This really annoys me about iTunes (anyone else feel the same)?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

introclaus

This really annoys me about iTunes (anyone else feel the same)?

Post by introclaus » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:54 am

All three issues are related to pre-album release singles...

1) When a band releases singles prior to the album release, one at a time, and with each single they ask you to pay just a bit more by adding on the song you just purchased a month earlier.
Case in point: Witherfall's upcoming album is preceeded by 3 different singles now
  • First single "Insidious" includes two songs (Insidious, A Lonely Path) - iTunes $1.98
  • Second single "Ceremony of Fire" includes three songs (Ceremony of Fire, Insidious, A Lonely Path) - iTunes $2.97
  • Third single "Where Do I Begin" includes four songs (Where Do I Begin, Ceremony of Fire, Insidious, A Lonely Path) - iTunes $2.99
And guess what - when the actual album is releases (coming in May), all these 4 songs are includes, so another $8.99 then. And most likely (!!!) the band will release another single or two before then, making fans like me go out and buy those as well.
** note, this is same situation with a lot of other bands, just picked this one out - another recent example would be Time the Valuator **

2) When a single is included on the album, but it isn't part of what you download from iTunes when purchasing full album.
Case in point: Unprocessed's last album
All the 3 singles I obviously purchased one by one as I couldn't wait for the full album to be released. When the album was released I had it pre-ordered on iTunes and it automatically downloaded the remaining 6 songs, but it didn't include the original 3, so every time I listen on my phone to the album I only get 6 songs. I've managed to combine them on my computer, but on the phone it only gives me the 6 songs and then I can manually go listen to each single afterwards.
** note, this happens way too often if you ask me!!! **

3) When a band uses the same cover artwork for the single(s) and the album
Case in point: Tesseract's last album
First they put out the awesome "War of Being" single and then later the "War of Being" album ... same title, same cover. In my iTunes I now see both covers right after each other ... ugh.

Perhaps I'm to blame for buying almost all my music through iTunes, and this is only an issue with that one digital outlet? I don't know if anyone using other services have same problem? Back in the day where I purchased all my music on physical media this obviously wasn't a big deal - then again, bands typically only put out one or two singles and only if they were bigger bands ...
Claus Jensen

jhallum

Re: This really annoys me about iTunes (anyone else feel the same)?

Post by jhallum » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:32 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:54 am

Perhaps I'm to blame for buying almost all my music through iTunes, and this is only an issue with that one digital outlet? I don't know if anyone using other services have same problem? Back in the day where I purchased all my music on physical media this obviously wasn't a big deal - then again, bands typically only put out one or two singles and only if they were bigger bands ...
Nah, it's true with Amazon too. I don't buy many singles unless I know it's a part of the album just to avoid this (like Caligula's Horse, I preordered when I saw it was an album, not a single).

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:15 pm

I use Amazon Music and I never buy a single ..... ever. Don't care what band it is - full disc only here. Any market scheme detected goes unpurchased.... I hate when bands / sites pull that crap ........

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:36 pm

I still mainly use Bandcamp and you can generally get around this by buying individual tracks off of the whole album when it comes out, but man...what a pain in the ass. Look I'm super down to be a patron of the arts, but don't make it so fucking obnoxious, eh?

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:51 am

Mardoch wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:36 pm
I still mainly use Bandcamp and you can generally get around this by buying individual tracks off of the whole album when it comes out, but man...what a pain in the ass. Look I'm super down to be a patron of the arts, but don't make it so fucking obnoxious, eh?
It seems backwards to me ... you should REWARD those fans who immediately buy your singles, and let them download those songs once more when they purchase the full album.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:54 am

LarryD wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:15 pm
I use Amazon Music and I never buy a single ..... ever. Don't care what band it is - full disc only here. Any market scheme detected goes unpurchased.... I hate when bands / sites pull that crap ........
For me a single is a great way to get into the mood of an album before it comes out - one song at a time. A full album dropping without having heard any singles often is "too much" to digest in one setting (especially the way I listen to music, which is typically in between meetings).
Claus Jensen