Aussie Neo-prog week

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

introclaus

Aussie Neo-prog week

Post by introclaus » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:19 am

New album from Unitopia and new album from Southern Empire all within one week … damn! Sean Timms (keyboardist etc in both bands) is really keeping himself busy.

I haven’t gotten around to listen to Unitopia yet (for some reason I never really got into their past releases) but the new SG that came out today is absolute killer after one listen. They’ve got a new vocalist and it was a bit of a shock as his voice is quite a bit different. I guess the closest comparison I can give is a young Ted Leonard… musically it’s SG as we’ve become accustomed to from the first two masterpieces. Brilliant neo-prog.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Aussie Neo-prog week

Post by LarryD » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:59 pm

introclaus wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:19 am
New album from Unitopia and new album from Southern Empire all within one week … damn! Sean Timms (keyboardist etc in both bands) is really keeping himself busy.

I haven’t gotten around to listen to Unitopia yet (for some reason I never really got into their past releases) but the new SG that came out today is absolute killer after one listen. They’ve got a new vocalist and it was a bit of a shock as his voice is quite a bit different. I guess the closest comparison I can give is a young Ted Leonard… musically it’s SG as we’ve become accustomed to from the first two masterpieces. Brilliant neo-prog.
***Would you say that you prefer the previous singer to this one ? I was about to pull the plug when I read your post ........

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:26 pm

LarryD wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:59 pm
introclaus wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:19 am

***Would you say that you prefer the previous singer to this one ? I was about to pull the plug when I read your post ........
I really like ‘em both.

The old one was more “aggressive/direct” in his singing style - quite insistent in the way he sang … more like he was constantly pushing out the words. I love his voice for sure.

This new one is probably more on the soft side (I know you love Mystery and he kind of reminds me of the singer from that band as well), and has a “younger” or “more modern” style of singing. He is super talented and apparently was on Australian “The Voice” and even did a duet with Keith Urban, so no denying that he can sing.

If I was to guess, based on what I know about your neo-prog taste, I think you’ll probably love the new guy more than the old one once you get past the shock of a new voice fronting the band. This one is more up your alley.

https://youtu.be/uNeB-i-KP1w?si=zLAK6pn2ag3MKQz_
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:14 am

Finally found time to listen to the Unitopia album. First time I actually really like their music - in fact, this is VERY good. Has a bit of everything, from Arena to Saga, from Alan Parsons to Pink Floyd, from world music to jazz ... quite proggy, symphonic, big melodies and great orchestrations. Use of several different instruments (including flute, violins, mandolins, etc.).

https://youtu.be/4-O13et1n9c?si=-vtGuqM-V1MNdDEv

https://youtu.be/7V4ZyEHG7UA?si=GSjKxCofqznd6peq
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:50 pm

introclaus wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:14 am
Finally found time to listen to the Unitopia album. First time I actually really like their music - in fact, this is VERY good. Has a bit of everything, from Arena to Saga, from Alan Parsons to Pink Floyd, from world music to jazz ... quite proggy, symphonic, big melodies and great orchestrations. Use of several different instruments (including flute, violins, mandolins, etc.).

https://youtu.be/4-O13et1n9c?si=-vtGuqM-V1MNdDEv

https://youtu.be/7V4ZyEHG7UA?si=GSjKxCofqznd6peq
****Stunning. I love this ....... the disc that Arena should have made ...... ;o) I'm ordering .........