What are you listening to right now?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Mardoch
Site Admin

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Mardoch » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:22 pm

Threw on Protest the Hero's Palimpsest while making my weekly menu. Love this band and this is one of my favorite albums of theirs for sure.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:20 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:22 pm
Threw on Protest the Hero's Palimpsest while making my weekly menu. Love this band and this is one of my favorite albums of theirs for sure.
Wonderful disc!
Claus Jensen

MeTuLHeD

Post by MeTuLHeD » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:27 pm

MeTuLHeD wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:18 am
As in "Then Came the Killing" Mezzrow? Old Swedish thrash band back together? What the heck ... I'll have to check that out.
The very same. And better than ever!

Ghost Wind

Post by Ghost Wind » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:53 pm

Such a shame it never happened. If you know, you know :) It just oozes that Age of Elegance vibe imo.

https://youtu.be/Abqxadxl6Eg?si=oWQcSbabfCXvtDGS

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:04 pm

Ghost Wind wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:53 pm
Such a shame it never happened. If you know, you know :) It just oozes that Age of Elegance vibe imo.

I could talk for hours about why that never happened ... lol
Oh boy ...
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:05 pm

Been on a TIAMAT kick all day - I honestly think this is one of the few bands where I like all of their albums (for different reasons), and several of them I'd even label "masterpieces" in their respective genres.
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:55 pm

introclaus wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:05 pm
Been on a TIAMAT kick all day - I honestly think this is one of the few bands where I like all of their albums (for different reasons), and several of them I'd even label "masterpieces" in their respective genres.
How many genres (or more accurately, which genres, I guess) have they put out albums in? I'm only vaguely familiar with them, but I've never gotten into them cause the stuff I tried wasn't right for me at the time, but I'm open to trying a broader swath of their offerings.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:49 pm

1990 - 1991 (Sumerian Cry, The Astral Sleep)
Death metal with a doom edge, and hints of their 1st generation black metal past (when they were known as Treblinka) - kind of reminiscent of early Celtic Frost. Both albums are good for what they are, although a little "naive", and I really like several of the songs, especially on "The Astral Sleep".

1992 - 1994 (Clouds, Wildhoney)
Etherial doom/death. "Wildhoney" is a masterpiece from start to finish, and on "Clouds" one of the best doom death songs ever ("The Sleeping Beauty") is to be found.

1997 (A Deeper Kind of Slumber)
Progressive goth/doom. Nothing sounds like this album. My absolute fave in their catalogue, and so impressive.

1999 - 2002 (Skeleton Skeletron, Judas Christ)
Rock'n'roll based gothic metal. This is a strange period in their career, and I feel some of their choices were too "aimed at becoming commercial". There's still plenty of wonderful material here on both albums, and I really like both.

2003 - 2008 (Prey, Amanethes)
Gothic Metal. With "Prey" they found the line between "commercial" and "dark" and it works really well. I love this album. "Amanethes" came after a 5 year break, but it follows on "Prey" but also goes a tad darker.

2012 (The Scarred People)
Melodic gothic rock / metal. Less metal, more gothic - very polished, very well-written, but also a little bit more "forgettable" in my opinion. I know Johan had tried to bring back his Lucyfire goth rock band around the same time, and it almost seems like some of the songs would have been better there.

I think my ranking is:
A deeper kind of slumber
Wildhoney
Clouds
Prey
Skeleton skeletron
The astral sleep
Amanethes
Judas christ
The scarred people
Sumerian cry
Claus Jensen

Ghost Wind

Post by Ghost Wind » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:26 pm

introclaus wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:04 pm
Ghost Wind wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:53 pm

I could talk for hours about why that never happened ... lol
Oh boy ...
Would love to hear some of that story if willing to share but if not, understandable. At least we’re able to listen to that song though :)

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:40 pm

Orphaned Land / A Heaven You May Create - CD/DVD

This is a live show of OL 30th Anniversary ..... can you believe it ? And like it says on The Lasers Edge site, how to celebrate ? Put out a live disc ......that is always fine by me, and I agree with any band that puts out a live disc, especially on an anniversary. Make it even better ? Make it a CD/DVD combo ..... although I will always bitch about it not being a blu-ray, but I understand the finances involved in doing so .....

However - in this case, I will still bitch. Not only should it be a blu-ray on a 30th anniversary, this show is with a choir / orchestra - it HAS to be on a blu-ray !!!! Nope - not in this case, and this is where the mistake lies .....

My first inclination is always to grab the video part of a package - so in the DVD goes, and right away I can tell that the audio is below average, being on a dvd and all....but as the songs start and go on, I'm immediately treated to what I think is a defect in the dvd. There is a pixelating light shining on and off during the show, making me think there are static lines in the video everywhere. Before I hang my head in shame, I play the dvd in my PAL player, thinking maybe the frame rate is off or something.... nope - the flashing / static lines are still there. What is this problem ??? After swearing, getting ready to use the dvd as a frisbee, and swearing off all dvd shows in the future, what is happening is this. The lighting is flashing on and off on the stage - you know those white lights that split off into separate lights to create like a starry image / effect ? Well this lighting is constant - and bouncing off anything that is reflective on the stage. It resembles white static lines reflecting off everything shiny on the stage .... And whoever filmed this and approved it, did not see this ?? In addition, the camera angles are static - especially with the drummer shots, in which there seems to be one, from his right angle. The rest just look like there are 5 cameras placed around the arena. I didn't get thru the whole show, but maybe this changed as the show went on. This is a terrible filming job, in all ways, and this does not do justice to a band like OL, whose live shows are where its at. Such a waste.

The CD sounds fine - and I recommend starting here if you are going to pick up this set ...... although compressed heavily, it sounds much better than the dvd audio.....
Either way this was going to be my last Orphaned Land purchase, and going out with a CD and a live show is always the way to go for me ..... its just a shame that my last OL purchase had to end up this way .....

In the end, if you are an OL fan, you do owe it to yourself to grab this one as the setlist is excellent, and the performance is as well .....

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:26 am

LarryD wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:40 pm

This is a live show of OL 30th Anniversary ..... can you believe it ? And like it says on The Lasers Edge site, how to celebrate ? Put out a live disc ......that is always fine by me, and I agree with any band that puts out a live disc, especially on an anniversary. Make it even better ? Make it a CD/DVD combo ..... although I will always bitch about it not being a blu-ray, but I understand the finances involved in doing so .....

However - in this case, I will still bitch. Not only should it be a blu-ray on a 30th anniversary, this show is with a choir / orchestra - it HAS to be on a blu-ray !!!! Nope - not in this case, and this is where the mistake lies .....

My first inclination is always to grab the video part of a package - so in the DVD goes, and right away I can tell that the audio is below average, being on a dvd and all....but as the songs start and go on, I'm immediately treated to what I think is a defect in the dvd. There is a pixelating light shining on and off during the show, making me think there are static lines in the video everywhere. Before I hang my head in shame, I play the dvd in my PAL player, thinking maybe the frame rate is off or something.... nope - the flashing / static lines are still there. What is this problem ??? After swearing, getting ready to use the dvd as a frisbee, and swearing off all dvd shows in the future, what is happening is this. The lighting is flashing on and off on the stage - you know those white lights that split off into separate lights to create like a starry image / effect ? Well this lighting is constant - and bouncing off anything that is reflective on the stage. It resembles white static lines reflecting off everything shiny on the stage .... And whoever filmed this and approved it, did not see this ?? In addition, the camera angles are static - especially with the drummer shots, in which there seems to be one, from his right angle. The rest just look like there are 5 cameras placed around the arena. I didn't get thru the whole show, but maybe this changed as the show went on. This is a terrible filming job, in all ways, and this does not do justice to a band like OL, whose live shows are where its at. Such a waste.

The CD sounds fine - and I recommend starting here if you are going to pick up this set ...... although compressed heavily, it sounds much better than the dvd audio.....
Either way this was going to be my last Orphaned Land purchase, and going out with a CD and a live show is always the way to go for me ..... its just a shame that my last OL purchase had to end up this way .....

In the end, if you are an OL fan, you do owe it to yourself to grab this one as the setlist is excellent, and the performance is as well .....
Your review makes me sad for you, but happy for me as I would not buy the DVD. I just do not have the patience to sit through a live concert on TV. No matter how good the band / performance. I have a bunch of DVDs/BluRays and I never watch them - never!

The music from this live concert though is fabulous ... I'm not the audiophile you are, so for my taste it sounds incredible. The song choices are spot on, and so are the performances. I love this live album.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:04 pm

Your review makes me sad for you, but happy for me as I would not buy the DVD. I just do not have the patience to sit through a live concert on TV. No matter how good the band / performance. I have a bunch of DVDs/BluRays and I never watch them - never!

The music from this live concert though is fabulous ... I'm not the audiophile you are, so for my taste it sounds incredible. The song choices are spot on, and so are the performances. I love this live album.

****I'm in agreement on the setlist and the performance ...... the band is awesome as always.

For live show fans on dvd, this really comes in low. I will never understand how you cannot sit thru a live show, when you have seen so many live shows in your time ....
We should have a whole separate discussion about this ......

That said -- ship some of those blurays to me, and I will find a good home for them, be it here or somewhere else ...... don't let them sit in a box and rot. :wink:

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:48 am

I actually meant to post comments on this last week to warn you off of this one..... The video is extremely poor, and really makes no sense to put out like this in the 21st century, for a concert of this magnitude. I'm OK with the DVD audio, but the video quality is very low budget.

Personally, I think I will stick with the prior live set they put out more than this one.....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:58 pm

I
actually meant to post comments on this last week to warn you off of this one..... The video is extremely poor, and really makes no sense to put out like this in the 21st century, for a concert of this magnitude. I'm OK with the DVD audio, but the video quality is very low budget.

Personally, I think I will stick with the prior live set they put out more than this one.....

****Man I wish you had gotten to me sooner as well ....... I would have never gotten this even for the CD if I'd had known about the dvd ...... and I agree with you, the previous dvd blows this away and I will stick with that one as well .....

Have you bought the new live ARena disc yet ? I shelled out the $23 for the Orphaned Land, but that was a set ....... you doing the $24 for the Arena with only the CD ?

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:13 pm

Have you bought the new live ARena disc yet ? I shelled out the $23 for the Orphaned Land, but that was a set ....... you doing the $24 for the Arena with only the CD ?
...but of course! Should spin it in the next 2-3 days in fact.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:03 pm

Just a few tracks in this morning..... The sound is OK, but could be a lot sharper. The bass tends to overpower the guitars, which end up sounding a bit muddy as a result. Damian, however, sounds freakin' GLORIOUS and is full front and center in the mix. Just hearing him sing some of the "older" songs is worth the experience. Can't wait to spin more of it later tonight.....

Bottom line: I've heard better sounding live albums for sure, but with Damian singing I can overlook any other flaws.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:44 pm

Just a few tracks in this morning..... The sound is OK, but could be a lot sharper. The bass tends to overpower the guitars, which end up sounding a bit muddy as a result. Damian, however, sounds freakin' GLORIOUS and is full front and center in the mix. Just hearing him sing some of the "older" songs is worth the experience. Can't wait to spin more of it later tonight.....

Bottom line: I've heard better sounding live albums for sure, but with Damian singing I can overlook any other flaws.

****Thanks for the scoop. You saved me $ 24. My days of paying $24 for a CD that doesn't sound good are over.......doesn't matter who the band is anymore. It's one thing having to pay that much for a disc - but then it's mixed like shit and it's a real downer for me. Doesn't have to sound like glass - because we know most metal and other bands can't afford that kind of a budget. I love Damian like the next guy - but I'll have to settle for his wonderfully produced solo discs and with Adam Wakeman. :wink:

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:49 am

****Thanks for the scoop. You saved me $ 24. My days of paying $24 for a CD that doesn't sound good are over.......doesn't matter who the band is anymore. It's one thing having to pay that much for a disc - but then it's mixed like shit and it's a real downer for me. Doesn't have to sound like glass - because we know most metal and other bands can't afford that kind of a budget. I love Damian like the next guy - but I'll have to settle for his wonderfully produced solo discs and with Adam Wakeman. :wink:
I'm going to backtrack a bit on my comment.... After listening to the whole album, the sound improves greatly after the first few songs.... Reading the liner notes, the songs were recorded at various shows across the tour, and it sounds to me like they just had a bit of a subpar mix at one of the events..... By the time you get deeper into the album, the guitar on tracks like "The Visitor" and "Solomon" just shines.... It's a very solid disc.

Interesting to hear the classics sung by Damian. Most of the songs are excellent, but there are a couple where I just miss the deeper tones of Rob/Paul (such as "Crack in the Ice" and "Butterfly Man"), whereas other ones like "Solomon" and "Tinder Box" Damian absolutely OWNS.....

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:35 pm

LarryD wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:44 pm

I've already told you this, but in my opinion your old-man-stuborness is cheating you out of a great live disc. Sound is not bad at all (yes, it's from several shows so it varies between tracks), and this isn't a band playing huge venues with top recording equipment, so for a band of this size it's a great sounding disc. Also, the tracklist is spectacular - all you could wish for and more!
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:55 am

Various material from ANTIMATTER and SLEEPING PULSE.
I can listen to Mick Moss sing all day long. There's something so calming to his voice. The funny thing is that the closest comparison to way of singing is Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam - and I can't stand Eddie Vedder (I think he sounds like a cry baby). I don't get it ... how come i love one but not the other? Anyway, Sleeping Pulse is such an underrated album, and there's not one single weak album in the Antimatter catalogue.
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:35 am

I'm gonna be pleased to be back home in non-Christmas times, that's all I'm gonna say atm.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:22 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:35 am
I'm gonna be pleased to be back home in non-Christmas times, that's all I'm gonna say atm.
LOL - I can't stand 99% of Christmas music, so ...

I'm listening to a band called POLLEN and their newest album "Uncanny Valley" as they popped up in my Amazon Music suggestion list. I know nothing about them, but it's quite proggy djent stuff, so you (Mardoch) might want to check 'em out. Not bad at all.
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:20 pm

April Wine - Before The Dawn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBAxsF4X6I
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:30 pm

Gaétan

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:32 pm

Gaétan

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:42 pm

introclaus wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:22 pm
Mardoch wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:35 am
LOL - I can't stand 99% of Christmas music, so ...

I'm listening to a band called POLLEN and their newest album "Uncanny Valley" as they popped up in my Amazon Music suggestion list. I know nothing about them, but it's quite proggy djent stuff, so you (Mardoch) might want to check 'em out. Not bad at all.
That album is fantastic! That's a part of what used to be Make Me a Donut, if you ever listened to them. They're mostly instrumental so I expect you to bounce off of them, but I'm glad to see you've given them a shot.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:44 am

introclaus wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:26 am
LarryD wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:40 pm

I'm surprised Claus that you don't like live concerts...........I take it that means that you don't like going to concerts either?

Some bands I feel that way though as well...I guess it depends on how good the live show is... For example, love the Ayreon, Nighwish, Kamelot and Epica live shows which I have on DVD... But alot for me depends on state presence, theatrics etc and how well they bring it live......

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:28 pm

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:44 am
I'm surprised Claus that you don't like live concerts...........I take it that means that you don't like going to concerts either?
I love concerts ... I used to run a nightclub where we had concerts 5-6 nights a week (primarily metal/hard rock), I was music journalist for a bunch of years, and I was a music manager & booking agent for 20+ years (been on the road all across Europe many many times), so I've probably seen more concerts than most people here :)

However, a concert is a once-in-a-lifetime experience - it's something you only can experience right there and then, standing in the crowd, feeling the people around you, feel the rhythm of the music through the speakers, and "smelling" the atmosphere. I just don't get that from a TV ... It feels wrong to watch a concert on TV for me, and I just don't have the patience to pay attention to it that way. I live album on CD is different, I can enjoy the heck out of that, because it doesn't require me to sit and look at the screen.
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:51 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:28 pm
prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:44 am
I love concerts ... I used to run a nightclub where we had concerts 5-6 nights a week (primarily metal/hard rock), I was music journalist for a bunch of years, and I was a music manager & booking agent for 20+ years (been on the road all across Europe many many times), so I've probably seen more concerts than most people here :)

However, a concert is a once-in-a-lifetime experience - it's something you only can experience right there and then, standing in the crowd, feeling the people around you, feel the rhythm of the music through the speakers, and "smelling" the atmosphere. I just don't get that from a TV ... It feels wrong to watch a concert on TV for me, and I just don't have the patience to pay attention to it that way. I live album on CD is different, I can enjoy the heck out of that, because it doesn't require me to sit and look at the screen.
oh okay that makes sense then............ I get ya

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:21 pm

SORCERER / Reign of the Reaper --

Claus and I have talked this one to death - and we both agree that Sorcerer is starting to abandon their pure Doom mode, and heading into a more Power Metal direction, but with its dark feelings in place. Die hard fans of the band will still tell you that this is still Doom, except more polished, commercialized, what have you.....when all is said and done, all you need to do is take their past few discs and listen ..... you will hear the Doom slowly fading into the background for a more power metal style .... even the mainstream reviews mostly say that the band has changed direction, use the wording Power Metal now, less gloomy, less doomy, etc etc .....

That all said - this is still a great Sorcerer disc, and what makes it so special ( again ) is Andy Engberg at the vocal helm ..... he just takes whatever is before him, and moves it up to another level. Take Tony Martin for example ... he did the same thing with Black Sabbath. When they started not to sound like Black Sabbath, you didn't care because his vocals were just so incredible, you had to like it .....

I had not listened to this enough before writing my year end list - and I put it in the Top 20 without hearing a note..... but when I hear Andy singing this material, I really don't care what he is singing in Sorcerer, it just kicks my ass and I end up loving it ..... make no mistake, this is not Crowning of the King ...... but Sorcerer doesn't release sub-par material. Its just that whatever they are doing, Andy makes it sound so much better, and this disc is no different ..... absolutely first rate.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:32 pm

LarryD wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:21 pm
..... he just takes whatever is before him, and moves it up to another level. Take Tony Martin for example ... he did the same thing with Black Sabbath. When they started not to sound like Black Sabbath, you didn't care because his vocals were just so incredible, you had to like it .....
Your post made me put on BLACK SABBATH "Headless Cross". This album is just a masterpiece - there's no other way to describe it. I love everything about it; from Iommi's guitars, to Cozy Powell's drums, to the production, to the dark lyrics, to all the superb songs (When Death Calls, Black Moon Rising, Devil & Daughter...), and of course Tony Martin's incredible voice.

Even to this day, I strongly believe, that listening to Tony sing here is one of my top 5 vocal performances of all time. I feel like we've done that list years ago either here or on the other PM board?! Anyone remember?

Man, I remember picking this up back in the record store a mile away from my parents house back in 1989. I even remember where inside the store it was place, I remember the weather that day, and I remember the first time listening to the album once I made it home.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:18 am

Your post made me put on BLACK SABBATH "Headless Cross". This album is just a masterpiece - there's no other way to describe it. I love everything about it; from Iommi's guitars, to Cozy Powell's drums, to the production, to the dark lyrics, to all the superb songs (When Death Calls, Black Moon Rising, Devil & Daughter...), and of course Tony Martin's incredible voice.

Even to this day, I strongly believe, that listening to Tony sing here is one of my top 5 vocal performances of all time. I feel like we've done that list years ago either here or on the other PM board?! Anyone remember?

Man, I remember picking this up back in the record store a mile away from my parents house back in 1989. I even remember where inside the store it was place, I remember the weather that day, and I remember the first time listening to the album once I made it home.

****Good call ..... and yes to all of that. For me, it was one of those moments where I felt that Black Sabbath was no more than a cover band (yes, even in my younger years, I felt this way about 1-2 original members of a band calling themselves the original name ), after hearing Tony Martin sing this disc, I was hooked on him until Cross Purposes (live) where I felt he had outlived his time with the band.

Cool story - some of you might remember the band Digital Ruin. I used to hang with them back in the day, and someone suggested playing The Eternal Idol. We were at my house, and I would let the boys pick out tunes to either hear for the first time ( Pain of Salvation comes to mind here ), or just play some classics.....they picked Eternal Idol and the raves began ......and the crosstalk about which one was better, this one or Headless Cross ..... I don't remember the outcome, but it's cool that we all have our stories to tell over certain bands / music ......

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:58 am

LarryD wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:18 am
.....they picked Eternal Idol and the raves began ......and the crosstalk about which one was better, this one or Headless Cross ..... I don't remember the outcome, but it's cool that we all have our stories to tell over certain bands / music ......
While I like "Eternal Idol" quite a bit, I think both "Tyr" and "Headless Cross" are far superior. With "Eternal Idol" it was easy to hear that it wasn't written for Tony Martin (also, the bonus track for "Headless Cross" was an older track that was written for the EI-sessions, and therefor doesn't sound as perfect for Tony's voice as HC does).
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:11 pm

Had 11 meetings and stand-ups today at work, so not a ton of time to listen to music. That said, managed to listen to While Heaven Wept ("Vast Oceans..." and "Suspended at Apherlion") - also listened to Dead Lord's "Goodbye Repentance" (remastered version), and went for a run over my lunch break and listened to A7X "Life is but a dream...".
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:50 am

Noveria "Gates of the Underworld"

Musically a Symphony X clone, but with vocals more akin to Italian power metal. I believe this is their third album, and they keep getting stronger. Musically this is SPOT ON SX right down to the guitar tones and keyboard orchestrations.... Only thing holding it back is I want to hear that classic SX super full, uber melodic chorus and they don't nail it here as strong as SX did.

If I ever get around to a top 10 list for 2023, this is probably a top 5 for me.