Top 50 of 2017

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Harvester

Top 50 of 2017

Postby Harvester » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:05 am

My annual Top 50 is now available for your reading pleasure on the long forgotten forum. I look forward to your normal feedback of "WTF?," "this list sucks," "who?", and "seriously?"

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/thre ... 7.1213461/

cheers,

Glenn

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Top 50 of 2017

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:56 am

As always, great list and leaves me plenty of things I've never heard of to check out.

In short, I agree 100% with your number one, as that gets my vote hands-down also.

Kudos, sir.....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

devomeister

Postby devomeister » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:22 am

Totally agreed on Caligula's horse. What started as a bit of a disappointment for me, will end up In my top 3 this year (admittedly, my list doens't run 50 deep)

Glad to see Mother of Millions on the list. This one is also top 3 for me, as I like it dark and serious (this album reminds me a lot of that last Distorted Harmony album). Their first album 'Human" is also pretty amazing.

Lockstep with you on Soen, as well. This is the first album of theirs that's clicked with me.

I don't like the new Leprous as much as the last album, but it's damn good.

You've got me looking into The Contortionist, as I remember being turned off by the barking vocals on past albums.

Thanks for posting!
Check out my professional portfolio:
https://chris_devo.artstation.com/

Check out my art blog:
http://chrisdevosartblog.blogspot.com/

Nos

Postby Nos » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 am

We have more overlap this year than most.

The Dark Element, Soen, Orden Ogan, and Nocturnal Rites are all going to feature on my list (posting Sunday, I think), but in different orders. They're all great records.

The one thing I would say is that this time around, Soen has become less Tool, and far more Opeth. I think that's the biggest difference in why this album is so much more memorable than the first two.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:12 pm

A LOT of overlap
Didn't pick up the Widek yet but seeing as how much I loved everything be has done it will probably be an automatic in my top list

Anathema has clinched my top spot by a wide margin....and it hit immediately..Endless Ways is the song of the year for me as well.

Dark Element is sitting in cue as I type this...probably gets played within minutes of me clicking the submit button

Thank you for the review of The Contortionist...kinda ignored this one else as I was expecting more of the same as the last one...going to have to go back check it out..

100% agree with you on Kreator....it's my go to disk for heavy lifting days at the gym..who needs steroids when you have this..

Voyager is now in the upper upper echelon of actual prog metal with Ghost Mile..it's going to end up on the 2nd tier with Persefone-Aathma behind Anathema for me..

Killer list
Tarja is a female woman

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Always enjoy your list. Already found a new one of interest to me. Checking out Vanish - The Insanity Abstract and it rips!

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:Always enjoy your list. Already found a new one of interest to me. Checking out Vanish - The Insanity Abstract and it rips!

*** Guillaume and I posted on this when it,came,out.......nobody bit.......glad to,see its starting to get some attention...... Top 10 for me........

T'ski

Postby T'ski » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Grateful you take the time to make this list, look forward to it every year.

two bands I am now more curious about....Cyhra and The Contortionist.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Love reading your list bro! We have a fair amount of winners in common. Also lots I haven't heard. Gotta check those out. Will follow up as I can.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:32 pm

*** Guillaume and I posted on this when it,came,out.......nobody bit.......glad to,see its starting to get some attention...... Top 10 for me........

Larry - you didn't put Tomorrow's Eve as a comparison or I wouldn't have missed it. :P

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:37 pm

Quick thoughts

The Galneryus singer has a bit of an accent...

If Id not watched the video but instead just listened I'd have sworn Vanish was Brainstorm/Symphorce. Thats good in most cases. I just ordered.

I had heard a Damnations Day tune before this one and it kinda annoyed me with the vocal screach. This one is far better and a likely buy now.

I lost track of Caligulas Horse after Tide, which may have been my favorite that year. This sounds pretty damn good. Will purchase.

Need is my favorite this year, love everything about it.

My own yearly recap will absolutely suck compared to this, but I'll have a lot of unheralded, aor bands that could have crossover appeal here.

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:32 am

Thanks for posting this Glenn. I look forward to this every year. I've already made a few passes though it. I've heard a lot of them but as always there are some new ones that sound interesting that I'll be checking out.
Güy

TROY or maybe DEBBIE

Postby TROY or maybe DEBBIE » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:59 pm

50.- Jono-Life: Singer is mesmerizingly fabulous!
41.-Seven Spires-Solvig: ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶C̶a̶b̶a̶r̶e̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶D̶r̶e̶a̶m̶s̶ ̶Adrienne Cowan is mesmerizing and Cabaret of Dreams is a Tour de Force for her; She is a Superstar! Her/their youtube covers are great too! The Dimmu Borgir one, wow! Really, check them out. Also, there is a joke about Kamelot and a singer with balls to be made, but I won't do it...
40.-Leprous-Malina: They still interest me, which is high praise as far as I'm concerned.Hooks?
38.-Ne Obliviscarious-Urn: What they do, they do so well that I cannot look away. Intra Venus is a great choice too.
37.-Nova Collective-The Further Side: I forget, do you not like instrumentals, or just do not book them? Woodenheadesque.
35.-Vicious Head Society-Abject Tomorrow: Under my radar for sure. I couldn't listen to this often, but it certainly is mood music.
31.-Diablo Swing Orchestra-Pacifticuffs: You know I LOVE it! Do I miss Anne still? Yes, but less than I expected.
28.-Mother of Millions-Sigma: Note to self- further studied Needed.
27.- Sons of Apollo-Psychotic Symphony: It could never meet expectations, but it is interesting.
23.- Inglorious-II: Groovy as fuck!

I think I'm doing pretty good so far!
You guys are like reverse sirens...

Return to “PM: Core”