Deathrow - Deception Ignored ... 2018 remaster

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

introclaus

Deathrow - Deception Ignored ... 2018 remaster

Postby introclaus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:53 pm

Apparently this one will be out next week. Anyone else as excited about this as I am? This is one of the classics of prog Metal / technical thrash.
Claus Jensen

elendil

Re: Deathrow - Deception Ignored ... 2018 remaster

Postby elendil » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:12 pm

Great, underrated album. I'll probably stream it to see what it sounds like, but I don't usually shell out for mere remasters. We'll see!

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:40 am

Picked up the album on iTunes last night and been listening since then (sometimes I listen to music while sleeping). The sound is perfect - sure, this was a second or third tier thrash metal band on a small label in 1988, so the budget wasn’t as big as say a Metallica, but the album had a fairly decent sound and with the new remastering it actually sounds very very good. It obviously has that 30 year old thrash sound but with a clean modern touch on top. While listening I realized how much I’ve missed listening to this album over the years - it’s been at least 10 years since I last played the vinyl so there’s of course some “reunion with a long lost friend” emotions at play here. Now, I know I’ve mentioned this was a thrash metal band, but for those who don’t know the band, this album here (deception ignored) was a complete change in styles as this is technical prog Metal somewhere along the lines of watchtower, sieges even, psychotic waltz, Mekong delta. This is a wonderful album and I can’t recommend this remaster enough.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:19 am

No comments from anyone?
I would have thought that on a board of old assholes like me and y’all (LOL) that a 30 year old classic like this would have everyone come out of the woodworks... guess not! :)
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:23 am

introclaus wrote:No comments from anyone?
I would have thought that on a board of old assholes like me and y’all (LOL) that a 30 year old classic like this would have everyone come out of the woodworks... guess not! :)

**** You know me -- old, yes. Thrash, no. :(

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:40 am

LarryD wrote:
introclaus wrote:No comments from anyone?

**** You know me -- old, yes. Thrash, no. :(

It’s not as thrash’y as Metallica or Megadeth or anything like that. More along the ways of watchtower or old sieges even.
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:45 am

Never heard this album... I played it a couple of minutes on youtube... Maybe I didn't spend enough time on it... I take note of it in my notepad file about albums / bands to investigate. You are the person who turned me into Voïvod with your comments on Nothingface. Also in 1988 like this Deathrow album, Voïvod Dimension Hatross is my favorite Voïvod album... I should revisit this Deathrow album... Is the album after also prog or this is their only one flirting with that style?
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:50 am

GaetanL wrote:Never heard this album... I played it a couple of minutes on youtube... Maybe I didn't spend enough time on it... I take note of it in my notepad file about albums / bands to investigate. You are the person who turned me into Voïvod with your comments on Nothingface. Also in 1988 like this Deathrow album, Voïvod Dimension Hatross is my favorite Voïvod album... I should revisit this Deathrow album... Is the album after also prog or this is their only one flirting with that style?

Thanks for checking it out (and I’m thrilled to hear that I got someone turned onto Voivod - Nothingface is still the best metal album ever recorded).

The album after was a huge let down in my opinion - it has some minor prog leanings but it just seemed “bland”. To be honest, I don’t even have it in my collection anymore. The first two albums were pretty good thrash (Teutonic style) discs but somewhat second/third tier. “Deception Ignored” for sure was an anomaly in their discography.
Claus Jensen

elendil

Postby elendil » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:23 am

I'm going to disagree a little bit. Deception Ignored is my favorite Deathrow album, but I also believe Life Beyond (the next one) is worthy. It's still proggy, though less chaotic and more straightforward. For fans of stuff like Mekong Delta, both albums are absolutely worth checking out. _LB_ might actually be the easier introduction to the band, as it has more familiar themes & structures.

Still haven't gotten to the _DI_ remaster. On the Amazon Music queue...

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:15 pm

I knew the band name was ringing a bell... I have a review of End Amen - "Your Last Orison" on my web site. This band consisted of Psychotic Waltz and Deathrow members. I am a huge fan of Psychotic Waltz. Currently playing the full album "Deception Ignored"... This time from start to finish...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:27 pm

GaetanL wrote:I knew the band name was ringing a bell... I have a review of End Amen - "Your Last Orison" on my web site. This band consisted of Psychotic Waltz and Deathrow members. I am a huge fan of Psychotic Waltz. Currently playing the full album "Deception Ignored"... This time from start to finish...

Yes, End Amen was a project of Norm and Dan from PW alongside Uwe from deathrow. Id say that approximately half of the album was amazing while the other half was pretty bad lol. Some great ideas but not earth shattering considering the talent involved.

Psychotic Waltz were amazing back then - I saw them multiple times on those amazing 4 albums (when they toured Europe fairly regularly). Funny fact is that I really disliked Mosquito for a lot of years but one day it clicked and since then I’ve counted it just a good as the other 3.
Claus Jensen

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:32 am

GaetanL wrote:I knew the band name was ringing a bell... I have a review of End Amen - "Your Last Orison" on my web site. This band consisted of Psychotic Waltz and Deathrow members. I am a huge fan of Psychotic Waltz. Currently playing the full album "Deception Ignored"... This time from start to finish...

Same here. I didn't know this band, but felt I heard of them.

Claus I'm not much on old thrash, but do like some. Didn't think this would interest me, but reading all the comments I'll give it a spin.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

elendil

Postby elendil » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:06 am

introclaus wrote:Psychotic Waltz were amazing back then - I saw them multiple times on those amazing 4 albums (when they toured Europe fairly regularly). Funny fact is that I really disliked Mosquito for a lot of years but one day it clicked and since then I’ve counted it just a good as the other 3.

Heh... Same here. _Mosquito_ remains the only PW album I don't have on CD, but I streamed it a few months ago and thought "this actually isn't bad at all." Still a bigger fan of their longer, less groove-oriented songs from the first 2.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:53 am

elendil wrote:
introclaus wrote:Psychotic Waltz were amazing back then - I saw them multiple times on those amazing 4 albums (when they toured Europe fairly regularly). Funny fact is that I really disliked Mosquito for a lot of years but one day it clicked and since then I’ve counted it just a good as the other 3.

Heh... Same here. _Mosquito_ remains the only PW album I don't have on CD, but I streamed it a few months ago and thought "this actually isn't bad at all." Still a bigger fan of their longer, less groove-oriented songs from the first 2.

I feel like Mosquito was a precursor for Buddy’s solo album (which I actually love even more than Mosquito), and that on Bleeding they managed to combine the prog psychedelica from the first two albums with the groove from Mosquito. Either way, all 4 + Buddy’s solo disc were incredible and some of the most unique prog Metal ever done.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:54 am

ToddS wrote:

Claus I'm not much on old thrash, but do like some. Didn't think this would interest me, but reading all the comments I'll give it a spin.

Give it a shot and let me know what you think :)))
Claus Jensen

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:32 pm

introclaus wrote:
ToddS wrote:

Give it a shot and let me know what you think :)))

Damn, really appreciating the technical aspects of this. Thrash vocalist just aren't my thing in general, but they aren't too distracting here. I gave it spin while working out. It fit the mood pretty well. ;)
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Return to “PM: Core”