Random Dream Theater thought

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Sparky

Random Dream Theater thought

Postby Sparky » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:50 am

Whatever you want to say about When Dream and Day Unite (even if you dig it - I'm 'meh'-ish) I will argue until I'm blue in the face that it and Images & Words are MILES apart. You can certainly hear a pretty darn good new band on WDADU, but can you *imagine* the band sitting on that powder keg of I&W material? Surely, they had to know they'd struck the motherload of creativity. God, what a titanic burst of magic I&W is....

There's a podcast out there from the singer of Silverstein, who only interviews lead singers, and his most recent episode was James LaBrie. James said the band was so fired up to record I&W that they literally went into the studio *right* after hiring him - 'I wasn't even getting paid at that point.' Crazy...

Chris R

Re: Random Dream Theater thought

Postby Chris R » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:10 pm

Not only living on Long Island back then but being a Petrucci student as well I was privy to lot of this material (and songs that were written back then that never made it to recordings)

Learning to Live,Metropolis,Take the Time and Change of Seasons were all played live when they were supporting Dreams and Day Unite and were part of the artists even before that album came out.
Tarja is a female woman

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:03 am

I'll agree with those thoughts ...... I still remember the feeling when I bought I&W and put it in the player for the first time ..... I thought I'd discovered the concept of magic...... I was heavily into QR, FW and Crimson Glory at the time, but when I heard I&W for the first time, I could not believe what I was hearing ......

It was, and still is, a magical disc ......

Kez

Postby Kez » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:38 am

I'm fully onboard with these thoughts above. What a monumental release, and holds up amazingly well to this day.

EnchantED

Postby EnchantED » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:28 am

I will never forget the moment I first listened to I&W. I was totally blown away. Especially listening to Metropolis pt I for the first time. Best feeling in the world :)

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:07 am

On my website I wrote that I & W is my favorite album of the 90s...
The technical passage in Metropolis Part I is one of the best ever of that kind...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:22 am

I agree with you all I&W is pure magic!

Funny, I've been on a DT kick lately. Watched pretty much the entire video catalog, and listened to most of the studio recordings over the past few weeks (the Astonishing still mostly sucks btw :P)

The first thing I ever heard by DT was the Pull Me Under video on MTV. I was floored. I thought the entire record can't possible live up to that? It did, and then some to say the least. Easily a desert island record for me.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

elendil

Postby elendil » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:03 am

GaetanL wrote:The technical passage in Metropolis Part I is one of the best ever of that kind...

Endorse.

It took me a while to get into DT, actually. A roommate had I&W and Awake, and I was "meh" on them because I disliked keyboards. Had to get my ear attuned to the sound.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:56 pm

It took me a while to get into DT, actually. A roommate had I&W and Awake, and I was "meh" on them because I disliked keyboards.

***Ouch -- that hurts .......... :wink:

NP: Shadow Gallery / Tyranny - because of the keyboards...... :wink: ( desert island disc - matter of fact, make it the only disc I'd bring on an island )

elendil

Postby elendil » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:12 am

I'm into keys now! But I was... 18 then and my tastes were evolving. Still are, but more slowly. :)

MJ Brady

Postby MJ Brady » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:42 pm

All those years ago, a friend of mine recorded a cassette tape of that IAW for me, As well as some Change of Seasons.
I was/is a big jazz/fusion/progressive rock fan and never really liked Metal, so after hearing a few songs, I was very underwhelmed, so back into the glove box that tape went.
He asked me what I thought of them, and was very surprised by my comments seeing that I am a guitar player. I didn't have the heart to mention I only made through a few songs, cringing at every moment the singer opened his mouth. I didn't even have a single memory of the guitarist, drummer or any band members, as I couldn't get past the Metal vibe. :twisted:

Finally, a few months later, while driving home, I grabbed a tape randomly, put it in the deck, and was hearing some great instrumental passages, I wasn't familiar with the music, and couldn't figure out who it was.
I kept listening to it, and it finally occurred to me that it was Dream Theater. By then I think Awake had been released, I bought their previous recordings, and have followed the band since then.
I like most everything by them, having a quirky music background has something to do with that.
My least favorite things by them are their foray's into metal.
MJ

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:06 pm

I heard Pull Me Under on the radio and thought WTF is this? Do I actually like something being played on the radio in the 90's? Amazing disk. I'm pretty sure it was the first prog metal disk that I listened to that I knew was called prog metal. Sure I had listened to FW & QR, but I didn't know they were called prog metal at the time.
Güy

Return to “PM: Core”