Voyager - Fearless in Love

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Mardoch
Site Admin

Voyager - Fearless in Love

Post by Mardoch » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:22 pm

https://voyager.bandcamp.com/album/fearless-in-love

It's basically exactly what we knew to expect from the singles and Voyager's general trajectory. Tons of synths, smashing riffs, frenetic drums. I love what they're selling so I'm very happy with it. I'm pretty sure Ultraviolet is the darkest tune they've ever put out. Even when they had heavy subjects before the music was always bright, but not so with Ultraviolet, which is really cool to hear.

Norén

Re: Voyager - Fearless in Love

Post by Norén » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:24 pm

Great album!
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

EmptyThoughts

Post by EmptyThoughts » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:49 pm

Huge disappointment for me 🥱. Where are the metal elements to this?? This just sounds like a Pop album with guitars buried in the mix. BTW, there is nothing Progressive with this album with songs in the 2-3 minute range. Good luck to them.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:01 am

I'm on the fence with all of these comments ..... I like it, but I don't. As others said above, it seems as though the metal has been stripped away from the corer sound of the band, and there is too much poppy / electronica going for my ears. They just backed off on the power of the guitars this time for some reason.... I love Danny's vocals on this one, and the keyboards are produced nicely in the mix .......overall, it is a very good sounding disc - there is just something missing for me.

Truth be told - the last bluray show they released was destined to be my last Voyager purchase ..... I've got all that I need, but for some reason I just couldn't help myself from grabbing this one ..... I'm not sorry I did, it's just a little too "mainstream" by Voyager standards to keep me coming back .......

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:27 am

I really don't hear what y'all who are saying the heaviness is missing are hearing. I am left wondering if we got the same mixes, even. Also regarding the lack of Proper Prog, that's never been Voyager's thing anyway. Their longest song doesn't breach 7 minutes, but there's still more technicality than most Proper Prog bands I've heard lately...and most importantly, more interesting movement.