Haven't posted one of these in years--Top 10 2023

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Scott B

Haven't posted one of these in years--Top 10 2023

Post by Scott B » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:03 pm

While I likely listened to hundreds of albums last year, I ultimately bought 63 albums, all vinyl. I don't buy any other format. I bought 23 fewer albums last year than the year before. I hope to continue that trend! So hear are the ten in order of purchase with some commentary:

Klone- Meanwhile
According to Spotify, I played the absolute hell out of this. I also bought two vinyl variants and caught them live in Paris as well. So yeah, I kind of liked the album, and they absolutely killed live.

Avenged Sevenfold- Life IS But A Dream
A7X are now more progressive than 99% of all prog bands. This album is a masterpiece. Period. Also, they still kill it live after a long absence from the stage.

Sleep Token- Take Me Back to Eden
I don't think I would have picked this band to become "pop" darlings, but there you go. They continue their alchemy on this album. Bucket list to see them live.

Godsticks- This Is What A Winner Looks Like
Hands down one of my favorite bands. Every album is a favorite. I believe they were a close second to Klone on my Spotify playlist.

Soen- Memorial
So. Damn. Good. Can't wait to see them in May. Easily top 10 live bands I've seen.

Subsignal- A poetry of Rain
These guys seem to fly under the radar. Shame. Really should be on a lot of "best of" lists

Molybaron- Something Ominous
The opening riffs are literally something ominous. Brilliant music, stunning lyrics.

Rolling Stones- Hackney Diamonds
Huh? Wha? No, WTF? How did this get here? I'm not even a fan and somehow I now have four Stones albums in the rack. This album is so good I actually hope they don't release another. It would be the definition of bowing out after a truly great album. It's not just a great album considering the guys are pushing 80. This album could easily holds pace with their best classics.

Deadly Carnage- Endless blue
This was the next to last purchase of the year, purchased says before the end of the year. Haven't had a lot of time with it but bought it immediately after hearing it in a random rotation.

The Anchoret- It All began With Loneliness
Last purchase of the year. I recall listening to this when it was released and have no explanation as to why I didn't immediately buy it.

Didn't go to a lot of shows, which has become the norm for me. Other than the Klone and A7X shows, I saw Lorna Shore for the second time and they continue to be massively impressive. Caught the opening night of the Vola\Wheel tour and both bands were so damn good.

Looking forward to seeing what 2024 brings.

introclaus

Re: Haven't posted one of these in years--Top 10 2023

Post by introclaus » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:36 pm

Scott B wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:03 pm
While I likely listened to hundreds of albums last year, I ultimately bought 63 albums, all vinyl. I don't buy any other format. I bought 23 fewer albums last year than the year before. I hope to continue that trend! So hear are the ten in order of purchase with some commentary:
I also bought less than before. The vast majority of my purchases were digital this year. I only bought two (new) vinyls and 5 CDs. The rest was all digital. I did buy a handful of old vinyl to complete the collection ...
Scott B wrote:
Klone- Meanwhile
According to Spotify, I played the absolute hell out of this. I also bought two vinyl variants and caught them live in Paris as well. So yeah, I kind of liked the album, and they absolutely killed live.
I didn't like this one. I think it's the vocals that somehow doesn't work for me.
Scott B wrote:
Avenged Sevenfold- Life IS But A Dream
A7X are now more progressive than 99% of all prog bands. This album is a masterpiece. Period. Also, they still kill it live after a long absence from the stage.
Amazing album.
Scott B wrote:
Sleep Token- Take Me Back to Eden
I don't think I would have picked this band to become "pop" darlings, but there you go. They continue their alchemy on this album. Bucket list to see them live.
I've tried soooo many times ... I'm beginning to find more about it that interests me than what bores me now, but it's still not good. Perhaps eventually I've numbed myself so much that I'll begin liking it haha. I'll keep at it until then.
Scott B wrote:
Godsticks- This Is What A Winner Looks Like
Hands down one of my favorite bands. Every album is a favorite. I believe they were a close second to Klone on my Spotify playlist.
Never heard them - will check it out.
Scott B wrote:
Soen- Memorial
So. Damn. Good. Can't wait to see them in May. Easily top 10 live bands I've seen.
Yes, great album.
Scott B wrote:
Subsignal- A poetry of Rain
These guys seem to fly under the radar. Shame. Really should be on a lot of "best of" lists
I really like this. Not metal, so didnt' make my list.
Scott B wrote:
Molybaron- Something Ominous
The opening riffs are literally something ominous. Brilliant music, stunning lyrics.
Love it.
Scott B wrote:
Rolling Stones- Hackney Diamonds
Huh? Wha? No, WTF? How did this get here? I'm not even a fan and somehow I now have four Stones albums in the rack. This album is so good I actually hope they don't release another. It would be the definition of bowing out after a truly great album. It's not just a great album considering the guys are pushing 80. This album could easily holds pace with their best classics.
Did not like it.
Scott B wrote:
Deadly Carnage- Endless blue
This was the next to last purchase of the year, purchased says before the end of the year. Haven't had a lot of time with it but bought it immediately after hearing it in a random rotation.
Never heard - will check out.
Scott B wrote:
The Anchoret- It All began With Loneliness
Last purchase of the year. I recall listening to this when it was released and have no explanation as to why I didn't immediately buy it.
Love it.
Scott B wrote:
Didn't go to a lot of shows, which has become the norm for me. Other than the Klone and A7X shows, I saw Lorna Shore for the second time and they continue to be massively impressive. Caught the opening night of the Vola\Wheel tour and both bands were so damn good.
Looking forward to seeing what 2024 brings.
I went to Loverboy/Foreigner show.
I thought I went to Soen show too, but that was December 2022.

For 2024 I've got the Unprocessed show in April lined up, and that's about it ... for now at least.
Claus Jensen

giedrius

Re: Haven't posted one of these in years--Top 10 2023

Post by giedrius » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:01 pm

Thanks for mentioning Klone. I remember listening to them a bit a few years ago, but then just forgot about them. Now I listened to "Meanwhile" a few times and I like its calm and mellow kind of alt/prog metal.