Unprocessed - ...and everything in between

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Mardoch
Site Admin

Unprocessed - ...and everything in between

Post by Mardoch » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:32 pm

I think they accidentally released the whole thing on Bandcamp this morning when they meant to just load it for preorder with the single Thrash open, but I managed to get a full album stream in lol. It's really good. The production feels very weird to me (vocals buried, guitars WAY loud, kinda noisy, bass doesn't really punch), but the songs are all bangers.
https://unprocessed.bandcamp.com/album/ ... in-between

introclaus

Re: Unprocessed - ...and everything in between

Post by introclaus » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:54 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:32 pm
I think they accidentally released the whole thing on Bandcamp this morning when they meant to just load it for preorder with the single Thrash open, but I managed to get a full album stream in lol. It's really good. The production feels very weird to me (vocals buried, guitars WAY loud, kinda noisy, bass doesn't really punch), but the songs are all bangers.
https://unprocessed.bandcamp.com/album/ ... in-between
Interesting how labels or bands sometimes makes the “mistake” of making something available when it really shouldn’t. Almost feels like it’s on purpose sometimes … there was another band where same thing happened a few days ago :)

Unprocessed is an incredible band - their last album made me a huge fan so I can’t wait for the new one. I love the single and I don’t have a problem with the production on that one.
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:23 pm

I still don't understand why they needed to put a blanket of distortion over almost everything (especially the vocals), but the album's really good all the same.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:26 am

Mardoch wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:23 pm
I still don't understand why they needed to put a blanket of distortion over almost everything (especially the vocals), but the album's really good all the same.
I love love love the album ... absolutely incredible. I will admit, after getting the entire album, that there does seem to be something odd going on with the production. It is like you describe it "a blanket of distortion", which is such a shame. It's very difficult getting this super clean "Polyphia/Plini style" to sound heavy, and it seems like they wanted to add that "djent" wall of sound on top. It doesn't really work production-wise, but I am able to see past that when the music is this fantastic.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:19 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:26 am
Mardoch wrote:
I love love love the album ... absolutely incredible. I will admit, after getting the entire album, that there does seem to be something odd going on with the production. It is like you describe it "a blanket of distortion", which is such a shame. It's very difficult getting this super clean "Polyphia/Plini style" to sound heavy, and it seems like they wanted to add that "djent" wall of sound on top. It doesn't really work production-wise, but I am able to see past that when the music is this fantastic.
I’ve been listening to the album non-stop today. Took it out for a run on headphones, sat down in front of computer and listened through that, went for a drive and listened there, listened through my speakers in the bedroom, and now listening to it on my main stereo in my music/bar room. Basically, I’ve listened to it in multiple different situations and I think I have a pretty good idea of what this is all about … I know this morning (after the first three spins) that I wasn’t too hooked on the production, but honestly, it really makes more sense now.
It’s like the band decided to go for this ultra bottom heavy sound, even though it adds a lot of distortion to the overall picture - I feel like it matches the music and the lyrics and provides the backbone for what’s going on. If this has been a soft and clean production, the heaviness and the chaos wouldn’t have come across as it does now.

This album … wow … I’m almost at a loss for words.

Tech-metal album of the year?
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:55 am

introclaus wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:19 pm
introclaus wrote:
Mardoch wrote:
I’ve been listening to the album non-stop today. Took it out for a run on headphones, sat down in front of computer and listened through that, went for a drive and listened there, listened through my speakers in the bedroom, and now listening to it on my main stereo in my music/bar room. Basically, I’ve listened to it in multiple different situations and I think I have a pretty good idea of what this is all about … I know this morning (after the first three spins) that I wasn’t too hooked on the production, but honestly, it really makes more sense now.
It’s like the band decided to go for this ultra bottom heavy sound, even though it adds a lot of distortion to the overall picture - I feel like it matches the music and the lyrics and provides the backbone for what’s going on. If this has been a soft and clean production, the heaviness and the chaos wouldn’t have come across as it does now.

I think I am starting to agree with you. The more spins the less the production annoys me. I don't think I'll ever love some of these choices, but the album itself is so fucking good the annoyance just fades to the back.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:56 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:55 am
introclaus wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:19 pm
introclaus wrote:

I think I am starting to agree with you. The more spins the less the production annoys me. I don't think I'll ever love some of these choices, but the album itself is so fucking good the annoyance just fades to the back.
I have two problems with the album, and the production isn't one of them ...

1) It's too short!
2) Why the heck are some labels so stupid that they can't figure out that if you preorder and album through iTunes, you'll get the singles one-by-one, but when you then get the rest of the album, the singles aren't included? It makes a short album even shorter. And I don't have an option to "merge" them, nor do I have an option to purchase those three songs again. So stupid!!! This means I'm not able to listen to the album in the order the band intended it to through iTunes.
Claus Jensen