Favorite discs of 2022 sticky post.......(year end lists).

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Favorite discs of 2022 sticky post.......(year end lists).

Post by LarryD » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:37 am

If we can, let's post all of your lists into this thread so we can read all of them from a single post......... I've made it a sticky to keep it on top to make it easier..... any lists already made down below I will try to merge them in here ....... Those like Glenn, Claus, Guillaume and any others who post gigantic lists can feel free to make their own list and I'll keep it as a sticky for a couple of months like we always do .......

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Favorite discs of 2022 sticky post.......(year end lists).

Post by LarryD » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:40 am

Mattias Noren :

If anyone cares. Here's mine:

1 - Major Parkinson – Valesa – Chapter 1: Velvet prison
2 - Wilderun – Epigone
3 - Ghost – Impera
4 - Tears for fears – The tipping point
5 - Lalu – Paint the sky
6 - PreHistoric animals – The magical mystery machine (Chapter two)
7 - xPropaganda – The heart is strange
8 - Devin Townsend – Lightwork
9 - Dim Gray - Firmament
10 - Joakim Berg – Jag fortsätter glömma

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:42 am

From Random Axe :

As I’ve done the past couple of years, I’m not ranking, just observations and musings. It was an odd year for me and some pretty significant employment and personal changes so maybe if these had been released in 2021 I’d feel different. I'm at work and couldn't add a music link for samples. This is rather lengthy but here it goes…

A-Z – What a great album with a shit band name and album cover. I was initially unimpressed with this as it wasn’t what I expected. But, with continued listens I appreciate it for what it is rather than what it is not. It really sounds like a Ray Alder solo album. Vocals are stellar as always. Probably my fav this year.

Preincarnation – Great, varied album. They show off many musical styles and influences throughout the 15 songs. However, that can also keep them from having a true identity. They’ve got prog rock/metal, AOR, some bluesy stuff. Singer is killing it here and reminds me of Jamie Rowe from Guardian in spots.

Speaking to Stones/Inhuman Error – Nice blend of the first two albums but quite uneven in the vocal department. He could have hired better. Overall pleasant but not overly thrilling. I absolutely adore Elements, so this was a little bit of a letdown.

Vass/Katsionis/Ethical Dilemma – Someone has been listening to their FW Inside Out album. Def has a Fates vibe and production. Bob Katsionis is in and produces a lot of power metal acts. Here he’s restrained and is outstanding. Billy Vass has a unique timbre to his voice, but slays this material.

Kings of Mercia – I know why this was recorded and it’s likely a one-off, but this fell so flat for me. It feels like there was an intentional dumbing down of the songs to take the prog elements out to better fit Overland. It feels awkward when Jim has anyone else singing his stuff outside of Ray and John. Not giving up on this but not really interested either.

Figure of Speechless/Tunnel at end of Light - Very underwhelming album. This is like tying to eat a fudge covered cabbage. They don’t go together AT ALL. These compositions are an absolute terrible match for Ray Alder’s vocals, and he feels a little off on this, so it was likely difficult to write for these songs. This is perhaps the only album he’s sung on I dislike. That says everything.

Ardarith/Home – Haven’t fully digested this as it’s pretty dense. So far it’s a really cool metal opera with a couple of singers, one of which is Rob Lundgren. He’s a youtube guy known for his covers. Total badass, actually. The music is heavy, riffy and poignant at times with some death growls here and there.

Ginevra/We Belong – Unsure what to think about this one. It feels like Magnus is out of ideas. He’s written so much material in the last decade these feel like leftover songs. Great singer though from Seventh Crystal. It’s Magnus so we pretty much know what to expect. Quality but forgettable.

Compass/Theory of Tides – Nice melodic prog rock with a good DeYoung-like singer. Nothing really stands out as superb, but it’s all quality, just lacking dynamic and character. They make the best of this but its a concept album about Galileo. Not the most exciting source material.

Sarayasign/Throne of Gold – I know Claus and Glenn dig this. I do to but I have a minor gripe. The songs are great, singing is godly with the dude sounding like a perfect marriage of Jorn and Soto. Sheer power. My problem is he starts almost every song with a whhoaa, yeah, ooohhhh. I know Soto does alot of that too. Outside of that this is amazing priggish heavy rock.

Fellowship/Sabrelight Chronicles – This is not really my genre, but I dig this. It’s like mixing Rhapsody with Ice Age. The singer is a higher tenor with medium power. Not your typical sound. These are some uplifting melodies, good mood metal. I doubt anyone else will dig this.

Threshold/Dividing Lines – This completely cements the fact these guys are just not for me. They have insane talent, but something throws them off for me. I’ve really tried to like them over the years. In fact, I own their entire discography as an attempt to force myself.

Dynazty/Final Advent – Same shit on repeat for four albums now. I keep waiting for them to turn a corner and try a little variety. Renatus was fantastic, but every one since is a carbon copy with different production. Nils is so much more talented than the rest of the band. I get it, they have an audience that brings in some revenue. After this, I’m no longer one of them.

All Things Fallen/Shadow Way – This has everything I normally would like but the vocalist just isn’t equal to the music. I love Marcus and his work with other bands but this is rough for me.

Guild of Others – What a great find. This is some fantastic prog rock that mixes it up just the right amount. They have Henrick Bath and Mike Sadler guesting. The overall vibe of the album is a modern day version of some of the Wooden Nickel Styx albums. Highly recommended.

Seventh Wonder/Testament – I wanted to like this so much. Tommy is a vocal deity so I’ll buy anything he works on. This is just... okay. There’s no edge to it, no urgency and little energy. The dynamics we heard on Great Escape are gone. Maybe it’s the label they’re on, maybe Tommy lost his progginess working with Kamelot. I like this but I wanted to love it.

JLT/Belly of Beast – Hadn’t had a lot of time with this but it’s very solid so far. He’s not the same voice but few are. This is heavier than anything he’s previously done, so that’s kinda cool.

Queensryche/DNR – Wow. I never thought I’d be back on the QR train but here I am shoveling coal and blowing the whistle! I don’t dislike Todd. He’s super talented but I couldn’t listen to the old stuff with him. Sure he hits the notes, but they weren’t his notes nor did he have the vocal character Geoff brought. Totally not his fault. I was not thrilled with the newer albums with him as it felt like a totally different band with screechy vox and no Degarmo. Well, this one absolutely kicks my ass, and I think its because its so different that previous releases. This has a definite Empire vibe, more cathartic, spiritual and shows depth. Surprise of the year for me by far.

Osyron/Momentous – I’m not sure how these guys slipped past me over the years, but this is some great proggy power metal. The vocalist is similar in many ways to Zak Stevens with a little grit and a lot of range. Everything flows so well and the songs are memorable. I bought their entire discography. The previous album is also fantastic. It stumps me how I’d never heard of them or read about them till a few weeks ago.

Borealis/Illusions – The only illusion here was me thinking this album would sound better than the previous two. They are a good band but suffer from, what I find to be, horrific production. Everything is the wall of sound. The guitars, keys, drums, vocals are all on the same level, and that makes the music unintentionally superficial. There’s some good songs under all this noise. Loud should be a volume choice, not a production level.

Atomic Symphony/Hybris – Great female fronted prog metal. I normally don’t deal with this genre too much, but this girl is a beast. The heavy prog metal mixed with her powerhouse lungs is a great combination. Musically it’s similar to Vanden Plas, maybe a little heavier? Great stuff, though.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:38 am

Great idea Larry.
(you forgot Outprogged42)
Claus Jensen

giedrius

Post by giedrius » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:19 pm

10. Voivod „Syncro Anarchy“
Voivod‘s cosmic experimental thrash style was unique in the late 80s, and the style is still unique today. I am happy that Voivod are back to their great form after a bit lackluster mid-era albums (to me their revival started with 2018's The Wake).

9. All Things Fallen „Shadow Way“
Slightly dark and melancholic progressive power metal – nothing unusual, but I found that I listened to the album quite a bit in 2022.

8. Revocation „Neatherheaven“
Very powerful and coherent technical death metal album. I knew Revocathe name from earlier, but this was the first Revocation album I listened to quite a bit.

7. O.R.k. „Screamnasium“
Quality progressive alternative rock with some spontaneity and a lot of virtuosity, some of the material comes even close to Soundgarden's best moments.

6. Seventh Wonder „The Testament“
Classical progressive metal – while in this album I lack a bit of the magic of „Mercy Falls“ and „The Great Escape“, I still had many enjoyable listening experiences.

5. Unprocessed „Gold“
I listened a few times at first and, for some reason, stopped, but then when I read Claus‘ rave comments, I returned to this album, and I have to say that it is one of the best examples of modern progressive metal with a good fusion of pop and electronic music.

4. Teramaze „Flight of the Wounded“
Another example of classical melodic progressive metal that I find really enjoyable. „I Wonder“ was their first album that I really liked.

3. Hammers of Misfortune „Overtaker“
This stormed my player in December. I knew the name from the past, but I associated them with the styles that were too eclectic for my taste. This album changed my mind and is a very good example of adventurous experimental metal album with strong thrash tendencies. I don‘t think there is a comparison that would do it justice, but names like Arcturus and Vector (maybe) would not be totally off the mark.

2. Porcupine Tree „CLOSURE/CONTINUATION“
I found a lot of creativity and emotion in this album and listened to it a lot more than I initially planned. Porcupine Tree was a bit too mellow for my taste earlier, but I cannot say the same about this album.

1. Polyphia „Remember That You Will Die“
I have discovered the band only with this album. Once I heard this album, I listened to only Polyphia for five days straight, including this album and their previous works. I don‘t think this ever happened to me in the past 10 or 20 years when I spent my listening time on one band for so long. Instrumental tracks of this album are masterclass, and songs with guest vocals have a little bit of love/hate vibe. Overall, this album impacted me most in 2022 and in a very positive way.

I am very happy with 2022, because it brought me many new discoveries. In fact, I didn‘t really listen to 7 bands out of my Top 10 too much before. Maybe this year those albums by those bands came at right times for me.

Honorable mention: The Mars Volta „The Mars Volta“ comeback album – not really metal and their most mellow album.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:48 pm

Outprogged42 --

I listen to less new music as the years go by, so I don't have that many. I also listen to a lot of non-metal or prog-related artists in addition.

Releases I've liked from this year:
Threshold - Dividing Lines (Prog-Metal)
Images of Eden - Weathered and Torn (Prog-Metal, Heavy Metal)
Floating in Space - Liftoff (Post-Rock, Ambient)
U137 - Imagination (Post-Rock, Ambient)
James LaBrie - A Beautiful Shade of Grey (Rock)
Evergrey - A Heartless Portrait (Prog-Metal)
Zero Hour - Agenda 21 (Prog-Metal)
Spheric Universe Experience - Back Home (Prog-Metal)
John Elefante - The Amazing Grace (Rock, AOR)
Ronnie Atkins - Make It Count (Rock, AOR)
Carly Comando - The Calm Before (hard to classify; chamber classical, maybe?)
Silent Skies - Nectar (sort of the same style, chamber classical but with Tom Englund)
Big Big Train - Welcome to the Planet (Prog-Rock)
Devin Townsend - Lightwork (hard to say; Pop, Rock, Heavy Metal?)

There are a few I've yet to check out, though. Henrik Fevre, Stryper, Kirk Hammett, and Aramid among them at the moment.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:58 pm

Jhallum ---

A bit late in getting this out there. Been able to expand my metal horizons a bit this year, which has brought in some really cool stuff.

Outside looking in:
Judicator -- The Majesty of Decay
Messa -- Close

20-11 (no order)
Byrmir -- Voices in the Sky
Kissin' Dynamite -- Not the End of the Road
Michael Romeo -- War of the Worlds pt 2
Persefone -- Metanoia
Porcupine Tree -- Closure / Continuation
Seven Kingdoms -- Zenith
Tranzat -- Ooh La La
White Ward -- False Light
Battle Beast -- Circus of Doom
Avantasia -- A Paranormal Evening with the Moonflower Society

10 Seventh Wonder // The Testament
9 Star One // Revel In Time
8 Pure Reason Revolution // Above Cirrus
7 Oceans of Slumber // Starlight and Ash
6 Epica // The Alchemy Project
5 Amorphis // Halo
4 The Otolith // Folium Limina
3 Aeternam // heir of the Rising Sun
2 Zeal and Ardor // Zeal and Ardor
1 Blind Guardian // The God Complex

Song of the Year -- Zeal and Ardor -- Death to the Holy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9G4HRGh8Ac

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:56 am

giedrius wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:19 pm
10. Voivod „Syncro Anarchy“
Voivod‘s cosmic experimental thrash style was unique in the late 80s, and the style is still unique today. I am happy that Voivod are back to their great form after a bit lackluster mid-era albums (to me their revival started with 2018's The Wake).
5. Unprocessed „Gold“
I listened a few times at first and, for some reason, stopped, but then when I read Claus‘ rave comments, I returned to this album, and I have to say that it is one of the best examples of modern progressive metal with a good fusion of pop and electronic music.
1. Polyphia „Remember That You Will Die“
I have discovered the band only with this album. Once I heard this album, I listened to only Polyphia for five days straight, including this album and their previous works. I don‘t think this ever happened to me in the past 10 or 20 years when I spent my listening time on one band for so long. Instrumental tracks of this album are masterclass, and songs with guest vocals have a little bit of love/hate vibe. Overall, this album impacted me most in 2022 and in a very positive way.
I love those three albums - all genre-pushing and top-level performances.
giedrius wrote:
3. Hammers of Misfortune „Overtaker“
This stormed my player in December. I knew the name from the past, but I associated them with the styles that were too eclectic for my taste. This album changed my mind and is a very good example of adventurous experimental metal album with strong thrash tendencies. I don‘t think there is a comparison that would do it justice, but names like Arcturus and Vector (maybe) would not be totally off the mark.
These guys have always been a hit or miss for me. Some of it were amazing (The August Engine, The Locust Years), some was okay (Fields, Church of Broken Glass), all the rest didn't work for me at all. I have not checked out Overtaker yet. But ... I'll do so now :)
giedrius wrote:
Honorable mention: The Mars Volta „The Mars Volta“ comeback album – not really metal and their most mellow album.
I wish I could get into it. I just don't hear anything in it that moves me ... it's very mellow as you said, but it's like it never goes any further than just that ... a song is supposed to take the listener on a journey, and this is like standing at the pier waiting for the cruise ship to arrive so we can get started. Truth be told, I'm not the biggest fan of The Mars Volta - I have always been impressed at what they've created, and they've done a lot of great tunes in the past, but besides one (Octahedron) album I really don't LOVE any of their albums from start to finish.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:02 am

Jhallum wrote: Judicator -- The Majesty of Decay
Messa -- Close
Persefone -- Metanoia
Seven Kingdoms -- Zenith
Tranzat -- Ooh La La
Of these I love Persefone and White Ward.
I enjoyed the Avantasia album, but that's about it.
Jhallum wrote: 10 Seventh Wonder // The Testament
5 Amorphis // Halo
Several of these are on my list as well. Great top 10 there.

I don't get the love for Seal & Harbour (I mean, Zeal and Ardor) - I know it's eclectic and unique and genre-pushing (all things I look for as positives when listening to music), but I don't feel a connection with the music. I've tried a few times, but no luck to sar.
Claus Jensen

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:44 pm

introclaus wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:02 am
Jhallum wrote: Judicator -- The Majesty of Decay
Messa -- Close
Persefone -- Metanoia
Seven Kingdoms -- Zenith
Tranzat -- Ooh La La
Of these I love Persefone and White Ward.
I enjoyed the Avantasia album, but that's about it.
Jhallum wrote: 10 Seventh Wonder // The Testament
5 Amorphis // Halo
Several of these are on my list as well. Great top 10 there.

I don't get the love for Seal & Harbour (I mean, Zeal and Ardor) - I know it's eclectic and unique and genre-pushing (all things I look for as positives when listening to music), but I don't feel a connection with the music. I've tried a few times, but no luck to sar.
My biggest complaint is that the albums tracks are all super short and need another minute or two for most of them ND it would be a far and away #1

venidominefan

Post by venidominefan » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:46 am

Chaos Frame - Entropy
Surprised there's very little talk about this album. All killer no filler. Queensryche - Digital Noise Alliance
Great album even though I do miss Tate. Just forget this is Queensryche and enjoy this for the great album it is. The Vigus Report
Concept album about an alien who comes to help earth but it all goes wrong. The track "Search the Sky" has my favorite riff of the year. A fun listen. Threshold - Dividing Lines
Thought this album was ok at first. Seemed underwhelming for some reason. But love it after many listens.

Lalu - Paint the Sky
Damien rules on vocals here.

Civil War - Invaders
Killer vocals. Prehistoric Animals - The Magical Mystery Machine (Chapter Two)
Another winner. I read somewhere a new album is in the works.

Sarayasign - Throne of Gold
Another great vocalist.

Spheric Universe Experience - Back Home
I think this might be their best.
Last edited by venidominefan on Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is your brain on guitar...
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >
Spotify >

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:10 am

venidominefan wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:46 am
Chaos Theory - Entropy
Surprised there's very little talk about this album. All killer no filler.
You mean Chaos Frame... I found it very boring and bland. And there's something about the vocals that is slightly annoying. Yeah, it's the "old school" prog metal style, but not necessarily any good (in my opinion).
venidominefan wrote:
Queensryche - Digital Noise Alliance
Great album even though I do miss Tate. Just forget this is Queensryche and enjoy this for the great album it is.
I tried again, but on CD these guys just aren't interesting anymore w/o Tate.
venidominefan wrote:
The Vigus Report
Concept album about an alien who comes to help earth but it all goes wrong. The track "Search the Sky" has my favorite riff of the year. A fun listen.
I'll have to check this out, never heard of them before.
venidominefan wrote:
Threshold - Dividing Lines
Thought this album was ok at first. Seemed underwhelming for some reason. But love it after many listens.
Same.
venidominefan wrote:
Lalu - Paint the Sky
Damien rules on vocals here.
Great vocals. Great keyboards. Overall top notch musicianship. Boring song writing. I never found Vivien to be a great songwriter, so ...
venidominefan wrote:
Civil War - Invaders
Killer vocals.
Yes, it's easy-listening music, but well done, and Kelly Sundown is as always incredible.
venidominefan wrote:
Prehistoric Animals - The Magical Mystery Machine (Chapter Two)
Another winner. I read somewhere a new album is in the works.
Love this one.
venidominefan wrote:
Sarayasign - Throne of Gold
Another great vocalist.
Love this one.
venidominefan wrote:
Spheric Universe Experience - Back Home
I think this might be their best.
Not their best in my opinion, but really great.
Claus Jensen

giedrius

Post by giedrius » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:35 am

introclaus wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:56 am
I wish I could get into it. I just don't hear anything in it that moves me ... it's very mellow as you said, but it's like it never goes any further than just that ... a song is supposed to take the listener on a journey, and this is like standing at the pier waiting for the cruise ship to arrive so we can get started. Truth be told, I'm not the biggest fan of The Mars Volta - I have always been impressed at what they've created, and they've done a lot of great tunes in the past, but besides one (Octahedron) album I really don't LOVE any of their albums from start to finish.
Octahedron is one my favorites. Initially Mars Volta's experimental material was a bit difficult for me to get into - I liked the melodic stuff more. But later I started to like the experimental stuff as well.

Now I have to somehow learn to like Zeal & Ardor, ha ha. I will be going to Prognosis/Eindhoven and they will be headlining. I got disappointed when it was announced that they would headline, but now I still have a few months to change my mind :)

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:45 am

giedrius wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:35 am
Now I have to somehow learn to like Zeal & Ardor, ha ha. I will be going to Prognosis/Eindhoven and they will be headlining. I got disappointed when it was announced that they would headline, but now I still have a few months to change my mind :)
Let me know if you figure out a way to get into them ... I can obviously see the talent, but it just doesn't work for me (yet). If you can figure it out, I'll be open to trying again.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:42 am

Finally got a chance to post my top discs of the year ....... I really had to think about this one, as only a few discs really blew me away this year. I ended up listening to less metal this year than probably any other year that I can remember........ I listen to a lot of music, but the prog metal side of it is getting less and less attention lately...... could be age, could be less releases, could be same old thing, or combo of all ...... in the end, I found the 10 that I liked the most, and here they are....they are not in order except for the top 3.

Honorable mentions -

Virtual Symmetry - S/T
This band doesn't get the love it deserves. This is top notch melodic prog metal at its finest. Everything we love about prog metal is in place here. My only problem is a bit picky, but it does take away slightly from being absolute greatness. While the singer is very good, when he hits the high notes he tends to screech and it really hurts at times. In his normal range he is excellent - but harking back to my younger days of not caring for screechy singers, this still holds true for me. Other than that, this is a great disc.

Anima Morte / Serpents in the Field of Sleep -
When I'm not trying to find metal to listen to, this is the type of music I seek out. Cinematic, melodic instrumental prog music. I originally grabbed this for Halloween, but I find myself playing it often. My tolerance for instrumentals keeps growing because of discs like this.

Pymlico / Supermassive
Same as above for this disc. Beautiful, melodic, symphonic jazz-prog ? Just very relaxing instrumental that sounds like a prog version of Alan Parsons Project with saxophone along the way.

Biggest disappointment of the year -
This one is real easy. ARENA / The Theory of Molecular Inheritance. I don't think I have ever seen such polarizing views of as disc than this one. I'm not going to re-hash everything I don't like about it, but the only saving grace is Damian Wilson on vocals, who gives one of his best, if not his best performance ever. The music is semi-half Arena and the rest is "new-modern" Arena if you will. I played this one more time before writing this, and the production still suffers greatly, regardless of what Claus thinks. :wink: Charging us $24 for this also brings it down another notch. That is the ultimate insult. Now when I play it, I call it a Damian Wilson solo disc....that helps me keep my head about myself.

TOP 10 of 2022 ---

BEN CRAVEN / Monsters of the ID -
One of the few Neo-Prog gems that keep me coming back for more. I can't seem to find much Neo-Prog anymore that signifies what I like (or liked) about the genre. This disc does. Beautiful, melodic, atmospheric Neo-Prog the way it used to be albeit with a touch of modern air to it. I think I have seen only one other person on the board mention this disc, but if you are into that traditional Neo-Prog sound then you would do well to seek this one out. Production = superb.

RIVERWOOD / Shadows & Flames -
Like everyone else who mentioned this disc in their lists, the same goes for me. Excellent Egyptian prog metal (folk metal) with chops from hell and great songwriting. You can add this band to small list of prog metal bands from that side of the world. Can't get enough of that sound.

PHILOSOPHOBIA - S/T
Bands like this just don't come around anymore, playing a traditional style melodic prog metal with great vocals. When I want that old style traditional sound that started this monster, I go back to this disc. It reminds me of what I loved and still love about prog metal.

SEVENTH WONDER / The Testament -
The band has been getting away from me with each release, and there was a moment in time when I almost didn't even bother checking this one out. Even if I didn't, I'm confident that someone would have reminded me of what an idiot I am for not checking it out. This is another one of those polarizing discs where I think people are feeling that they are rushing through their discs instead of putting out superb quality that they are known for. I do agree - they are certainly playing it safe, and I do see more and more people calling for "different", but hearing Tommy sing these songs still gives me chills, and although the super prog chops seem to be gone from their sound, that melodic approach and Tommy's vocals keep me coming back for more each and every time.

STAR ONE / Revel in Time -
I thought I was done with Ayreon, and its cousin as well. I tire of that wall of singers on every disc like others do, and I prefer 3-4 different singers than 10. But to come out and put out two discs that have different singers on each disc ? Wow !!!! This cannot work can it ? It does. If you don't like the singers on the first disc, check out the singers on the second one. So Arjen gives us 2 discs in one set, and gives us the chance to pick the one we like best, or like both and have double the fun.
Note to Arjen - this is great, but next time can we have one disc with the dude from Praying Mantis singing on all of it ? Jaycee Culpepper or whatever his name is.....that guy is unreal.

VANDEN PLAS / Live and Immortal -
I had to get this on the list somehow. When it comes to VP, I'm listening. Normally I just buy a bluray of a live show, and use that for my live listening. But when it comes to VP, I buy both. This show is not what I wanted out of a live show from them, meaning the setlist, but man they still have it in them, especially Andy after all these years and I don't want a year to go by where I don't put VP something on my list.

EDENBRIDGE / Shangri-La -
One of those bands where you think you don't care about them anymore but then you somehow end up buying their latest disc knowing what it sounds like and then you just don't care because it's still good after all of these years. I cannot get enough of Sabine's vocals, so that could be why I keep coming back. Their formula doesn't change, their sound keeps getting bigger, and although each disc of their last ( pick a number ) sounds the same, those chills I get from hearing Sabine sing still register with me, and in the end I just bowed my head and said " ok, you still got me ".

And now my Top 3 discs of the year - and I'm sure won't be a surprise to anyone.

#3 - SPHERIC UNIVERSE EXPERIENCE / Back Home
The title says it all. Who knew that a band from so long ago could come out smoking like this ? I first heard this disc played at Prog Power and I stupidly asked who this was as I couldn't identify it. When someone said SuE, I though they were lying. If this is the last disc this band puts out, this will be the one I remember them for. To me, its their most powerful to date.

#2 - MICHAEL ROMEO / War of the Worlds Part 2
Part 1 was my #1 disc when it came out, so I fully expected this disc to be in my Top 3 if not the #1 spot. I was close, it came in #2. I was so looking forward to the return of singer Rick Castellano on this disc, so when I found out it was Dino, I was disappointed only because Rick absolutely blew me away on Part 1, and I'd heard Dino sing on so many projects already..... That said, Dino is abolutely wonderful here to no surprised, but I still miss Rick on vocals and that would have catapulted this disc to #1. As it is, Part 2 is not as cinematic as Part 1, but those Romeo chops are still ridiculously fun and amazing, and lots of songs here sound like they could have been on a Symphony X disc so all is good. How Romeo manages to keep making music like this is utterly amazing......

#1 - THRESHOLD / Dividing Lines -
I was not on board with Legends of the Shire. So many times I tried to love that disc but it failed each and every time. I cannot answer to this date as to why, I can only guess at the songwriting ? Somehow, out of the gate after hitting Play once, this disc blew me away and I knew why I've loved Threshold all of these years. Add in a superb production, Glynn Morgan still on vocals, and they nail it in all ways with this one. To me it sounds like a Threshold disc just kicked up a notch, which is amazing in itself considering all of the discs they have released. These top 3 discs are the reason I still listen to prog metal, and still love it, even though it is getting harder and harder to find discs of this caliber, I wonder how it will be when these bands cease to exist for me. Until then, this disc will gets lots of play and love for a long, long time......

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:17 pm

LarryD wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:42 am
Finally got a chance to post my top discs of the year ....... I really had to think about this one, as only a few discs really blew me away this year. I ended up listening to less metal this year than probably any other year that I can remember........ I listen to a lot of music, but the prog metal side of it is getting less and less attention lately...... could be age, could be less releases, could be same old thing, or combo of all ...... in the end, I found the 10 that I liked the most, and here they are....they are not in order except for the top 3.
I think it's the fact that there are less releases in the "classic prog metal" genre these days, so obviously you're not exposed to that many. Also, you refuse to listen to anything I throw at you, so there's that ;)

I'm surprised to not find any of the following bands on your list:
Theory, Vass/Katsionis, Preincarnation, After Lapse ...
LarryD wrote:
Honorable mentions -

Virtual Symmetry - S/T
Anima Morte / Serpents in the Field of Sleep -
Pymlico / Supermassive
Virtual Symmetry bored me.
Anima Morte and Pymlico are instrumental stuff, so I've got little to no interest in them.
LarryD wrote:
Biggest disappointment of the year -
This one is real easy. ARENA / The Theory of Molecular Inheritance. I don't think I have ever seen such polarizing views of as disc than this one. I'm not going to re-hash everything I don't like about it, but the only saving grace is Damian Wilson on vocals, who gives one of his best, if not his best performance ever. The music is semi-half Arena and the rest is "new-modern" Arena if you will. I played this one more time before writing this, and the production still suffers greatly, regardless of what Claus thinks. :wink: Charging us $24 for this also brings it down another notch. That is the ultimate insult. Now when I play it, I call it a Damian Wilson solo disc....that helps me keep my head about myself.
Music: ok, taste is taste ... can't be argued
Production: I'm still not hearing what you are (and I've seen other here agree with me)
Price: yeah that's ridiculous, but I bought it for $10.99 on iTunes, so I am fine :)
LarryD wrote:
BEN CRAVEN / Monsters of the ID -
I'll have to check this one out.
LarryD wrote:
PHILOSOPHOBIA - S/T
VANDEN PLAS / Live and Immortal -
EDENBRIDGE / Shangri-La -
#2 - MICHAEL ROMEO / War of the Worlds Part 2
These didn't make my list ... I enjoyed the VP disc (but I don't list live albums), the Philosophobia was okay (but not much more than that), Edenbridge was typical Edenbridge (but not something I would ever revisit) and Michael Romeo was disappointing (I really liked the previous one, but not this one).
LarryD wrote:
RIVERWOOD / Shadows & Flames -
SEVENTH WONDER / The Testament -
STAR ONE / Revel in Time -
#3 - SPHERIC UNIVERSE EXPERIENCE / Back Home
#1 - THRESHOLD / Dividing Lines -
I enjoy all of these for sure (even Seventh Wonder - I just want something different from them by now ... and I want to be able to hear Andreas ... at least we get to hear him clearly in Zero Hour).
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:10 pm

OK, I think I have finally gotten through all the new albums I bought this year, although some of the last to arrive I really need to sample more before passing fair verdict. Regardless, close enough that here goes, with the caveat when I revisit this post in the future that few may have shifted.....

Top Albums

1 - Queensryche "Digital Noise Alliance" - I have a fairly large (larger than usual anyway) list of GREAT albums, but didn't have a single "perfect" album this year. Given that, I just looked at the list and picked 'Ryche as that is the one I would most eagerly listen to right now. This isn't your father's (lol.... In our case, OUR) Queensryche, and aside from guitar tones it's not trying to be. This is the best Todd era disc, and quite frankly easily stands right there with "Empire" and "Promised Land". So many surprisingly great tracks on this album throughout, and I am VERY excited to see them this US tour NOT doing the nostalgia setlist.

2 - Arena "Theory of Molecular Inheritance" - As already referenced, widely differing opinions on this one..... It certainly has it's Arena moments, it has Headspace moments, and overall it's just its own beautiful creation. Damian absolutely SHINES on this album, from soft passages crafted around vocals to hyper engaging melodies.... This is just a masterpiece in songwriting. I sincerely hope he sticks long enough to get a live album and a couple more studio efforts. (And yes.... The price tag was ridiculous for a physical CD, and YES I am aggravated that track titles are nowhere on the f&*king thing aside from inside the liner notes.)

3 - Lillian Axe "From Womb to Tomb" - My favorite long lived (albeit occasionally long dormant) early 90s hard rock band.... They continue to stick to their formula, even with a changing cast of musicians. I've seen reviews calling this album borderline "progressive" but end of the day it's just REALLY WELL DONE hard rock like they have been doing for 35 years.

4 - Threshold "Dividing Lines" - It's Threshold, through and through. Heavier than "Shires" I'd say, with a more modern keyboard element tacked on in a few places. Very much an amalgamation of "Phychedelicatessan" and "Dead Reckoning" to my ears. Threshold is a band that has never strayed from their own sound, and this certainly doesn't try anything new. Threshold is pretty much a guaranteed top 5 for me with every release, and this is no different.

5 - Philosophobia - Prototypical prog metal circa 2000 Pain of Salvation. Warm, engaging, technical all at once..... Not cutting any new ground, but certainly scratches the itch for old school prog metal. File alongside Wolverine, Kingcrow, etc

6 - Spheric Universe Experience - Talk about returning with a BANG! Another long dormant band, but coming back with all guns blazing back to their original DT inspired prog metal form. Pure textbook material here, but done exceedingly well. Welcome back!!!!

7 - Stratovarius "Survive" - While they have put out several good albums post-Tolkki, I think their latest long break did them a world of good as this one is far and away the most energized and complete album of the modern era. Focusing a little less on the (slightly) proggy bits they would toss in, this album focuses purely on songs and melody, and scores on both marks. Great song after great song. Highly recommended for anyone who wrote them off after the Miss K incident.

8 - Starchaser s/t - Frontiers constructed project featuring former Tad Morose guitarist Kenneth Jonsson. For those missing the Swedish power metal Tad Morose (yes, I know they are still active, but they are NOT the same) and Morgana LeFay, this will easily fill that void. Heavy, crunchy, melodic throughout. Great album to play LOUD. Lots of Inmoria sounds from the keys despite not crossing over any members.

9 - Royal Hunt "Dystopia 2" - This is the one I could see moving up this list further with more listens. It's prototypical Royal Hunt, but sounding a bit more grandiose than the last couple..... A bit more in the "Paradox" vein rather than the pure neo-classical material they've returned to. Several vocalists on this one, and I had expected them to be isolated to single songs, but they actually cross over quite a bit. I think Claus said something about DC sounding "tired" here, but I didn't hear that at all. I'm an RH fanboy from WAY back, but this is their strongest in quite some time.

10 - Virtual Symmetry s/t - See SUEs writeup above.... Another band I assumed retired returning with a MONSTER expo on how to write a prog masterpiece. Only knock that holds this back is I wish the hooks were just a bit more engaging. Musically one of the top 2-3 of the year, but vocal hooks keep it from setting in as a top 5 for me.

Honorable Mentions
Whole lot of other very good albums this year, from Star One, Evergrey, Blind GUardian (returning to their classic thrashy sounds), Persefone (really thought this might have been a top 5 at one point), Michael Romeo, Seventh Wonder (usually a staple in my top 10), Amorphis, and Devin Townsend. I have to say I'm actually shocked Evergrey, Seventh Wonder, and Devin aren't in my top 10, as usually I can count on those being near the top of my lists, but returning bands coming back STRONG (Ryche, Strato, SUE, Virtual Symmetry) all bumped them down a peg.

Live album of the year is (once again) Neal Morse with the "MorseFest 2021" release. Always a great show! Epica's "Live at Paradiso" from 15 years ago was another excellent release, but due to Covid shutting bands down it felt a bit dry this year for quality live material.

Overall another very strong year, but like I called out.... Sort of missing those 1-2 near perfect albums that take over and dominate all year. That being said, I'll take a year like this anytime!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:08 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:10 pm
1 - Queensryche "Digital Noise Alliance" - I have a fairly large (larger than usual anyway) list of GREAT albums, but didn't have a single "perfect" album this year. Given that, I just looked at the list and picked 'Ryche as that is the one I would most eagerly listen to right now. This isn't your father's (lol.... In our case, OUR) Queensryche, and aside from guitar tones it's not trying to be. This is the best Todd era disc, and quite frankly easily stands right there with "Empire" and "Promised Land". So many surprisingly great tracks on this album throughout, and I am VERY excited to see them this US tour NOT doing the nostalgia setlist.
No Tate, no love! ;)
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
2 - Arena "Theory of Molecular Inheritance" - As already referenced, widely differing opinions on this one..... It certainly has it's Arena moments, it has Headspace moments, and overall it's just its own beautiful creation. Damian absolutely SHINES on this album, from soft passages crafted around vocals to hyper engaging melodies.... This is just a masterpiece in songwriting. I sincerely hope he sticks long enough to get a live album and a couple more studio efforts. (And yes.... The price tag was ridiculous for a physical CD, and YES I am aggravated that track titles are nowhere on the f&*king thing aside from inside the liner notes.)

4 - Threshold "Dividing Lines" - It's Threshold, through and through. Heavier than "Shires" I'd say, with a more modern keyboard element tacked on in a few places. Very much an amalgamation of "Phychedelicatessan" and "Dead Reckoning" to my ears. Threshold is a band that has never strayed from their own sound, and this certainly doesn't try anything new. Threshold is pretty much a guaranteed top 5 for me with every release, and this is no different.

6 - Spheric Universe Experience - Talk about returning with a BANG! Another long dormant band, but coming back with all guns blazing back to their original DT inspired prog metal form. Pure textbook material here, but done exceedingly well. Welcome back!!!!

7 - Stratovarius "Survive" - While they have put out several good albums post-Tolkki, I think their latest long break did them a world of good as this one is far and away the most energized and complete album of the modern era. Focusing a little less on the (slightly) proggy bits they would toss in, this album focuses purely on songs and melody, and scores on both marks. Great song after great song. Highly recommended for anyone who wrote them off after the Miss K incident.

9 - Royal Hunt "Dystopia 2" - This is the one I could see moving up this list further with more listens. It's prototypical Royal Hunt, but sounding a bit more grandiose than the last couple..... A bit more in the "Paradox" vein rather than the pure neo-classical material they've returned to. Several vocalists on this one, and I had expected them to be isolated to single songs, but they actually cross over quite a bit. I think Claus said something about DC sounding "tired" here, but I didn't hear that at all. I'm an RH fanboy from WAY back, but this is their strongest in quite some time.
I like/love all of these (two of them made my top 10)
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
3 - Lillian Axe "From Womb to Tomb" - My favorite long lived (albeit occasionally long dormant) early 90s hard rock band.... They continue to stick to their formula, even with a changing cast of musicians. I've seen reviews calling this album borderline "progressive" but end of the day it's just REALLY WELL DONE hard rock like they have been doing for 35 years.
I'll have to check this out. I've always enjoyed Lillian Axe, but most of their reunion (post 2007) releases were lackluster, which is probably why they never stayed with a record label for more than one album at a time.
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
5 - Philosophobia - Prototypical prog metal circa 2000 Pain of Salvation. Warm, engaging, technical all at once..... Not cutting any new ground, but certainly scratches the itch for old school prog metal. File alongside Wolverine, Kingcrow, etc
I enjoyed it, but not much more than that ...
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
8 - Starchaser s/t - Frontiers constructed project featuring former Tad Morose guitarist Kenneth Jonsson. For those missing the Swedish power metal Tad Morose (yes, I know they are still active, but they are NOT the same) and Morgana LeFay, this will easily fill that void. Heavy, crunchy, melodic throughout. Great album to play LOUD. Lots of Inmoria sounds from the keys despite not crossing over any members.
Hmm ... I hear something way more "melodic power metal" than what ML, TM or Inmoria were known for. To me those bands all were dark and semi-proggy with a hint of doom as well. This one is more keyboard-driven, up tempo and happy. More in the Nocturnal Rites with even a hint of Stratovarius to it. Then again, the former Tad Morose guy, was actually only part of TM on their 2013-18 albums, which all kind of sucked, so ...
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
10 - Virtual Symmetry s/t - See SUEs writeup above.... Another band I assumed retired returning with a MONSTER expo on how to write a prog masterpiece. Only knock that holds this back is I wish the hooks were just a bit more engaging. Musically one of the top 2-3 of the year, but vocal hooks keep it from setting in as a top 5 for me.
Yeah it just didn't do anything for me.
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Live album of the year is (once again) Neal Morse with the "MorseFest 2021" release. Always a great show! Epica's "Live at Paradiso" from 15 years ago was another excellent release, but due to Covid shutting bands down it felt a bit dry this year for quality live material.
At least this year we didn't get a ton of those "recorded w/o an audience" live albums we got at first when Covid shut down the world.
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Overall another very strong year, but like I called out.... Sort of missing those 1-2 near perfect albums that take over and dominate all year. That being said, I'll take a year like this anytime!
Interesting you didn't find those albums that you REALLY think are close to perfection. I will say that my top 1-4 are all amazing albums that I know I'll treasure forever.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:17 am

Honorable Mentions
Whole lot of other very good albums this year, from Star One, Evergrey, Blind GUardian (returning to their classic thrashy sounds), Persefone (really thought this might have been a top 5 at one point), Michael Romeo, Seventh Wonder (usually a staple in my top 10), Amorphis, and Devin Townsend. I have to say I'm actually shocked Evergrey, Seventh Wonder, and Devin aren't in my top 10, as usually I can count on those being near the top of my lists, but returning bands coming back STRONG (Ryche, Strato, SUE, Virtual Symmetry) all bumped them down a peg.

****We have 4 in common - we usually have more, but the rest of yours are in the honorable mentions. I agree with everything you said about the year, nothing actually blew me away except maybe the SuE, Threshold and Michael Romeo. Totally agree with your Arena comments, except for the fact that its not even on my list for my obvious past reasons...... great list indeed, and a great read ........as always. Did not know Neal had a recent Morsefest release, heading on over there right now... !!!

progulus

Post by progulus » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:41 pm

D'Virgilio, Morse & Jennings - Troika 4.7/5
The Flower Kings - By Royal Decree 4.7/5
Pattern-Seeking Animals - Only Passing Through (Bonus Track Edition) 4.7/5
Seventh Wonder - The Testament 4.6/5
Evergrey - A Heartless Portrait: The Orphean Testament 4.6/5
Michael Romeo - War Of The Worlds, Pt. 2 4.6/5
Sonata Arctica - Acoustic Adventures - Volume One 4.6/5
Big Big Train - Welcome To The Planet 4.6/5
Derek Sherinian - Vortex 4.6/5
Haken - Nightingale 4.6/5
The Aristocrats - The Aristocrats with Primuz Chamber Orchestra 4.6/5
Ghost - Impera 4.6/5
Galahad - The Last Great Adventurer 4.5/5
Star One - Revel In Time 4.5/5
Karcius - Grey White Silver Yellow and Gold 4.5/5
Threshold - Dividing Lines 4.5/5
Ryo Okumoto - The Myth of the Mostrophus 4.5/5
Pure Reason Revolution - Above Cirrus 4.5/5
Rosalie Cunningham - Two Piece Puzzle 4.5/5
Kaipa - Urskog 4.5/5
Dante - Winter 4.5/5
Jethro Tull - The Zealot Gene 4.5/5

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:04 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
I own their first, but I don't really care for it. Skipped everything until now. Not even sure why I listened to the new one, but WOW. Yeah, I'll sign on for this...
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

devomeister

Post by devomeister » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:14 pm

For shits and grins, here's my list. I was going to do little writeups, but I lost steam part way in, hahaha. I did at least order them somewhat. Still some good music to share that some others might even enjoy. I will say that the list skews even more alt-metal than my usual yearly roundup.

The Butterfly Effect- IV
Kandia- Quarternay
Chaosbay- 2222
Nothing More- SPIRITS
Anova Skyway- Reset (ep)
Big Wreck- 7.2 (kind of an ep?)
Vanitas- st (ep)
Stabbing Westward- Chasing Ghosts
Rioghan- Different Kinds of Losses
The Great Discord- Deam Morte
Celestial Son- Planetaria
Porcupine Tree- Closure/Continuation