Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Esanssi

Re: Glynn Morgan returns to THRESHOLD!

Postby Esanssi » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:50 am

Stevie WOnder wrote:
Esanssi wrote:
Stevie WOnder wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I know. I *LOVE* Under the Sun and Innocent but somehow can't get into whole album. Mac-era works better for me :?

To each his own. I loved Mac on his first few albums but Clone is where it's at for me. The last few with him and Damian were way too chorus happy for me.

I know I'm in the minority though. :o

Certainly (to each his own) :)

They got more epic with Critical Mass and especially Subsurface (which is also one of my favorites from them). Also, Mac got better with each album although he had a lot of problems with alcohol (or so I've heard and read).

Dead Reckoning is IMHO less epic but still cathy; Slipstream, This Is Your Life, Hollow, One Degree Down are all excellent songs and Mac sounds great.
The long road is a rainbow and the pot of gold lies there. So slip the chain and I'm off again ---
You'll find me everywhere. I'm a Rover.
- Jethro Tull - Rover

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:56 pm

Dead Reckoning, Psyche and Journey arrived today! Five more on the way. I'll have a lot to listen to while moving and unpacking next week.

elendil

Postby elendil » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:28 pm

Mac was always my favorite Threshold vocalist, but I admit to being a little stoked at this news. Morgan was very good on Psychedelicatessen, although it is far from my favorite Threshold album.

batmura

Postby batmura » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:11 am

Can anyone tell me what Damian posted on FB that might have caused him to get fired?
Sea of Tranquility - The Web Destination for Progressive Music!

Esanssi

Postby Esanssi » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:35 am

batmura wrote:Can anyone tell me what Damian posted on FB that might have caused him to get fired?

Assumptions is all we have. I interviewed Richard West a few years ago in Estonia. He confirmed the rumour that Glynn Morgan did ask for an audition when Mac left Threshold in 2007. By coincidence and just few weeks before Mac left, Damian Wilson and Richard had had a conversation where Damian said that he actually missed singing in Threshold. Damian had also had been in stronger contact with the band than Glynn after he left, so according to West, they didn't consider bringing Glynn back to band at that point. Damian was the only option to replace Mac. Also, Richard said that they didn't even want to find a "new" singer since they felt that Threshold fans have certain expectations and they want to keep their fanbase happy. The point is that Glynn Morgan could have replaced Mac back in 2007 if the stars would have been aligned differently at that point.

I also met Damian in Estonia. We didn't talk much, but he seemed to be very open person. We know that he likes to hang out with the fans and obviously he also likes to party which might have had something to do with the band firing him. Then again, why let him do the vocals for the new album and then fire him? Maybe West and Groom weren't happy with his performance and decided to bring Glynn back. Tough decision but then again West had worked with Glynn in League of Lights and knows that Glynn is still as good as he was back in 1994.

I guess we'll know more when the dust settles a bit.
The long road is a rainbow and the pot of gold lies there. So slip the chain and I'm off again ---

- Jethro Tull - Rover

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:04 pm

Esanssi wrote:Then again, why let him do the vocals for the new album and then fire him? Maybe West and Groom weren't happy with his performance and decided to bring Glynn back. Tough decision but then again West had worked with Glynn in League of Lights and knows that Glynn is still as good as he was back in 1994.

I guess we'll know more when the dust settles a bit.

Damian also clarified in one of his follow-up statements that he is excited to hear Glynn singing the material because Glynn's voice has a "gravel" that he knows he doesn't have himself. Why would he say that if at least someone, if maybe not himself, thinks Damian was not the right fit for this album or that Glynn would be better?

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:39 pm

While DW is one of my favorite vocalist, perhaps Glynn will help Threshold find their balls again. Seriously hope they go heavier.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:38 am

ToddS wrote:While DW is one of my favorite vocalist, perhaps Glynn will help Threshold find their balls again. Seriously hope they go heavier.

+1
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Esanssi

Postby Esanssi » Thu May 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Legends of the Shires going to be a DOUBLE album. And Glynn Morgan on second guitar... very interesting.

From their FB page:

THRESHOLD have released the first official picture of their new line-up featuring returning vocalist Glynn Morgan.

The band are currently at Thin Ice Studios in England putting the finishing touches on their new concept album »Legends Of The Shires«. The record is due for release through Nuclear Blast later this year and it will be the band's first ever double album.

Karl Groom commented: "The music just would not stop flowing during the writing process. We decided that while the ideas were of a high standard, we would keep writing and are very excited by what we have."

THRESHOLD will be back on the road across Europe at the end of the year, kicking off in Athens on November 12th and rounding off with a homecoming show in London on December 10th. Glynn Morgan will also play guitar during the shows, which will include tracks from »Legends Of The Shires« as well as plenty of blasts from the past!

Visit http://www.thresh.net/tour for Threshold tour dates.

- Jethro Tull - Rover

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:53 pm

It only says Glynn is the rhythm guitarist live. But I feel he will do that in studio too.

If he does, at least they keep the double-guitar attack that is essential to Threshold. And also, knowing Morgan, the material will acquire the requisite grit and intensity to back up his voice.

I am actually quite curious to hear what will become of this turn of events. It still has a shot at ranking very high in my AOTY.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:17 am

Double album!

This 10-minute track sure is nice, if not ground-breaking:

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-07-14/watch-thresholds-epic-lost-in-translation-video
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

Nos

Postby Nos » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:21 am

That new song is fine, and Glynn sounds good, but Threshold has really become bland lately. It's not just that they're playing the same sound, but the songs themselves are interchangeable. I can't get excited when I can hardly tell one song from the next.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:53 am

Nos wrote:That new song is fine, and Glynn sounds good, but Threshold has really become bland lately. It's not just that they're playing the same sound, but the songs themselves are interchangeable. I can't get excited when I can hardly tell one song from the next.

I don't disagree. You'd think the band would realize this and make adjustments. Or maybe they just think 'this is what we sound like', and that's that.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Its a nice song, and I like it, but yea nothing new. I do wish they would at least channel their heavier side.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:10 pm

ToddS wrote:Its a nice song, and I like it, but yea nothing new. I do wish they would at least channel their heavier side.

+ 1.

Glynn Morgan does sound great though - so that is a plus. I'm hoping that the whole thing in concept is excellent and that this song is not indicative of it all ..... not a bad song at all - by any means - just hoping for a little more ............

ElegyFan

Postby ElegyFan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:34 pm

Looking forward to it - I like his Mindfeed stuff too. I think that was the name of the band.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:48 pm

Sparky wrote:
Nos wrote:That new song is fine, and Glynn sounds good, but Threshold has really become bland lately. It's not just that they're playing the same sound, but the songs themselves are interchangeable. I can't get excited when I can hardly tell one song from the next.

I don't disagree. You'd think the band would realize this and make adjustments. Or maybe they just think 'this is what we sound like', and that's that.

The status quo for Threshold is still really good music. The "realize this and make adjustments" issue I have with the song is that it basically doesn't showcase Glynn's originality and other strengths at all. The album was evidently designed for Damian instead and the only real glimpses of Glynn are the last two lines and some of the slightly scowlier vocals at the end of each first part of the verses. People who've heard the whole disc say that Glynn rips it up on other songs so I will have to reserve judgment until I hear those.

Esanssi

Postby Esanssi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:17 am

New single is out! From their FB:

Threshold's new epic 10 minute single 'Lost In Translation'.

Available now on iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/lost-in-translation-ep/id1258556678

Watch the lyric video exclusively on Prog:
http://teamrock.com/news/2017-07-14/watch-thresholds-epic-lost-in-translation-video

From the forthcoming album 'Legends Of The Shires' out on 8 September 2017. Pre-order now at:
http://nuclearblast.com/threshold-legends

Straight YouTube link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MT7vFM7U9gU

- Jethro Tull - Rover

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:07 am

The status quo for Threshold is still really good music. The "realize this and make adjustments" issue I have with the song is that it basically doesn't showcase Glynn's originality and other strengths at all. The album was evidently designed for Damian instead and the only real glimpses of Glynn are the last two lines and some of the slightly scowlier vocals at the end of each first part of the verses. People who've heard the whole disc say that Glynn rips it up on other songs so I will have to reserve judgment until I hear those.

***I really hope this is the case ......it does make sense though, and I'm hoping that Glynn is allowed to let loose more. But I have to say this. I played the 10-min track again, and even though I still feel that the song sounds like a leftover from another disc, I started thinking about Threshold in general. This band, along with Vanden Plas, is still on the blind buy list. No questions. But I am in agreement that they do have to change things up just a bit if only because of how long they have been around and how picky some of us can get. (raises hand).

Not only that - our tastes in music are changing, and we dinosaurs are going by the way side. While some of us are still in the Vanden Plas, Threshold camp and waiting around for these aging bands (like we are aging as well), others have gone into the more modern side of things, and are happily in the Djent sound and style of modern prog instead of stuck in that warm / melodic sound of the bands I mention.

I remember when Symphony X started to veer off of their sound and style a bit - and pretty much left me behind for 2 discs ..... I was almost giving up hope at that point and accepting that they had given me many, many discs of enjoyment and I should be happy with what I had ...... then they released Underworld, and me and most of their original fan base were happy again. Now Threshold really didn't veer off of their sound and style at all - and have stayed their course thru their career......but I do feel that the past few disc with Damian on vocals actually re-spiked my worship for the band, and from my point of view they have to live up to those standards to keep me as happy as I am with the band. So I guess what I'm trying to say is - I think they have to up their game just a bit at this point in their career, and I'm hoping that this concept disc (which they laughed at doing back in the past when I suggested it) brings them back into many hearts that may have left them behind for whatever reason .....

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:03 pm

I have been listening to some of the other Threshold albums and it now saddens me a bit that a song like The Rubicon probably won't ever sound the same. If any other Threshold singer can pull that off, it is Glynn (Mac didn't have the range or presence for it), but I still think the immense power and range the song requires might be a bit too much for him.

I'm still hoping for Threshold at PPUSA but I do wonder how much having Glynn will affect their setlist or the quality thereof. We, I suppose, will see in December.

Esanssi

Postby Esanssi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:12 pm

New Threshold song "Small Dark Lines" online!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9NCuOe4zJk&feature=youtu.be

- Jethro Tull - Rover

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:27 pm

Good stuff. That's more like it.

I'll tell ya, Morgan impresses me. To think this band has had THREE amazing singers - it almost boggles the mind.

Nos

Postby Nos » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Like with the first song, my opinion is that this is a Threshold song that sounds like every other Threshold song. I can't imagine sitting through two entire discs of this stuff, even though it's good. Way too much of the same thing.

And that guitar tone is horrible. There's so much gain the muted notes in the verses sound like they aren't being muted at all. It's so fizzy and weak.

Esanssi

Postby Esanssi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:12 am

Third track "Stars and Satellites" out! I think this one is showing much more the progressive side of Threshold. My favorite out of the three tracks that has been released so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMbnECa3CJ4

- Jethro Tull - Rover

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:53 pm

I listened to the whole thing this morning at work (not the ideal situation, I know). *Most* of the bands I dig I need multiple listens under my belt in order to make an accurate assessment. The one band I don't need multiple spins for is Threshold; they simply have their sound and they can throw a cool little keyboard bits in here and there, but they are who they are - the core sound/writing style is what it is. This disc(s) is good. I dig Morgan - he's really good. As is everything else. Still...

ToddinMN

Postby ToddinMN » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:16 am

I loved Threshold's first three albums. Wilson's voice was so unique, powerful and brooding on "Wounded Land" and "Extinct Instinct". And Morgan was so gritty/aggressive/awesome!! on "Psychedelicatessen". Unfortunately, no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get into Mac's vocals. So I had kinda given up on them quite a while ago.

When it was announced that Wilson was coming back I was super excited! But to my surprise "March of Progress" and "For the Journey" just didn't quite click with me :(

But here we go again. Now they bring back another one of my favorite vocalists. I loved Morgan on "Psychedelicatessen" and I also loved both Mindfeed albums. And I'm glad to say that I'm really liking this version of Threshold. IMO, Morgan is still awesome. He still has that gritty/breathy delivery that I love. I'm still digesting the entire album but so far this is a winner for me.

Return to “PM: Core”