Amorphis - Queen of Time

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Man Of Much Metal

Amorphis - Queen of Time

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Wed May 30, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi All,

I had a quick look & couldn't find another thread about this record, so I thought I'd oblige! I know that some of you don't enjoy growlies, but that aside, this record is melodic/folk/prog rock/metal gold. I urge you to take a listen...or at least take a peek at my succinct (hahaha) review:

https://manofmuchmetal.com/2018/05/28/a ... um-review/

Cheers,

Matt
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Amorphis - Queen of Time

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 30, 2018 4:24 pm

I really am curious sometime as to how you differentiate a 9.75 rating from a 9.8...... :)

Glad to see you dug both this and Subsignal; looking forward to hearing both.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Wed May 30, 2018 4:56 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:I really am curious sometime as to how you differentiate a 9.75 rating from a 9.8...... :)

Haha, it's called 'having my own website & being able to be as arbitrary as I like with my scoring having spent many years being constrained by defined parameters'! Or something like that!

To be honest, the difference is minimal, but I just have a feeling that come the end of the year, I will like the Amorphis just that iota more.

thanks for reading though, regardless of my contrariness! :)
Matt
The Man of Much Metal

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed May 30, 2018 4:59 pm

***Ditto on both !!!!!!

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Wed May 30, 2018 5:12 pm

These are both strong contenders come the year's end - stunning stuff!
Matt
The Man of Much Metal

Nos

Postby Nos » Wed May 30, 2018 5:33 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:I really am curious sometime as to how you differentiate a 9.75 rating from a 9.8...... :)

That's one of the reasons I don't use grades or star ratings. I got sick and tired of having to keep track of quarter stars, and essentially grade everything versus the first albums of a given year. It's so much easier to just write what I think, and worry about ranking them later on.

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Thu May 31, 2018 3:52 pm

This album is close to blowing my mind.
Amorphis 13th album and this is as good as they have ever done if not better.
Easily their most progressive and adventurous album to date, but also the most growls since their early full on death metal era.
Producer Jens Bogren has really pushed them to the next level, in terms of songwriting and arrangements.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Thu May 31, 2018 6:32 pm

gazinwales wrote:This album is close to blowing my mind.
Amorphis 13th album and this is as good as they have ever done if not better.
Easily their most progressive and adventurous album to date, but also the most growls since their early full on death metal era.
Producer Jens Bogren has really pushed them to the next level, in terms of songwriting and arrangements.

Agreed - this is their best album since “Tales...” and “Elegy”.

I hear a good deal of newer Katatonia in it as well...
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:16 am

Elegy is still my fave Amorphis album, when though I first heard it I really hated it.
Too early to tell how QoT measures up against the back catalogue, but definitely one of their best.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:37 am

I'm looking forward to hearing this one -- I'm not excited about the fact that Gaz said there are more growls than ever - but so far to this point, I've been able to handle them..... there is something about this band that I really love, although it's way out of the norm for me........

Glenn got me into this band --- but AFTER they played Prog Power, and that was one of the biggest mistakes I've made there in 18 years ......... :oops: I used the show for dinner time, and I now regret that .......

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:00 am

LarryD wrote:I'm looking forward to hearing this one -- I'm not excited about the fact that Gaz said there are more growls than ever - but so far to this point, I've been able to handle them..... there is something about this band that I really love, although it's way out of the norm for me........

Glenn got me into this band --- but AFTER they played Prog Power, and that was one of the biggest mistakes I've made there in 18 years ......... :oops: I used the show for dinner time, and I now regret that .......

More growls than ever ??? Not true at all ... there’s probably 50/50 split here ...
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:58 am

More growls than ever ??? Not true at all ... there’s probably 50/50 split here ...

*** I like these odds better ........ !!!!!!!!

Nos

Postby Nos » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:24 am

[quote="LarryD" I'm not excited about the fact that Gaz said there are more growls than ever -[/quote]

I don't know if I would phrase it that way, but there definitely felt like there were less of the big clean melodies that made "Under The Red Cloud" so great.

elendil

Postby elendil » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:48 am

I'm digging it so far. Might indeed be best since _Elegy_. Depends on whether it eclipses _Eclipse_. :P Like _Elegy_, _Queen of Time_ runs on nonstop, quirky folk melodies - it's not as fresh and unusual as _Elegy_ was when it came out, of course, but it otherwise recaptures a lot of that feel.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:31 pm

I'm only halfway through, and this is easily an album of the year contender. They bring the best elements from their other discs in an AMAZING amalgamation. Picture the folk elements of the early material (especially Elegy), with the melodies of the middle years (Tuonela, Am Universum) and the heaviness of the last few discs..... ADD to that Orphaned Land-esque orchestrations, some choir vocals, and other ethnic effects...... I absolutely LOVE what I have heard so far.

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 pm

As surprising as it is to say, I've decided that Under The Blood Red Cloud has become my new favorite Amorphis disk. Since it's release, I have listened to it more than just about any other disk in that time frame. It's just insane that this late in their careers they are putting out disks this good.

With that said, so far Queen Of Time is great but I don't like it nearly as much as UTBRC. I do think it will take some time before I can decide where it falls for me, but I doubt it will surpass UTBRC for me.
Güy

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:58 pm

With that said, so far Queen Of Time is great but I don't like it nearly as much as UTBRC. I do think it will take some time before I can decide where it falls for me, but I doubt it will surpass UTBRC for me.

Challenge accepted! :)

Haven't listed to "Red Cloud" in a long time, so putting it in the car for tomorrow. If it's as good as "Queen" I will be VERY excited indeed.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Challenge accepted! :)

Haven't listed to "Red Cloud" in a long time, so putting it in the car for tomorrow. If it's as good as "Queen" I will be VERY excited indeed.

OK, listened to this today, and..... It's a damn good album. "Death of Kings" might be the best song between both albums.

BUT - I stand by "Queen of Time" being stronger overall. I'll give you this much..... It's like a 1A and 1B type comparison. Both are outstanding, but I like the overall heaviness and the use of orchestrations better on "Queen". Plus, it has Anneke!!!

To your point though.... How amazing is it that Amorphis is this far into their career, and are putting out albums that are getting progressively better and better? This really is unheard of. There are several bands that continue to put out quality stuff, but it's so rare that their new material truly is the top of their game each and every time.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:21 am

Someone was nice enough to let me hear this one .... and I have to say I'm blown away. This could be the best Amorphis disc I've heard since getting into them around the Prog Power time.......I am no Amorphis expert, and am a fan since that PP time, but I have to say that this disc is just blowing my mind...... and like others have said, who are more into the band than I am, they just keep getting better and better at this stage of the game and who does that ??

I'm with Sir Exar on this one -- those choirs and orchestrations really put this one far out in front of the other discs from them, and they seem to have the ability to outdo themselves regardless of how many discs they put out......

I'm in one of those "life sucks" moments - or should I say "life has sucked for months now" times .... and this disc is doing the trick to keep me in perspective........ what a year for great music .... I don't remember a year so good as this --- it just keeps on coming. Awesome...............

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:36 am

Someone was nice enough to let me hear this one .... and I have to say I'm blown away. This could be the best Amorphis disc I've heard since getting into them around the Prog Power time.......I am no Amorphis expert, and am a fan since that PP time, but I have to say that this disc is just blowing my mind...... and like others have said, who are more into the band than I am, they just keep getting better and better at this stage of the game and who does that ??

I'm with Sir Exar on this one -- those choirs and orchestrations really put this one far out in front of the other discs from them, and they seem to have the ability to outdo themselves regardless of how many discs they put out......

I'm in one of those "life sucks" moments - or should I say "life has sucked for months now" times .... and this disc is doing the trick to keep me in perspective........ what a year for great music .... I don't remember a year so good as this --- it just keeps on coming. Awesome...............

Glad you are digging it! I wondered if there were too many growls for you on this one, as (especially after listening to "Red Cloud" again) this one is definitely heavier on the growls....

I hear so many subtle little influences mixed in here and there on this disc. A little bit of Orphaned Land, some Kamelot even, and (I think) Draconian on the lead riff on the "Pyres" (track 10). Really amazing stuff. The orchestrations, while not nearly as full and rich as some other bands use, is a perfect complement to help elevate the band's sound.

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:49 pm

I can offer one reason for Amorphis going to the next level with the last two albums.
Jens Bogren has guided and assisted the band with the song arrangements.
I think he is a major factor, he has also pushed the band to their peak.

Yeah I can't think of many other bands this far into there career delivering perhaps their best album?

Return to “PM: Core”