What are you listening to right now?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Mardoch
Site Admin

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Mardoch » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:36 am

Finally picked up the latest two Ihsahn EPs when I got the new LP, so going through all of those now. Telemark is a bit too old school black metal for me, but Pharos is interesting and more to my tastes. Can't wait for the new album to hit. After that I've got the new Hand of Kaillach in the queue and then I'll probably listen to Ions again cause that's really hitting the mark for me.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:09 am

Ihsahn's new S/T is probably his best work to date. It might take over from Arktis as my favorite at this rate.

This track in particular made me sit up straight and focus

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:46 pm

I only recently rigged a CD player in my Bronco so I've been able to pull some stuff from the shelf that I hadn't heard in quite a while, in some cases decades...

Angel Dust/Bleed - Music is so good, vocals are a bit coarse for me.
Superior/Ultima Ratio - Def ratcheted up the aggression from Behind. Not sure the vocalist needed to go this direction. He could've kept his cleans on this album.
Shift/Creating a Monster - This is Rich Davis from Mystic Force. It's some pretty cool modern metal(as modern as 2007 got). It's a nice mix of MF and Disturbed. Forgot how good this was.
The Dust Connection/Trails - Pleasant enough prog metal from the Netherlands. Singer was a bit overly dramatic but still pretty good stuff.
Solid Vision/The Hurricane - Really unappreciated Italian prog metal, and that's likely due to nobody other than me knowing about them. I like most of their stuff better than what country-mates Labyrinth released.
Chiaroscuro/Brilliant Pools - If production were better this would be a classic. As-is it's still pretty damn good. In 1999 this was indie prog cutting edge.
Vox Tempus/Eye of Time - This album will never go out of regular rotation for me. Still a top 15 all-time for me. I have a personal connection to this album and band, so my bias is very overt.

I'll have more as I peruse the CD shelves more. I am trying to find a band that the name escapes me. Should have been in the 1998-2000 era, more of a groove metal prog band. Had a singer that was in the original PM group with Bear and Ralf. Album cover had a cybernetic dismembered body? I can see the freakin cover in my aging mind but cannot get the name.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:18 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:46 pm
I'll have more as I peruse the CD shelves more. I am trying to find a band that the name escapes me. Should have been in the 1998-2000 era, more of a groove metal prog band. Had a singer that was in the original PM group with Bear and Ralf. Album cover had a cybernetic dismembered body? I can see the freakin cover in my aging mind but cannot get the name.
Holy Fuck I remembered! Gracepoint!

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:54 am

Superior/Ultima Ratio - Def ratcheted up the aggression from Behind. Not sure the vocalist needed to go this direction. He could've kept his cleans on this album.
Shift/Creating a Monster - This is Rich Davis from Mystic Force. It's some pretty cool modern metal(as modern as 2007 got). It's a nice mix of MF and Disturbed. Forgot how good this was.
The Dust Connection/Trails - Pleasant enough prog metal from the Netherlands. Singer was a bit overly dramatic but still pretty good stuff.
Solid Vision/The Hurricane - Really unappreciated Italian prog metal, and that's likely due to nobody other than me knowing about them. I like most of their stuff better than what country-mates Labyrinth released.
Chiaroscuro/Brilliant Pools - If production were better this would be a classic. As-is it's still pretty damn good. In 1999 this was indie prog cutting edge.
Vox Tempus/Eye of Time - This album will never go out of regular rotation for me. Still a top 15 all-time for me. I have a personal connection to this album and band, so my bias is very overt.
Lots of great stuff here! Angel Dust and Superior NEVER get old. Not familiar with Shift or Dust Connection. Solid Vision had a couple EXCELLENT DT clone discs, hence did the backing gig for Dominici's albums; enjoy all their stuff! Chiarascuro and Vox Tempus also a couple of very under the radar gems.....

GOOD LIST sir...... Good list!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:28 pm

All great stuff there -- it inspires me to go back to the rack and start pulling out some of the oldies to see if they hold up against time ........

Definitely agree on the Chiaroscurro ..... monster indie disc. Superior does and will always hold a special place in my musical heart ....... fantastic band and seeing them at Prog Power was one of my bucket list bands .......man the old days were so amazing. I miss so much about them ........

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:28 am

I scooped up both Kaiju albums on Bandcamp Friday yesterday and I'm giving them a proper listen now. Todd's son described them as a "tech/djent band that only ever listened to Alice in Chains' Dirt until the tape broke" and I think that's a pretty good description. Very interesting and good. They've got a bit different of a sound compared to anything else going right now I think.

https://kaijurox.bandcamp.com/album/rise-to-nova
https://kaijurox.bandcamp.com/album/k2

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:31 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:03 am
introclaus wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:15 pm
SYNCATTO - Fiction
Unsurprisingly, I really like that. I'm going to be checking out more of that really soon.
Yup, I immediately thought about you when I heard it.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:33 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:28 am
I scooped up both Kaiju albums on Bandcamp Friday yesterday and I'm giving them a proper listen now. Todd's son described them as a "tech/djent band that only ever listened to Alice in Chains' Dirt until the tape broke" and I think that's a pretty good description. Very interesting and good. They've got a bit different of a sound compared to anything else going right now I think.

I didn't pick up the "Dirt" references on "K2" when I listened to it a while ago, instead I hear some Spiritbox in there (which I seem to remember you like a lot) ... I'll go back and listen some more.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:34 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:09 am
Ihsahn's new S/T is probably his best work to date. It might take over from Arktis as my favorite at this rate.

Yes, agree 100% that this is his best solo work so far.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:36 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:46 pm
All three a great albums. I do think both Angel Dust and Superior made better albums earlier on, but both are super solid.

Chiaroscuro was sooooo ahead of their time. We tried and tried to get them signed, and Century Media came close, but it just never happened. What a bummer. "Brilliant Pools" (and the later demos) were just incredible.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:52 pm

BLAZING ETERNITY - One Thousand Lights
The best gothic black metal band ever return after a 20 year silence! I love this band so much - from their demo days, through their two fantastic albums in 2000 ("Times and Unknown Waters") and 2003 ("A World to Drown In"), this band managed to combine the melancholy of gothic rock with black metal in a way not many bands have accomplished ... think early Katatonia, Fields of Nephilim, Dissection, Sisters of Mercy, Saturnus, Agalloch, Swallow the Sun, Tribulation, Empryium, all blended together and you have a hint of what this band sounded like ... well, sounds like (present tense), as their new single "One Thousand Lights" perfectly follows the way the band set forth all those years ago. I used to spend a lot of time around these guys back in the day, lots of drunken nights at various pubs/bodegas in Copenhagen, and some awesome concerts (including a hilarious European tour). Of all the albums coming up in 2024, this has to be my most anticipated release.
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:26 pm

Angel Witch\Angel Witch\04-Confused
Hardline\Double Eclipse\12-In The Hands Of Time
Solstice\Circles\05-Medicine
Angel Witch\Screamin' Assault\03-Frontal Assault
Madsword\The Global Village\04-Darkened Rooms
Queensrÿche\Rage For Order\07-Neue Regel
Voïvod\Dimension Hatröss\01-Experiment
Dokken\Under Lock And Key\02-The Hunter
Black Sabbath\The Eternal Idol\09-Eternal Idol
Landmarq\Solitary Witness\01-Killing Fields
Power\Justice Of Fire\04-Rising Son (Through The Eyes Of God)
Saviour Machine\Saviour Machine II\03-Enter The Idol
Scorpions\Savage Amusement\01-Don't Stop At The Top
Soul Cages\Moments\02-The Naked Word
Styx\Greatest Hits\15-Mr. Roboto
Winger\In The Heart Of The Young\03-Miles Away
Wolverine\Cold Light Of Monday\03-New Best Friends
Aaron, Lee\Lee Aaron\03-Only Human
Enchant\Blink Of An Eye\01-Under Fire
Armored Saint\Delirious Nomad\02-Nervous Man
Redemption\The Origins Of Ruin\09-Fall On You
Foreigner\Agent Provocateur\03-I Want To Know What Love Is
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:36 am

GaetanL wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:26 pm
Madsword\The Global Village\04-Darkened Rooms
Queensrÿche\Rage For Order\07-Neue Regel
Voïvod\Dimension Hatröss\01-Experiment
Black Sabbath\The Eternal Idol\09-Eternal Idol
Power\Justice Of Fire\04-Rising Son (Through The Eyes Of God)
Saviour Machine\Saviour Machine II\03-Enter The Idol
Scorpions\Savage Amusement\01-Don't Stop At The Top
Soul Cages\Moments\02-The Naked Word
Winger\In The Heart Of The Young\03-Miles Away
Wolverine\Cold Light Of Monday\03-New Best Friends
Enchant\Blink Of An Eye\01-Under Fire
Armored Saint\Delirious Nomad\02-Nervous Man
Foreigner\Agent Provocateur\03-I Want To Know What Love Is
All of these are awesome. Sounds like one heck of a listening experience.
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:12 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:33 pm
Mardoch wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:28 am

I didn't pick up the "Dirt" references on "K2" when I listened to it a while ago, instead I hear some Spiritbox in there (which I seem to remember you like a lot) ... I'll go back and listen some more.
Not as much on K2, which I agree has some Spiritbox kind of vibes, but definitely on the first album.

giedrius

Post by giedrius » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:23 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:09 am

I also agree with this. I have never been a huge fan, but I listened to his earlier albums and this one I like most, it has a very cinematic feel.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:34 pm

Bonus track from latest Kamelot I did not have...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICzMZYwhHLc

Wish they would put all of their bonus tracks on a CD for sale. So many great tunes!

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:15 pm

Angel Witch\Angel Of Light\01-Don't Turn Your Back
April Wine\The Nature Of The Beast\01-All Over Town
Tesla\Psychotic Supper\05-Song & Emotion
Stone Fury\Burns Like A Star\01-Break Down The Walls
Redemption\I Am The Storm\04-The Emotional Depiction Of Light
Def Leppard\Retro Active\01-Desert Song
Judas Priest\Stained Class\06-Saints In Hell
Queensrÿche\Rage For Order\01-Walk In The Shadows
Voïvod\Killing Technology\06-Ravenous Medicine
Tomorrow's Eve\Mirror Of Creation\01-Prof. Brandon
Tomorrow's Eve\Mirror Of Creation\02-Optimization
Andromeda\Extension Of The Wish (Definitive Extension)\06-Extension Of The Wish
Aragon\The Meeting\01-The Meeting
Asgard\Arkana\02-Wulfstan
Sylvan\Posthumous Silence\03-In Chains
Pretty Maids\Pandemonium\03-Little Drops Of Heaven
Twisted Sister\Under The Blade (1985 Remix)\07-Under The Blade
Various Artists\Keep It True XV (Friday)\33-Locust (Psychotic Waltz)
Echosilence\Distorted Horizon\01-Views On Views
Queensrÿche\Queensrÿche (2013)\11-Open Road
Gaétan

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:11 am

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:34 pm
Bonus track from latest Kamelot I did not have...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICzMZYwhHLc

Wish they would put all of their bonus tracks on a CD for sale. So many great tunes!
This is an interesting song, in that it reminds more of early Khan-era style than anything they've done with Tommy. Good song though.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:12 am

GaetanL wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:15 pm
Tesla\Psychotic Supper\05-Song & Emotion
Queensrÿche\Rage For Order\01-Walk In The Shadows
Voïvod\Killing Technology\06-Ravenous Medicine
Twisted Sister\Under The Blade (1985 Remix)\07-Under The Blade
Killer stuff!
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:46 pm

Epica - Rivers - by FAR the best ballad Simone has ever sung. Absolutely breath-taking. There's no other way to put it, not to mention incredibly deep and introspective lyrics.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:06 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:46 pm
Epica - Rivers - by FAR the best ballad Simone has ever sung. Absolutely breath-taking. There's no other way to put it, not to mention incredibly deep and introspective lyrics.
Yes, it's a beautiful song. Not quite sure what the lyrics mean ... something about moving on from a situation you're stuck in. Either way, music and beautiful and Simone sounds awesome on this. I think "Omega" was their best overall album so far, just a little bit too long.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:13 am

TRENCHWAR - From the Earth to the Moon
Turkish thrash metal band. I enjoyed the debut, and this one continues in the same style of old school US thrash meets Teutonic thrash (Exodus meets Destruction?). Biggest issue I have with it is the production of the vocals ... it sounds like they are at a much higher level in the sound-picture than the rest of the instruments, and they have a strange echo effect on them that I don't like. It's quite gritty vocals (not real thrash style, perhaps a bit more in a low rumble death style), and I can see them being a deterrent for people who otherwise would have given the band a chance. A shame, as the music is good basic old school thrash with no modern elements.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:41 am

SHADOHM - Through Darkness Towards Enlightenment
Their press release says: "Their debut, Through Darkness Towards Enlightenment, is a modern combination of styles, citing acts like Architects, Lorna Shore, Meshuggah, Gojira, and Katatonia, shocking to the listener from start to finish with five tracks of melodic trance with amazing vocals that will take you to another dimension of modern metal, created by a conglomerate of experienced professionals." You know I couldn't resist checking it out based on that description, so here goes ... Music is HEAVY in places (the track "Blurred" almost starts off as a funeral doom song before going into a Meshuggah frenzied djent), it is progressive and quite technical (opening track "Through Darkness" reminds me of Persefone), it is quirky ("Fair-weather Friend" definitely touches on the Gojira style), it nicely balances between aggressive and melodic and has some slight modern 'core elements in places (in particular on "Ripped Apart"), and it's epic and dark (final tune "Towards Enlightment" has a huge build up and really is a good example of how unique this band is).
Do I agree with the press release on all of those elements? Hmmm, sort of ... and then again, it's easy to throw out a lot of buzz-words and band names, as we all hear different things, right? All that said, had this been a full length album instead of a 30 minute EP it would end up on my year end list, no doubt, and most likely in top 30. There's a ton of great stuff going on here, very unique blend and very much a band that thinks of "progressive" as meaning going-forward, rather than a genre-description.
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:52 pm

introclaus wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:06 am
prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:46 pm
Yes, it's a beautiful song. Not quite sure what the lyrics mean ... something about moving on from a situation you're stuck in. Either way, music and beautiful and Simone sounds awesome on this. I think "Omega" was their best overall album so far, just a little bit too long.
100% agree with you!

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:14 pm

Work day playlist:

Rush "Critical Mass" - live boot from Auburn Hills (next door to where I grew up!) from the 1994 tour.
Shadows of Steel s/t - Italian power metal from the early 2000s featuring Wild Steel on vocals, most notable for his infatuation with sounding and looking like Midnight.
Motley Crue "Shout at the Devil" - Good for a couple of tracks, several more that can completely be thrown away
Opeth "Still Life" - First discovered the band with "Orchid", but this was the first album that TRULY blew the doors off for me. "The Moor" is a timeless classic.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:13 am

introclaus wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:41 am
Their press release says: "Their debut, Through Darkness Towards Enlightenment, is a modern combination of styles, citing acts like Architects, Lorna Shore, Meshuggah, Gojira, and Katatonia, shocking to the listener from start to finish with five tracks of melodic trance with amazing vocals that will take you to another dimension of modern metal, created by a conglomerate of experienced professionals." You know I couldn't resist checking it out based on that description, so here goes ... Music is HEAVY in places (the track "Blurred" almost starts off as a funeral doom song before going into a Meshuggah frenzied djent), it is progressive and quite technical (opening track "Through Darkness" reminds me of Persefone), it is quirky ("Fair-weather Friend" definitely touches on the Gojira style), it nicely balances between aggressive and melodic and has some slight modern 'core elements in places (in particular on "Ripped Apart"), and it's epic and dark (final tune "Towards Enlightment" has a huge build up and really is a good example of how unique this band is).
Do I agree with the press release on all of those elements? Hmmm, sort of ... and then again, it's easy to throw out a lot of buzz-words and band names, as we all hear different things, right? All that said, had this been a full length album instead of a 30 minute EP it would end up on my year end list, no doubt, and most likely in top 30. There's a ton of great stuff going on here, very unique blend and very much a band that thinks of "progressive" as meaning going-forward, rather than a genre-description.
This is "all over the place" but it's all the places they told you they'd go, and they're all good. I hope we get more out of these folks, because this is fantastic stuff.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:00 am

introclaus wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:59 pm
EXTERNAL - Dreamscapes
A Finnish prog-metal band in the "new" style similar to Caligula's Horse, Haken, Leprous, etc.
Finally checking this one out and yeah, I really dig this too.

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:15 pm

Krokus\Headhunter\01-Headhunter
Saraya\When The Blackbird Sings\04-When You See Me Again
Dickinson, Bruce\Accident Of Birth\08-Accident Of Birth
Night Ranger\Midnight Madness\02-Rumours In The Air
April Wine\Harder... Faster\05-Before The Dawn
Redemption\I Am The Storm\04-The Emotional Depiction Of Light
Tesla\Psychotic Supper\02-Edison's Medicine
Tyketto\Don't Come Easy\01-Forever Young
Madsword\The Global Village\03-How Much Progress
Psychotic Waltz\Into The Everflow\02-Out Of Mind
Anvil\Forged In Fire\10-Winged Assassins
Arena\Immortal?\03-The Butterfly Man
Foreigner\Agent Provocateur\02-That Was Yesterday
Headpins\Turn It Loud\08-Breakin' Down
Poison\Open Up And Say... Ahh!\07-Fallen Angel
Queensrÿche\Empire\01-Best I Can
Heaven's Cry\Food For Thought Substitute (2013 Remix)\04-The Alchemist
Into Eternity\Dead Or Dreaming\08-Dead Or Dreaming
Stramonio\Seasons Of Imagination\01-Awake The Jester
Superior\Behind\01-The Truth Ain't Kind
W.A.S.P\W.A.S.P\08-Sleeping (In The Fire)
Last edited by GaetanL on Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaétan

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:06 am

Spent virtually all day working, which sucked ass, but I listened to some Sungazer (electro fusion jazz weirdness) and then scrolled up and hit Sunburst - Fragments of Creation, which I'd forgotten how much I love.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:22 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:13 am
introclaus wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:41 am
This is "all over the place" but it's all the places they told you they'd go, and they're all good. I hope we get more out of these folks, because this is fantastic stuff.
Yes, I figured you'd like it as well. It's very interesting and hopefully this is a band we'll hear a lot more from in the future.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:25 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:06 am
... and then scrolled up and hit Sunburst - Fragments of Creation, which I'd forgotten how much I love.
Interestingly this came up this week for me as well. Been a while since I listened. It still gives me the Conception meets Nevermore vibes, which is a great thing. I believe they are working on a second album, so hopefully we'll see that in 2024.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:32 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:25 pm
Mardoch wrote:
... and then scrolled up and hit Sunburst - Fragments of Creation, which I'd forgotten how much I love.
Interestingly this came up this week for me as well. Been a while since I listened. It still gives me the Conception meets Nevermore vibes, which is a great thing. I believe they are working on a second album, so hopefully we'll see that in 2024.

****Great great disc !!!!!!!!!!!

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:32 pm

introclaus wrote:
Mardoch wrote:
Yeah I'd forgotten how Nevermore-ish the riffs are. I'll definitely be there to snag a new album if we get one this year.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:25 am

LarryD wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:32 pm
introclaus wrote:
Mardoch wrote:

****Great great disc !!!!!!!!!!!

The sad part is their demo sounded better than the release. Not sure what happened or what producer got ahold of their stuff and muddied it down, but it's nearly criminal. Break the Core sounded so massive and punchy in the original form rather than the drop-tuned, djent-ish stuff we ended up with.

Overall pretty good for me, but could have been so much more.