What's the point to have it on vinyl if the source is digital? Interesting video by Sebatien Bach (Skid Row)

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

GaetanL

What's the point to have it on vinyl if the source is digital? Interesting video by Sebatien Bach (Skid Row)

Post by GaetanL » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:23 pm

In this video Sebastien Bach from Skid Row talks about a reedition on vinyl of the album "Slave To The Grind".

I don't have any vinyl but I found the video very interesting.

The idea of a vinyl is to have an analog sound. You cannot download the analog sound of a vinyl. But what's the point to have it on vinyl if the source of the record is digital? It sounds stupid to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DDl2Jn_GYE
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Nos

Re: What's the point to have it on vinyl if the source is digital? Interesting video by Sebatien Bach (Skid Row)

Post by Nos » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:45 pm

It is stupid to put a digital recording on a vinyl. One of the main reasons we got away from vinyl is that a CD (or digital) can replicate more of the information on the original master tapes than a record can. One of the reasons early CDs sounded so bad was because they took the mixes that were made for vinyl, which had to have bass cut out so the needle stayed in the groove.

Most of what people associate as 'warmth' in vinyl is actually noise. Digital files are capable of being clearer and better sounding, but we can't change the psychology of those who believe analog must be better because it's analog.

introclaus

Re: What's the point to have it on vinyl if the source is digital? Interesting video by Sebatien Bach (Skid Row)

Post by introclaus » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:44 pm

Both of you have now made a clear assumption of WHY we buy vinyls ... both of you are right to a certain degree, but you're also wrong. Obviously one of you is always wrong, so I don't take his word for much (if anything at all).

However, I used to buy vinyl for 1 reason (that it was what was available back in the day, and I didn't love cassettes), and today I buy vinyls for 2 reasons, and neither of them are what you guys are saying:
1) I buy them from a pure collectors p.o.v. - as a fan of certain bands, I buy every single version available to me
2) I buy them from an aesthetic p.o.v. - I love having album art on my wall that represent my taste in music and often are brilliantly designed (a CD cover won't do here, as it's too small)

I have a record player and occasionally I listen to my vinyls, but it is NOT for the sound quality I do so, I leave that to the "audiophiles" around here.
Claus Jensen

Nos

Post by Nos » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:05 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:44 pm
1) I buy them from a pure collectors p.o.v.
2) I buy them from an aesthetic p.o.v.
Those are both totally legit reasons to buy vinyl. I never got into it, but I can see the appeal of them when they're sitting on a shelf, or you're looking at the bigger package while the album plays. Completely understandable.

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:45 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:44 pm
today I buy vinyls for 2 reasons, and neither of them are what you guys are saying:
1) I buy them from a pure collectors p.o.v. - as a fan of certain bands, I buy every single version available to me
2) I buy them from an aesthetic p.o.v. - I love having album art on my wall that represent my taste in music and often are brilliantly designed (a CD cover won't do here, as it's too small)
I'm a bit of a collector myself but not as much. These reasons to buy vinyls are important to you, that's what matters.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:45 am

I buy vinyl for many reasons, sound is (sometimes) less important.
Some vinyl sounds better than CD, if the time and care is taken to 'master for vinyl'.
But it's hit and miss to be honest, I do pay attention to who mastered and mixed and for re-issues what label are doing it.

For example my favourite band for the past ten years or so is Moonsorrow.
Some of their CD's sound less than great thanks to brickwalled mastering.

I splashed out on this mega box set and it was worth every cent I paid.
https://www.discogs.com/Moonsorrow-Heri ... se/6137841

I posted on Twitter about how good the vinyl sounds and the band's guitarist/composer commented on why I was listening to 'inferior analogue' sounds?
To which I replied 'because the mastering and sound is superior to the CD', he didn't reply.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:11 am

I
buy vinyl for many reasons, sound is (sometimes) less important.
Some vinyl sounds better than CD, if the time and care is taken to 'master for vinyl'.
But it's hit and miss to be honest, I do pay attention to who mastered and mixed and for re-issues what label are doing it.
****This is why i buy vinyl now as well ..... only if it sounds better than the original CD. I've only been replacing some lost vinyl of the past, when the bands have their "gems" remastered ....... I don't buy vinyl as an alternative to CD because of the obvious ....... why bother if it is a digital transfer ?

The recent Operation:Mindcrime Abbey Rd re-master is a great example. It is the best sounding version to date - and, they only released the CD version in an expensive boxed set. Thus, vinyl it is. This is usually the way I end up buying vinyl......

Normally, if the band issues both remasters on CD or vinyl, CD usually wins out as I don't have the room for the vinyl like I used to ...... strangely, the last two Pain of Salvation re-issues, BE and Perfect Element - the only choice was to buy the vinyl which provided the CD as well in the package. Here, the CDs sounded better than the vinyl did. I'm still scratching my head on that one - but, to hear BE and PE sounding like this is more than worth it. So it really depends.

Scott B

Post by Scott B » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:48 am

I buy vinyl because in the post-apocalyptic world where there is no electricity I will still be able to spin my turntable by hand and hear faint music. If I can source an old hand-crank Victrola that plays 33 1/3, I'll be set!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:54 pm

Scott B wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:48 am
I buy vinyl because in the post-apocalyptic world where there is no electricity I will still be able to spin my turntable by hand and hear faint music. If I can source an old hand-crank Victrola that plays 33 1/3, I'll be set!
**** This. ^^^^^^

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:25 pm

Scott B wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:48 am
Speaking of old hand-cranks, I can’t believe Ken G hasn’t weighed in yet….
Claus Jensen

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:58 pm

Meh

I’ll have a real answer tomorrow.

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:51 am

I started writing a long essay and it was getting ponderous so I scrapped it. Here is the basic explanation in a nutshell:

The answer is actually simple. Typical modern day digital recordings are done at 24 bits at a sampling rate of 96 khz/sec. Higher end studios can work at higher sampling rates of 192 khz and even 384 khz.

The problem is CDs are a 16 bit/44.1 khz medium. Information is lost in the mastering process in order to make the disc readable - 24 bits are dithered down to 16 bits.

Keep in mind that virtually all metal albums sound like utter shit. They are compressed to death in the recording process by inept engineers and then mastering is the final death blow. Why? Because bands want their album to sound LOUD. If you want LOUD you must compress the signal. Shit in shit out.

Vinyl is an analogue medium. The mastering engineer will cut the vinyl from whatever source is given to them. Labels that are conscientious will provide an uncompressed 24 bit master. This affords the cutting engineer the best possible source material to work with. Better than what the CD was pressed from.

You can present the argument that high resolution options such as Blu-ray or DVD-A or SACD should sound as good or potentially better. This is true but you are limited by the means of playback. The average consumer is not using a high end digital playback system. They aren’t hearing the true benefits of 24 bit recording.

If you just listen with earbuds, through your computer speakers, or car audio olease ignore this post. You are already deaf.

Harvester

Post by Harvester » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:34 am

LASERCD wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:51 am

If you just listen with earbuds, through your computer speakers, or car audio olease ignore this post. You are already deaf.
:D

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:11 pm

LASERCD wrote:
Sorry, I can’t hear you …
Claus Jensen

Harvester

Post by Harvester » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:08 pm

introclaus wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:11 pm
LASERCD wrote:
Sorry, I can’t hear you …
Explains a lot.

:lol:

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:30 pm

LASERCD wrote:
Keep in mind that virtually all metal albums sound like utter shit. They are compressed to death in the recording process by inept engineers and then mastering is the final death blow. Why? Because bands want their album to sound LOUD. If you want LOUD you must compress the signal. Shit in shit out.
Absolutely YES, YES, YES, these days my excitement for new releases is soon suppressed thanks to the terrible sounding albums.
I can count on one hand the really good sound metal albums of recent note, the best being Testament's 'Titans Of Creation' mixed and mastered by Andy Sneap. I wish all metal albums sounded this good.

The absolute worst is Threshold's 'Legends Of The Shire', it's so compressed, terrible dynamics and just horrible to listen to, despite the great songs.

Nos

Post by Nos » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:50 pm

gazinwales wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:30 pm
The absolute worst is Threshold's 'Legends Of The Shire', it's so compressed, terrible dynamics and just horrible to listen to, despite the great songs.
Maybe not metal, per se, but the worst of the worst I've heard are the last two Baroness albums. They are truly unlistenable, and an insult to the gullible marks who actually gave them money in exchange for the discs. They broke what should be the number one rule of being an artist; always give your best effort. They didn't give a shit about how their music was presented, so I'm not going to either.

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:06 pm

No idea what he said to kill the thread once again...