Persefone - Lingua Ignota Part I

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Mardoch
Site Admin

Persefone - Lingua Ignota Part I

Post by Mardoch » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:54 am

I don't know where these folks get their inspiration, but they've never made a boring song. There are so many cool ideas flying around this EP, man. The grooves are incredible. I'm a little annoyed it's a "Part 1" EP and that it's only 26ish minutes, but damn it's a good ride.

https://persefone.bandcamp.com/album/li ... ota-part-i

introclaus

Re: Persefone - Lingua Ignota Part I

Post by introclaus » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:34 pm

It took me a bunch of listens to get used to the new singer, but he is great, and I think they found a good fit here.

Musically it continues the direction they've been going lately, which is more "modern" extreme prog, and less of their original neoclassical-infused prog-death of their early days. The first two were like Symphony X / Dream Theater in a death metal setting, then they kind of became Cynic meets Obscura in a bit more modern (BtBaM-style) vein, and nowadays they are like if Leprous or Soen were extreme metal. I love all of it, because even if they've evolved, they always have had their own sound, which is awesome.

And, I agree with Mardoch - I'd rather have a full length than two EPs. I hated when BtBaM did it, and I hated when Ihsahn did it ...
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Re: Persefone - Lingua Ignota Part I

Post by introclaus » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:55 pm

introclaus wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:34 pm
It took me a bunch of listens to get used to the new singer, but he is great, and I think they found a good fit here.

Musically it continues the direction they've been going lately, which is more "modern" extreme prog, and less of their original neoclassical-infused prog-death of their early days. The first two were like Symphony X / Dream Theater in a death metal setting, then they kind of became Cynic meets Obscura in a bit more modern (BtBaM-style) vein, and nowadays they are like if Leprous or Soen were extreme metal. I love all of it, because even if they've evolved, they always have had their own sound, which is awesome.

And, I agree with Mardoch - I'd rather have a full length than two EPs. I hated when BtBaM did it, and I hated when Ihsahn did it ...
I've been listening a TON to it lately, and every single time I'm so annoyed that this is just an EP instead of a full lenght. This have so much potential for an AotY candidate, that wasting it on EPs is pure ridiculousness!
Claus Jensen