Power Metal

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

prog_powermetal99

Power Metal

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:19 am

Reading on different forums, I find it interesting that some of those who hate powermetal say that it's because they dislike the cheesy fantasy lyrics, but I bet if you were to look at the bookshelves of some of those haters you would find fantasy and science fiction books.....

Why does that seem hypocritical to me? I guess it's because just like books, music is often used as an escapism.....To lose yourself and detach from reality for awhile, so what's the difference if it's in a book form or a song/album? .......... That's my rant for the day.........

Mardoch
Site Admin

Re: Power Metal

Post by Mardoch » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:54 am

My house is 100% fantasy nerdery, and I don't listen to much power metal anymore. To me it's because the music is cliched and boring. Virtually all power metal is stamped from one mold, and I just don't have much love for things coming from that mold anymore. The lyrics being silly as hell isn't even a mandatory aspect! Just very common.

I joke that this is because my inner child has long-since been murdered. I've lost some of what it takes to stay hooked into that goofy cheese, which is probably to my detriment.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:19 am

Mardoch wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:54 am
My house is 100% fantasy nerdery, and I don't listen to much power metal anymore. To me it's because the music is cliched and boring. Virtually all power metal is stamped from one mold, and I just don't have much love for things coming from that mold anymore. The lyrics being silly as hell isn't even a mandatory aspect! Just very common.

I joke that this is because my inner child has long-since been murdered. I've lost some of what it takes to stay hooked into that goofy cheese, which is probably to my detriment.
****Don't get old too fast ....... you will start clinging to New Age and Classical for comfort ........ :wink:

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:34 am

LarryD wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:19 am
Mardoch wrote:

****Don't get old too fast ....... you will start clinging to New Age and Classical for comfort ........ :wink:
I've been old since I was a kid, but I don't think New Age is ever going to claim me lol

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:19 pm

Mardoch wrote:

I can understand that then. That's how I am with prog-metal these days. I find most of it very boring and yawn inducing... It's been years since I've listened to Dream Theater, and I probably never will again, as I now find them incredibly boring anymore and the same lots of other prog metal bands. It's the same old music over and over again.... , I'm pretty much into deathcore, metalcore and some powermetal ......So I get what you mean.....

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:13 pm

Mardoch wrote:

I thought for sure that I'd get away from power metal after 20 years, but even though my taste in metal has widely diversified lately, I still find that I reach for a good power, power/prog, prog metal album or about 70% of the black/death/sludge metal albums I check out.

Cliche it might be, but sometimes you just need to embrace some good cheddar.

Though, I find there's a swath of current power metal that I'm having a hard time getting used to: the Gloryhammer/Victorius/Fellowship super tinkly 'lets make another rhapsody album that doesn't have the balls that rhapsody had'. I should like it, but for some reason I don't.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:49 pm

jhallum wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:13 pm
Cliche it might be, but sometimes you just need to embrace some good cheddar.
This remains true. When I do find myself wanting a staunch Gruyere I tend to go for my classics. Often Dream Evil or Twilightning. The cheesiest cheeses.

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:51 pm

I don't listen to too much power metal anymore. I still like some of the top shelf stuff that I've listened to for a long time like Helloween, but not too much newer stuff. I'm listening to more prog, death, black and tech metal lately.

sez

Post by sez » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:29 pm

I would've said the same as all of you, until this summer. I hadn't listened to any power metal for a long while, and bought Helloween's latest several years ago out of a sense of duty and respect. I wasn't paying much attention to power metal and didn't really care about any of the new bands that came out.

Then, because my daughter was getting into listening to movie soundtracks, I pulled out a bunch of symphonic metal: Nightwish, Epica, Luca Turilli's stuff (his own Rhapsody, Rhapsody of fire, etc), whatever I had in my collection for her to listen to. I (re)discovered the amazing voice of Alessandro Conti on those Luca Turilli's Rhapsody discs, and I wondered, what's he doing now?

And that's how I discovered Twilight Force.

Wow, were they refreshing! Happy, upbeat, uplifting, infectious. They ruled my world all summer long. Give me power metal like that any day. I was so sorry I'd missed the boat on them, but for the longest time, I just wasn't interested.

So yeah, if you're feeling old and jaded like me and you're just not interested anymore, give some Twilight Force a shot. Have some fun again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiH5FNK ... cnZhbGU%3D

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:33 pm

sez wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:29 pm
I would've said the same as all of you, until this summer. I hadn't listened to any power metal for a long while, and bought Helloween's latest several years ago out of a sense of duty and respect. I wasn't paying much attention to power metal and didn't really care about any of the new bands that came out.

Then, because my daughter was getting into listening to movie soundtracks, I pulled out a bunch of symphonic metal: Nightwish, Epica, Luca Turilli's stuff (his own Rhapsody, Rhapsody of fire, etc), whatever I had in my collection for her to listen to. I (re)discovered the amazing voice of Alessandro Conti on those Luca Turilli's Rhapsody discs, and I wondered, what's he doing now?

And that's how I discovered Twilight Force.

Wow, were they refreshing! Happy, upbeat, uplifting, infectious. They ruled my world all summer long. Give me power metal like that any day. I was so sorry I'd missed the boat on them, but for the longest time, I just wasn't interested.

So yeah, if you're feeling old and jaded like me and you're just not interested anymore, give some Twilight Force a shot. Have some fun again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiH5FNK ... cnZhbGU%3D
I'll have to check them out. I can understand people not liking the style of power metal, but I never understand those people that makes comments like, "The lyrics are too happy" or 'The music is too happy sounding". Yet some of those same people probably have no problem listening to depressing lyrics, which makes absolutely no sense. I mean why are depressing lyrics better than happy lyrics? I mean depression and happiness are 2 valid states of mind, so not sure why one would think one is better than the other when it comes to lyrics.

sez

Post by sez » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:03 pm

I'll have to check them out.
Did you, and if so, what did you think? And by the way, for those in the US, Happy Thanksgiving!