The Forgotten Heroes of Prog Metal Thread

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

introclaus

The Forgotten Heroes of Prog Metal Thread

Post by introclaus » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:47 pm

The SANVOISEN post from last week really got me thinking about all those amazing prog metal bands that were the basis for all our discussions here - those bands without whom most of us wouldn't care so deeply for the genre. Those bands that showed us a window to more than just Dream Theater/Queensryche/Fates Warning ...

So, I'm hoping this thread can start some interesting discussions about the music we all listened to back in the day, and reminisce about a few overlooked and forgotten bands, and who knows, perhaps even find a band or two we didn't even know existed.

I'll start out with one of my absolute favorites from back then;

LORD BANE - Age of Elegance

One album only, but what a disc ... this was a demo from a young American band, that somehow made it overseas and found its way onto the desk of Nordic Metal, a tiny Danish record label. Mika, the owner of NM played the demo for me (and the rest of the Metalized Magazine editorial staff) at a holiday party, and while I was heavily intoxicated, I still remember the impact it had on me - I was blown away. Mika had just signed the band and instead of asking them to re-record in a professional studio he decided to release as is. Perhaps not the smartest business decision, but the result is one amazing, and truly classic epic prog metal disc. The music can best be described as a darker, proggier and more epic version of Crimson Glory, with hints of middle eastern music and huge, bombastic soundscapes. I love this album, and it was such a shame that the band just seemed to disappear. Years later I actually got in touch with vocalist/guitarist/songwriter Shawn Ames, who had started a solo project called Morpheous, continuing the incredible sound and style from Lord Bane, although completely self done (computer drums and all...) - we started working together, in my capacity as manager, found him a record deal, discussed remixing the Lord Bane album and in general had plenty of great ideas for the future - however, things somehow took a turn in the a wrong direction and Shawn and I parted ways again. I'm still hoping though that Shawn eventually will get his ducks in row and get more of the Morpheous material out (there's a few of the demo songs floating around out there) officially. Until that happens, at least we can enjoy the brilliance that was LORD BANE.

Full Album stream:
https://youtu.be/_B4wwZ7OGvU
Last edited by introclaus on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Re: The Forgotten Heroes of Prog Metal Thread

Post by GaetanL » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:51 pm

Prog Metal
Excellent (My rating out of 5 is 5, 4.5 or 4 in my music software)
Obscure / Forgotten (I have shorten my first list by being more severe on this criteria)
Album is at least 10 years old

Rating: 5
Madsword - The Global Village
Power Of Omens - Eyes Of The Oracle

Rating: 4.5
Ebony Ark - Decoder
Echosilence - Distorted Horizon
Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe
Superior - Ultima Ratio
Time Machine - Evil
Vauxdvihl - To Dimension Logic

Rating: 4
Akashic - Timeless Realm
All Too Human - Entropy
AtmOsfear - AtmOsfear
AtmOsfear - Inside The Atmosphere
Aztec Jade - Concrete Eden
Balance Of Power - Perfect Balance
Balance Of Power - Heathen Machine
Beyond Twilight - The Devil's Hall Of Fame
Beyond Twilight - Section X
Carisma - 1825
Cea Serin - ... Where Memories Combine...
Chrome Shift - Ripples In Time
Conception - In Your Multitude
Conception - Flow
Crises - Balance
Darkstar - Marching Into Oblivion
Darkwater - Calling The Earth To Witness
DBC - Universe
Dividing Horizons - Seizure
Dreamscape - End Of Silence
Dreamscape - 5th Season
Ebony Ark - Ebony Ark
Empty Tremor - Apocolokyntosys
Eternity X - The Edge
Fifth Season - Journey Through An Open Mind
Fragile Vastness - A Tribute To Life
Heaven's Cry - Food For Thought Substitute
Holocaust - The Sound Of Souls
Holocaust - Covenant
Holocaust - The Courage To Be
House Of Spirits - Turn Of The Tide
Indukti - S.U.S.A.R.
Mystère De Notre Dame - Mystère De Notre Dame
Payne's Gray - Kadath Decoded
Point Of View - Disillusioned
Power Of Omens - Rooms Of Anguish
Scenario - A Fearfull Symmetry
Section A - Parallel Lives
Soul Cages - Moments
Soul Cages - Craft
Speaking To Stones - Speaking To Stones
Sphere Of Souls - From The Ashes...
Stonehenge - Angelo Salutante
Stramonio - Seasons Of Imagination
Sun Caged - Sun Caged
Superior - Behind
Tad Morose - Leaving The Past Behind
Tad Morose - Sender Of Thoughts
Time Symmetry - Fate In Gray
Veni Domine - Fall Babylon Fall
World Of Silence - Mindscapes
Last edited by GaetanL on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:08 pm

introclaus wrote: LORD BANE - Age of Elegance
One album only, but what a disc ... this was a demo from a young American band, that somehow made it overseas and found its way onto the desk of Nordic Metal, a tiny Danish record label. Mika, the owner of NM played the demo for me (and the rest of the Metalized Magazine editorial staff) at a holiday party, and while I was heavily intoxicated, I still remember the impact it had on me - I was blown away. Mika had just signed the band and instead of asking them to re-record in a professional studio he decided to release as is. Perhaps not the smartest business decision, but the result is one amazing, and truly classic epic prog metal disc. The music can best be described as a darker, proggier and more epic version of Crimson Glory, with hints of middle eastern music and huge, bombastic soundscapes. I love this album, and it was such a shame that the band just seemed to disappear. Years later I actually got in touch with vocalist/guitarist/songwriter Shawn Ames, who had started a solo project called Morpheous, continuing the incredible sound and style from Lord Bane, although completely self done (computer drums and all...) - we started working together, in my capacity as manager, found him a record deal, discussed remixing the Lord Bane album and in general had plenty of great ideas for the future - however, things somehow took a turn in the a wrong direction and Shawn and I parted ways again. I'm still hoping though that Shawn eventually will get his ducks in row and get more of the Morpheous material out (there's a few of the demo songs floating around out there) officially. Until that happens, at least we can enjoy the brilliance that was LORD BANE.
My rating out of 5 in my music software is 3.5 for this album. With a better production my rating would have been 4 easily...
Gaétan

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:23 am

GaetanL wrote:Madsword - The Global Village
Always loved this one. Been a while. Might be time to break it back out.
Power Of Omens - Eyes Of The Oracle
Always WANTED to love this one, but never did. My attitude was always that it sounded like each musician was playing an entirely different piece of music. Liked the Tate-esque vocal, though.
Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe
I'd liked the song released prior to the full album release, but the album overall didn't work for me. Similar problem for me I think as with PoO. Much respect in both cases, though.
Superior - Ultima Ratio
Loved this band. Even enjoyed about half of Younique, though Behind and Ultima Ratio were easily their most enjoyable.
Vauxdvihl - To Dimension Logic
There was loads of positive buzz for this one back in the day, but it never clicked for me for some reason.
All Too Human - Entropy
Holy crap, I completely forgot about this band! I think I had and enjoyed their self-titled? Maybe? Memory is completely gone on this.
Beyond Twilight - The Devil's Hall Of Fame
Uneven, often cheesy songwriting, but Jorn at his freakin' PEAK! "Godless and Wicked" and "Crying" are still some of my favorite all time progmetal tunes.
Beyond Twilight - Section X
I didn't listen to this as much, but it was decent, and deserved more attention.
Conception - In Your Multitude
Conception - Flow
Were these forgotten? I played these to death, and still love them, so it doesn't seem forgotten to me. Plus, with the new EP coming out and the massive response they got for their crowdfunding, "forgotten" seems incorrect. Flow was under-appreciated on release, though. Also worth noting that Flow is an unusually well-mastered album for the time.
Darkstar - Marching Into Oblivion
I loved both Darkstar albums! But yeah, never got too much notice, even compared to forgotten heroes Psychotic Waltz (I still need to digitize the vinyl box set that I've had since it was released!).
Dreamscape - End Of Silence
Dreamscape - 5th Season
Never heard these. Only really cared for the first two. And yes, I miss Hubi's girly vocals.
Empty Tremor - Apocolokyntosys
Sort of sloppy, but good god they were KIDS! The follow-up had significantly more polish. I loved both. Hell, the firey version of the logo on the alternate cover was some photoshop thing that I'd done in college that Daniele asked to use. I'm guessing that the cover artist was not pleased. :P
Heaven's Cry - Food For Thought Substitute
There's s good forgotten album! This needs a revisit!
House Of Spirits - Turn Of The Tide
Another one needing a revisit. One of the first progmetal albums that I bought from LaserCD, if I recall. Didn't click for me as well as others, so I did forget about it.
Payne's Gray - Kadath Decoded
So many people loved this, but it never clicked for me.
Superior - Behind
Their best, IMO, despite some stupid lyrics ("scummy slime"!?)
Tad Morose - Leaving The Past Behind
I think I had this one but didn't love it. I loved Matters of the Dark, though.

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:47 am

Here's some other forgotten gems, IMO:

Eniac Requiem - Space Eternal Void (this desperately needs a remaster with drum triggers that don't suck so badly)
Lion's Share - two
Lion's Share - Fall From Grace
The Quiet Room - Introspect
Enertia - Force
Twilight - Eye for an Eye
Event - Electric Skies (I like the later ones as well, especially Scratching at the Surface, but they were tough)
Ebu Gogo - Chase Scenes 1​-​14 (now remastered and faaaaaar better as a result!)
Last edited by Packgrog on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:54 am

so yeah .. sure .. we can just go ahead and list everything right away .. lol

I was thinking more about listing one album in each post and putting in links to listen to it, so people easily could respond to that one, but hey ;)
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:01 am

introclaus wrote:so yeah .. sure .. we can just go ahead and list everything right away .. lol
I didn't list everything... Nothing below my rating of 4 out of 5. I also made an effort to focus only on obscure / forgotten... Took a long time to make this list...
Gaétan

T'ski

Post by T'ski » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:19 am

Digital Ruin - Listen

elendil

Post by elendil » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:20 am

OK, I'll follow OP's original vision here. :)

Avidost - demo

The best metal band never signed? Female vocals drew comparisons to Madder Mortem, but the music reminds me more of an off-kilter, occasionally atonal Nevermore, mixed with a vaguely doomy/blackish/Norwegian sensibility. Lots of crunch & complexity.

https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/defau ... did=153249

If anyone has difficulty finding all their tracks, I believe I have them all and would be happy to share.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:50 am

elendil wrote:OK, I'll follow OP's original vision here. :)

Avidost - demo

The best metal band never signed? Female vocals drew comparisons to Madder Mortem, but the music reminds me more of an off-kilter, occasionally atonal Nevermore, mixed with a vaguely doomy/blackish/Norwegian sensibility. Lots of crunch & complexity.

If anyone has difficulty finding all their tracks, I believe I have them all and would be happy to share.

AVIDOST - A Silent Masquerade (demo)

Thanks, this is what I was talking about - finding stuff that I might have missed out on ... in this case, I have heard the band name before, but can't remember ever having listened to the music until now. I found the demo on YouTube and listened to it. Sorry to say though that the vocals completely ruin it for me. She is so off-pitch that I just can't stomach it. I made it through 3 tracks and then had to give up, sorry. Music is great though, and I definitely hear both the doom/black stuff as well as some Nevermore'ish stylings.

But yes, please keep those obscure bands coming :)
Last edited by introclaus on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:33 am

How about October Thorns never making a proper record? Sigh.

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:39 am

Sparky wrote:How about October Thorns never making a proper record? Sigh.
+1

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:09 pm

GaetanL wrote:
introclaus wrote:so yeah .. sure .. we can just go ahead and list everything right away .. lol
I didn't list everything... Nothing below my rating of 4 out of 5. I also made an effort to focus only on obscure / forgotten... Took a long time to make this list...
You listed everything that you felt were "forgotten heroes", right? Your 4, 4.5 and 5 rating discs ...

My point was that while I love to read that list, I just think that getting overwhelmed with a long list like that is going to make it difficult to go through it one-by-one and comment on it, whereas if you did an individual post in this thread on each, and commented about WHY this is important to you, and included some links for us to check it out, it would be more interesting than just a long list.

Oh well ... to each their own ...
Claus Jensen

Rycher

Post by Rycher » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:17 pm

My hometown boys from Chicago!

Radakka

More along the lines of melodic metal than prog, but certainly with the influences of Queensryche and the like. Killer guitar work from Michael Posch (currently writing and playing with Pamela Moore) and incredible vocals from Jon Dobbs. They released two albums on Century Media before disbanding. Jon and Dean still have a few cover bands that they play in, as well as playing together in an original groove metal band (Slick), where they'll toss in an occasional Radakka cover. Jon also reformed Paradoxx (his pre-Radakka metal band) for a few years, but they just disbanded again for good.

I'll Walk Alone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EATNej68MFg

Out of the Dark - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B0ZcM1VA9k

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:19 pm

T'ski wrote:Digital Ruin - Listen

DIGITAL RUIN - Listen

I just went back and listened to that disc. That was a disc that I really loved back then. However, listening to it now didn't really go over that well - in fact it sounds "old". We've obviously come a long way in terms of production since then :) I also feel that there's too much screaming and not enough melody in the vocals here (which is funny because that was never a problem for me back in the day). However, it did get me in a nostalgic mood for this kind of "classic prog metal" sound, so I dug out the old The Quiet Room "Introspect" disc, and while that is from around the same time, it really didn't feel as "old". Some discs stand the test of time better than others I guess. Again, I'm sure it all comes down to personal taste, to I'm curious to hear what you think of "Listen" today?
Last edited by introclaus on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:27 pm

Rycher wrote:My hometown boys from Chicago!

Radakka

More along the lines of melodic metal than prog, but certainly with the influences of Queensryche and the like. Killer guitar work from Michael Posch (currently writing and playing with Pamela Moore) and incredible vocals from Jon Dobbs. They released two albums on Century Media before disbanding. Jon and Dean still have a few cover bands that they play in, as well as playing together in an original groove metal band (Slick), where they'll toss in an occasional Radakka cover. Jon also reformed Paradoxx (his pre-Radakka metal band) for a few years, but they just disbanded again for good.

I loved and still play that 1st Radakka disc. Too bad the follow-up was far to be as good...

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Packgrog wrote:Here's some other forgotten gems, IMO:

Lion's Share - two
Lion's Share - Fall From Grace
Twilight - Eye for an Eye
3 killer albums I still play. 1st Lions Share was also pretty good IMO. Andy Engberg ruled back then and still rules today with the last Sorcerer who was killer and my #1 of 2017.

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:32 pm

introclaus wrote:
I just went back and listened to that disc. That was a disc that I really loved back then. However, listening to it now didn't really go over that well - in fact it sounds "old". We've obviously come a long way in terms of production since then :) I also feel that there's too much screaming and not enough melody in the vocals here (which is funny because that was never a problem for me back in the day). However, it did get me in a nostalgic mood for this kind of "classic prog metal" sound, so I dug out the old The Quiet Room "Introspect" disc, and while that is from around the same time, it really didn't feel as "old". Some discs stand the test of time better than others I guess. Again, I'm sure it all comes down to personal taste, to I'm curious to hear what you think of "Listen" today?
I actually preferred Dwelling In the Out (I think that's what it was called)
Bit better produced ,very cold and electronic heavy as fuck.

Quiet Room was awesome
I actually appreciated the attempt for them to get modern with Reconcieve with the Johnathan Davis meets Ray Alder style vox,even if at times it wasn't executed well..
Tarja is a female woman

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:36 pm

introclaus wrote:The SANVOISEN post from last week really got me thinking about all those amazing prog metal bands that were the basis for all our discussions here - those bands without whom most of us wouldn't care so deeply for the genre. Those bands that showed us a window to more than just Dream Theater/Queensryche/Fates Warning ...

So, I'm hoping this thread can start some interesting discussions about the music we all listened to back in the day, and reminisce about a few overlooked and forgotten bands, and who knows, perhaps even find a band or two we didn't even know existed.

I'll start out with one of my absolute favorites from back then;

LORD BANE - Age of Elegance

Full Album stream:
https://youtu.be/_B4wwZ7OGvU
How did I know you were going here first.
Strange thing is that I'm torn about the production.
Yes its crappy demo quality but at the same time it had a raw in your face energy that contrasted well with the orchastrattion that might have been lost if it was re recorded.

I didnt know they were from the states,always thought they were from Denmark.
Wonder also if Drenning ever contacted him when he was officially looking for a new vocalist,hell,I'd love to have this guy on a song or 2 as a duet with my female vocalist for my project(that I've been working on since 2001,lol,actually I scrapped most of that stuff a few years ago and went back to a Fates Warning meets Pink Floyd meets Metallica(guitar tone)meets Oakenfold sound....)
Tarja is a female woman

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:38 pm

From Long Island
My good friends Inner Strength,anyone remember their disk?
I have the demos from the follow up and they were heading in a nice blend of more modern grove with the technical style..then egos destroyed the band
Tarja is a female woman

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Guillaume wrote:3 killer albums I still play. 1st Lions Share was also pretty good IMO. Andy Engberg ruled back then and still rules today with the last Sorcerer who was killer and my #1 of 2017.
Anders still sounds great, but I just can't get into Sorcerer. Doom metal bores me to tears, with only a very small handful of exceptions (Madder Mortem - Desiderata, Candlemass - Nightfall).

elendil

Post by elendil » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:42 pm

introclaus wrote:
elendil wrote:OK, I'll follow OP's original vision here. :)

Avidost - demo

Thanks, this is what I was talking about - finding stuff that I might have missed out on ... in this case, I have heard the band name before, but can't remember ever having listened to the music until now. I found the demo on YouTube and listened to it. Sorry to say though that the vocals completely ruin it for me. She is so off-pitch that I just can't stomach it. I made it through 3 tracks and then had to give up, sorry. Music is great though, and I definitely hear both the doom/black stuff as well as some Nevermore'ish stylings.

But yes, please keep those obscure bands coming :)
I understand what you mean about the vocals, though I think that semi-atonal approach is intentional & interesting.

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Chris R wrote:Quiet Room was awesome
I actually appreciated the attempt for them to get modern with Reconcieve with the Johnathan Davis meets Ray Alder style vox,even if at times it wasn't executed well..
One of the few things we can agree on. I quite enjoyed Reconceive. The passing of that vocalist is utterly tragic.

T'ski

Post by T'ski » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:56 pm

introclaus wrote:
yes the production is poor, but I think that was due to lack of money/connections for the band.

by screaming do you mean the operatic type wailing, because I don't hear any screaming.

I still enjoy spinning this one now and again and feel it holds up.

Norén

Post by Norén » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:06 pm

Oh how I still love this album by Greyhaven
https://youtu.be/7iO5n4dfWPc
https://youtu.be/21ABU8Rz0Hk
Last edited by Norén on Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:14 pm

Norén wrote:Oh how I still love this album by Greyhaven
One of the best disks ever released for prog in the 1998-2001 period
Tarja is a female woman

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:22 pm

Rycher wrote:My hometown boys from Chicago!

Radakka

RADAKKA - Malice & Tranquility

That first RADAKKA album was amazing. I still love that disc. Such a nice smooth blend of prog metal, power metal and some really melodic hard rock. Not many bands were able to make this blend (Gemini, Hittman, Kidd Robin and a few others were the only ones I can think of). The second album was okay, but I didn't like it nearly as much as the debut.
Last edited by introclaus on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:26 pm

T'ski wrote:
introclaus wrote:
yes the production is poor, but I think that was due to lack of money/connections for the band.

by screaming do you mean the operatic type wailing, because I don't hear any screaming.

I still enjoy spinning this one now and again and feel it holds up.
Yes, the wailing is more "pitchy screaming" than actual singing in my opinion. I don't think Matt was a very accomplished singer on the debut (the second disc was better in that department). At that time I think a lot of "power/prog" bands were going for the theatrical Geoff Tate style of wailing, but not many had a singer capable of doing it well.

I'm glad to hear you still like the album, that's what makes it a classic to you :)
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:32 pm

Chris R wrote:From Long Island
My good friends Inner Strength,anyone remember their disk?
I have the demos from the follow up and they were heading in a nice blend of more modern grove with the technical style..then egos destroyed the band

INNER STRENGTH - Shallow Reflections

YES!!! That's one of those totally forgotten and underappreciated discs.
Not typical American - very technical prog - almost thrash-proggy in parts. In fact, besides Watchtower and Unleashed Power (which was a US/Danish combo) I don't think many US bands tried their hands at this style back then - it's more something you'd expect from Germany with bands like Mekong Delta, Target, Life's Artist, Sieges Even or Deathrow.
This is one of those albums I still enjoy here many years later.
Last edited by introclaus on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

Harvester

Post by Harvester » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:44 pm

Larry D had to go shopping before participating in this thread.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:06 pm

Harvester wrote:Larry D had to go shopping before participating in this thread.

ROFL !!!! yeah .... I did ..... funny though, I did post on this in response to Lord Bane, and it disappeared for some reason ...... will respond again. I'm with Claus, I thought we would address one band at a time, instead of a list of bands..... no way to keep up that way. I'll try to figure something out as to how to do this -- suggestions welcome........ we could always post, The Forgotten Heroes of Prog Metal......Lord Bane (and name the band after the title) or something like that ............

I could actually create a new section of board for that alone, but that would be a last resort.........let's work on this one .........I like the idea.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Chris R wrote:
Norén wrote:Oh how I still love this album by Greyhaven
One of the best disks ever released for prog in the 1998-2001 period

GREYHAVEN - Greyhaven

It’s one of those discs I really wanted to like back in the day but I just couldn’t get into it. I tried again today to no avail. Sorry...
Last edited by introclaus on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:28 am

MADSWORD - The Global Village

To many Perpetual Motion Board followers this album holds a special place in their heart - can't argue with that. The MADSWORD guys used to frequent this forum back in the days, and several of the people here (Larry D, ~D, Ken Golden ...) were on a close friendly level with the band. Heck, Sue Pathkiller (from PM and Seismic Radio) even helped out with some voice-overs on the album.

That said, I actually prefer the debut mini album ... wow, yeah, I know, that's almost heresy saying that. There was something more "raw" and way less polished about the debut, and I actually prefer the vocalist there (although his accent was pretty brutal ...). Their Dream Theater cover on there was quite astonishing as well.

"The Global Village" does hold up really well though. I took it for a spin last night, and it's still a solid disc. The instrumental is by far my favorite on the album, but there are other great tunes, such as "How Much Progress" and especially "Mind?s Bug". And, for an album released on such a "small" label back then, it has impeccable production.
Last edited by introclaus on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:02 am

SUPERIOR-Behind (1996)

This a killer album that I still play today. Their best IMO. Prog, but not too much, crunchy, excellent vox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlz7TepebDc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5cir8E7dfI

I wasn't too kind at the time on follow-up Younique (1998), but I'd need to play it again.
It has also been a long while since I played 2002's Ultima Ratio, but I liked it if I recall well. They seemed to have become proggier with each album...

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:07 pm

introclaus wrote:
To many Perpetual Motion Board followers this album holds a special place in their heart - can't argue with that. The MADSWORD guys used to frequent this forum back in the days, and several of the people here (Larry D, ~D, Ken Golden ...) were on a close friendly level with the band. Heck, Sue Pathkiller (from PM and Seismic Radio) even helped out with some voice-overs on the album.

That said, I actually prefer the debut mini album ... wow, yeah, I know, that's almost heresy saying that. There was something more "raw" and way less polished about the debut, and I actually prefer the vocalist there (although his accent was pretty brutal ...). Their Dream Theater cover on there was quite astonishing as well.

"The Global Village" does hold up really well though. I took it for a spin last night, and it's still a solid disc. The instrumental is by far my favorite on the album, but there are other great tunes, such as "How Much Progress" and especially "Mind?s Bug". And, for an album released on such a "small" label back then, it has impeccable production.
*** Agree with you on everything you said here - and I also remember way back then that you liked the debut better than Global Village ....... that disc was made during a very emotional, special time period for those involved - that disc brought a lot of us together, and Gianni, who was the one of the coolest dudes ever, understood that and waded thru the shit with us ......lots of stories behind that, but let's keep it present tense I guess for the sake of not re-living the tales.......

Gianni was actually here maybe a year ago - saying hello ........