offerings
5. The Gloomcatcher - Blade in the Belfry [EP]
6. Long Distance Calling - Boundless
7. Galactic Cowboys - Long Way Back to the Moon
8. Kimbra - Primal Heart
9. Orphaned Land - Unsung Prophets and Dead Messiahs
10. In Vain - Currents
11. The Dear Hunter - All Is as All Should Be [EP]
12. Esperanza Spalding - Exposure
13. Kai Danzberg - Pop-Up Radio
14. Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pacifisticuffs
15. The Faceless - In Becoming a Ghost
16. U2 - Songs of Experience
17. Tax the Heat - Change Your Position
18. Between the Buried and Me - Automata I [EP]
19, StellaRoma - Revel and Ritual
20. Inferi - Revenant
21. Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer
22. Field Music - Open Here
23. Josh Rouse - Love in the Modern Age
24. God is an Astronaut - Epitaph
25. Umbrellaman - Volcano Beach [EP]
26. Harakiri - Alchemy Choir
27. Umphrey's McGee - It's Not Us
28. Nicholas Krgovich - In an Open Field

Haven't Listened

The Dang Ol' Tri'ole - Dang!
Gleb Kolyadin - Gleb Kolyadin
Jeremy Messersmith - Late Stage Capitalism
The Decemberists - I'll Be Your Girl
Yossi Sassi and the Oriental Rock Orchestra - Illusion of Choice

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Subsignal, Kamelot, Ostura, Therion, and Arena are all winners with me so far. I've got Melted Space on my list and need to catch up with Amorphis. Beyond that I likely won't find time to check out much but who knows.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:06 am

Not trying to put together any sort of top ten yet or anything..... But I found myself in the car the other day amazed at the number of QUALITY new discs I had in the rotation. Normally I try and mix up some old with the new, but I've got such a backlog of new stuff to spin that I've ONLY been playing new stuff on the commute. Most of this I'm still trying to digest.... A few I haven't played at all.... Key point is I'm just impressed at how much GOOD stuff has dropped in the last few months. I will say this though: none of them have been the grand slam AOTY type disc just yet. Still waiting for that magical disc of the year to jump out. (Hint: Redemption???)

***Cool list !!!!! Lots of them will actually be on my Top 10 list - I do find it strange that one of these discs isn't your #1 disc ....... that said, here are my thoughts on these discs ........

Soul Doubt -
This 2-CD set is so hard to get into initially...... As a matter of fact, I shelved it just because of that reason. This one requires full attention, time, and absorbing. If you can't listen to this in that way - there is no pay off. Once you provide the attention it requires, the disc starts to become visible and you can hear how much time and detail went into this thing. Should it be a 1-disc release ? Yes, for many reasons ..... but kudos to this unknown Italian band for being ballsy.

New Horizons -
Have not heard this one yet. Unless I heard some samples and forgot what it was like. :?:

Melted Space -
I've tried many times to get into this band .... I love these huge, over the top metal operas, but this one is a five-cheese special. They've got the ingredients to make this great, the singers, the writing, the playing, etc ...... but this band takes the cheese and dumps it on in droves. Way too much for me........

Amorphis -
What I've heard of this disc, is awesome. They started to lose me with the last disc or two, but this one seems to find the energy and power to kick start my interest once again, even in spite of the growlies, which at this point in my life, are welcome. On my next order list.

Therion -
A whopping 3-disc set that no one seems to talk about since it's release. I've only heard disc 1, and it was enough to stop from moving forward. What a strange thing for a band this big, to release a 3-disc set, and not hear anything about it. What I have heard was boring, and repetitive. Those who have heard the whole thing say it's boring and repetitive. Sad.

Ayreon live -
I only have the Bluray, so if that counts as a Top 10 addition, consider this in my Top 10 list. Or I could just say I have the CD and go from there. This is beyond amazing, especially the show itself. I don't buy CDs and DVDs together anymore, unless they come in the same box. I use the audio from the DVD show if I want the music. Sure, it's a few more clicks of the remote to play it, and it sucks that I can't take it in the car with me, but something this epic deserves the main sound system each and every time.

Millennium Reign -
Have not heard of this.

Tomorrow's Eve -
If this doesn't make my #1 disc of the year, it will indeed be # 2. This disc is completely kicking my ass from top to bottom. Every song is excellent, no filler, it's aggressive, it's melodic, and prog metal from one of the better bands who just don't seem to get the recognition they deserve. it didn't help that they disappeared for 10 years, but this is some come back. They have all kicked it up a notch, especially Martin LeMar, who sounds fabulous here, and hasn't lost a note. I spooge over this thing every time I play it, and rather than keep on yelling about how great it is, I hope that it reaches more people and they can mirror my excitement.

Arena -
Another surprise disc for me. I did not care for the previous Paul Manzi discs, and it's possible this disc could have been strike 3 and I'm done. Somehow, they turned the tables on me and this is the best Manzi disc to date, although that can be debated. What I do know, is that Arena decided to pull a Symphony X and "go back" to their original sound for their fans and incorporate it into their newer sound. it works !!!! Great return to form ( for me ) and like Sir Exar, my only complaint is that disc ends quickly at 52:00, and you don't want it to. It actually "feels" short when it comes to an abrupt end. Maybe Part 2 of the long track, or throw another 15:00 track into the mix somewhere on the disc would have put this over the top, but this will find it's way into the Top 10 for sure.

Lords of Black -
It's good, and one of my most anticipated discs for the year, but the lack of excitement about it on my part, was a disappointment. Whether you like LoB 1 or 2 better, this one just doesn't measure up. It's too hard rockish for me, and although the disc starts to pick up around Track 6 or so, and Ronnie sounds awesome as usual, I think that the lack of momentum and amount of awesome tunes just leave this one wanting more.

Ostura -
You're talking about my #1 disc here. I'm surprised you're not putting out more excitement over this, but when you take Epica, Symphony X, and Within Temptation, put them in a blender with a metal opera, huge production and awesome singers, you get a #1 disc of the year for me. I bought 2 versions of this thing. I love it.

Almanac -
Every Alamanc I've heard has been too speedy or just not interesting. I think I heard one song off this one, and that was enough.

Leviathan -
As in THE Leviathan ? From Colorado ?

Eldritch -
Once they went thrash, I lost interest. Lots of people are telling me they are back to their El Nino sounds, I just haven't had the inkling to give it a shot.

Hekz -
I just love this band, despite the flaws of the singer, who I consider quite good. My only complaint is the singer when he tries to hit and sustain the high notes, his voice is just not built for that. However, that's kept to a minimum, and this band is writing interesting Prog Metal sort of like Threshold gone true Prog or something like that......this should end up in the Top 10.

Core Leone -
Never heard.

Kamelot -
I can't see hitting the Top 10 list, unless I can't find one disc to fill the list up, but I actually enjoy this one. The formula is the same, which I'm sure is killing them off for most, but with just Thom as the only original member left, and Tommy doing the Khan thing, I think they did a great job with this disc. How much longer I can hang in there, remains to be seen, but at this rate, the next one could be the last......

Royal Hunt -
Gave up on this band many moons ago ........

Great list !!!!!!!

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:26 am

Great post - yes, this year has been full of very good releases - and a few exceptional ones;

Good Tiger - so far this is album of the year - ultra commercial prog metal / djent-lite

Amorphis
Angelus Apatrida
Arena
- top 5
Candlemass
Gazpacho
Ghost
Graveyard
Grayceon
- top 5
Hago
Ihsahn
Kaisers Bart
Kamelot
King Goat
Michael Schenker Fest
- top 5
My Indigo
Nils Patrik Johansson
Orphaned Land
Ostura
- top 5
Poem
The Poodles
Primordial
Refuge
SubSignal
Tesseract
Tribulation

There's also been a few really good live albums:
Ayreon
Jesus Christ Superstar (w. john Legend)
Overkill
Whitesnake

Based on the first singles out so far I'm really looking forward to:
Fates Warning
Graham Bonnet Band
Khorada
Seventh Wonder
Skyharbor
The Night Flight Orchestra

Disappointments so far:
Riot V
Royal Hunt
Last edited by introclaus on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:30 am

Wasn't going to spend the time going through album by album thoughts, but since Larry opened the can of worms.... AND work is slow today.... Why not?

Soul Doubt -
This 2-CD set is so hard to get into initially...... As a matter of fact, I shelved it just because of that reason. This one requires full attention, time, and absorbing. If you can't listen to this in that way - there is no pay off. Once you provide the attention it requires, the disc starts to become visible and you can hear how much time and detail went into this thing. Should it be a 1-disc release ? Yes, for many reasons ..... but kudos to this unknown Italian band for being ballsy.

I feel pretty similar. This sounds to me like someone put Saga and Pain of Salvation into a blender. I don't mind a light album, but what hurts with this one a bit is that the heavy parts are REALLY good, so it feels like they are underachieving by not including more of them. That being said, though, it's a beautiful album, great artwork, love the paper stock they used.... Everything about it is what I can't give up with CDs versus digital.

New Horizons -
Have not heard this one yet. Unless I heard some samples and forgot what it was like. :?:

It had some talk a few months back on here, and I used it as filler in a Lasers order. Old school Italian prog-metal out of the DT camp. Singer got some flack due to his accent, but he's not bad. Overall production is REALLY good, with beautiful think keyboards throughout..... Only criticism is that they don't really nail the melodies as well as some others. Good compositions, great sound, want to hear more from them as their songwriting develops. Definitely worth checking out for any old-school folks.

Melted Space -
I've tried many times to get into this band .... I love these huge, over the top metal operas, but this one is a five-cheese special. They've got the ingredients to make this great, the singers, the writing, the playing, etc ...... but this band takes the cheese and dumps it on in droves. Way too much for me........

Only listened to this one once so far. All the right pieces are present, but feels a little excessively speedy, excessively heavy at parts..... Also the orchestra doesn't get the use it deserves. If you're going to record and orchestra, make it count! More listens might help me grab this more.

Amorphis -
What I've heard of this disc, is awesome. They started to lose me with the last disc or two, but this one seems to find the energy and power to kick start my interest once again, even in spite of the growlies, which at this point in my life, are welcome. On my next order list.

This is up next. Haven't heard a note yet, but Amorphis has put out solid disc after solid disc, so I'm confident this should be no different.

Therion -
A whopping 3-disc set that no one seems to talk about since it's release. I've only heard disc 1, and it was enough to stop from moving forward. What a strange thing for a band this big, to release a 3-disc set, and not hear anything about it. What I have heard was boring, and repetitive. Those who have heard the whole thing say it's boring and repetitive. Sad.

The trick with this album is that it's really NOT a Therion album, and almost shouldn't be marketed as such. This would be like taking one of Clive Nolan's musicals and releasing it under the Arena moniker. There are certainly metal elements involved, but they are minimalistic and used only as backing support for the vocals. This is a Broadway style rock opera through and through. If you listen to it as such, it's not bad..... Bloated, sure, but not bad at all. If you listen to it expecting another Theli or Gothic Kabala, you're going to be VERY underwhelmed.

Ayreon live -
I only have the Bluray, so if that counts as a Top 10 addition, consider this in my Top 10 list. Or I could just say I have the CD and go from there. This is beyond amazing, especially the show itself. I don't buy CDs and DVDs together anymore, unless they come in the same box. I use the audio from the DVD show if I want the music. Sure, it's a few more clicks of the remote to play it, and it sucks that I can't take it in the car with me, but something this epic deserves the main sound system each and every time.

Live show of the year, hands down. Nothing else can possibly touch this. We've talked about the show ad nauseum, so won't repeat the thoughts, but this is a special show for sure.

Millennium Reign -
Have not heard of this.

Melodic metal with early Queensryche influences. Nothing to blow the doors off, but solid stuff worth checking out. I posted a video in a separate thread.

Tomorrow's Eve -
If this doesn't make my #1 disc of the year, it will indeed be # 2. This disc is completely kicking my ass from top to bottom. Every song is excellent, no filler, it's aggressive, it's melodic, and prog metal from one of the better bands who just don't seem to get the recognition they deserve. it didn't help that they disappeared for 10 years, but this is some come back. They have all kicked it up a notch, especially Martin LeMar, who sounds fabulous here, and hasn't lost a note. I spooge over this thing every time I play it, and rather than keep on yelling about how great it is, I hope that it reaches more people and they can mirror my excitement.

Need more plays with this one. Exceptionally complete album, well put together, and PATIENT.... No songs are in a rush..... Felt like listening to a heavier Vanden Plas. I want to break out the rest of the back catalogue also, as its been years since I played any of it.... Probably a top 5, definitely a top 10.

Arena -
Another surprise disc for me. I did not care for the previous Paul Manzi discs, and it's possible this disc could have been strike 3 and I'm done. Somehow, they turned the tables on me and this is the best Manzi disc to date, although that can be debated. What I do know, is that Arena decided to pull a Symphony X and "go back" to their original sound for their fans and incorporate it into their newer sound. it works !!!! Great return to form ( for me ) and like Sir Exar, my only complaint is that disc ends quickly at 52:00, and you don't want it to. It actually "feels" short when it comes to an abrupt end. Maybe Part 2 of the long track, or throw another 15:00 track into the mix somewhere on the disc would have put this over the top, but this will find it's way into the Top 10 for sure.

Love this one. All the best aspects of classic Arena.

Lords of Black -
It's good, and one of my most anticipated discs for the year, but the lack of excitement about it on my part, was a disappointment. Whether you like LoB 1 or 2 better, this one just doesn't measure up. It's too hard rockish for me, and although the disc starts to pick up around Track 6 or so, and Ronnie sounds awesome as usual, I think that the lack of momentum and amount of awesome tunes just leave this one wanting more.

See, to me this one is hitting all the right notes..... I love the more hard rock oriented style, but I also love that it gets heavier as the album goes on. It's a LONG album so I need more time to digest it, but this could be a top 5 for me. Again, top 10 for sure.

Ostura -
You're talking about my #1 disc here. I'm surprised you're not putting out more excitement over this, but when you take Epica, Symphony X, and Within Temptation, put them in a blender with a metal opera, huge production and awesome singers, you get a #1 disc of the year for me. I bought 2 versions of this thing. I love it.

To be fair, I've only listened to this one all the way through once, but it was spectacular. Agreed that this could be the #1 of the year, but I'm not quite there yet. To me, THIS is what Therion should have been aiming for, rather than full on Broadway-esque. This has the elements of a Broadway rock opera, but written with the sensibilities of a metal album. A modern Op:Mindcrime if you will. Hard to believe this is a band out of left field, and not someone established with a much bigger budget behind them.

Almanac -
Every Alamanc I've heard has been too speedy or just not interesting. I think I heard one song off this one, and that was enough.

Haven't listened to it yet, but I LOVED the first one. HUGE singalong choruses, great hooks and melodies..... Plus Victor Smolski shredding. What's not to love???

Leviathan -
As in THE Leviathan ? From Colorado ?

Technically, YES! However, it's a new singer (from Brazil, of all places) so it has a bit of a different sound to it. It also has Mark Zonder on drums! It's an odd album but still maintains their very sterile sense of technical musicianship. Mix is a little off if I recall, though..... But this is one of those bands I love to support, so if they put something out, I'll buy it.

Eldritch -
Once they went thrash, I lost interest. Lots of people are telling me they are back to their El Nino sounds, I just haven't had the inkling to give it a shot.

I hear ya..... They almost lost me too. They are back, but it's not sounding like El Nino either.... It's more an amalgamation of all their previous sounds. Music is definitely more interesting than the thrash era, but it's not as melodic or driving as El Nino. Like their last few albums, solid but nothing to blow the doors off.

Hekz -
I just love this band, despite the flaws of the singer, who I consider quite good. My only complaint is the singer when he tries to hit and sustain the high notes, his voice is just not built for that. However, that's kept to a minimum, and this band is writing interesting Prog Metal sort of like Threshold gone true Prog or something like that......this should end up in the Top 10.

One of those very quirky bands that I just love; yeah, the singer is odd to say the least, but somehow.... He works here. Oddly, but it works. This album feels a little more composed.... A little more straight forward than the last, but again.... It still all works together. Looking forward to more spins.

Core Leone -
Never heard.

Gotthard redone with Ronnie Romero on vocals. Yeah, the Romero train keeps on rolling. Haven't listened to it yet.

Kamelot -
I can't see hitting the Top 10 list, unless I can't find one disc to fill the list up, but I actually enjoy this one. The formula is the same, which I'm sure is killing them off for most, but with just Thom as the only original member left, and Tommy doing the Khan thing, I think they did a great job with this disc. How much longer I can hang in there, remains to be seen, but at this rate, the next one could be the last......

Definitely not a top 10, but still makes for a fun play. There were a few standout tracks, and several that could be interchangeable with anything off the last few albums. A guilty pleasure at this point....

Royal Hunt -
Gave up on this band many moons ago ........

I really have a hard time giving up on established bands somehow. Royal Hunt keeps putting out solid (but short) albums, and having DC back in the fold certainly keeps me coming back. Big complaint with this one is the mix is sub-par, especially for a DC Cooper album. He should be crisp and clear, and here he just isn't. Pretty sad, since the actual songwriting is really good!

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Adding some of my favorite 2018 releases to the list...

Between the Buried and Me - Automata I, Might be my favorite so far this year & that's saying something when growlies are present.
Dreyelands - Stages ep - Another one near the top of my list (sorry Larry - surprised the singer bugged you. Reminds me of Darkwater guy).

and a couple solid releases I like...
Angra - Omni, hasn't caught on like some of their others, but still good
Lione / Conti, well done melodic metal

Also, I have to give a big shoutout to Judas Priest - Firepower. I loved them back in the day, but I never thought I would freak so much on a new release from them again. This one is solid from start to finish with no filler.

Awaiting Seventh Wonder to be the release to blow us out of the water.
Last edited by Hearing Aid Man on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:48 pm

Some top selections from this year so far:

Orphaned Land
Ostura
Neal Morse
Subsignal
TesseracT
The Sun Burns Bright (a UK post-rock outfit)
Toundra (a Spanish act similar to Russian Circles or Long Distance Calling)
Entransient (American, a grungy take on mid-period Katatonia)
Angra
BTBAM
Aesthesys (a Russian post/prog/electronic act)

A few I'm eagerly expecting:
LEAH
Images of Eden
Redemption
Distorted Harmony
Southern Empire
Seventh Wonder
Riverside
Mystery

We also have the new Widek to look forward to in a matter of hours!

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:17 pm

I've bought less than average so far this year, but it's all been really good stuff. Seems I've got a lot of crossover with Claus. Ihsahn's newest is another absolute gutpunch of a meaningful album. I could talk about Arcana Imperii and Twin Black Angels for hours. Between the Buried and Me's Automata is phenomenal stuff, and I think the second one is going to be just as mental. There's going to be a new Andy Hauck (single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ69R4NhEyo) this month, too, which I'm really looking forward to. Skyharbor, Seventh Wonder, and NFO rank high on my anticipated list along with Redemption. Oh, and Kadinja is slated to release one this year as well, which is probably going to be high on my year end list because that crew has yet to do something wrong in my ears.

Aviations - The Light Years
Between the Buried and Me - Automata I
Distant Dream - Your Own Story
Hago - Hago
Ihsahn - Ámr
Orphaned Land - Unsung Prophets & Dead Messiahs
Ostura - The Room
Perfect Beings - Vier
Tesseract - Sonder
Tomorrow's Eve - Mirror of Creation III - Project Ikaros
Valis Ablaze - Boundless
Widek - Dream Reflections

Claus, I recommend you give the new Valis Ablaze a shot. (https://valisablaze.bandcamp.com/album/boundless) Based on your list I think you'll really enjoy it. I wish I could get into Good TIger (I freakin loved The Safety Fire), but I think Elliot Coleman should be banned from ever singing again because he's that bad.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:46 pm

I just listened to the new Widek and it is, indeed, great.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:31 am

Mardoch wrote:I've bought less than average so far this year, but it's all been really good stuff. Seems I've got a lot of crossover with Claus. Ihsahn's newest is another absolute gutpunch of a meaningful album. I could talk about Arcana Imperii and Twin Black Angels for hours. Between the Buried and Me's Automata is phenomenal stuff, and I think the second one is going to be just as mental. There's going to be a new Andy Hauck (single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ69R4NhEyo) this month, too, which I'm really looking forward to. Skyharbor, Seventh Wonder, and NFO rank high on my anticipated list along with Redemption. Oh, and Kadinja is slated to release one this year as well, which is probably going to be high on my year end list because that crew has yet to do something wrong in my ears.

Aviations - The Light Years
Distant Dream - Your Own Story
Hago - Hago
Ihsahn - Ámr
Orphaned Land - Unsung Prophets & Dead Messiahs
Ostura - The Room
Perfect Beings - Vier
Tesseract - Sonder
Tomorrow's Eve - Mirror of Creation III - Project Ikaros
Valis Ablaze - Boundless
Widek - Dream Reflections

Claus, I recommend you give the new Valis Ablaze a shot. (https://valisablaze.bandcamp.com/album/boundless) Based on your list I think you'll really enjoy it. I wish I could get into Good TIger (I freakin loved The Safety Fire), but I think Elliot Coleman should be banned from ever singing again because he's that bad.

Thanks - I have moved that to my list of things to go buy from iTunes in the next few days!!!

Elliot rules on the new Good Tiger - simply amazing album!

So, I’m seeing a lot of people digging the new BtBaM, and I’m sure it’s fantastic. But I can’t get myself to buy a part 1 of a two-disc set when both are mini albums until they are both ready. It just annoys me too much that they would do that. So I’m holding off until release date of pt 2.
Claus Jensen

elendil

Postby elendil » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:21 am

I'm not keeping up closely with new releases as I've been exploring a lot of older stuff, but here's what has grabbed my attention so far:

Ihsahn - Amr (he's always hit or miss for me, but this is more "hit")
Amorphis - Queen of Time
Primordial - Exile Amongst the Ruins
Imarhan - Temet (Tuareg rock)
Therion - Beloved Antichrist
Arkona - Khram (Russian folk metal)
Hamferd - Tamsins likam (Faroese doomdeath)

Edit: Oh yes, Orphaned Land too. Duh!
Last edited by elendil on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Besides getting caught up on almost 50 years worth of prog rock releases, this is what I've been enjoying most:

Orphaned Land - Unsung Prophets & Dead Messiahs !!!!!!
Amorphis - Queen of Time
Ghost - Prequelle

Lords of Black hasn't really clicked with me yet like the other ones did. I suspect I'm just not in the right place to enjoy this right now, so I'll shelf it and go back to it later.
Therion - I forced myself to suffer through all 3 disks before permanently putting it away

Plus there is lots to look forward too coming out soon:
Fates Warning
Seventh Wonder
Spocks Beard
The Sea Within
Redemption
Between the Buried and Me - Automata II

Guy
Güy

Norén

Postby Norén » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Lots of good releases this year.

My top is probably
Arena - Double Vision
Tesseract - Sonder

Also enjoying
Alan Simon - Big Bang
Ghost - Prequelle
Subsignal - La Muerta
Amorphis - Queen of time
Finally George - Life is a killer
Kino - Radio Voltaire
Jason Bieler - Birds of prey
Angra - Omni
A notion of silence - Dynamo
Beyond the Katacomb - Beyond the Katacomb
..and some more
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:57 pm

How's this one? Stylistically is it comparable to Saigon Kick?

pfillion

Postby pfillion » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Here's my top 5 so far:

1- Amorphis - Queen of Time
2- Arena - Double Vision
3- Orphaned Land - Unsung Prophets & Dead Messiahs
3- Myles Kennedy - Year of the tiger
5- Ghost - Prequelle

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:51 pm

As usual I'm lagging horrifically behind with new releases...
This usually gets fixed starting around now....so no real observations other than it's very interesting that Ghost is popular here ....which I also absolutely love so far...
Its silky,cheesy,bubble gum satanic metal....
Though digging deeper (the instrumentals especially)there are some definite light prog elements that show up ...but hey...good music is good music and I'm not ashamed to be jamming to Dance Macabre at full volume
Tarja is a female woman

Norén

Postby Norén » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

It is. If you like Saigon Kick I think you will enjoy this one.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

prog_powermetal99

Postby prog_powermetal99 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:40 pm

Dang Larry, and I was so excited for Therion too. Amazon has 10 reviews and all of them were 5 star ratings, calling it absolutely "epic".....I'll trust your judgement on this one, as many are saying it's more rock than metal, and I always prefer their metal stuff, so I have a feeling I'd find it boring too.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:51 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:Dang Larry, and I was so excited for Therion too. Amazon has 10 reviews and all of them were 5 star ratings, calling it absolutely "epic".....I'll trust your judgement on this one, as many are saying it's more rock than metal, and I always prefer their metal stuff, so I have a feeling I'd find it boring too.

***I would never say "don't buy it" to anyone ..... but there are a lot of Therion fans here on this board, and I don't remember anyone praising it ....... that said, I'm a Therion fan - and a concept 3-CD chump and couldn't wait for this release. As much as it sounds rock, my problem with it is that all 3 CDs sound the same and are boring as hell. I could barely get thru the first disc. To me, this release is so far removed from what Therion is to me -- I understand branching out and all, but this is one snoozefest to me, and a surprise at just how much.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:31 am

LarryD wrote:
prog_powermetal99 wrote:Dang Larry, and I was so excited for Therion too. Amazon has 10 reviews and all of them were 5 star ratings, calling it absolutely "epic".....I'll trust your judgement on this one, as many are saying it's more rock than metal, and I always prefer their metal stuff, so I have a feeling I'd find it boring too.

***I would never say "don't buy it" to anyone ..... but there are a lot of Therion fans here on this board, and I don't remember anyone praising it ....... that said, I'm a Therion fan - and a concept 3-CD chump and couldn't wait for this release. As much as it sounds rock, my problem with it is that all 3 CDs sound the same and are boring as hell. I could barely get thru the first disc. To me, this release is so far removed from what Therion is to me -- I understand branching out and all, but this is one snoozefest to me, and a surprise at just how much.

The general concencious ia that the entire 3 disk set could have been condensed into 1 disk..
I'm not really a fan of these guys to begin with but wanted to at least check this out...
Blaaah....
Tarja is a female woman

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:17 am

LarryD wrote: As much as it sounds rock, my problem with it is that all 3 CDs sound the same and are boring as hell.

Yeah, if a band is going to ask listeners to have the patience to stick with a very, very long studio album, then a sense of direction to the music is critical. It needs to feel like each song is moving somewhere from the previous songs so that you end up in a different place (metaphorically) from where you started. Beloved Antichrist might be fine for a long walk on the treadmill but not much else. If I hit play on any single song, it's fine to listen to, but add it up and you feel like you just stood in one spot for three hours.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:27 am

I don't think there's been a single release this year that has done much for me. Certainly nothing that owns my soul like the last Distorted Harmony, which I'm currently spinning (I'm also not listening to *nearly* enough music which is almost entirely relegated to my working hours). The new Spock's Beard (and the last one, too) is hit-and-miss and if you'd told me THAT was going to happen a few years ago, I'd have called you a dirty whore.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:33 am

Mark wrote:
LarryD wrote: As much as it sounds rock, my problem with it is that all 3 CDs sound the same and are boring as hell.

Yeah, if a band is going to ask listeners to have the patience to stick with a very, very long studio album, then a sense of direction to the music is critical. It needs to feel like each song is moving somewhere from the previous songs so that you end up in a different place (metaphorically) from where you started. Beloved Antichrist might be fine for a long walk on the treadmill but not much else. If I hit play on any single song, it's fine to listen to, but add it up and you feel like you just stood in one spot for three hours.

****BINGO !!!!! You nailed it and I agree whole heartedly.......

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:37 am

Sparky wrote:I don't think there's been a single release this year that has done much for me. Certainly nothing that owns my soul like the last Distorted Harmony, which I'm currently spinning (I'm also not listening to *nearly* enough music which is almost entirely relegated to my working hours). The new Spock's Beard (and the last one, too) is hit-and-miss and if you'd told me THAT was going to happen a few years ago, I'd have called you a dirty whore.

****And I'm feeling like this is one of the best starts to years ever ........weird. You must be looking for that holy grail of discs and can't find it ? I'm not sure what you're really digging these days, or style, but the new Ostura and new Tomorrows Eve fill my cupeth of grail nicely !!!!! You might not be into this style anymore, and I get it, but it is strange for for me to read that something hasn't hit you hard yet, but like you said - if you don't have the time to put in, that could be a huge problem......

Me being crippled at the moment has offered me the chance to listen to everything and anything - not that it's a blessing, but at least I can do it ..........I'll take it.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Sparky wrote:I don't think there's been a single release this year that has done much for me. Certainly nothing that owns my soul like the last Distorted Harmony, which I'm currently spinning (I'm also not listening to *nearly* enough music which is almost entirely relegated to my working hours). The new Spock's Beard (and the last one, too) is hit-and-miss and if you'd told me THAT was going to happen a few years ago, I'd have called you a dirty whore.

Damn, that's a bummer. Hopefully the latter half has some stuff that rocks your boat.

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:08 pm

As far as disks we're looking forward to, I'm surprised no one mentioned Kingcrow. For some reason the wait for this one is bothering me more than other anticipated disks. Not sure if it's because I pre-ordered it about a year and a half ago, but the wait for this one really seems long.
Güy

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:19 am

Digital Man wrote:As far as disks we're looking forward to, I'm surprised no one mentioned Kingcrow. For some reason the wait for this one is bothering me more than other anticipated disks. Not sure if it's because I pre-ordered it about a year and a half ago, but the wait for this one really seems long.

***Guy - you beat me to it. I didn't get to it yesterday, but I was going to post this: " And where in the f#$k is the new KIngcrow " ??

Of all the releases, this is one of the more important to me, and the band has simply disappeared into thin air - or people have given up on waiting ...........

But yes - where in the f$#@k is the new KIngcrow ????

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:34 am

LarryD wrote:
Digital Man wrote:As far as disks we're looking forward to, I'm surprised no one mentioned Kingcrow. For some reason the wait for this one is bothering me more than other anticipated disks. Not sure if it's because I pre-ordered it about a year and a half ago, but the wait for this one really seems long.

***Guy - you beat me to it. I didn't get to it yesterday, but I was going to post this: " And where in the f#$k is the new KIngcrow " ??

Of all the releases, this is one of the more important to me, and the band has simply disappeared into thin air - or people have given up on waiting ...........

But yes - where in the f$#@k is the new KIngcrow ????

Same here
Tarja is a female woman

TomSawyer

Postby TomSawyer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:59 am

LarryD wrote:But yes - where in the f$#@k is the new KIngcrow ????
Hey guys, Diego from KC here! The Album is going to be released on Sept. 7th via Sensory. Thanks for the patience, especially the ones of you who did the preorder! My guess is some stuff from it will start to drop out soon (you can annoy Ken about that :D )

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:19 am

TomSawyer wrote:
LarryD wrote:But yes - where in the f$#@k is the new KIngcrow ????
Hey guys, Diego from KC here! The Album is going to be released on Sept. 7th via Sensory. Thanks for the patience, especially the ones of you who did the preorder! My guess is some stuff from it will start to drop out soon (you can annoy Ken about that :D )

*** Thanks for the update Diego !!!! Let the annoying of Ken begin !!!!!! That's the fun part !!!!!! :wink:

TomSawyer

Postby TomSawyer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:46 am

LarryD wrote:*** Thanks for the update Diego !!!! Let the annoying of Ken begin !!!!!! That's the fun part !!!!!! :wink:
Everyone knows Ken loves to be annoyed. Especially by me :lol:

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:59 pm

TomSawyer wrote:
LarryD wrote:*** Thanks for the update Diego !!!! Let the annoying of Ken begin !!!!!! That's the fun part !!!!!! :wink:
Everyone knows Ken loves to be annoyed. Especially by me :lol:

That loud NOOOOOOOOOOOO...you hear coming from the general direction of New Jersey is Ken reading this..
Tarja is a female woman

AllMediaReviews

Postby AllMediaReviews » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:29 pm

Norén wrote:
Sir Exar Kun wrote:

It is. If you like Saigon Kick I think you will enjoy this one.

interesting.

Return to “PM: Core”