Cradle of Filth suggestions?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Ghost Wind

Cradle of Filth suggestions?

Post by Ghost Wind » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:39 pm

Hey all,

Please give me some suggestions/info where to start with this band. They are new to me but recently watched a reaction vid to their new single, “She Is A Fire.” I absolutely love the song! That melodic riff and the keys when it’s faster paced. So cool. To me, it’s pretty catchy stuff and love that scream thing he does occasionally. It looks like they have a pretty lengthy discography, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/fGrxKLsgidg

introclaus

Re: Cradle of Filth suggestions?

Post by introclaus » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:18 pm

Ghost Wind wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:39 pm
Hey all,

Please give me some suggestions/info where to start with this band. They are new to me but recently watched a reaction vid to their new single, “She Is A Fire.” I absolutely love the song! That melodic riff and the keys when it’s faster paced. So cool. To me, it’s pretty catchy stuff and love that scream thing he does occasionally. It looks like they have a pretty lengthy discography, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/fGrxKLsgidg
I’ve posted about them here a few times but with little luck in terms of getting any reaction … probably not the right forum for them I guess lol :)

My history with CoF goes back to their debut - was a huge fan of the first 3 albums (plus EP) then drifted off a bit - found them a few albums later, just to loose touch for another few years before once again falling in love with their music.

Period one (second wave symphonic black):
- Dusk and her embrace
- Cruelty and the beast

Period two (more thrashy symphonic black)
- Thornography (even if people seem to hate this one, I love it, and their best song ever is from this one - “Tonight in flames”)
- Godspeed on the devils thunder

Period three (gothic symphonic melody overload)
- Hammer of the witches
- Cryptoriana
- Existence is futile

Those would be my favorites …
Claus Jensen

Ghost Wind

Post by Ghost Wind » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:49 pm

Thank you for the info. I will look into those.

BumZen

Post by BumZen » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:02 am

I had a hard time getting in to Cradle of Filth, but the curtain finally dropped for me with Existence is Futile, and then went back and realised I enjoyed the older albums as well.

I really like these ones:
Existence is Futile
Hammer of the Witches
Nymphetamine
Cruelty and the Beast
Skambamse

Rycher

Post by Rycher » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:50 pm

BumZen wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:02 am
I had a hard time getting in to Cradle of Filth, but the curtain finally dropped for me with Existence is Futile, and then went back and realised I enjoyed the older albums as well.

I really like these ones:
Existence is Futile
Hammer of the Witches
Nymphetamine
Cruelty and the Beast
Those are probably the four records of theirs that I play the most, especially Hammer of the Witches. Midian is up there too.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:32 am

Just go check out "Tonight in Flames" from THORNOGRAPHY. This is my favorite CoF tune ... it's thrashy, it has melodic black metal influences, it has the goth and symphonic atmosphere ... and most of all, it reminds me of the British thrash band Sabbat, which I love:

Claus Jensen