Haken Fall 2017 US Tour Dates

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Sir Exar Kun

Haken Fall 2017 US Tour Dates

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Haken is currently releasing a bunch of US dates for a fall 10th anniversary tour..... I am BEYOND excited to see Columbus has a show on Aug 29!

Looks like lots of shows still being added, as I saw Detroit and Cleveland announced this morning.

VERY STOKED for this!!!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

BC

Re: Haken Fall 2017 US Tour Dates

Postby BC » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Columbus is getting some love for a change? Nice! 8)
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Columbus is very doable for me except I don't like Haken. Dammit. I still may go, though.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:31 pm

You guys should really give Sithu Aye some time. He's freakin' great. Sadly, they are passing over my entire fuckin' region...sigh.

I was hoping he'd be in Atlanta for an off day on Haken's day, cause I'd've bought him lunch. But, sadly, nope.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:15 am

So here is my problem...... They are coming to Boston Aug 27th...... Where in the hell is the Brighton Music Hall ??? I'll find it......but the real issue is that they play Visions the following week at PP and I'm psyched up for that....... Don't want to spoil the surprise if u know what I mean........

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:08 am

So here is my problem...... They are coming to Boston Aug 27th...... Where in the hell is the Brighton Music Hall ??? I'll find it......but the real issue is that they play Visions the following week at PP and I'm psyched up for that....... Don't want to spoil the surprise if u know what I mean........

If those are your problems, you're doing all right! Any chance to see Haken twice in one week is something to jump on.....

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:18 pm

True......as that would never happen to me here with any band........ I was saving Visions for Prog Power as that is a special show for me........ Todd says they are not doing the Visions thing on that part of the tour, so it looks like Haken twice in a weeks for me !!-!!!!-

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Todd says they are not doing the Visions thing on that part of the tour, so it looks like Haken twice in a weeks for me !!-!!!!-

Yeah, that part doesn't surprise me too much. I'd expect a pretty different set list for the rest of the tour. Give me a nice dose of a little of each album, and I'll be a happy camper. Only MUST SEE is "The Architect".

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:45 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

If those are your problems, you're doing all right! Any chance to see Haken twice in one week is something to jump on.....

Damn straight dude! lol
I wouldn't miss it either way. They played here the Monday after PP last year, and it was an amazing show. I can't get enough Haken right now.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:39 pm

LarryD wrote:So here is my problem...... They are coming to Boston Aug 27th...... Where in the hell is the Brighton Music Hall ???

That isn't a bad question, actually, according to some people who live nearby there and hate the place. Parking is apparently close to nonexistent.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:41 am

Great show last night in Columbus! Not sure how many people were there, but I'd guess 250-300 tops. However, they were ALL passionate fans. I was amazed and impressed at how many "younger" fans were there, and knew every word.....

Sithu Aye was an amazing opener; I had not sampled any of his stuff beforehand, but despite being a "solo" artist his band was incredibly tight and intricate. Much more on the side of a Joseph Magazine type instrumental prog, rather than a traditional solo guitarist.

Haken was.... Well, HAKEN. As usual, an astoundingly tight performance across the board. Great set list, with only one song I STILL do not care for (Red Giant). The Aquarius medley was godly, and hopefully at some point can make it to a live release. The biggest crowd pop probably came for Cockroach King, which surprised me for some reason.... I knew they would play it, but didn't know it was the big "fan favorite". Architect remains my highlight moment for the show, much as at PP, as that song is one of my favorite prog tunes of the last 10 years, EASY. And closing with Visions..... What more to say?

Those of you seeing them in a week in Atlanta..... As always.... ENJOY!!! I still cannot believe they played here..... So glad to see as many people there as there were!

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:01 am

It's good to hear reports of Sithu Aye being good live. The dude's incredibly skilled and talented. I wish I could see him on this tour.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:28 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Great show last night in Columbus! Not sure how many people were there, but I'd guess 250-300 tops. However, they were ALL passionate fans. I was amazed and impressed at how many "younger" fans were there, and knew every word.....

Sithu Aye was an amazing opener; I had not sampled any of his stuff beforehand, but despite being a "solo" artist his band was incredibly tight and intricate. Much more on the side of a Joseph Magazine type instrumental prog, rather than a traditional solo guitarist.

Haken was.... Well, HAKEN. As usual, an astoundingly tight performance across the board. Great set list, with only one song I STILL do not care for (Red Giant). The Aquarius medley was godly, and hopefully at some point can make it to a live release. The biggest crowd pop probably came for Cockroach King, which surprised me for some reason.... I knew they would play it, but didn't know it was the big "fan favorite". Architect remains my highlight moment for the show, much as at PP, as that song is one of my favorite prog tunes of the last 10 years, EASY. And closing with Visions..... What more to say?

Those of you seeing them in a week in Atlanta..... As always.... ENJOY!!! I still cannot believe they played here..... So glad to see as many people there as there were!

Thanks for the report dude. They are a special band. Can't wait to see them again next week. Will be the fourth time. I hope they have some time to do a bit from Aquarius as well. Medley sounds cool.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

MJ Brady

Postby MJ Brady » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:23 pm

A little late to the thread here, I saw this gig here in St. Paul MN, and the line up was a local thrash metal band, something Armada, not the best band for this gig, second was GracePoint from St. Paul! very good band, I recall they were getting some press here and elsewhere in the prog circles, anyway, two great guitarists, VG drummer and bassist, and the singer was really spot on, they were playing mostly their most recent music.

Sithu Aye, well Sithu writes and plays guitar, but his band is great, the second guitarist Liam McLaughlin is his equal, all Scots all great musicians.

Mammoth, I have heard a lot of mp3's of this band, but they were far better live than I ever expected, three piece, incredible chemistry, Wes Thrailkill is a great hybrid guitarist, best of the show perhaps!!?? you decide.. we did. His band was incredible, on Bass - Yasutaka Nomura who is also a great guitarist, was a very complimentary player getting equal time as a featured soloist. The drummers name escapes me, I don't believe he was the same person that plays on the last Mammoth cd. He was a very small, unassuming asian guy, but had the chops that kill. This is a great band, hope y'all get to see them.
Haken, they were in excellent form, playing a very long set, mostly from the newest cd, and then picking from their past cds with songs that would compliment the live show, loved them, the singer really brings it, I was not sure how his unique voice would carry over the band's busy playing, but it was great.
MJ

Return to “PM: Core”