Anima One by Gunter Werno (Vanden Plas) - Symphonic Concert

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Anima One by Gunter Werno (Vanden Plas) - Symphonic Concert

Post by LarryD » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:50 pm

Gunter Werno - keyboard player for Vanden Plas, releases a CD / DVD combo package for his ( 3 ) Movement symphony concert. Complete with what looks like a 50-60 piece orchestra, all the members of Vanden Plas, he puts on a stunning show for Classical Music enthusiasts. If you had any doubts about good the VP guys were musically, you only need to watch this thing. I knew they were all awesome, but watching this gave me much more appreciation as to how musically talented they are.....

If you don't like Classical music, then stay clear of this, but I have to say that throughout the show, I hear VP riffs all over the place ..... I guess he does that to keep the VP fans interested along the way .... in fact, as soon as the show was over, I pulled out Chronicles of the Immortals Part 1 and sure enough, I hear riffs all over the place from this disc in the show..... Gunter is a serious keyboard player - jumping back and forth between standard piano and Hammond organ. I have not yet seen the part where Andy sings but he gets credit for "voices" and I wonder if he is just part of the choir .....

Superb show -- super talented players, as are the orchestra, who have to keep up with his Vanden Plas-style progressive riffs and they do a fantastic job. Nice surprise from Gunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwqmfx22YSs

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Anima One by Gunter Werno (Vanden Plas) - Symphonic Concert

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:34 pm

On a related note, I was listening to All My Shadows again yesterday, and thinking that is the best Vanden Plas disc since "Seraphic Clockwork"! :)
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

outprogged42

Post by outprogged42 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:27 am

I'd like to hear this sometime soon. Werno's keyboard playing was always distinct and he'll be missed in Vanden Plas (yes, he recently quit), but stuff like this will ensure we hear plenty of him in the same context.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:03 am

Werno's keyboard playing was always distinct and he'll be missed in Vanden Plas (yes, he recently quit),
Wait, WHAT?!?!?

outprogged42

Post by outprogged42 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:30 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:03 am
Werno's keyboard playing was always distinct and he'll be missed in Vanden Plas (yes, he recently quit),
Wait, WHAT?!?!?
It was only this January. I'm suspecting they might bring on one of the keyboardists they've worked with, possibly even Markus Teske from the All My Shadows album. Vanden Plas will continue. https://www.facebook.com/VandenPlasOffi ... tQ37prPGMl

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:34 am

It was only this January. I'm suspecting they might bring on one of the keyboardists they've worked with, possibly even Markus Teske from the All My Shadows album. Vanden Plas will continue. https://www.facebook.com/VandenPlasOffi ... tQ37prPGMl
Don't know how I missed that as I follow them on FB also.... Shocking, given how long they have had a steady lineup. It's just unheard of to go THAT LONG without a change in roster. Glad to see he's still on good terms with the rest of the band, and will be interested to see how (if at all) this changes the VP sound. Wouldn't mind at all hearing more in the All My Shadows vein.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:44 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:34 pm
On a related note, I was listening to All My Shadows again yesterday, and thinking that is the best Vanden Plas disc since "Seraphic Clockwork"! :)
I haven't gotten around to the Anima One album yet, but All My Shadows is incredibly boring in my opinion. I like Vanden Plas quite a lot, but their "hard rock" (basically it's melodic heavy metal, but who is to decide what to call things...) venture bores me to sleep. The song "Farewell" is not a ballad, it's a lullaby. I tried, really, I tried.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:33 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:44 pm
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:34 pm
I haven't gotten around to the Anima One album yet, but All My Shadows is incredibly boring in my opinion. I like Vanden Plas quite a lot, but their "hard rock" (basically it's melodic heavy metal, but who is to decide what to call things...) venture bores me to sleep. The song "Farewell" is not a ballad, it's a lullaby. I tried, really, I tried.
I finally find time last night to listen to Anima One, and that was even more boring that All My Shadows. Holy crap ... lol, sorry to all those who love those albums, but neither did anything for me.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:34 am

I finally find time last night to listen to Anima One, and that was even more boring that All My Shadows. Holy crap ... lol, sorry to all those who love those albums, but neither did anything for me.

***I had no doubt that this was going to happen ........ :wink:

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:10 am

LarryD wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:34 am

***I had no doubt that this was going to happen ........ :wink:
And you were completely correct in that assessment :)
Claus Jensen