New I/O Earth.....IQ......Christina Booth.

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

New I/O Earth.....IQ......Christina Booth.

Post by LarryD » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:58 am

Just got these in from The Lasers Edge ......

CHRISTINA BOOTH / Bar Stool Prophet -
My girl from the great Prog Rock band Magenta. She has released her 3rd solo disc, and it is a bit different from her other two. Her first two are more atmospheric, focusing on life and relationships, with tons of emotion throughout.... here, this one was delayed by the pandemic, and is a bit more poppy, gritty, and politically driven at times, which would make sense. I'm not completely sold on this one as I was with the previous ones, due to the extra pop that comes with this one....but her is addictive as always. Anyone not familiar with her, or her band Magenta, should definitely check them out if you are into Prog Rock with female vocals....

Here is the whole album > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw4UUB6 ... nel=leedle

Check out Magenta as well - here is the album called SEVEN > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD_X7RG ... nel=leedle

I/O EARTH / Sanctuary -
Sir Exar Kun would probably be the only person interested in this band, but I am a fanboy from day one .... this atmospheric, dreamy, Mid-Eastern vibed band from England releases yet another disc ....and in the spirit of progression, they have put out some music a bit different from their previous outings....normally dreamy and laced with a Mid-Eastern flair, this one seems to be a bit more gritty, modern, and somewhat quirky. I believe they have yet changed to another female singer, who is quite good, and if you look at the artwork, you would already guess that this one is a bit more aggressive and a bit outside of their previous work. They seem a bit more pissed off here, and creepy as well - with the atmosphere sounding a bit evil and angry as opposed to their normal laid back sound ......

Here is the video for the title track of the disc > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL5lDOG ... el=IOEarth

IQ / Subterranea - Live 2011
Do we need another live IQ disc ? Hell yeah !!!! Do we need another live Subterranea show ? Well, if you are a fanboy like me, yes. If you have the original live show from way back, then that's up to you .....I'm not sure why a band would release a show recorded in 2011, but here it is in its entirety. No need to go into the story of this one, but I do want to point out that I'm a little disappointed in the sound on this one. It is quite bass heavy and a bit muffled. Their other live shows are crystal clear and precise. Performance wise - it's classic IQ playing one of the best concept discs ever.

Sir Exar Kun

Re: New I/O Earth.....IQ......Christina Booth.

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:05 am

I/O EARTH / Sanctuary -
Sir Exar Kun would probably be the only person interested in this band, but I am a fanboy from day one .... this atmospheric, dreamy, Mid-Eastern vibed band from England releases yet another disc ....and in the spirit of progression, they have put out some music a bit different from their previous outings....normally dreamy and laced with a Mid-Eastern flair, this one seems to be a bit more gritty, modern, and somewhat quirky. I believe they have yet changed to another female singer, who is quite good, and if you look at the artwork, you would already guess that this one is a bit more aggressive and a bit outside of their previous work. They seem a bit more pissed off here, and creepy as well - with the atmosphere sounding a bit evil and angry as opposed to their normal laid back sound ......

Here is the video for the title track of the disc > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL5lDOG ... el=IOEarth
Funny you bring this up.... Was waiting to hear your feedback on it, as they have pretty well lost me over the last few as they went more and more ambient and lighter. I believe I read this is the singer from the "New World" album (which I LOVE) so was hoping that might inject a bit more life into the band.

I guess my question is.... Does this album "do" more than the last few, if that makes sense?
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:07 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:05 am
I/O EARTH / Sanctuary -

Funny you bring this up.... Was waiting to hear your feedback on it, as they have pretty well lost me over the last few as they went more and more ambient and lighter. I believe I read this is the singer from the "New World" album (which I LOVE) so was hoping that might inject a bit more life into the band.

I guess my question is.... Does this album "do" more than the last few, if that makes sense?

***Check out that video -- if you don't like that one, then stay clear. I'm ok with the ambient and lighter ...... this one is definitely more aggressive, but really quirky as well. It seems to be quite different from the other ones ....... I'll give you more thoughts as I go ... but hit that video when you can .......

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:55 pm

LarryD wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:58 am
Do we need another live IQ disc ? Hell yeah !!!! Do we need another live Subterranea show ? Well, if you are a fanboy like me, yes. If you have the original live show from way back, then that's up to you .....I'm not sure why a band would release a show recorded in 2011, but here it is in its entirety. No need to go into the story of this one, but I do want to point out that I'm a little disappointed in the sound on this one. It is quite bass heavy and a bit muffled. Their other live shows are crystal clear and precise. Performance wise - it's classic IQ playing one of the best concept discs ever.
This double CD is the audio of the first concert ("Subterranea" album portion played in full) from the Blu-ray of the box set "The Archive Collection 2003 - 2017" from 2021.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:03 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:55 pm
LarryD wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:58 am
This double CD is the audio of the first concert ("Subterranea" album portion played in full) from the Blu-ray of the box set "The Archive Collection 2003 - 2017" from 2021.

****Yeah I should have looked that up as I Have the Archive Collection ...... Bluray sounds much better than this CD for sure ........

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:02 am

***Check out that video -- if you don't like that one, then stay clear. I'm ok with the ambient and lighter ...... this one is definitely more aggressive, but really quirky as well. It seems to be quite different from the other ones ....... I'll give you more thoughts as I go ... but hit that video when you can .......
This 100% works for me. More structure, more body to the song than their recent outputs, and definitely a HEAVIER sense to it.

Will be adding this to the next LE order, but alas..... I JUST placed one like Wednesday so may be a bit....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:56 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:02 am
This 100% works for me. More structure, more body to the song than their recent outputs, and definitely a HEAVIER sense to it.

Will be adding this to the next LE order, but alas..... I JUST placed one like Wednesday so may be a bit....

****Glad to hear - and yes that happens to me all the time .... I place an order with TLE and then I look the next day and say - why didn't I order that one too ?? Damn.