Stone Fury & Kingdom Come

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

GaetanL

Stone Fury & Kingdom Come

Post by GaetanL » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:41 pm

I had only the Kingdom Come S/T album (1988).

I recently discovered the band Stone Fury. This is the previous band of the Kingdom Come singer Lenny Wolf. Their first album "Burns Like A Star" (1984) is excellent! To me this is better than Kingdom Come!

Nevertheless, I did a little Kingdom Come update and bought "In Your Face" (1989) and "Hands Of Time" (1991). So far, "In Your Face" is a nice surprise and it is better to me than the S/T album. I have not received yet "Hands Of Time". Anything interessting after the first 3 Kingdom Come albums?

By the way, the second Stone Fury album "Let Them Talk" (1986) is disapointing. They are turning hard rock into pop...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Stone Fury & Kingdom Come

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:15 am

Nevertheless, I did a little Kingdom Come update and bought "In Your Face" (1989) and "Hands Of Time" (1991). So far, "In Your Face" is a nice surprise and it is better to me than the S/T album. I have not received yet "Hands Of Time". Anything interessting after the first 3 Kingdom Come albums?
Heck yes!!!! They (well, Lenny, as the rest of the band comes and goes) have a number of really good albums that went completely unheard in the US. Personally, their fourth album (Bad Image) is probably my favorite of all their albums, but honestly.... They were pretty consistently good throughout their career. Lenny has since retired, so last release was around 2013 or so.

Definitely keep going through his discography.... Solid stuff! (Funny timing, too, as I JUST had "Bad Image" playing in the car on Saturday!)
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

MitchG

Post by MitchG » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:32 pm

Man, I love Stone Fury and Lenny's voice so much. They only put out two albums...the second, Let Them Talk, is definitely some melodic cheese but I love the hell out of it (it was a favorite of Rifkin's as well...we didn't always see eye-to-eye, but on Stone Fury we did). The later Kingdom Come stuff trended more in that melodic direction (definitely not the Zep influences of the early KC material). I didn't really keep up with them a lot over the years, but Bad Image and Twilight Cruiser are definitely worth getting.
-MG
"This day is overrated now that I'm awake"

dspot

Post by dspot » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:46 am

In your Face is good and much better than the debut IMHO. But it's also the last with the original line up and that style (more American hard rock/hair metal influences). Starting with Hands of Time, Lenny takes over entirely and shifts the sound to a more melodic hard rock/metal that's less bluesy and more keyboard driven. Really well done and there are several really good albums in their catalog, definitely worth checking out. Just wanted to offer that distinction as you navigate through the discography.

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:23 pm

Following your good words, I decided to continue.

From the S/T (1988) to "Too" (2000): "In Your Face" (1989) is excellent. "Bad Image" (1993) is excellent. "Twilight Cruiser" (1995) is very good / excellent. The other albums from that area are very good. Thanks so much for your feedback. Totally worth it!

From "Independent" (2002) to "Outlier" (2013): It's not classic hard rock anymore. I don't like much.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net