Winger - Seven

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

GaetanL

Winger - Seven

Post by GaetanL » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:13 pm

No surprise in the style and no surprise in the quality as it is another quality album from this band!
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

introclaus

Re: Winger - Seven

Post by introclaus » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:55 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:13 pm
No surprise in the style and no surprise in the quality as it is another quality album from this band!
Yes it’s a brilliant album. I can’t say anything bad about it and in a lot of ways I like it even more than most anything after their first two (which is saying a lot as I am a fan of all their discs) but if I have to pick on anything it might miss a clear hit single such as. “Supernova” (from “Karma”), “Spell I’m under” (from •Pull”) or anything pretty much from the first two…
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:45 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:55 pm
GaetanL wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:13 pm
Yes it’s a brilliant album. I can’t say anything bad about it and in a lot of ways I like it even more than most anything after their first two (which is saying a lot as I am a fan of all their discs) but if I have to pick on anything it might miss a clear hit single such as. “Supernova” (from “Karma”), “Spell I’m under” (from •Pull”) or anything pretty much from the first two…
I feel bad for Winger. They got such a bad rap on that show Bevis and Butthead always making fun of them...
On a side note, Claus what are your thoughts on that band Eclipse? Normally I'm not big on hard rock, but man they write some of the most catchiest toons out there, and they probably have one of the smoothest rock vocalists I've ever heard! I'm actually quite shocked they aren't more popular than they are. Maybe it's because of the times and they sound a big more 80s, but good is good....

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:25 am

"Seven" is of course another amazingly solid album. They don't put out new stuff often, but when they do its QUALITY. I think I prefer "Better Days" by a nose, but this is right there with it.
On a side note, Claus what are your thoughts on that band Eclipse? Normally I'm not big on hard rock, but man they write some of the most catchiest toons out there, and they probably have one of the smoothest rock vocalists I've ever heard! I'm actually quite shocked they aren't more popular than they are. Maybe it's because of the times and they sound a big more 80s, but good is good....
I'm not Claus, but I do love me some Eclipse. My only complaint is the last album or two started to feel a bit samey, maybe a bit phoned in? I'm hoping this next one sounds a bit rejuvenated.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:04 pm

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:45 pm
I own probably half of their albums, perhaps more. I like them for what they are, which is very simplistic party rock, that you can listen to in the car with windows down, and at loud volume. They are quite one-dimensional, and I think there's a lot of other bands in the same genre I like much more (WET is a good example, even though the main guy is the same, Crowne is another band with similar sound but done much better in my opinion). The last album was very boring in my opinion, and the three songs I've heard from upcoming album aren't any good, so I doubt I'll spend more time on checking it out.

(waiting on Guillaume to come rip me a new one)
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:24 pm

introclaus wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:04 pm
prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:45 pm
I own probably half of their albums, perhaps more. I like them for what they are, which is very simplistic party rock, that you can listen to in the car with windows down, and at loud volume. They are quite one-dimensional, and I think there's a lot of other bands in the same genre I like much more (WET is a good example, even though the main guy is the same, Crowne is another band with similar sound but done much better in my opinion). The last album was very boring in my opinion, and the three songs I've heard from upcoming album aren't any good, so I doubt I'll spend more time on checking it out.

(waiting on Guillaume to come rip me a new one)

I don't know about their last 2, but I do know that Bleed and Scream is an awesome CD. I hear they also sound phenomenal live....Not sure I agree with the party rock definition though. I think bands like Warrant and Bon Jovi fit that definition much more. But that's a bit more subjective I guess.. Their lyrics seem a bit more serous.

I've been branching out on music more. Really into the female trio "The Warning" I've followed their story and it's quite amazing that those gals were doing an enter sandman cover when in their pre-teen and early teen years and now as young adults they are touring with Muse. So cool to see more woman getting into rock and not the constant pop crap we are bombarded with on the radio. I actually saw "The Warning" at the aftershock festival here in Sacramento last summer and they were amazing live. Even some of the craziest Metal fans were into them and cheering them on. Even if one isn't into their Rock style of music, they are almost impossible to not like Live and just the sweetest gals.