My top 10 for 2023...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

My top 10 for 2023...

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:16 pm

* Updated - Good year for me, but not mind blowing. Feel free to comment on the list or give suggestions on missing items.

1. No Spun - Opus, Sorry Claus I found this to be pretty amazing. Kinda reminds me of the band Suspyre, but leaning more DT than Symphony X. Think the singer is quite good. He has a nice clean voice and the gruff parts are not overdone.
2. Kamelot - The Awakening, Sorry Scott I found this to be a great CD vocally. I think the melodies are killer. Music has a little more chuga chuga parts than I prefer, but I played this to death. Much better than the previous CD IMO.
3. Haken - Fauna, I'm a fanboy. Always like their stuff. Track 3 is about their only song I don't really car for though in enrie discography.
4. Subsignal - A Poetry of Rain, prefer when they go heavier, but melodies are killer all over this one.
5. Angra - Cycles of Pain, this cd rips. Much better than Omni which I found blah.
*6.Sacred Outcry - Towers of Gold, killer prog power metal with Daniel Heiman slaying on it.
7. Pyramaze - Bloodlines, this sounds pretty much the same as the 3 before it, but again quality, catchy stuff.
8. A.C.T - Falling, Always enjoy the quirkiness of these guys. Took a bit longer for this to click, but it has now.
9. Teramaze - Dallas Volta, Handful of great new tunes and a few killer remakes.
10. Wicked Maraya - Chapters, this sound exactly like I hoped. Could be right off one of the 1st two releases.
Last edited by Hearing Aid Man on Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random Axe

Re: My top 10 for 2023...

Post by Random Axe » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:24 pm

That's a solid list.

I either didn't hear, don't like the band or didn't love the albums below.

NoSpun - I tried to find the greatness in this a few times. I'm still looking. Doesn't men I'm done, but I'm clearly not hearing what everyone else is, and that's likely attributable to my advancing age and questionable tastes.
Kamelot - I wanted so much to like this. It was painful to write what I did. I truly hope to have my mind changed. Still adore the band.
Haken - Never liked a single thing by them. Affinity was okay, but that was a musical outlier from their normal style.
Subsignal - They are so hit and miss for me. Debut is cool. Touchstones is strong. Live DVD was fantastic. Beacons was really good. Muerta was odd. The new one is just not anything I'll go back to listen to again.
Angra - Haven't listened to anything they've done since Edu left. I'm probably missing out.
Pyramaze - Not bad. I like the most recent output far better than the earlier stuff. However, I've never fully embraced them.
ACT - Not terribly familiar, but based on the word quirk I'm certain I'd be best to avoid.
Teramaze - Great with the right vocalist. There are some pretty great songs on here and some unnecessary re-makes with Dean singing. Nathan is a badass and needs more exposure.
Wicked Maraya - Barely familiar with them from an older album Cycles(?). I think they put out something a few years ago that seemed okay enough. Not heard this new one.
Jarzombek - It occurred to me I don't know who this is. I know Bobby. I don't know Ron.

It's cool so many people found good stuff this year. I was just a bit off the rails so I'll bounce back in 24 with some good stuff I'm sure.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:44 pm

I'm not sure where my post went - but I answered the original post with some thoughts, but I don't see it posted for some reason .......so I'll hit this one, and reply to both posts at the same time .....

My original post said that normally, Hearing Aid and me usually line up about 4-5 discs in common each year - but due to my declining taste in certain styles, we have one in common, and one just outside of my top 10 ..... I'll list them below ......

I either didn't hear, don't like the band or didn't love the albums below.
****Scott, here are my thoughts on these for you ....

NoSpun - I tried to find the greatness in this a few times. I'm still looking. Doesn't men I'm done, but I'm clearly not hearing what everyone else is, and that's likely attributable to my advancing age and questionable tastes.

****You don't like this one because it has pure Haken worship in it .....stay clear. That said, for Hearing Aid, this would be # 11 or # 12 for me on my list ......

Kamelot - I wanted so much to like this. It was painful to write what I did. I truly hope to have my mind changed. Still adore the band.
****I wore a Kamelot t-shirt to 17 Prog Powers. I bought it in 2005 and it lasted me until last year, when it literally fell off my body and deteriorated. I was asked politely by friends and wife, not to wear it in public anymore. Never had a shirt last that long - ever. It's ok not to like the disc. I didn't even buy this one. The style doesn't grab me anymore, and I've got plenty of Kamelot discs to keep me warm if I need one - looking at you Black Halo. They never repeated the greatness, but did release some great discs afterwards....

Haken - Never liked a single thing by them. Affinity was okay, but that was a musical outlier from their normal style.
***The first two are magical. Especially Visions. After that it was downhill for me with each release. Have not bought one since, maybe the one after Affinity ? They lost me.
Subsignal - They are so hit and miss for me. Debut is cool. Touchstones is strong. Live DVD was fantastic. Beacons was really good. Muerta was odd. The new one is just not anything I'll go back to listen to again.

****Agree with everything you said except not going back to this one again ...... the band is just quality personnified.

Angra - Haven't listened to anything they've done since Edu left. I'm probably missing out.
Pyramaze - Not bad. I like the most recent output far better than the earlier stuff. However, I've never fully embraced them.
****Same with me on the Angra. I don't think you are missing out unless you still like that style. If you do, then the Angra pros can tell you which one you need.....as far as Pyramaze, Stevie tried relentlessly to get me into this band, and one of the discs clicked with me, but that was the end of it .... never fully got into them.

ACT - Not terribly familiar, but based on the word quirk I'm certain I'd be best to avoid.
***You would do well to stay clear of this band. You would hate them. Even too quirky for me, although the Circus disc was a lot of fun .....

Teramaze - Great with the right vocalist. There are some pretty great songs on here and some unnecessary re-makes with Dean singing. Nathan is a badass and needs more exposure.
Wicked Maraya - Barely familiar with them from an older album Cycles(?). I think they put out something a few years ago that seemed okay enough. Not heard this new one.
Jarzombek - It occurred to me I don't know who this is. I know Bobby. I don't know Ron.

****I have no interest in any of these .....Teramaze had one great disc, I forget the name but I don't own it amymore .......

It's cool so many people found good stuff this year. I was just a bit off the rails so I'll bounce back in 24 with some good stuff I'm sure.
***Scott - it happens. We all go off the rails. Some of us still are. But we let the music get us back on track .... it may not be the music that did it for you before, but there is always new sounds to take its place if need be .....

In my top 10 list - coming soon - 8 out of the 10 discs are prog rock discs .... only 2 are metal. There are many reasons for this ..... too many to analyze. Just grab it, and run with it .... whatever it is .......it will happen.

There are 3 people I could name that keep me coming back to the music .... not that I abandon it, but if I get off the rails, one or all of them pull me back .... I should name them ( again ) as I have in the past ..... but I'm not off the rails so I won't. When and if that time comes - I will thank them again ..... that's what is so great about this board - it's not just words, it's a family in some way.... use it to bring yourself back on track ...... PM me if you like ......

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:18 pm

Larry,

Shoot me your number. I'll call sometime on my vacation first week of 24!

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:20 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:16 pm
Good year for me, but not mind blowing. Feel free to comment on the list or give suggestions on missing items.
I don't know ... there were some albums that I consider mind-blowing (well, at least one that i found brought something completely unique to the table this year).
Hearing Aid Man wrote:
1. No Spun - Opus, Sorry Claus I found this to be pretty amazing. Kinda reminds me of the band Suspyre, but leaning more DT than Symphony X. Think the singer is quite good. He has a nice clean voice and the gruff parts are not overdone.
No need to be sorry - I still think you're wrong though :)
Hearing Aid Man wrote:
2. Kamelot - The Awakening, Sorry Scott I found this to be a great CD vocally. I think the melodies are killer. Music has a little more chuga chuga parts than I prefer, but I played this to death. Much better than the previous CD IMO.
Yeah I love it as well.
Hearing Aid Man wrote:
3. Haken - Fauna, I'm a fanboy. Always like their stuff. Track 3 is about their only song I don't really car for though in enrie discography.
Didn't do it for me - a shame considering how great the last one was.
Hearing Aid Man wrote:
4. Subsignal - A Poetry of Rain, prefer when they go heavier, but melodies are killer all over this one.
Super disc.
Hearing Aid Man wrote:
5. Angra - Cycles of Pain, this cd rips. Much better than Omni which I found blah.
I enjoyed this quite a bit.
Hearing Aid Man wrote:
6. Pyramaze - Bloodlines, this sounds pretty much the same as the 3 before it, but again quality, catchy stuff.
Their singer just doesn't move me at all. A shame as I used to love the band (heck, I designed their logo, got them their first vocalist, found them their first record deals, tours, etc.)
Hearing Aid Man wrote:
7. A.C.T - Falling, Always enjoy the quirkiness of these guys. Took a bit longer for this to click, but it has now.
Love this EP. Can't wait for the final part of the 4-disc EP.
Hearing Aid Man wrote:
8. Teramaze - Dallas Volta, Handful of great new tunes and a few killer remakes.
Worst band I've ever worked with ... personality wise. Loved "Anhedonia" and "Tears to Dust", but Dean is a bitch.
Hearing Aid Man wrote:
9. Wicked Maraya - Chapters, this sound exactly like I hoped. Could be right off one of the 1st two releases.
I didn't check this out. "Cycles" was a great album. The second one not so much.
Hearing Aid Man wrote:
10. Ron Jarzombek - Apps, Writing Systems and Remakes, this guy is so creative and can make anything cool.
Hmmm, I love Spastik Ink, but to be honest, the idea of sitting through another instrumental album in 2023 just doesn't appeal to me.
Claus Jensen

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:19 am

Killer list, everything here (except the Subsignal and the jarzombek), I have in my top third-40% everything on your list.

giedrius

Post by giedrius » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:19 am

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
Good year for me, but not mind blowing. Feel free to comment on the list or give suggestions on missing items.

6. Pyramaze - Bloodlines, this sounds pretty much the same as the 3 before it, but again quality, catchy stuff.
7. A.C.T - Falling, Always enjoy the quirkiness of these guys. Took a bit longer for this to click, but it has now.
8. Teramaze - Dallas Volta, Handful of great new tunes and a few killer remakes.
9. Wicked Maraya - Chapters, this sound exactly like I hoped. Could be right off one of the 1st two releases.
10. Ron Jarzombek - Apps, Writing Systems and Remakes, this guy is so creative and can make anything cool.
Great list.

I hear many people like Nospun. I recognize and value the effort they put into this album, but for some reason it doesn't click to me 100%. Maybe because of some theatrics here and there, or because of not being too direct. It could well be that I will start to like them more and more with subsequent albums. The same happened with Haken to me - I only started to really like them with Vector and then revisited their past catalog.

I liked Teramaze's I Wonder + And The Beauty They Perceive a lot, I think they nailed melodic progressive metal very well there. But then maybe they started to release too much, and my interest declined a bit.

Subsignal was great. This album forced me to revisit their previous albums.

I need to listen to Wicked Maraya.

giedrius

Post by giedrius » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:07 am

My Top 10 of 2023:

10. DGM - Life
A blend of progressive/power metal with melodic hard rock - more focus on songs than clinical virtuosity.

9. Dødheimsgard - Black Medium Current
Avant-garde black metal with Peaceville's mark of approval.

8. Subsignal - Poetry of Rain
Mellow yet captivating prog rock featuring two ex-Sieges Even members.

7. Temic - Terror Management Theory
An excellent progressive metal debut aiming at the league of later-era prog metal bands like Leprous, Haken, and Caligula's Horse.

6. Enslaved - Heimdal
Strong, solid, and dark in its Nordic ways, as usual.

5. TesseracT - War of Being
10/10 - Not for innovation this time, but for perfectly hitting the bar with top-class progressive metal and djent.

4. Avenged Sevenfold - Life Is But a Dream...
Despite the love/hate sentiment regarding this band, this is a very well-crafted, versatile rock/metal album that traverses many boundaries.

3. Einar Solberg - 16
The solo debut from Leprous' singer is an entity on its own, featuring very varied and creative songs with lots of vocal acrobatics in a progressive metal style and beyond.

2. The Anchoret - It All Began With Loneliness
The mood of this debut album from the Canadian band reminds me of mid-era Opeth but with its own distinct mark and sound. The Anchoret arrived there from a prog rock (not death metal) starting point.

1. Katatonia - Sky Void of Stars
My favorite Katatonia album with lots of diverse and catchy songs.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:49 am

giedrius wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:07 am
My Top 10 of 2023:

10. DGM - Life
A blend of progressive/power metal with melodic hard rock - more focus on songs than clinical virtuosity.

9. Dødheimsgard - Black Medium Current
Avant-garde black metal with Peaceville's mark of approval.

8. Subsignal - Poetry of Rain
Mellow yet captivating prog rock featuring two ex-Sieges Even members.

7. Temic - Terror Management Theory
An excellent progressive metal debut aiming at the league of later-era prog metal bands like Leprous, Haken, and Caligula's Horse.

6. Enslaved - Heimdal
Strong, solid, and dark in its Nordic ways, as usual.

5. TesseracT - War of Being
10/10 - Not for innovation this time, but for perfectly hitting the bar with top-class progressive metal and djent.

4. Avenged Sevenfold - Life Is But a Dream...
Despite the love/hate sentiment regarding this band, this is a very well-crafted, versatile rock/metal album that traverses many boundaries.

3. Einar Solberg - 16
The solo debut from Leprous' singer is an entity on its own, featuring very varied and creative songs with lots of vocal acrobatics in a progressive metal style and beyond.

The mood of this debut album from the Canadian band reminds me of mid-era Opeth but with its own distinct mark and sound. The Anchoret arrived there from a prog rock (not death metal) starting point.

1. Katatonia - Sky Void of Stars
My favorite Katatonia album with lots of diverse and catchy songs.
Wow, that's one heck of a list. 6 of these made my top 100, and 5 (!!!) of them made my top 20.
Claus Jensen

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:19 pm

Checking this one out. Liking what I'm hearing.