King Diamond / Songs for the Dead.... CD / DVD set.

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

King Diamond / Songs for the Dead.... CD / DVD set.

Postby LarryD » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:01 am

Finally !!!! It's here !!!!!! The long awaited dvd concert from King Diamond and Co. I waited for the mailman to show up and went out to the mailbox, and immediately ripped it open and played it twice - 2 last night, and it's now playing as I write this.

I originally ordered the Bluray show from Amazon -- while others were getting theirs, my ship date kept getting pushed around until they finally settled on Feb 13 - Mar 1, which tells me that they ran out of stock. I quickly cancelled the bluray, ($26 I think?), and re-ordered the 2 dvd / 1 CD set - and I'm so glad I did...... the quality of the standard edition is stunning in audio and video. It's so good - I didn't even wince at cancelling the bluray, and I'm a chump for video quality, of which this is stunning.

You get 2 shows, one filmed in Philadelphia and one filmed at Graspop, a huge outdoor event like Wacken. Huge crowd, but I like the Philly show better. The setlist is the same, which I question - Abigail in it's entirety is on both shows, I would have preferred a one-off show of THEM and one of Abigail for the other - I wouldn't care about the rest of the setlist if that happened...... as it stands, only one song from Them, and one song from Conspiracy, and I can only scratch my head at that choice for his one and only DVD show. You also get 2 Mercyful Fate songs, and 1 or 2 others from King solo discs......

The show itself is pretty much what you see on You Tube, an actress playing all of the roles from Them, to Abigail (which is really cool - she is very convincing as Abigail), and he also a backup female singer off to the side of the stage, and this is the most baffling part - I can't tell where she comes in most of the time. King is somehow hitting all of the notes from all discs, and the camera shows her singing at the same time - so who is really hitting those notes ? I kept scanning back and forth to see but they keep it such that you can't see them doing it at the same time - although one shot of King hitting a really high note shows her absent from the mic for a split second, and I couldn't believe that King was actually singing that high at this stage of the game.... I would love to know how they did it ......

That said -- it's pretty awesome, and will satisfy most King fans who have waited this long for a show.......I'm happy.

Pros:

- Audio and video is superb for standard DVD; Andy LaRocque did most of the audio recording so that would be why it sounds so stunning. Video is so good, I didn't see the need for a Bluray; I still may bite in the future, but as it stands, this version is more than excellent.

- Nice 3-way digi-pak set; weird that they put the CD in a separate cardboard case and just let it hang inside - they had room to add it into the digi-pak but chose to put the credits there instead.

- Andy LaRocque. Period. Playing a custom guitar with the Abigail album cover as part of the guitar design, coolest ever.

- The band. Tight tight tight. Mike Wead (Deadly Lullabyes and others) on board for guitar again.

- King hitting ALL of the high notes from Abigail and beyond .... how on God's green earth ????

Cons:

- Camera angles and shots. Too many cameras. This happens lately on a lot of dvd shows - too many cameras panning quickly and not staying put on one player for very long. If you have vertigo, beware.

- Not filmed in video, shot on film which takes away from the "live" look of the show and makes it look like a movie.

- 2 full shows of Abigail; give me one show of THEM and one show of Abigail please. You owe it to me after all of these years.

- Andy and Mike not playing the twin leads as they are on the albums. They only play single solos, not the twins - I did catch it a couple of times when they did it, but for the most part they stay in single mode. I scratched my head every time I saw this. Mike plays most of the leads I think, which I think is weird - it appears Andy is slowing down a bit, but remains to me one of the most underrated guitarists in metal.

This show is absolutely essential for King Diamond fans.

Sleepless Niiiiiiiiiiiiights !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

GaetanL

Re: King Diamond / Songs for the Dead.... CD / DVD set.

Postby GaetanL » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:41 am

You waited so long for this thing and cannot wait a little longer for the Blu-ray? If the image quality is excellent on the DVD this probably means that it will be even better on the Blu-ray...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:04 pm

GaetanL wrote:You waited so long for this thing and cannot wait a little longer for the Blu-ray? If the image quality is excellent on the DVD this probably means that it will be even better on the Blu-ray...

***The fact that I waited so long means that I had to have it as soon as possible ......like NOW !!!!! :) As far as the bluray - I will be in South Carolina during the shipping date, so I'll wait until I get down there to order it ..... in the meantime, I have the show I've been waiting for ....... :twisted:

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:15 pm

OK, you plan to order the Blu-ray as well! Great!
Gaétan

Testofwills

Postby Testofwills » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:13 am

I have the Blurray and cant praise it enough...The sound is incredible and Imo I really like how its shot,,The drum camera has a cool live look...and I like the edits and how the whole concert looks.....King sounds unreal and I wonder if any touch ups were done in post production and Kings wife is really hard to hear at least to my ears..........anyway one of the better shows I have seen for awhile

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:27 pm

LarryD wrote:The show itself is pretty much what you see on You Tube, an actress playing all of the roles from Them, to Abigail (which is really cool - she is very convincing as Abigail),

Them: she plays "Grandma"
Abigail: she plays the role of both the counts wife as well as Miriam
For the Mercyful Fate songs, she also plays the role of Melissa, (the witch that got burned by the priests in the song), and the high priestess that performs the ceremony in "Come to the Sabbath"

LarryD wrote: and he also a backup female singer off to the side of the stage, and this is the most baffling part - I can't tell where she comes in most of the time. King is somehow hitting all of the notes from all discs, and the camera shows her singing at the same time - so who is really hitting those notes ? I kept scanning back and forth to see but they keep it such that you can't see them doing it at the same time - although one shot of King hitting a really high note shows her absent from the mic for a split second, and I couldn't believe that King was actually singing that high at this stage of the game.... I would love to know how they did it ......

The back up singer is King's wife. I believe that she is singing most of the really high parts, and either she is so good at mimicking his voice that she can come really close to match it OR they've done some serious overdubbing afterwards. From what I gather, she does quite an impressive job at matching King, so I give her the benefit of the doubt here and say that she takes care of the really high parts and he does the rest.

LarryD wrote:Pros:
- Audio and video is superb for standard DVD; Andy LaRocque did most of the audio recording so that would be why it sounds so stunning. Video is so good, I didn't see the need for a Bluray; I still may bite in the future, but as it stands, this version is more than excellent.
- Nice 3-way digi-pak set; weird that they put the CD in a separate cardboard case and just let it hang inside - they had room to add it into the digi-pak but chose to put the credits there instead.
- Andy LaRocque. Period. Playing a custom guitar with the Abigail album cover as part of the guitar design, coolest ever.
- The band. Tight tight tight. Mike Wead (Deadly Lullabyes and others) on board for guitar again.
- King hitting ALL of the high notes from Abigail and beyond .... how on God's green earth ????

Yup!!!

LarryD wrote:Cons:
- Camera angles and shots. Too many cameras. This happens lately on a lot of dvd shows - too many cameras panning quickly and not staying put on one player for very long. If you have vertigo, beware.

Does not bother me at all

LarryD wrote:- Not filmed in video, shot on film which takes away from the "live" look of the show and makes it look like a movie.

I'm apparently not enough of a video-geek to know the difference :)

LarryD wrote:- 2 full shows of Abigail; give me one show of THEM and one show of Abigail please. You owe it to me after all of these years.

Meh - this is perfect as is - the idea is super cool to show two sides of the same coin - one with a festival audience who are "aware" of King's material but not necessarily huge fans, though the stage set up here is ginormous(!!!) and one with a very intimate stage setting in front of a hardcore King-fanbase screaming along all the lyrics and even dressing up like the King.

LarryD wrote:- Andy and Mike not playing the twin leads as they are on the albums. They only play single solos, not the twins - I did catch it a couple of times when they did it, but for the most part they stay in single mode. I scratched my head every time I saw this. Mike plays most of the leads I think, which I think is weird - it appears Andy is slowing down a bit, but remains to me one of the most underrated guitarists in metal.

Mike plays the leads that Michael Denner played on "Abigail" (and on the Mercyful Fate material) and Andy plays what he played on the album ... keep in mind that at that time Denner was the guitar hero in the band and he played most of the leads back then, so it's only natural that Andy had less solo parts.
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:39 pm

OK, I ordered the Blu-ray...
Long time ago I investigated Mercyful Fate / King Diamond... I liked this but to be honest I'm not the biggest fan so far. In the past it happened that live concerts have turned me into studio albums so I'm giving this concert a try. I'm curious to see this...

Maybe Larry you should get Stryper - Live At The Whisky CD / DVD (2014). I think this is the only official release of a Stryper concert (VHS or DVD) recorded in your country... I bought this recently and watched it and liked it. The King Diamond concert could not exist without the Stryper concert and vice versa if you see what I mean... :wink: In the Stryper concert the crosses are right-side-up! :wink:
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:55 am

GaetanL wrote:OK, I ordered the Blu-ray...
Long time ago I investigated Mercyful Fate / King Diamond... I liked this but to be honest I'm not the biggest fan so far. In the past it happened that live concerts have turned me into studio albums so I'm giving this concert a try. I'm curious to see this...

Maybe Larry you should get Stryper - Live At The Whisky CD / DVD (2014). I think this is the only official release of a Stryper concert (VHS or DVD) recorded in your country... I bought this recently and watched it and liked it. The King Diamond concert could not exist without the Stryper concert and vice versa if you see what I mean... :wink: In the Stryper concert the crosses are right-side-up! :wink:

***Sorry bro -- I did my proverbial Stryper time in the 80s ....... no need to re-visit that era. :wink:

Return to “PM: Core”