Mystery - Lies and Butterflies

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Random Axe

Mystery - Lies and Butterflies

Post by Random Axe » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:15 am

This is an amazing album that I really didn't give credit to upon release. There were a few people, myself among them, who likened this to Air Supply(which I love BTW), but it's far more than that. This really does have some depth I didn't notice last year. I'm sitting here in my work office playing this and am just floored how melodic and passionate the performances are. The ending epic Chrysalis is stunning. It definitely doesn't have a lot of metal or heavy leanings, more of Prog Yacht rock. Highly recommended for anyone who passed on this.

I'll follow this up with the new Divided Multitude so I feel more manly.
Last edited by Random Axe on Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

GaetanL

Re: Mystery - Lies and Butterflies

Post by GaetanL » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:30 am

When I saw them live last year, I realized like you that this album is better than I first thought. I need to revisit for sure...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:01 pm

I did indeed re-visit this disc many times after my initial thoughts on it when it came out ...... but it has, like you guys say, add up to much more than that.......

I am floored at the lack of talk on their new live 2-CD set, Live at Poznan ........ it shows what this band can do live, but what's more is the sound coming off this thing.....they get it right, and the set list is absolute bliss....... don't dismiss it just because it's a live disc, it's them doing what they do best ....... they are on my bucket list to see, but I fear I will have to go all the way to Montreal or Quebec to see them ........

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:20 pm

I suspect the problem may be that it's not a Blu-Ray.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:29 pm

Digital Man wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:20 pm
***Guy, the new Live in Poznan is a CD set, not DVD, if that's what you were referring to .......

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:21 pm

LarryD wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:29 pm
Digital Man wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:20 pm
***Guy, the new Live in Poznan is a CD set, not DVD, if that's what you were referring to .......
Yes, exactly. It's just a CD/audio instead of a DVD/BluRay/video.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:39 am

I have now gone back and spun Delusion Rain and World is a Game.

Damn, these are fantastic too. I kinda dismissed them when they came out but now I find myself playing them all day at work. I don't know if I can go back further into their catalog since they had a different vocalist. The current guy is just perfect for my tastes. Has he performed in any other bands prior to Mystery?

I'm not a huge live album guy, but I'm willing to try. Is there one better than another? Have they ever released a live DVD? I'm all in on these guys now.

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:58 am

Random Axe wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:39 am
I have now gone back and spun Delusion Rain and World is a Game.

Damn, these are fantastic too. I kinda dismissed them when they came out but now I find myself playing them all day at work. I don't know if I can go back further into their catalog since they had a different vocalist. The current guy is just perfect for my tastes. Has he performed in any other bands prior to Mystery?

I'm not a huge live album guy, but I'm willing to try. Is there one better than another? Have they ever released a live DVD? I'm all in on these guys now.
Yes they have a live DVD

https://www.lasercd.com/dvd/second-home-dvd

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:21 pm

Just ordered from you, Ken. Thank you! I figured they had to have doen some video with all the live albums they've done.

Question from an expert. How are the albums prior to this Jean? Is Benoit any good? Just curious.

I'll probably youtube sample their back catalog today since I have no clients. They're all at home making TP forts with Purell moats.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:30 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:21 pm
Just ordered from you, Ken. Thank you! I figured they had to have doen some video with all the live albums they've done.

Question from an expert. How are the albums prior to this Jean? Is Benoit any good? Just curious.

I'll probably youtube sample their back catalog today since I have no clients. They're all at home making TP forts with Purell moats.
***All Mystery discs with Jean are excellent ....... all Mystery discs with Benoit are excellent......same music, same excellent singers..... this band doesn't do anything less than stellar when it comes to their sound or music ......

The live dvd you ordered is stellar as well and you can now put the faces to the music ...... if you want to start somewhere back in their catalogue, start with Beyond the Veil of Winters Face.....

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:55 pm

LarryD wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:30 pm
Random Axe wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:21 pm

***All Mystery discs with Jean are excellent ....... all Mystery discs with Benoit are excellent......same music, same excellent singers..... this band doesn't do anything less than stellar when it comes to their sound or music ......

The live dvd you ordered is stellar as well and you can now put the faces to the music ...... if you want to start somewhere back in their catalogue, start with Beyond the Veil of Winters Face.....

I started with...all of them. I just ordered Beneath, One Among, Theater of Mind and Destiny. All of the samples I heard sounded phenomenal. How did I let these guys slip all these years? Amazing stuff.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:02 pm

How did I let these guys slip all these years?

*** You didn't check in with me or STevie ? :wink: It does happen though -- so much music - so little time .........

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:10 pm

Actually I think my brain wasn't ready for them until now. Sometimes the switch is flipped as you get older and can appreciate things you didn't previously. I'd heard them and actually had the Beneath album upon its release but I didn't care for it at the time. I was a very different person then so my evolution continues...maybe I'll actually appreciate female vocals in metal before I'm 60.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:10 am

Actually I think my brain wasn't ready for them until now. Sometimes the switch is flipped as you get older and can appreciate things you didn't previously. I'd heard them and actually had the Beneath album upon its release but I didn't care for it at the time. I was a very different person then so my evolution continues...maybe I'll actually appreciate female vocals in metal before I'm 60.
***That happens to me all the time as the years go on ...... it didn't take me as long to get into the female vocals, and I'm glad for that ...... I was going to suggest that since you are digging the Mystery material, and you like the Warmrain, maybe you should start getting into the Neo-Prog genre ? I'm sure you have checked it out here and there over the years, but I find myself starting to go back to it and enjoying it a lot, moreso now that I'm older..... I find that only certain metal sounds now make me excited, but starting to go back into the Neo-Prog catalog and checking new things is really exciting me ....... check out the Forgotten Neo-Prog thread above ......lots of goodies there to check out ......

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:34 pm

Neo is really, really hit or miss for me, mostly miss.

Melody and vocals are critical for me. If a band is lacking either I have a hard time connecting or paying attention. So recently Mystery, Southern Empire, Arc Angel and those type bands are really doing it for me. I've attempted bands like IQ, Pendragon, Pallas, Galahad with little success.

Others like Jadis, Kino, Frost, Sylvan, Saga are good for me in spots and a few tunes. At this point in my life I want comfort and luxury in my music. I am extremely narrow minded in this requirement.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:40 pm

I'm super impressed even with their first two albums. The singer isn't as good as Benoit or Jean but still decent. I don't know that I've encountered a band that has never put out a dud. These are all strong in their own way. I tried to hype them on a melodic rock board since they do have crossover appeal. I described them like mixing DeYoung fronted Styx with Enchant and Air Supply but with more symphonic elements.

That is probably a horrible description but otherwise I got nuthin.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:04 am

Random Axe wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:40 pm
I'm super impressed even with their first two albums. The singer isn't as good as Benoit or Jean but still decent. I don't know that I've encountered a band that has never put out a dud. These are all strong in their own way. I tried to hype them on a melodic rock board since they do have crossover appeal. I described them like mixing DeYoung fronted Styx with Enchant and Air Supply but with more symphonic elements.

That is probably a horrible description but otherwise I got nuthin.
***I totally agree with this assessment ..... and it's cool that you're digging in this back catalog the way you are. I know you are not into live shows, but when you have a band this talented, and they put out quality disc after disc, it begs to know if they can do it live ( since only the Frenchies are privileged to see them live ). Their live DVD and their latest live CD puts no doubt that they can pull it off live, and watching them do it is truly mesmerizing.