Thought on some recent DVD / Bluray shows......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Thought on some recent DVD / Bluray shows......

Post by LarryD » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:03 pm

It's a fact ..... I am and always have been a chump for concerts on vhs, dvd, bluray or whatever other format you can throw at me ..... there is something special about seeing a show that a) you saw and want to re-live forever. b) never saw the show and never will. c) memory of a show from the past that blew you away (Operation:Mindcrime for example). d) Love the band and may never get to see them live ever (Pendragon & Arena I'm talking to you unless I can get back up to Canada again). e) A band releases only ONE major dvd show in their career (Frank Marino I'm talking to you, and Symphony X WTF are you waiting for).

Special shout out to Gaetan who knows what I'm talking about here ....... :wink:

The list above goes on and on - and I never understood someone who says " I don't watch DVD concerts" ........for me, putting on a DVD show in the background is like listening to the live CD of the band, with the VISUAL. But then you have people who say " I don't listen to live CDs " ....... Damn, I'm confused. I digress, but here we go with some recent purchases ON DVD AND BLURAY. :P

PENDRAGON / Masquerade 20 -
How in the hell did I miss this show when it came out ? I'm a sucker for The Masquerade Overture CD and I'm missing this show. So weird. Not much to say about this show except that it was filmed in 2016, and the drummer has changed from the Pure era, and Nick Barrett is absolutely on fire here. He has a tenacity at this show that I don't think I have seen from him before, and his guitar playing is so much more intricate and powerful this time out. For some reason, Pendragon only releases on DVD, and while their sound is excellent, I never found the video quality to be on par with everyone else doing videos. It's very good, but it doesn't wow me like some others. I'm giving the audio an 9.0 and the video a 7.5-8.0. They finally play INDIGO as the last song on in the show ....... awesome.

MARILLION / All One Tonight (Live at the Royal Albert Hall) -
Let me start off by saying that I haven't gotten thru the entire show yet, and I'm not really a STeve Hogarth-era fan. I cut my teeth on Fish, way back in time, and those of you who know me well, know that I hate change in bands that begin as greatness and then lose someone that made them great in the first place. (Queensryche anyone?)
That said - someone here on this board said that I had to have this show, even after I insisted I didn't care for Hogarth. He pointed me to a link that had a song from the show, and I but my tongue and knew this was something special. After one song, I bit the bullet and bought the DVD, not the bluray. Sounds weird, but I gauge whether or not to buy the bluray based on how well I like the band, and how many times I think I will re-visit it. Turns out, the DVD quality is superb. Both audio and video are outstanding, and as I'm watching I'm telling myself " I don't need a bluray, this is awesome as is " ...... The first part is the entire FEAR disc played in entirety, and the second disc are from various other discs..... I got halfway thru the FEAR part, and I have to admit that I am enjoying the show a lot. So much, that I might have to investigate some of the Hogarth material in the future.....the band here is about pure class, and put on a great show. It's all about the atmosphere here, and they got that down to a tee......I'm not sure how many times I will re-visit this show, but time will tell once I get thru the whole thing. I may say I'm glad I have a Marillion show, or I may say that I am now Hogarth converted. Audio - 10. Video - 10.

SONS OF APOLLO / Live with the Provdiv Psychotic Symphony -
I'm a bit baffled why no one else is talking about this show, especially after the brutal slaying they put down on us at the last Prog Power. That show alone should have prompted a ton of people here to go out and buy this blindly. The only other person I know who has this is Todd and he was loving it when he got it..... If you saw their PP show, then you know what to expect. If you didn't, they are filming this at a beautiful outdoor theater in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. Who thinks of these things ? A beautiful arena and setting for a cool prog metal band that slays once again just as they did before. The first part of the show is Sons of Apollo songs and solos, and the second half ( which I haven't seen yet ) is with the Plodiv Orchestra. Check out some of these titles with the orchestra:
Kashmir
Gates of Babylon
Diary of a Madman
The Show Must Go On ( I'd buy this for this song alone never mind with an orchestra)
Lines in the Sand

There is an encore section, Behind the scenes, and Symphony music videos. The sound is outstanding, coming in at maybe 9.0. The video quality is about a 9.0 as well, but I have one major bitch about the filming. They use a ton of cameras and they pan frequently, and I mean frequently. They never stay on a person for more than a few seconds, and it drives me crazy even though that is the style these days..... Other than that, this is a spectacular show, and essential if you like this band. They were "good" on disc to me, as lots of thought the style was a bit confusing, but in a live setting this band slays the dragon. I'm a total convert now, blind buy on the next disc, and if you want more than spectacular, it's Jeff Scott Soto doing an entire Queen Tribute show at next years Prog Power. I would get down to Atlanta just for that show if it was outside of PP. That will be a once in a lifetime show.

FRANK MARINO / Live at the Agora Theatre -
Most of you here will be too young to remember Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush when they first came out. If you did, you probably hit them halfway thru their career, or never. I've been a fan from the beginning, and I actually saw them in 1979 with UFO and Nazareth. I have their first 6 or 7 albums (LPs) as they came out. The rest on CD. Frank was one of the most influential guitarists of the 70s, and was one of my childhood guitar heroes along with Rik Emmett and Alex Lifeson ( notice they are all from Canada ? ). Anyway, FRank never released a commcercial DVD show ever, as his music was wrapped up by the record labels since he was 16, long story...... this set comes only one way > 1 bluray, 3 dvds, and a book written about FRank and his life. You have to buy it directly from him, on Facebook, for a mere $110 plus shipping.
Of course I bought it. There are 3 different shows, with all different songs, none repeated. Total running time > 350 minutes. 6 hrs of concert show. Absolutely amazing. I doubt anyone else will run out to buy this one, so I'll stop here and say that the audio / video of this thing is 10.0 And Frank signed my copy. Pure awesomeness.

IQ / Scrape Across the Sky ( Live in Holland, 2014 )
Pure class. Audio - 10 Video - 8.0 Reason, it's a bluray but it looks like DVD quality but outstanding the same, if that makes sense. They could have released a DVD version of this as well, and had this quality and saved me from running out and having to buy a Bluray player that PLays PAL, I have have 2 DVD players that play PAL dammit, not I have three. Thanks IQ - you're lucky I'm a chump fan from the last 24 years or so ...... I digress. Since the last IQ disc I bought, they have lost 3 of their players.....those remaining are Peter Nicholls and Mike Holmes. When the bass player came out, I thought wow, John Jowitt looks really young !!!!! Nope, it's Tim Esau who looks exactly like John Jowitt 20 years ago ...... That said, this show gave me goosebumps. This is an incredibly classy band, putting on an incredible show with very little other than themselves playing and 3 video screens behind them. No flash, no crazy lights, nothing.,...except when they all come out wearing Santa hats for the encores, as it must be Christmas time in Holland.... It's the Road of Bones songs here that really get things going ......that's when I got goosebumps. Playing The Seventh House at the end of the show, and Widows Peak for an encore seals this show as damn near perfect. Definitely worth having to go out and buy a PAL bluray player for, and I wouldn't do that for many bands. Outstanding show, and essential for IQ fans. Good luck finding this one though ......

GaetanL

Re: Thought on some recent DVD / Bluray shows......

Post by GaetanL » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:16 pm

A concert on Blu-ray not mentioned released this year I like very much is:

Journey - Live In Japan 2017: Escape + Frontiers

The title says it all... My two favorites Journey albums played entirely (Frontiers being my favorite of the two)... I can't ask for more... Their singer from the Philippines is really good I think...

By the way, the song "Edge Of The Blade" has become one of my favorites Journey songs! Thanks to Redemption and Nick for their cover who woke me up!

Original "Edge Of The Blade" song by Journey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8bEt-c9-lU
Last edited by GaetanL on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:29 pm

Yeah, that Sons of Apollo...funny that you mentioned that the material hits harder live than it does on disc - I 100% agree. These guys are all just total pros, and prior to this band, I wouldn't have known Soto if he ran me over, but he's the real deal. Just a great show all around.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

Testofwills

Post by Testofwills » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:12 pm

I watched again the Awaken The Guardian from Progpower STill gives me chills....

Im quite upset Larry i missed Sorceror....I knew they would amazing.....Glad the crowd enjoy them

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:02 am

I'm just waiting for Lasers Edge to get the Sons of Apollo Blu-ray only edition back in stock to get it.

At ProgPower I picked up DVDs of Anthem at Loud Park 2007, Masterplan not sure what year but I think 2016, Amorphis, and Jorn 2011. I got the Jorn live show that just came out this summer and really liked it, so I'll check out the 2011 one next. Right before going to ProgPower I swung by the store and picked up a Gov't Mule two-DVD-two-CD set that just came out. This one is unique because the CD setlist and the DVD setlists are different, so across all four discs you get a huge amount of unique material. I haven't gotten it out of the plastic yet but it's coming up this month.

I should probably grab that IQ. I have the bonus DVD that came with their 2009 album which is neat but kind of short.
Fortunately I have one of those Blu-ray players that can play the weird European frame rate. So I am able to watch the Anglagard "Made in Norway" Blu-ray etc.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:38 am

I'm just waiting for Lasers Edge to get the Sons of Apollo Blu-ray only edition back in stock to get it.

***I just watched a little more of the show and it's outstanding ....... a shame they couldn't include Comfortably Numb and Dream On onto the show, but I watched them on YouTube and they were stunning ....... Jeff Scott Soto is so awesome.

I should probably grab that IQ. I have the bonus DVD that came with their 2009 album which is neat but kind of short.
Fortunately I have one of those Blu-ray players that can play the weird European frame rate. So I am able to watch the Anglagard "Made in Norway" Blu-ray etc.
***Definitely grab that IQ show .... pure class. When they played "Road of Bones" I had goosebumps on my arms ...... dare I say that after all these years, Peter Nicholls not only sounds the best he ever has (when hasn't he), but he hits some high notes I've never heard him sing before, and at this age !!!!!!
I think you will have to import this from overseas to find it ......The Lasers Edge was the only place in the USA selling them at the time, and I haven't seen it since.....

elendil

Post by elendil » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:03 pm

That Plovdiv venue is also where Anathema filmed _Universal_, another great DVD show.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:15 pm

elendil wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:03 pm
That Plovdiv venue is also where Anathema filmed _Universal_, another great DVD show.

***Ok, I thought those stone seats looked familiar ......... yes it's a very atmospheric place.......

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:21 am

elendil wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:03 pm
Am I wrong that the road goes under the venue? Sure looked like it...it was cool.

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:44 pm

I really like Sons of Apollo, but live is a whole other level. They just stayed the place at PP! Loving the Blu-ray too. Played the half with orchestra again last night.

Looks like the highway is right next to the place. Not sure if it actually goes under.

The last Devin blue ray is also in this venue I believe.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Larry, cool you finally get to watch that IQ Blu-ray. It’s a good show.

Frank Marino looks like a heck of a package. I may need to grab this one too.

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Testofwills wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:12 pm
I watched again the Awaken The Guardian from Progpower STill gives me chills....

Im quite upset Larry i missed Sorceror....I knew they would amazing.....Glad the crowd enjoy them
That Fates oh man! So awesome!