Odd Logic - Effigy - Full Review -

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Man Of Much Metal

Odd Logic - Effigy - Full Review -

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:57 am

Hello All,

I'm still amazed at how little love this band are getting from the prog community. I have therefore made it my mission to shout about them as much as possible, particularly as they have a brilliant new album available. Trust me, it's good. Check it out here, including a sample track!

https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/20 ... um-review/

All the best,
Matt
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

Scott B

Re: Odd Logic - Effigy - Full Review -

Postby Scott B » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:12 am

This will likely finish in my top 10 for the year. All of their albums are great. I really don't get the lack of talk about them.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:31 am

Scott B wrote:This will likely finish in my top 10 for the year. All of their albums are great. I really don't get the lack of talk about them.

***I would imagine that the download-only thing probably has something to do with it ........ this is tasty, melodic, traditional prog metal even in download mode .......

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:20 am

I've been meaning to check out their new stuff. I need to get on that. Will check the review when I get a chance as well. thx
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:31 am

Ok so this is the newest one right ? I keep getting confused on this ............

EmptyThoughts

Postby EmptyThoughts » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:18 pm

It is a travesty that these guys don't seem to be getting the love they should in this board. I've read about bands that in no way are "Progressive" here, than Odd Logic. A true shame... These guys remind me what actually got me into Prog music in the first place. Melodic, intricate music with an excellent vocalist.

The download thing shouldn't matter these days, what matters is the content...

Penny For Your Thoughts was amazing, but this one is more Progressive and Heavier, so that's a plus IMO.

For the non-believers, here's the entire album:

https://oddlogicrock.bandcamp.com/album/effigy

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:42 pm

Finally got to check this out today, and yea it's really good. I need some more listens before I try to sort it all out, but there were many wow moments.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:25 pm

I'm pleased that this is finally getting a little love...the band really deserve it. It is the first album under the Odd Logic moniker that's a full band effort, so maybe that's been an issue in the past too.
Matt

The Man of Much Metal

The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:17 pm

I thought the last one penny... was outstanding! I look forward to checking this one out as well.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:I thought the last one penny... was outstanding! I look forward to checking this one out as well.

+ 1

Manuel Cedeno

Postby Manuel Cedeno » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Thanks for posting. This is my first "Wow" release of the year. I'm sure there are others but I'm still catching up with some goodies from last year. Hopefully this band can attract more attention after this album. I just can't see how a prog fan wouldn't appreciate this one.

devomeister

Postby devomeister » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:46 pm

This is the first album from them I've enjoyed since that first Legends of Monta album, and I like this one even better.
Check out my professional portfolio:
https://chris_devo.artstation.com/

Check out my art blog:
http://chrisdevosartblog.blogspot.com/

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:34 am

I finally got around to buying this blind without hearing a note ........ I should have at least listened to the disc in the above posts that gave the link to the stream......but I didn't and bought it.

I have to agree that this band is really underrated...... this is a band from the USA playing polished, slick prog metal (although a bit on the lighter side of the metal) with a gloss coating over the music. Excellent production, great vocals. I've only been through the disc twice - playing the halves as I go. I have not played it on the main system yet. My first impressions are that I liked "Penny for Your Thoughts" better when I heard it for the first time, and did not feel the need to move around the disc looking for that "this is excellent" moment...... I find myself moving around a bit instead of just listening to the disc from start to finish. Shame on me, but I'll get to it.

I think "Penny" was a bit more "groovier" ? or "blusier" for lack of a better term ? It seemed to have more accessible melodies than this one does ... although I'm sure some will they have obviously progressed and not releasing the same disc twice.

Others might say that this band would have been great in the late 90s, early 2000s ? Either way - the band is excellent, and I'm looking forward to dissecting the disc even more as I go ......

Manuel Cedeno

Postby Manuel Cedeno » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Give it a few more spins Larry, it keeps growing on you. I like how they touch on different ranges of prog and yet keep the record balanced. I hope this release gains more traction.

Return to “PM: Core”