Death of CD's finally?...

Off-topic Discussion for PMers (3 Drink Minimum)

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

Death of CD's finally?...

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:22 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... spartandhp

It's really not shocking Best Buy is pulling it's CD's. Their section has been shrinking for years. I haven't bought anything there for a long time because they're rarely stock anything I want. I don't even bother to check at the store anymore. I do admit I'm old school and I still enjoy buying physical copies of CD's anytime I really like something. Hopefully CD's will continue to be pressed and the price doesn't go way up like vinyl.

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Death of CD's finally?...

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:28 pm

I'm with you..... Amazon and Ken are 99% of my purchases, but I'm not quitting on discs any time soon. It does concern me, though, to see multiple major retailers bowing out.

I get it, I just don't have to LIKE it.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Nos

Postby Nos » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:25 pm

I hope it isn't. I don't buy many CDs, but I do still buy my few favorites every year, and a few from the past I never got around to. I'm not old enough to be old-school, but music feels to ephemeral when it isn't connected to something you can look at and hold. I'm still disappointed that my favorite album of the year so far seems to be digital only. It doesn't feel as real to me if I can't put it on my shelf.

Plus, having recently been through a hard drive crash, I'm well aware of the perils of trusting computers to keep a collection safe.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:16 pm

Every articles I read about CD retailers (with a physical building) stopping selling CD or completely closing, they mention only streaming and digital download as the cause. They seem to forget that many people buy CDs online. Yes it's true that CD sales have declined but CD customers are not retarded like they seem to say. I remember a journalist saying that the physical CD is completely useless which is completely untrue.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:07 am

You all know where I stand on this ..... I'm going down with the CD ship, last man standing and kicking all the way down .......

A few months ago, we all had the "going digital" chats, and ultimately, I failed in the task at hand. I did put a pile of discs aside that I plan on selling soon, but as I went thru the pile, and held these rare, hardly heard and never heard from again discs, I had a tough time putting them in a pile even though I hadn't played any of them for years...... then I thought, who the hell would buy these anyway ? Back onto the shelf they went ....... I will put up my sell list soon, but you all have what I have anyway, and can't be possibly be looking for anything from that past.......

As a compromise - what I do now is this - I buy physical CDs from The Lasers Edge, and I download secondary discs from Amazon on MP3, and then burn them to a disc....it still feels a bit empty doing it that way - but in the case of something like Tarja's Christmas disc ( which is awesome by the way ), I'll only be playing that at X-mas time, so it doesn't make sense to buy the disc. So bands that I know I'm going to keep and play, I buy the discs from TLE .... anything not mind blowing, or maybe instrumentals, I download from Amazon. Lots of these bands don't even put out discs anymore, so it's download only anyway....... I figure I can't run from it, so I can compromise. And to be honest, I'd rather pay $7.99 for an instrumental download, than pay $15 for the actual disc, if you can find it ...... I'd rather put my money into bands like Dream Theater, Ayreon, etc -- bands that I know I will go back to time and time again ......

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:37 pm

LarryD wrote:And to be honest, I'd rather pay $7.99 for an instrumental download, than pay $15 for the actual disc, if you can find it ......

But the value of your download after purchase (this more a rental) is 0... For the CD, it's difficult to say how much but it certainly keep a certain value. After a period of time the value may be even higher than the price you paid for!
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:00 pm

GaetanL wrote:
LarryD wrote:And to be honest, I'd rather pay $7.99 for an instrumental download, than pay $15 for the actual disc, if you can find it ......

But the value of your download after purchase (this more a rental) is 0... For the CD, it's difficult to say how much but it certainly keep a certain value. After a period of time the value may be even higher than the price you paid for!

***Gaetan - I don't look at it that way. Now, I'm speaking about discs like instrumentals that I normally don't listen to on a regular basis. It's strictly a mood thing. Therefore, for $7.99 - I can store it on my computer. Burn it onto a CD-R and take it in the car. Play the music on my phone thru the Amazon app. Have Alexa stream it on my main stereo system. Play it on my computer without having to find the disc. To me, all that is worth $7.99.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:36 pm

LarryD wrote:***Gaetan - I don't look at it that way. Now, I'm speaking about discs like instrumentals that I normally don't listen to on a regular basis. It's strictly a mood thing. Therefore, for $7.99 - I can store it on my computer. Burn it onto a CD-R and take it in the car. Play the music on my phone thru the Amazon app. Have Alexa stream it on my main stereo system. Play it on my computer without having to find the disc. To me, all that is worth $7.99.

I understand your point. You can rip the CD in whatever digital format but it's more time consuming... It's also easier that way with your smart phone and the Amazon app. You made a price comparison so I gave you my price argument... :wink:
Gaétan

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:23 pm

It is kind of sad, but I haven't looked at CDs in a Best Buy in many, many years. So this doesn't really impact me. I still prefer physical CDs if they are available for a reasonable price at Laser's Edge or Amazon. In the past I didn't buy many digital only releases, just waited for a real CD. However, I have been on a Bandcamp buying spree lately. Lots of the albums I've been seeking out lately are not available on CD either at all or for a reasonable price, but I'm starting to like Bandcamp. The only place I listen to physical CDs is in the car. I never burn digital only music I buy to CDR, I just don't listen to those in the car. At work and home I mostly listen to MP3s.
Güy

Chris Roy

Postby Chris Roy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:05 pm

So glad to hear that there are still so many who like to hold a physical product, read lyrics, read thank you lists and look over the art, while listening and absorbing it. For me, the allure was all part of the history and magic of a new album/CD right down to the smell of fresh ink/paper.
With that, it's harder than ever to get physical product to the fan without 10 middle-men making imported or limited-edition, collectable CDs too expensive. With that, I hope you might take a moment to look through our CD Package Pre-Order Campaign which make it more affordable to put together truly unique packages of cool, limited edition, hand-numbered and even signed items. Instead of running a crowdfunding donation campaign, we thought it made more sense for everyone to do a CD Package Pre-Order Campaign through Kickstarter. The challenges were: we wanted it mastered by someone who understands the genre and sound of progressive/power/thrash metal, so Chris "Zuess" Harris (Queensryche, Iced Earth, Sanctuary) came to mind. Ironically, I grew up with the guys in Reading Zero playing a club in Western MA that his band also frequented, so we had quite a few friends in common. We recently upgraded our studio, so that we could do even more of the pre-production and production work ourselves (Something Reading Zero was not quite able to do at the time of Satellite Sessions), so to test it, we wanted to use a song or songs that we already knew could sound better from a production standpoint, was highly unlikely to be done by another band and was an influence on us. We decided on a medley of 2 of our favorite early thrash era songs by a band that is seldom given the respect that it deserved, Flotsam & Jetsam. To do so properly, we want to make sure all of the publishing is paid and properly done, so that our tribute also benefits them. Then of course, there is the layout design and manufacturing costs.
Kickstarter is an ALL OR NOTHING, platform meaning, if we don't hit at least our first tier goal ($4,800), then the money is never collected from those that pledged and the band is given nothing towards their release, BUT if it is funded, it puts the band in a much better position to do it all quickly and correctly. After all of that and some life-long friends I've made from the original Perpetual Motion Board, here is the link to our CD Preorder and I hope I can count on some of you to lend some support and get the word out to others to do the same.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ve ... eorder-pac

Cheers,
Chris Roy (Chris-RZ, "Croy")

PS. You Rule and Thank You!

Return to “PM: Pub”