New Stryper - WOW! ...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

New Stryper - WOW! ...

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:58 pm

Expected the same old same old. Guess not. Should have known by the album title :shock: . Take a listen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWvdLnP8m3I

How about that chorus?

Sir Exar Kun

Re: New Stryper - WOW! ...

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:43 pm

I think I'd prefer same old / same old. Not loving the chorus AT ALL.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

sez

Postby sez » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:I think I'd prefer same old / same old. Not loving the chorus AT ALL.

Reminds me of the first time I heard Helloween's "Push." I didn't like it at first, but eventually it grew on me. I think this happens when you transition from the one being screamed at, to understanding why the screaming is happening, to identifying with the screamer, and then finally screaming along with it.

Nos

Postby Nos » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:57 pm

It's a complete pile of trash.

Michael Sweet can't seem to get over the fact that people don't equate Stryper with heaviness, and in his mid-life crisis, is trying pathetically to make himself something he never was. When you brag about only spending at most two weeks writing each of the two or three albums he's been putting out every year, this is the sort of dreck you wind up putting out.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:41 pm

Never listened to Stryper before, but I had to check this one out based on the dragging it's getting everywhere. It's alternately generic and really cringey. I will continue my streak of paying no attention to this band.

elendil

Postby elendil » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:55 pm

All for bands trying new things, but I clearly don't get this.

The one Stryper album I like as a guilty pleasure now and then is To Hell with the Devil. Some sweet, silky melodies there. Like a poppier, sappier Crimson Glory.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:45 pm

I was not really feeling this but I will give the eventual finished album a chance. The last two albums were all-around their best albums, IMO.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:54 am

That chorus is like running full speed head first into a brick wall and just as enjoyable
Tarja is a female woman

sez

Postby sez » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:31 am

From Michael Sweet (via Facebook):

Folks, we were asked (by many fans mind you) to do something a little heavier and that bordered on "thrash".

We did just that. We also did it for ourselves, after all this is our art. Many people love it, some hate it. Obviously those who love it like heavy and those who don't, don't.

We wouldn't change a thing with this song, not even the chorus. The chorus is probably the coolest part of the song whether you agree or not. It's the part of the song that made us all stand up in the studio and say "yeah!" We're stretching out a little and trying something different. If Megadeth or Priest released this song it would probably be huge. Because it's Stryper and everyone expects us to sing like angels in every chorus it's got people talking. Talk is good and, we don't sound like angels on this one

If you don't like it there's plenty more on GDE that you will like, guaranteed. If you do like it, there's more "heavy" as well.

We do what we do to make people talk, think, discuss and debate. We don't do it just to shock people. There's a method to our madness and I'm hoping that most of you understand that and "get it".

Thank you guys for the amazing support on this song and if you hang tight for a few more weeks, we're gonna release something that will make you say "Whoa"

God Bless you all and remember to "Take It To The Cross"

Sounds like they were responding to/implementing fan requests.

Nos

Postby Nos » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:44 am

sez wrote:Sounds like they were responding to/implementing fan requests.

Sweet has really lost the plot, and has started talking out of his ass.

It's "art", but he did it because the fans told him to.....

He's starting to go down the Portnoy route, where he's incapable of accepting that people don't love everything he does. I wasn't exactly thrilled for a new Stryper album anyway, but his attitude has made it even harder for the music to win me over.

ToddinMN

Postby ToddinMN » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:15 pm

I haven't listened to Stryper since the mid 80's so I didn't know what to expect. Seems I'm in the very small minority, but I actually like this song. Even the chorus grew on me.

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:17 pm

I haven't listened to Stryper since the mid 80's so I didn't know what to expect. Seems I'm in the very small minority, but I actually like this song. Even the chorus grew on me.

Pretty much the same for me. I quickly scanned something released a few years back, but nothing new caught my ear. This song sounded a little different and heavier and I like it a lot. However, I'm afraid the rest of it might sound like the same old, same old. I'm definitely going to check it out though.

sez

Postby sez » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:45 pm

I've been listening to their new stuff. Here's a brief summary of the modern releases:

1. Reborn (2005). Generic, low quality, mostly forgettable rock. No solos to speak of. Clearly pandering to "modern" listeners. Recommended skip.

2. Murder by Pride (2009). A few steps up from Reborn. Solos are back, but still pandering to modern sounds (for example, one track--"I Believe"--heavily borrows from Creed). One highlight is their cover of Boston's Peace of Mind, on which Tom Scholz plays. Michael Sweet was in Boston at this time, but left shortly afterward, if I remember correctly. Can be found on YouTube; recommend listening there first if you have any interest.

3. No More Hell to Pay (2013). This is the best of their new releases. They're essentially back to where they left off, and this is a worthy successor to Against the Law. They're back to being a metal band. This also begins their focus on becoming heavier. Melodies are guitar-driven, there's lots of guitar harmonies present, and you'll even hear double-bass drums.

4. Fallen (2015). Continues from where the last one left off. Slightly heaver; more "rough" singing from Sweet; still guitar driven. Contains a cover of Black Sabbath's After Forever, which is decent. Recommended if you like NMHTP.

In between those albums they did The Covering--an album full of covers--and Second Coming--re-recorded past tracks done apparently to regain the rights to their earlier stuff for licensing purposes.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:44 pm

sez wrote:I've been listening to their new stuff. Here's a brief summary of the modern releases:

1. Reborn (2005). Generic, low quality, mostly forgettable rock. No solos to speak of. Clearly pandering to "modern" listeners. Recommended skip.

2. Murder by Pride (2009). A few steps up from Reborn. Solos are back, but still pandering to modern sounds (for example, one track--"I Believe"--heavily borrows from Creed). One highlight is their cover of Boston's Peace of Mind, on which Tom Scholz plays. Michael Sweet was in Boston at this time, but left shortly afterward, if I remember correctly. Can be found on YouTube; recommend listening there first if you have any interest.

3. No More Hell to Pay (2013). This is the best of their new releases. They're essentially back to where they left off, and this is a worthy successor to Against the Law. They're back to being a metal band. This also begins their focus on becoming heavier. Melodies are guitar-driven, there's lots of guitar harmonies present, and you'll even hear double-bass drums.

4. Fallen (2015). Continues from where the last one left off. Slightly heaver; more "rough" singing from Sweet; still guitar driven. Contains a cover of Black Sabbath's After Forever, which is decent. Recommended if you like NMHTP.

In between those albums they did The Covering--an album full of covers--and Second Coming--re-recorded past tracks done apparently to regain the rights to their earlier stuff for licensing purposes.

I was not a fan of Stryper in the 80s. In fact, I laughed at them because of their look and the Jesus thing. But the The Covering album, which had some of their heaviest songs redone with a modern production made me a fan. No More Hell To Pay and Fallen are 2 excellent albums IMO. I'm glad they now focus on their "heavy" side.

That being said, I'm looking forward to the new one, but the chorus of the 1st single still makes me cringe and kinda ruins the song...

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Guillaume wrote:
sez wrote:I've been listening to their new stuff. Here's a brief summary of the modern releases:

I was not a fan of Stryper in the 80s. In fact, I laughed at them because of their look and the Jesus thing. But the Second Coming album, which had some of their heaviest songs redone with a modern production made me a fan. No More Hell To Pay and Fallen are 2 excellent albums IMO. I'm glad they now focus on their "heavy" side.

The Covering (cover album) was nice too.

That being said, I'm looking forward to the new one, but the chorus of the 1st single still makes me cringe and kinda ruins the song...

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:19 pm

I was not a fan of Stryper in the 80s. In fact, I laughed at them because of their look and the Jesus thing. But the The Covering album, which had some of their heaviest songs redone with a modern production made me a fan. No More Hell To Pay and Fallen are 2 excellent albums IMO. I'm glad they now focus on their "heavy" side.

This.

I went to see them live a couple years ago as a friend of mine said they were a great live band..... So I thought I'd take the time to check them out. They were fantastic live (Michael Sweet is not only a great vocalist, but a pretty impressive guitarist and frontman to boot), and I picked up "Fallen" that night. Since then, I've also gotten Sweet's most recent solo album, and both Sweet/Lynch CDs and he is rock solid on all of them.

But as you said..... This chorus..... I know they're trying something different, but like chocolate covered shrimp different doesn't always work.

I'm still excited to hear the rest of the disc.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Return to “PM: Core”