Road Trip - Lots of new releases

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Sir Exar Kun

Road Trip - Lots of new releases

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:37 am

Took a trip up to Toronto last week for work, and managed to listen to a WHOLE LOT of new stuff that's been sitting in a stack at home.

Seventh Wonder “The Testament” – It’s very prototypical SW, complete with big lush melodies and sufficient noodling to keep listeners occupied. I can’t find anything not to like on here, but come away feeling that this was a bit of a paint-by-numbers SW album, akin to “Waiting in the Wings” a bit, and feels like they needed to put out an album rather than they had something urgent to say through the music. That all being said, it’s a GREAT album but not quite up to the same level as their recent output.

Jorn Lande “Over the Horizon Radar” – With Jorn, you always know what you’re going to get and there are no surprises here. Personally, I think Jorn does better when working with outside songwriters in side projects, as his solo output has gotten a bit stale. That being said, there are 3-4 really good songs on here, and feels like his best solo release in several years….. But OH that cover art….. WOW.

Virtual Symmetry s/t – Along with the new SUE, this might be the best throwback prog metal album of the year. The mix (to my ears) could have been a touch better, as things sounded a bit muddled at parts, but the songwriting and performances are stellar throughout. Opening 20 minute track is suitably epic. I know they were touring with Evergrey and Fractal Cypher earlier this year in the EU, which would have been something to see! Any old school fans of the DT-soundalikes should LOVE this one.

Tad Morose “March of the Obsequious” – A band that hasn’t been the same since Urban left. Seems like they continue to streamline the formula, focusing on quick heavy headbangers, abandoning the early proggy phase and the uber-melodic Urban phase completely. I think I order these for nostalgia rather than real excitement about the current direction.

Ginevra “We Belong to the Stars” – Frontiers project featuring Magnus Karlsson, although he is only a writer on a few songs with this one. Singer gives me a strong Danny Vaughn (Tyketto) vibe, in a slightly heavier direction. Will be revisiting, but enjoyed this one quite a bit for what it is…. Modern hard rock with a good amount of crunch to it.

All-Star Tribute to Rush – Basically Magna Carta repackaged the “Working Man” album with a full bonus disc of 70 more minutes….. The bonus tracks aren’t as diverse as the original album, with several each from Randy Jackson and Robert Berry, but still a fun little romp. (This was playing as I crossed the border at Buffalo, and I found myself laughing like I was trying to be as Canadian as possible…. Playing me some Rush….)

Stratovarius “Survive” – Another band where you 100% know what you are going to get. It’s been a lot of years since their last album, and as a result this one sounds like they had more time to get their BEST ideas together rather than any filler. Another one I have to revisit, but after one pass I had a number of songs jumping out. Super melodic throughout!

Journey “Freedom” – It’s Journey. Mostly. With rotating support musicians. A little editing on this might have helped as there are a few tunes that drag, but overall an OK album. Nothing to write home about, but not worth recycling either.

Starchaser – Now THIS is what I want my Tad Morose to sound like! Certainly not the BEST album of the year, but this will easily go down as one of my favorites. Perfect combination of balls out heaviness with super engaging melodies. This scratches the itch left in the absence of Morgana LeFay and (old school) Tad Morose. For anyone who enjoyed the brief Inmoria project, this picks right up on that same sound. Highly recommended.

Symphonity “Marco Polo” – Billed as an epic symphonic concept album, it falls a bit short on the “epic” side feeling more like a Cliff’s Notes version of the saga rather than a full blow story. Nothing inherently wrong with anything on the album, but nothing that really stood out strongly either. I miss Olaf Hayer on vocals, too.

Sonata Arctica “Acoustic Adventures Volume Two” – Acoustic interpretations of power metal can go HORRIBLY wrong (looking at YOU Helloween, with “Unarmed”!) but both volumes of this from SA actually work quite well. The track list on volume two is the stronger set of the two, and Tony does a good job re-arranging for the acoustic treatment without going way too far out into left field (again, Helloween, TAKE NOTES). I imagine a lot of folks HATE this, but honestly….. It works here. Hopefully this reinspires Tony, as the last few studio albums have been pretty blah.

Queensyrche “Digital Noise Alliance” – Can’t wait to circle back on this one…. There were SEVERAL really strong standout tracks spread throughout the album. Initial impression is that it wasn’t as heavy as the last couple discs, and maybe not QUITE as strong as the first LaTorre album, but overall it was very engaging. The prototypical ‘Ryche lead guitar sound was there in spades, Todd sounds fantastic, and aside from an unnecessary cover of “Rebel Yell” it’s a great disc. I just wish they would tour and play more of the newer stuff, rather than go the pure nostalgia route, as their new material stands strong on its own merit.

A-Z s/t – Wasn’t sure what to expect going in based on some pretty mixed reviews; first track opens with a BANG though and immediately hooked me in…. Mark Zonder really carries the sounds on this album (along with Alder’s vocals of course), bringing the obligatory FW vibe…. But beyond the first song, it really doesn’t lean much on that styling, instead going a bit more melodic hard rock, albeit with a very jazzy rhythm to everything. I’d love to hear them come out a bit heavier on future albums, but it’s a good starting point. Melodies are here in spades, and (like Ryche) can’t wait to come back to this one more as I know it has a LOT of layers to uncover.

Philosophobia – Album of the year so far. Heavy warm prog metal ala PoS, Wolverine, Kingcrow etc. First half of the album is stronger than the second, so maybe a bit of a pacing issue, but sometimes that can’t be helped. Highest recommendation on this one!

Chaos Frame “Entropy” – Along with Virtual Symmetry and SUE, another great throwback to the classic sound that built this board…. Chaos Frame tend to be on the heavier end of the spectrum than the other two, but still incorporate all the staple elements we know and love. Now, if only Southern Cross could drop a new album……

Leviathan “Mischief of Malcontent” – Liner notes seem to indicate this will be their last album, and take a really “dark” tone…. Musically, though, it picks right up where the last release left off….. I know the musicians have changed up (aside from John Lutzow) from the early era, but he truly keeps the sound right in line with the first couple of releases. I truly hate to see this be the end, as songwriting is still as strong as ever and the last few releases have been EXCELLENT. Only callout on this one is it’s a bit on the short side (under 40 minutes).

Spheric Universe Experience “Back Home” – Top five of the year here. A band that had been on the decline, disappears for several years, but comes back swinging for the fences. I think everyone on this board is familiar with the band, so no need to go into depth, but this harkens back to their first album, and gets away from some of the more modern / almost alternative pieces the last release ventured into. Another HIGHLY recommended release.

I have the new Avantasia, Edenbridge, and Therion all sitting on deck also….. Soon enough! Plus Arena, Royal Hunt, and Threhold coming soon……
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Road Trip - Lots of new releases

Post by LarryD » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:47 am

Great post --- love posts like this, they are far and few though these days.

Seventh Wonder “The Testament” – It’s very prototypical SW, complete with big lush melodies and sufficient noodling to keep listeners occupied. I can’t find anything not to like on here, but come away feeling that this was a bit of a paint-by-numbers SW album, akin to “Waiting in the Wings” a bit, and feels like they needed to put out an album rather than they had something urgent to say through the music. That all being said, it’s a GREAT album but not quite up to the same level as their recent output.

***Agree with this completely. I actually like this one better than their recent output.

Virtual Symmetry s/t – Along with the new SUE, this might be the best throwback prog metal album of the year. The mix (to my ears) could have been a touch better, as things sounded a bit muddled at parts, but the songwriting and performances are stellar throughout. Opening 20 minute track is suitably epic. I know they were touring with Evergrey and Fractal Cypher earlier this year in the EU, which would have been something to see! Any old school fans of the DT-soundalikes should LOVE this one.

***Yes this is a wonderful disc indeed. They have once again upped their chops, and that opening epic song sends a statement. My only gripe is when the singer goes too high. He just goes too high and gets a little grating when doing so.

Queensyrche “Digital Noise Alliance” – Can’t wait to circle back on this one…. There were SEVERAL really strong standout tracks spread throughout the album. Initial impression is that it wasn’t as heavy as the last couple discs, and maybe not QUITE as strong as the first LaTorre album, but overall it was very engaging. The prototypical ‘Ryche lead guitar sound was there in spades, Todd sounds fantastic, and aside from an unnecessary cover of “Rebel Yell” it’s a great disc. I just wish they would tour and play more of the newer stuff, rather than go the pure nostalgia route, as their new material stands strong on its own merit.

***Sadly, I don't listen to current Queensryche anymore. Understood that the music and vocals stand on their own, but to me (personally) it's not Queensryche anymore and I stick with the originals.

Philosophobia – Album of the year so far. Heavy warm prog metal ala PoS, Wolverine, Kingcrow etc. First half of the album is stronger than the second, so maybe a bit of a pacing issue, but sometimes that can’t be helped. Highest recommendation on this one!

****Definitely !!!! I love this disc. Probably just bests V-Symmetry when it comes down to top 10 time.....

Spheric Universe Experience “Back Home” – Top five of the year here. A band that had been on the decline, disappears for several years, but comes back swinging for the fences. I think everyone on this board is familiar with the band, so no need to go into depth, but this harkens back to their first album, and gets away from some of the more modern / almost alternative pieces the last release ventured into. Another HIGHLY recommended release.

***Even better !!!! The have come out firing once again and released a monster of a disc. I remember listening to this for the first time at PP and I asked, " who the $%^&@# is this " ? I was floored when I found out it was SUE. Fantastic prog metal.

I have the new Avantasia, Edenbridge, and Therion all sitting on deck also….. Soon enough! Plus Arena, Royal Hunt, and Threhold coming soon……
***I have a feeling I know what your thoughts will be on Edenbridge, but I'm waiting with baited breath for your thoughts on the new Arena.