2023 has been slooooowwwwww

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Random Axe

2023 has been slooooowwwwww

Post by Random Axe » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:26 pm

It may be a mood thing, but I just haven't heard much that I'm into at all this year. Where did all the great singers go? I know styles and influences change as we get older, but damn. There are no more Tate, Alder, Khan, Karevik or anyone with voice distinction or character. I think that phase of my musical life is pretty much over. So here's three albums that actually caught my attention this year so far.

Mistborne/Cradle of Time - Way more prog rock than metal, these Irish proggers have put together a smooth, immersive work that leans heavily on the symphonic side. Reminds me quite a bit of Odd Logic with some Ghost Opera flavorings.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ns8YR_dWTyQ ... IECMiOmarE

Time Wolf/Observer Bias - Probably my favorite so far this year. Musically similar the the above mentioned band Mistborne, but this one is slightly heavier. I think fans of Cloakwheel and Hephystus(yeah those a deep call-backs) would like this. The vocalist is more of a lower tenor like those aforementioned bands. Really strong stuff from the USA. BTW, I love the band name. It's so awful its fantastic.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aJFqUb7ZNwE ... IECMiOmarE

Enigma Division - Pretty cool, slightly djenty stuff that's like mixing Tales from the Fuselage/Shattered Skies and recent Evergrey riffage. If the vocals were up to the level of the music this would be a frontrunner for album of year.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=XYkz8fr9pTA ... IECMiOmarE

That's about it, guys. I haven't heard much else that's been able to hold my attention.

introclaus

Re: 2023 has been slooooowwwwww

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:44 am

Random Axe wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:26 pm
It may be a mood thing, but I just haven't heard much that I'm into at all this year.
Sorry to hear nothing has hit you yet this year. For me there's been a lot of great stuff, and I know a lot more is on the horizon.

Katatonia's new one is a clear winner of the year - I have listened to it way over 100 times by now ...
I love the debut album from Hollow Hour.
The new albums from Riverside, Ahab, Black Star Riders, Ten, Robin McAuley, Steel Panther, To the Grave, In Flames, Delain and The Abbey are all really really good.
Surprise of the year so far for me is Host - I had not imagined that Gregor and Nick had it in them to take the Depeche Mode'ish style of Paradise Lost and update it to 2023 sound, but damn if it doesn't work.
Random Axe wrote:
So here's three albums that actually caught my attention this year so far.
Mistborne/Cradle of Time
Time Wolf/Observer Bias
Enigma Division
I haven't heard any of those, but I'll check them out.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:24 am

Random Axe wrote:
Mistborne/Cradle of Time - Way more prog rock than metal, these Irish proggers have put together a smooth, immersive work that leans heavily on the symphonic side. Reminds me quite a bit of Odd Logic with some Ghost Opera flavorings.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ns8YR_dWTyQ ... IECMiOmarE
Finally listened to this one and what a great surprise. Really awesome find!

A few corrections to what you wrote:
UK (not Irish) band from London
2022 (not 2023) release

Symphonic prog metal with some prog rock leanings but also some power metal ideas thrown in. Great theatrical vocals (reminds me of Poverty’s no Crime / Vanden Plas in the vocal aspect), lots of middle eastern themes (think Ostura, Myrath), superb guitar solos, lots of soft piano/vocal only interludes, nice use of violin in multiple places throughout, and a solid production (for a self financed disc). Thematically it’s a concept album about civilization changing over time.

Fans of Ostura, Kamelot, Myrath, Poverty’s No Crime should be all over this one … Larry, are you paying attention?

https://mistborneofficial.bandcamp.com/ ... time-album
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:06 am

A few corrections to what you wrote:
UK (not Irish) band from London
2022 (not 2023) release

Symphonic prog metal with some prog rock leanings but also some power metal ideas thrown in. Great theatrical vocals (reminds me of Poverty’s no Crime / Vanden Plas in the vocal aspect), lots of middle eastern themes (think Ostura, Myrath), superb guitar solos, lots of soft piano/vocal only interludes, nice use of violin in multiple places throughout, and a solid production (for a self financed disc). Thematically it’s a concept album about civilization changing over time.

Fans of Ostura, Kamelot, Myrath, Poverty’s No Crime should be all over this one … Larry, are you paying attention?

https://mistborneofficial.bandcamp.com/ ... time-album

****I played the first video, and liked it ...... I then played AWAKE, another video and absloutely loved it ......... great find !!!!!!!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:12 am

The rest of the Mistborne disc is excellent !!!! Purchased !!!!!! Damn this really emotional / melodic stuff .........

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:30 pm

I'm normally good for one or two good recommendations a year.

Yeah, these guys are pretty awesome.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:32 am

The rest of the Mistborne disc is excellent !!!! Purchased !!!!!! Damn this really emotional / melodic stuff .........
Reminds me a bit of Damnation Angels.

Definitely enjoying this.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:55 pm

Mistborne does sound interesting. 8)

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:11 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Enigma Division - Pretty cool, slightly djenty stuff that's like mixing Tales from the Fuselage/Shattered Skies and recent Evergrey riffage. If the vocals were up to the level of the music this would be a frontrunner for album of year.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=XYkz8fr9pTA ... IECMiOmarE
Whew, I feel like a dummy. I totally missed you mentioned these folks in this post when I started that thread.

Psychotic Symphony

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:06 am

Time Wolf sounds quite similar to Everthrone to my ears. Very good!
So -that's- where the humidifier went.