Angra - Cycles of Pain...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

Angra - Cycles of Pain...

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:11 pm

New track from the upcoming November 3rd release. Typical song, but still a quality tune as always.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64YSuGo_QKQ

outprogged42

Re: Angra - Cycles of Pain...

Post by outprogged42 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:32 am

I finally heard this over the weekend. I like it more than OMNI which I considered one of their weakest albums and lacking distinction from others. It brings back a large portion of prog elements while combining the newfound heaviness in the Lione era and keeping some Brazilian folk elements going particularly in two of the songs. Fabio is on fire throughout the album, sounding a lot like Edu in the more up-tempo songs and shades of Bruce Dickinson, with a conviction that helps sell the lyrical delivery. The balladic "Here in the Now" is a beautiful exploration of the themes of the album about pain and its purpose to help us let go and make positive changes, which makes it more relatable of an album as well. "Faithless Sanctuary" is a particularly incredible track that has absolutely everything. But "Ride Into the Storm" is a killer power metal tune that shows Angra can still play that style well.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:54 am

I finally heard this over the weekend. I like it more than OMNI which I considered one of their weakest albums and lacking distinction from others. It brings back a large portion of prog elements while combining the newfound heaviness in the Lione era and keeping some Brazilian folk elements going particularly in two of the songs. Fabio is on fire throughout the album, sounding a lot like Edu in the more up-tempo songs and shades of Bruce Dickinson, with a conviction that helps sell the lyrical delivery. The balladic "Here in the Now" is a beautiful exploration of the themes of the album about pain and its purpose to help us let go and make positive changes, which makes it more relatable of an album as well. "Faithless Sanctuary" is a particularly incredible track that has absolutely everything. But "Ride Into the Storm" is a killer power metal tune that shows Angra can still play that style well.
You have me intrigued now..... I have it in the pile to listen to soon..... I have not been a huge fan of any of the Fabio albums, as they just don't sound like ANGRA anymore, so excited to hear your positive thoughts,.....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

outprogged42

Post by outprogged42 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:39 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:54 am
You have me intrigued now..... I have it in the pile to listen to soon..... I have not been a huge fan of any of the Fabio albums, as they just don't sound like ANGRA anymore, so excited to hear your positive thoughts,.....
I definitely get that. Although I absolutely love Secret Garden for its emotionally wrenching narrative and dark atmosphere, it doesn't feel very similar to past albums. If you do end up enjoying this, maybe give that disc one more shot. I do find myself listening to the first two Angra albums most often, though.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:06 am

Although I absolutely love Secret Garden for its emotionally wrenching narrative and dark atmosphere, it doesn't feel very similar to past albums. If you do end up enjoying this, maybe give that disc one more shot.
I love Secret Garden although it's different for Angra. I feel like 3/4 if it could be from a lost Dreamscape release.