Bands that called it Quits

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

prog_powermetal99

Bands that called it Quits

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:17 am

Other than bands like Shadow Gallery, Circus Maximus, Pagans Mind and Tomorrow's Eve that called it quits....Are there any other bands that also called it quits?

Mardoch
Site Admin

Re: Bands that called it Quits

Post by Mardoch » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:32 am

I distinctly remember when Oceans of Sadness did. It wasn't too long after they played PPUSA. Textures has, much to my continuing sadness. There are a ton of them, really, but not many are immediately jumping to mind.

devomeister

Post by devomeister » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:07 am

You mean bands that made an official "We're calling it a day" announcement and not ones that just kind of stopped? A few that come to mind that hurt for me...

Twelve Foot Ninja- They tried to make a go of it after the singer left, but ultimately decided to disband
Fair to Midland- Had their equipment stolen while on tour and said "fuck it, we're done" This one especially hurts my soul.
Arcane- I dunno if they broke up because of Jim Grey needing to spend more time with Caligula's Horse or if it was just time. Still disappointing.
Check out my professional portfolio:
https://chris_devo.artstation.com/

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:20 pm

devomeister wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:07 am
You mean bands that made an official "We're calling it a day" announcement and not ones that just kind of stopped? A few that come to mind that hurt for me...

Twelve Foot Ninja- They tried to make a go of it after the singer left, but ultimately decided to disband
Fair to Midland- Had their equipment stolen while on tour and said "fuck it, we're done" This one especially hurts my soul.
Arcane- I dunno if they broke up because of Jim Grey needing to spend more time with Caligula's Horse or if it was just time. Still disappointing.

Well on the bands I mentioned I don't think they have made it official. But most of us know they aren't coming out with anything anymore. When bands have been silent for like 8 years plus, unless they can prove otherwise, they are done.........

venidominefan

Post by venidominefan » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:54 pm

A couple that come to mind:

Veni Domine
Dreamscape
This is your brain on guitar...
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >
Spotify >

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:37 pm

Veni Domine
Dreamscape
Two of my absolute favorites. Such a shame. :(

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:37 am

devomeister wrote:
Oh, damn, didn't know that one.

I'm still sad about Dreamscape myself, too.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:16 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:37 am
devomeister wrote:

I agree. What I don't get is those bands that quit silently... I mean, why don't some bands ever let the fans know that they are calling it quits instead of just going silent and just disappearing into oblivion? Pagan's Mind and Circus Maximus are 2 examples of this.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:55 pm

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:16 pm
Mardoch wrote:
devomeister wrote:

I agree. What I don't get is those bands that quit silently... I mean, why don't some bands ever let the fans know that they are calling it quits instead of just going silent and just disappearing into oblivion? Pagan's Mind and Circus Maximus are 2 examples of this.
Perhaps they aren't "done", but just focusing on other aspects of their lives? Families, jobs, that kind of stuff - it takes a toll on anyone in this day and age doing music and having a regular life as well. None of the bands mentioned in this thread are able to do music for a living, so it makes sense that they have other priorities, and when/if they get time and $$$ to record and release new music they will, at which point it would have been plain stupid having gone out and announced they were done (as that would stop all speculations and discussions, which as we see by this thread is what keep their name hot and alive).
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:48 pm

introclaus wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:55 pm
prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:16 pm
Mardoch wrote:

Perhaps they aren't "done", but just focusing on other aspects of their lives? Families, jobs, that kind of stuff - it takes a toll on anyone in this day and age doing music and having a regular life as well. None of the bands mentioned in this thread are able to do music for a living, so it makes sense that they have other priorities, and when/if they get time and $$$ to record and release new music they will, at which point it would have been plain stupid having gone out and announced they were done (as that would stop all speculations and discussions, which as we see by this thread is what keep their name hot and alive).
Actually regarding Pagan's Mind. someone mentioned earlier that Nils had mentioned it in a conversation a couple of times on a metal forum that the band was done as it was just too hard for them to all get together and record. So the decision has been made. I mean their last album was 2011, so I figured they were done, but it would be nice to have an official announcement like most bands to as opposed to a mention on a forum.

But I understand where you are coming from Claus. It's just the "silence" that gets me. You would think that they would say, "we aren't sure yet" or "we are done" or "we aren't done". Again, the absolute complete silence is just a pet peeve of mine. They need to know they have tons of fans that care about them and are curious what's going on, even if it's just to say "we aren't sure yet"

Not saying you are wrong at all, but everyone has pet peeves :) as insignificant as they might be.

Norén

Post by Norén » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:10 pm

devomeister wrote:
Yes, that's the hardest one for me as well. Such a fantastic band that was.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com