New Seventh Wonder tune

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Harvester
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:29 pm

New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby Harvester » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:43 am


User avatar
Nos
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby Nos » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:35 am

Now there's some prog metal I can get behind. That sounds really good, and certainly way better than what Tommy does to afford being in Seventh Wonder.

Hearing Aid Man
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 7:13 pm

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:32 am

Awesome! Wouldn't have expected anything less. Only wondering what my #2 cd of 2018 will be. :D

Kez
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:56 am
Location: Vienna, VA

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby Kez » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:01 am

Excellent tune. It's going to be a long wait for this one. Sure do love these guys.

User avatar
Chris R
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: Tampa Bay

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby Chris R » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:41 am

Tasty

Can't wait
Tarja is a female woman
Image

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6299
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby LarryD » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:34 pm

This is so good ........ they're baaaaaaaaack !!!!!!! Cannot wait for this one ..........

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby ToddS » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Excellent! Such a great band that has their own thing going.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby ToddS » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:27 pm

Nos wrote:Now there's some prog metal I can get behind. That sounds really good, and certainly way better than what Tommy does to afford being in Seventh Wonder.


You and I practically never agree, but I couldn't agree with you more on that last part. :lol:
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
Mardoch
Posts: 667
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby Mardoch » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Gonna be "that guy" real quick, but here's the official link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhubRsr11rk

Also, YESSSS! I need this one something serious.

User avatar
Man Of Much Metal
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Suffolk, UK
Contact:

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:50 pm

This is in no way a dig at Kamelot, because I've said all I've said on that score...but this is the Tommy that I want to hear - full of passion, individuality and lending his killer pipes to some excellent, intelligent and melodic prog. No-one sounds quite like SW and that's the biggest accolade I can give right now. I'll add my voice to the 'I can't wait' chorus!!
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby introclaus » Fri May 18, 2018 9:12 am

I thought "Victorious" was a sub-par song for these guys, but the new single "Tiara's Song" is really good. Reminds me of the "Waiting in the Wings" happy prog style ..
Claus Jensen

Hearing Aid Man
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 7:13 pm

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Fri May 18, 2018 9:56 am


User avatar
Nos
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby Nos » Fri May 18, 2018 10:02 am

The new one is good too, but I hope there's some different playing on it than that style where the riffs are most interesting for the math of the time signature.

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6299
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby LarryD » Fri May 18, 2018 10:21 am

introclaus wrote:I thought "Victorious" was a sub-par song for these guys, but the new single "Tiara's Song" is really good. Reminds me of the "Waiting in the Wings" happy prog style ..


*** do....not.....want......Happy Prog Style.........me......want........dramatic Prog Style with serious undertones. No smiley faces.

User avatar
Mardoch
Posts: 667
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby Mardoch » Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 am

LarryD wrote:
introclaus wrote:I thought "Victorious" was a sub-par song for these guys, but the new single "Tiara's Song" is really good. Reminds me of the "Waiting in the Wings" happy prog style ..


*** do....not.....want......Happy Prog Style.........me......want........dramatic Prog Style with serious undertones. No smiley faces.

Grumpy old man! Tiara's Song is good.

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6299
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby LarryD » Fri May 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Mardoch wrote:
LarryD wrote:
introclaus wrote:I thought "Victorious" was a sub-par song for these guys, but the new single "Tiara's Song" is really good. Reminds me of the "Waiting in the Wings" happy prog style ..


*** do....not.....want......Happy Prog Style.........me......want........dramatic Prog Style with serious undertones. No smiley faces.

Grumpy old man! Tiara's Song is good.


*** I wasn't referring to Tiara's song ... I was referring to Claus' comment that it reminds him of Happy Prog. I do not like Happy Prog - thus I'm a grumpy old man..... :P

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby ToddS » Fri May 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Love Tierra! Reminds of Waiting in the Wings. This record can’t come soon enough.

The guitar / bass break is sweet!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby introclaus » Fri May 18, 2018 1:24 pm

LarryD wrote:
introclaus wrote:I thought "Victorious" was a sub-par song for these guys, but the new single "Tiara's Song" is really good. Reminds me of the "Waiting in the Wings" happy prog style ..


*** do....not.....want......Happy Prog Style.........me......want........dramatic Prog Style with serious undertones. No smiley faces.


Problem is that Seventh Wonder doesn't do "dramatic prog" as well as they do "happy prog" in my opinion! So with that in mind, I prefer their happy prog. If you feel that they are better at dramatic stuff, then I understand your opinion. Obviously I think you're wrong, but that's nothing new HAHAHAHA
Claus Jensen

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6299
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby LarryD » Fri May 18, 2018 2:04 pm

Problem is that Seventh Wonder doesn't do "dramatic prog" as well as they do "happy prog" in my opinion! So with that in mind, I prefer their happy prog. If you feel that they are better at dramatic stuff, then I understand your opinion. Obviously I think you're wrong, but that's nothing new HAHAHAHA


***Mercy Falls ? Much drama there. Didn't feel happy at all ........ even my wife cries at it ......... :P

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby introclaus » Fri May 18, 2018 3:27 pm

LarryD wrote:
Problem is that Seventh Wonder doesn't do "dramatic prog" as well as they do "happy prog" in my opinion! So with that in mind, I prefer their happy prog. If you feel that they are better at dramatic stuff, then I understand your opinion. Obviously I think you're wrong, but that's nothing new HAHAHAHA


***Mercy Falls ? Much drama there. Didn't feel happy at all ........ even my wife cries at it ......... :P


Don't get me wrong - I love "Mercy Falls". I just think "Waiting in the Wings" is the better album.

Years ago this young band showed up at my apartment, they played me the demos of their new songs, with their new singer - this was Seventh Wonder right after Tommy had joined them. I signed them that day. "Waiting in the Wings" and that "happy prog" style blew me away back then, and still does. This new song is incredible.
Claus Jensen

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6299
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby LarryD » Fri May 18, 2018 3:48 pm

introclaus wrote:
LarryD wrote:
Problem is that Seventh Wonder doesn't do "dramatic prog" as well as they do "happy prog" in my opinion! So with that in mind, I prefer their happy prog. If you feel that they are better at dramatic stuff, then I understand your opinion. Obviously I think you're wrong, but that's nothing new HAHAHAHA


***Mercy Falls ? Much drama there. Didn't feel happy at all ........ even my wife cries at it ......... :P


Don't get me wrong - I love "Mercy Falls". I just think "Waiting in the Wings" is the better album.

Years ago this young band showed up at my apartment, they played me the demos of their new songs, with their new singer - this was Seventh Wonder right after Tommy had joined them. I signed them that day. "Waiting in the Wings" and that "happy prog" style blew me away back then, and still does. This new song is incredible.



*** I think that WitW being better than MFalls is debatable ..... but I won't argue if you like it better .........we all have our tastes.......... but someday, we will debate that after we have had a few Goldschlagers ............ :P

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby ToddS » Fri May 18, 2018 5:12 pm

I think happy prog is their thing. The music in general has an uplifting vibe. At least for me. Yet, they are so damn catchy that the complexity of it could sneak by unnoticed by the average listener.

However, many of those happy sounding songs, have a dark story to tell. Even on WitW.

Mercy Falls is a bit of an exception to most of their other material in being darker sounding record musically. Of course concept story is dark as well.

Personally they are one of my very favorite bands, and can do no wrong for me. I love all stuff with TK and have a hard time picking a favorite honestly.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

arnavut
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:56 am

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby arnavut » Sat May 19, 2018 11:35 am

Man Of Much Metal wrote:This is in no way a dig at Kamelot, because I've said all I've said on that score...but this is the Tommy that I want to hear - full of passion, individuality and lending his killer pipes to some excellent, intelligent and melodic prog. No-one sounds quite like SW and that's the biggest accolade I can give right now. I'll add my voice to the 'I can't wait' chorus!!



Agree here in terms of Tommy's vocal style. I assumed this is Tommy's vocal style that he was going to bring to Kamelot.
That is what Roy did when he got in Kamelot. It is not just the sound of the voice, The music and especially vocal melodies Kamelot sounded more like Conception since ROy joined Kamelot , than pre Roy Kamelot. The sound of Kamelot is still Roy's Kamlot.
I thought Tommy could evolve Kamelot if he had brought his own vocals instead of singing like Roy's Kemlot.

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby ToddS » Sat May 19, 2018 12:25 pm

arnavut wrote:
Man Of Much Metal wrote:This is in no way a dig at Kamelot, because I've said all I've said on that score...but this is the Tommy that I want to hear - full of passion, individuality and lending his killer pipes to some excellent, intelligent and melodic prog. No-one sounds quite like SW and that's the biggest accolade I can give right now. I'll add my voice to the 'I can't wait' chorus!!



Agree here in terms of Tommy's vocal style. I assumed this is Tommy's vocal style that he was going to bring to Kamelot.
That is what Roy did when he got in Kamelot. It is not just the sound of the voice, The music and especially vocal melodies Kamelot sounded more like Conception since ROy joined Kamelot , than pre Roy Kamelot. The sound of Kamelot is still Roy's Kamlot.
I thought Tommy could evolve Kamelot if he had brought his own vocals instead of singing like Roy's Kemlot.


I agree and couldn’t have said this better. As I said, it’s karaoke Khan. Tommy is one of my very favorite singers, but he just can’t be himself here. :(
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
Nos
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby Nos » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:11 pm

So I just got to hear the new record, "Tiara".

The long and short of it is this; it sounds exactly like a safe Seventh Wonder album.

Basically, if you take the narrative of "Mercy Falls" and the approach of "The Great Escape", you get this record, but it doesn't go far enough in either direction. Compared to those two, this one feels a bit tame. It's still very good, but it doesn't feel like an album coming off an eight year absence. Still better than Kamelot, though!

prog_powermetal99
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby prog_powermetal99 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:26 am

Nos wrote:So I just got to hear the new record, "Tiara".

The long and short of it is this; it sounds exactly like a safe Seventh Wonder album.

Basically, if you take the narrative of "Mercy Falls" and the approach of "The Great Escape", you get this record, but it doesn't go far enough in either direction. Compared to those two, this one feels a bit tame. It's still very good, but it doesn't feel like an album coming off an eight year absence. Still better than Kamelot, though!



yea, that's the problem when you had 8 years between albums, the expectations rise big time, and anything short of a masterpiece is unacceptable. I was thinking the same thing with Pagan's Minds. But I was reading a post recently(I think on youtube), and someone said they spoke to the band recently and Pagan's Mind actually broke up, which is why we haven't heard anything from them for so many years. I figured as much though......

outprogged42
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby outprogged42 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:39 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Nos wrote:So I just got to hear the new record, "Tiara".

The long and short of it is this; it sounds exactly like a safe Seventh Wonder album.

Basically, if you take the narrative of "Mercy Falls" and the approach of "The Great Escape", you get this record, but it doesn't go far enough in either direction. Compared to those two, this one feels a bit tame. It's still very good, but it doesn't feel like an album coming off an eight year absence. Still better than Kamelot, though!



yea, that's the problem when you had 8 years between albums, the expectations rise big time, and anything short of a masterpiece is unacceptable. I was thinking the same thing with Pagan's Minds. But I was reading a post recently(I think on youtube), and someone said they spoke to the band recently and Pagan's Mind actually broke up, which is why we haven't heard anything from them for so many years. I figured as much though......


Where did you find that? Last I heard Pagan's Mind was working on another album and had at least the one show this January, although it is confirmed news that Nils could not perform live for an indefinite period of time.

prog_powermetal99
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby prog_powermetal99 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:44 pm

outprogged42 wrote:
prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Nos wrote:So I just got to hear the new record, "Tiara".

The long and short of it is this; it sounds exactly like a safe Seventh Wonder album.

Basically, if you take the narrative of "Mercy Falls" and the approach of "The Great Escape", you get this record, but it doesn't go far enough in either direction. Compared to those two, this one feels a bit tame. It's still very good, but it doesn't feel like an album coming off an eight year absence. Still better than Kamelot, though!



yea, that's the problem when you had 8 years between albums, the expectations rise big time, and anything short of a masterpiece is unacceptable. I was thinking the same thing with Pagan's Minds. But I was reading a post recently(I think on youtube), and someone said they spoke to the band recently and Pagan's Mind actually broke up, which is why we haven't heard anything from them for so many years. I figured as much though......


Where did you find that? Last I heard Pagan's Mind was working on another album and had at least the one show this January, although it is confirmed news that Nils could not perform live for an indefinite period of time.



You know I wish I could tell ya specifically what video I had read it on. But since it was someone posting a comment on youtube, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't even true at all. Then again, I had heard the band saying that they were working on album 5 years ago, so I'm very skeptical that the new album will ever come out, even if the break-up rumors are not true.

prog_powermetal99
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby prog_powermetal99 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:47 pm

So far I've only cared for 1 of the 3 new songs I've heard. the others seemed very lackluster. The musicianship is great as always, but these didn't hit me the way the tunes from Mercy Falls hit me when I first heard them...... So sad too as I was really looking forward to this one.

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6299
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby LarryD » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:23 pm

There is no way I'm going to compare anything they do to Mercy Falls ....... it wouldn't be fair although the time between discs would actually make it fair ...... but, from what I'm hearing so far, I'm loving it ...... Tommy sounds awesome. I will wait for the whole disc as well, but so far, so good ........ I don't think they could match MF, but then they shouldn't have to - I'm happy with good, melodic prog tunes from this band .......

Hearing Aid Man
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 7:13 pm

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:59 pm

I don't think they could match MF


um...The Great Escape? :P

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6299
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby LarryD » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:49 am

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
I don't think they could match MF


um...The Great Escape? :P


*** Not for me bro ........

User avatar
Nos
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby Nos » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:33 am

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
I don't think they could match MF


um...The Great Escape? :P


That one is my favorite of theirs. "Mercy Falls" is great and all, but the cheeseball stuff to get the concept over takes me out of it every time.

dwhitt
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:16 pm

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby dwhitt » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:05 am

So I am a fan of the band to say the least. I will admit this though...When I hear these new songs, I hear a lot of what I have already heard from these guys. I simply don't care though. I think it is because of the length of time between the albums that it doesn't bother me.

I am thinking that if I was being honest with myself and they released albums every couple of years, I might talk about them differently and say "been there, done that" instead of "I am looking forward to the new album".

User avatar
LASERCD
Posts: 1192
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Voorhees, NJ
Contact:

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby LASERCD » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:39 pm



Return to “PM: Core”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests