Darkwater re-masters .......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Darkwater re-masters .......

Post by LarryD » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:54 am

Darkwater has re-mastered 2 of the 3 of their discs .........

Calling the Earth to Witness, and Where Stories End have been re=mastered by Jacob Hansen ....... I wasn't exactly thrilled with that prospect, considering I don't care for Jacob Hansen recordings to begin with .... however, Where Stories End and Human badly needed it .......

Thinking that all three discs were re=mastered, I went on over to The Lasers Edge and found Calling and Where Stories there .... and only grabbed Where Stories to get an idea of how it would sound ..... I could not find Human - anywhere, and then it dawned on me that it was not only released in 2019, but it was actually recorded by Jacob Hansen so that one ( of course its my favorite DW disc) would not have been re-mastered.... the first two were not recorded by Jacob originally, so he took them on ....

Where Stories End does sound much better than the original ..... the vocals are more out front and clearer, the keyboards are clearer, and there is more separation in the mix itself.....Calling already sounded good to begin with, but I'll be grabbing it anyway ........just because.

Human - my fav Darkwater, is in need of a re-master as Jacob's recording is just a wall of sound, as most of his are .......but alas, it's not in the cards.

Definitely a must for Darkwater fans ......

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Darkwater re-masters .......

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:11 am

Only thing I ask of Darkwater is to put something NEW out....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:50 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:11 am
Only thing I ask of Darkwater is to put something NEW out....
***Apparently they are working on it ....or going to. I won't hold my breath, but these guys all have day jobs and can't find the time to put out a new disc ......so hopefully, some day that will happen......

By then - maybe someone will want to re-master HUMAN ....... :wink:

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:20 am

I would also love new Darkwater. Not sure how interested I am in forking over for remasters though, to be honest. Especially since some of the recent remasters have sounded virtually identical to my crappy ears.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:10 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:20 am
I would also love new Darkwater. Not sure how interested I am in forking over for remasters though, to be honest. Especially since some of the recent remasters have sounded virtually identical to my crappy ears.
****When it comes to certain bands - especially ones I love like Darkwater, and those discs that aren't produced very well ( cough cough ) ..... I always welcome a re-master.
If someone re-mastered the Symphony X discs - I'd buy every single one all over again ........ that's how I see it when it comes to re-masters. It's all about how well you like a band, and what they sound like originally ........in our genre, most discs sound like shit - ( Claus stay out of this ) .... so grabbing a re-master can only be a good thing..... :wink: