Metal bands I've checked out recently ......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Metal bands I've checked out recently ......

Post by LarryD » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:57 am

So between Claus, Guillaume, Ken and Glenn - I've re-visited some bands I've loved in the past and didn't keep up with, or just left them behind because of longevity, lack of interest or stubbornness on my part ....here is what I found. This is a perfect example of what these long lists by these guys can do to someone ..... ;o)

SOEN / Memorial -
Because of the peer pressure, I ordered this one. I should love this band no matter what they do - but I'm finding them hit or miss depending on my mood I guess.
I loved Atlantis. I own two others, but not love ...... I have not heard a note of this one - but because you all said it was great, I ordered it. Not to mention that if Guillaume has this one so high on his metal warrior list, it has to be good ......

SARAYASIGN / The Lion's Road -
I knew the singer was great. I've checked out all of the videos, just never got around to checking it out completely. It may be because it is melodic metal, maybe a little too commercial for me, I'm not sure. I played two songs from The Lions Road and ordered it. The singer is just so good ......

NOVERIA / The Gates of the Underworld -
I don't remember anyone talking about their new one .... I didn't know even know there was new one until recently. I love the band, and I loved their last disc...upon reading all of the reviews online, most say it is a forgettable, wall of sound, going nowhere disc ..... I played two songs, and like some here have said, it's a busy form of Symphony X but not as cohesive ..... still, the singer is so bad ass ...... ordered.

VANISH / A Hint of Solace -
Guillaume has been keeping me in the loop on these guys for years ...... we both wonder, how the hell hasn't this band become more known and popular ? I own one of their discs from the past, and it was a bitch to get if I remember. We never see them stocked anywhere, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about them...
Go check out the link from Guillaume's list and come on back .... that singer is totally sick, and sounds like a cross between Zak Stevens and Andy Engberg.....however, he seems to try too hard at times, he knows he is good - but when he overdoes it, he gets a little irritating. I did not order this because of this reason, but did not check where to find it either ....one of those bands you wish would be on everyone's list and mind .... but isn't for some reason.

ELDRITCH / Innervoid -
Claus and Guillaume have been after me for years and years and years to keep on with this band, even after Terrence Holler left. My old ass refused.....Claus kept on and I finally gave in after they both hit me on the head again about this disc. From the three songs I checked out, this was the best music I heard out of all the bands I listed above. Not mention the best singer of all them too - and he is a beautiful man to boot. The songs just floored me, and his voice is to die for .... most talk about the Sarayasign singer being the baddest ass around right now, but this guy in Eldritch takes it to another level still ..... f@#$$&g ordered !!!!!!

NEW HORIZONS / Inner Dislocation -
I don't know squat about this band. Glenn said - " your sorry old ass needs to hear this one - especially cause you at least still love Dream Theater " ......... went over to Bandcamp and BAM !!!! Instant hit ....... all I can say is check this out asap ....... for me, purchased !!!!!!!!! Where are these bands hiding ?????

https://revalverecords.bandcamp.com/alb ... islocation

There is still lots of metal left in me .... it just has to brought out at times ..... these guys with these long lists and obscure bands keep me going ....... I have lost that urge to go out there and hunt this stuff down, so I'm grateful for them ...... in the meantime, go back to their lists, and check stuff out you haven't heard before .... there is a goldmine out there just on their lists alone .......thanks to all of those mentioned above for keeping me at least somewhat grounded in the metal world ....

introclaus

Re: Metal bands I've checked out recently ......

Post by introclaus » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:20 pm

LarryD wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:57 am
So between Claus, Guillaume, Ken and Glenn - I've re-visited some bands I've loved in the past and didn't keep up with, or just left them behind because of longevity, lack of interest or stubbornness on my part ....here is what I found. This is a perfect example of what these long lists by these guys can do to someone ..... ;o)
Glad to hear that someone reads the lists and get something out of it.
LarryD wrote:
SOEN / Memorial -
Because of the peer pressure, I ordered this one. I should love this band no matter what they do - but I'm finding them hit or miss depending on my mood I guess.
I loved Atlantis. I own two others, but not love ...... I have not heard a note of this one - but because you all said it was great, I ordered it. Not to mention that if Guillaume has this one so high on his metal warrior list, it has to be good ......
I think "Atlantis" is easy to love, since it's a very well-produced live greatest hits album, that honestly doesn't sound much like a live album. So the fact that that's the one you enjoy makes sense ... it's their best songs all in one setting.

Definitely a "mood" band.
LarryD wrote:
I knew the singer was great. I've checked out all of the videos, just never got around to checking it out completely. It may be because it is melodic metal, maybe a little too commercial for me, I'm not sure. I played two songs from The Lions Road and ordered it. The singer is just so good ......
This one should fit in with your passion for Royal Hunt's "Paradox" ... it's very much along those lines. Super melodic "prog" metal/hard rock.
LarryD wrote:
I don't remember anyone talking about their new one .... I didn't know even know there was new one until recently. I love the band, and I loved their last disc...upon reading all of the reviews online, most say it is a forgettable, wall of sound, going nowhere disc ..... I played two songs, and like some here have said, it's a busy form of Symphony X but not as cohesive ..... still, the singer is so bad ass ...... ordered.
Good stuff - ended up just shy of my top 100.
LarryD wrote:
Guillaume has been keeping me in the loop on these guys for years ...... we both wonder, how the hell hasn't this band become more known and popular ? I own one of their discs from the past, and it was a bitch to get if I remember. We never see them stocked anywhere, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about them...
Go check out the link from Guillaume's list and come on back .... that singer is totally sick, and sounds like a cross between Zak Stevens and Andy Engberg.....however, he seems to try too hard at times, he knows he is good - but when he overdoes it, he gets a little irritating. I did not order this because of this reason, but did not check where to find it either ....one of those bands you wish would be on everyone's list and mind .... but isn't for some reason.
I didn't like this at all ... the singer hits some very strange notes that just hurt my ears.
LarryD wrote:
ELDRITCH / Innervoid -
Claus and Guillaume have been after me for years and years and years to keep on with this band, even after Terrence Holler left. My old ass refused.....Claus kept on and I finally gave in after they both hit me on the head again about this disc. From the three songs I checked out, this was the best music I heard out of all the bands I listed above. Not mention the best singer of all them too - and he is a beautiful man to boot. The songs just floored me, and his voice is to die for .... most talk about the Sarayasign singer being the baddest ass around right now, but this guy in Eldritch takes it to another level still ..... f@#$$&g ordered !!!!!!
Great stuff!
LarryD wrote:
NEW HORIZONS / Inner Dislocation -
I don't know squat about this band. Glenn said - " your sorry old ass needs to hear this one - especially cause you at least still love Dream Theater " ......... went over to Bandcamp and BAM !!!! Instant hit ....... all I can say is check this out asap ....... for me, purchased !!!!!!!!! Where are these bands hiding ?????
https://revalverecords.bandcamp.com/alb ... islocation
I can see how this would appeal to you. It's typical "Italo-prog".
LarryD wrote:
There is still lots of metal left in me .... it just has to brought out at times ..... these guys with these long lists and obscure bands keep me going ....... I have lost that urge to go out there and hunt this stuff down, so I'm grateful for them ...... in the meantime, go back to their lists, and check stuff out you haven't heard before .... there is a goldmine out there just on their lists alone .......thanks to all of those mentioned above for keeping me at least somewhat grounded in the metal world ....
Glad to see you aren't completely giving up on metal.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Metal bands I've checked out recently ......

Post by LarryD » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:57 am

SOEN / Memorial -

I think "Atlantis" is easy to love, since it's a very well-produced live greatest hits album, that honestly doesn't sound much like a live album. So the fact that that's the one you enjoy makes sense ... it's their best songs all in one setting.

Definitely a "mood" band.

****I am not liking this at all ....... it has too much of a modern / alternative sound to it ...... or maybe that's the way the singer sounds ..... I agree on Atlantis, but for some strange reason, I just don't connect with this band, and I really feel it has something to do with their overall sound .... my daughter, who is visiting, came out to listen, and really liked this - saying, " I can't imagine you liking this " ... and I said I don't ...... but she enjoyed it not having a clue who they are .......

This one should fit in with your passion for Royal Hunt's "Paradox" ... it's very much along those lines. Super melodic "prog" metal/hard rock.
****I really like this one ....this one really rattles my cage even though I'm late to the party ..... I may have to change my original statement in that this guy is my favorite singer of all the bands on this list .... I thought it might be the Eldritch guy at first, but after hearing this a few times, this guy is an absolute monster.....

Good stuff - ended up just shy of my top 100.

****This is good - and I always have liked them and the singer ...... but this wall of sound they have sounds like absolute shit on my system ......it is totally compressed and their music is just too busy and dense to add in all of that compression ...... I'll have to stick with headphones for this one, but this is becoming the norm lately for productions like this .....

I didn't like this at all ... the singer hits some very strange notes that just hurt my ears.
****I agree completely ...... while he has a great voice, he does something with his voice that really hurts ...... and I mean hurt. He has that perfect Zak Stevens things going on, and the music is epic. But when he does that thing with his voice, it is annoying as hell - and he does it frequently ......

ELDRITCH / Innervoid -

Great stuff!
****It is a great disc - but again, it sounds like total crap on my system ....... just a wall of muffled compression ..............ugh.

So far - on CD, NoSpun sounds the best out of all of these mentioned. Quite the difference in sound ........