Aviations - Luminaria

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

EmptyThoughts

Aviations - Luminaria

Post by EmptyThoughts » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:53 pm

OMG, I can't believe no one has even mentioned this album. Just like the No Spin disc, this is amazing modern Prog Metal performed excellently. To my ears, it's a mix of Disperse along with some Arch Echo, but very melodic, and Progressive as well. Just like I enjoy it... BTW, there is a singer in this band :)

Definitely worth checking out. https://aviations.bandcamp.com/album/luminaria

Random Axe

Re: Aviations - Luminaria

Post by Random Axe » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:11 pm

I've come to finally realize that modern prog just isn't for me. It's not bad in any way, just not written for someone of my advancing age. Music is cool and complex. The voice...

Vocals are almost always a higher pitched, nasaly, whiny timbre as if a mashup of spiral architect and Green Day. Again, most like this or have accepted this trend. I have not.

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:16 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:11 pm
I've come to finally realize that modern prog just isn't for me. It's not bad in any way, just not written for someone of my advancing age. Music is cool and complex. The voice...

Vocals are almost always a higher pitched, nasaly, whiny timbre as if a mashup of spiral architect and Green Day. Again, most like this or have accepted this trend. I have not.

Yeah that higher pitched voice is definitely a modern rock trend to make things more gritty. Its taken me some time to get used to it, but when it bleeds into more black metal vocals it starts crossing the line.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:51 am

EmptyThoughts wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:53 pm
OMG, I can't believe no one has even mentioned this album. Just like the No Spin disc, this is amazing modern Prog Metal performed excellently. To my ears, it's a mix of Disperse along with some Arch Echo, but very melodic, and Progressive as well. Just like I enjoy it... BTW, there is a singer in this band :)

Definitely worth checking out. https://aviations.bandcamp.com/album/luminaria
Yeah, I've had the album a while, and it'll make it onto my end-of-year list. I really enjoy it, it's very laid back, and has some strong melodies. I enjoyed their 2020 EP "Retrospect" which is the only other of their discs I have. Apparently they are one of those Berklee School of Music bands, so you know the musicianship is through the roof.

I don't know Disperse well enough to hear the comparison, but I do hear Arch Echo (luckily this has vocals ;)) as well as a good deal of Unprocessed and a bit of VOLA. Most of all though, and this is an odd one, they actually remind me of SubSignal - it could be because I got this around same time as the new SubSignal album, but I do hear a bunch of similarities even if they are different beasts. The vocals flow in the same way that when I listen to Arno Menses from SubSignal, so perhaps that's why. It's really nice.

I won't go as far as "amazing", but it's VERY well done, well written and produced, with superb performances. The only issue I have with the album is the song order. the 3+ minute long intro and then a laid back 7-and-a-half minute tune is not really the way to kick this off - especially when you follow these up with some of the heaviest material of the album. It could have been arranged better.
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:02 am

I have some of their older stuff, but ultimately I wouldn't end up listening to this one because I just don't like those thin, reedy, high vocals very much.