What are you listening to right now?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Sir Exar Kun

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 31, 2023 10:23 am

SAVIOUR MACHINE / II --
Of all the SM discs, I feel that this one is the most proggy in the classic sense, as well as capturing some of the best SM emotion to date ....... since I loved the latest Eric Clayton solo release, I grabbed this to see how well it would stand the test of time. The music is fabulous - the drama and emotion are still top notch ...... if anything irked me along the way, it was the monotony. Some of the music just dragged on with the same riff over and over and I found myself starting to get antsy during these "samey" passages. That said, this could still be my fav SM disc.

ROYAL HUNT / Paradox -
I hadn't played this for quite awhile .....and I mean quite awhile. I was pleasantly rewarded with goosebumps when I heard some of these songs again, and I was reminded of the "old days" when releases like this just blew us away and it was talked about for months and months to come ...... River of Pain and Message to God just gave me chills to listen to, and to me this is DC at his best. I've been a casual fan since this release, and then dropped off over the years but listening to this disc just excited the hell out of me and I'm ready to pull out the DVD of this show, which is also magic.

SUPERIOR / Behind -
I knew already that this I wasn't going to be disappointed when hearing this one after some time passed......and I was once again rewarded with those goosebumps that I got from Paradox above, but even moreso this time as this disc represents an emotional / personal time for me back during this time ......I will never forget the day that the great Erik Welty laid this and House of Spirits / Turn of the Tide on me at the same time. It could be one of the best 1/2 punches for me ever. The heaviness, the raw emotional vocal delivery (I thought Michal Tangermann was God at the time), the drama in this music was and is nothing short of spectacular. If there was ever a band that I wish would have continued on, it would have been this one along with Dreamscape. Getting to see them at Prog Power (mucho thanks to Glenn) was otherworldly for me.

SHADOW GALLERY / Tyranny -
And now we come to the masterpiece......and is it still a masterpiece to me ? Absolutely and no question about it - YES. This one sails above most of all else for me in the world of music ... and is up there with Operation: Mindcrime for not only desert island disc, but also for concept disc. This disc is just magical on all counts, especially the vocal delivery and music melodies. I would have liked to be in that room when these melodies were being written. How someone could come up with these melodies in each and every song on this disc is beyond my comprehension of music writing. The personal memories that this disc brings are countless, and the release gave me the same feeling I had upon discovering Images and Words when it came out. There was nothing like it. It never gets old, I never FF thru any songs, and it's beyond wife approved every time I play it. And once again, as an added bonus, thanks to Glenn for bringing them to ProgPower - and even though Mike wasn't there (RIP my friend), that show was magic in the making. Just pure bliss. A disc for the ages for me.
Holy balls, man, now THAT is a killer playlist!!!! All four are gems!!!!

Savior Machine - Agreed, SM II is probably the high point of their career. The Revelations (?) trilogy was ambitious as hell and while it has moments of brilliance, it also gets overly caught up in the melodrama and loses the musical element that made the early material special.

Royal Hunt - Couldn't agree more, and you described the emotion of hearing this that first time perfectly. Total goosebump moment. For me, I heard this almost the same time as Symphony X "Divine Wings" with MidKnight Zar, and that made the killer 1/2 punch you mention with Superior!

Superior - Agreed 100% on the loss of this band..... Would LOVE to have heard where they went after Ultima Ratio, as that was a brilliant album. Was actually listening to the new Ricochet album this morning (slightly underwhelming as it has a different singer) and was thinking of Superior as the last album sounded much like where I think they would have gone....

Shadow Gallery - This is objectively their best album, but still and all I will almost always grab one of the first two albums over this one. Personal taste, just LOVE the songwriting on that debut release even though it has the drum machines..... Definitely glad they got to grace the PP stage, and seeing them in the mountains of Pennsylvania at their first live show will always be one of my favorite concert memories.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 31, 2023 1:58 pm

Today's playlist:

Imperium "Too Short a Season" - Dutch precursor to Sphere of Souls, but sounding more akin to the thrashy side of prog metal ala Anacrusis or maybe a bit of Toxik. Very ahead of its time, but alas.... One and done

Ricochet "Kazakhstan" - First new album from this outfit in something like 15 years? Songwriting is strong, but the new singer rubs me a bit the wrong way. This is a crazy statement, but I hear a mix of Paul Manzi and Blaze Bailet (sp?), with a dash of Messiah Marcolan tossed in here and there. Really, though, the previous singer off the Zarah album was much stronger.

Kingcrow "Insider" - Early album that stylistically is quite different than their recent BRILLIANT trilogy of albums.... Not a bad album, but very RAW.

LA Guns "Hollywood Vampires" - Sometimes you need to toss in a little 80s hair metal.....

Zen "Gaze into the Light" - Italian DT clone band, one of the best in an explosive niche circa late 90s. Alas, another one and done....

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed May 31, 2023 8:51 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:58 pm
Imperium "Too Short a Season" - Dutch precursor to Sphere of Souls, but sounding more akin to the thrashy side of prog metal ala Anacrusis or maybe a bit of Toxik. Very ahead of its time, but alas.... One and done
Yes, quite good thrash-prog / tech-thrash. The singer is the guy who sang on the first Sun Caged. Not the greatest singer in the world, but ...
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Ricochet "Kazakhstan" - First new album from this outfit in something like 15 years? Songwriting is strong, but the new singer rubs me a bit the wrong way. This is a crazy statement, but I hear a mix of Paul Manzi and Blaze Bailet (sp?), with a dash of Messiah Marcolan tossed in here and there. Really, though, the previous singer off the Zarah album was much stronger.
Third album and third singer from these guys. Debut album was wonderful. I was never a huge fan of the "Zarah" album though. The new singer reminds me of Ian Gillan actually ... but yeah, I can hear some Paul Manzi as well (don't hear any Blaze or Messiah). Perhaps even a bit of David Byron? I think "Kazakhstan" is a great disc.
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Kingcrow "Insider" - Early album that stylistically is quite different than their recent BRILLIANT trilogy of albums.... Not a bad album, but very RAW.
Love the last 4 Kingcrow albums. The first 3 not so much.
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
LA Guns "Hollywood Vampires" - Sometimes you need to toss in a little 80s hair metal.....
The first 2 LA Guns were top notch for the genre - the next two (Hollywood Vampires, Vicious Circle) were okay. Anything after that (10 albums?) pretty much sucks.
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Zen "Gaze into the Light" - Italian DT clone band, one of the best in an explosive niche circa late 90s. Alas, another one and done....
I have the album but can't remember last time I listened to it to be honest.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed May 31, 2023 8:58 pm

LarryD wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:09 am
SAVIOUR MACHINE / II --
Of all the SM discs, I feel that this one is the most proggy in the classic sense, as well as capturing some of the best SM emotion to date ....... since I loved the latest Eric Clayton solo release, I grabbed this to see how well it would stand the test of time. The music is fabulous - the drama and emotion are still top notch ...... if anything irked me along the way, it was the monotony. Some of the music just dragged on with the same riff over and over and I found myself starting to get antsy during these "samey" passages. That said, this could still be my fav SM disc.
I listen to this and the debut quite often, but put them on shuffle, so the more proggy stuff on "II" gets mixed up with the more gothic stuff on "I". I think the melodies on the debut are better / more upfront, but the production and the performances on the second are better. I love both equally much. And I think we've had this talk before about how awesome all of their stuff is, although the "Legend" albums are VERY different in an all-out-epic-prog kind of way.

LarryD wrote:
ROYAL HUNT / Paradox -
I hadn't played this for quite awhile .....and I mean quite awhile. I was pleasantly rewarded with goosebumps when I heard some of these songs again, and I was reminded of the "old days" when releases like this just blew us away and it was talked about for months and months to come ...... River of Pain and Message to God just gave me chills to listen to, and to me this is DC at his best. I've been a casual fan since this release, and then dropped off over the years but listening to this disc just excited the hell out of me and I'm ready to pull out the DVD of this show, which is also magic.
Never a bad time to play this one. You made me spin it again today, which is great - must have been at least a few weeks since last time, LOL.
LarryD wrote:
SUPERIOR / Behind -
I knew already that this I wasn't going to be disappointed when hearing this one after some time passed......and I was once again rewarded with those goosebumps that I got from Paradox above, but even moreso this time as this disc represents an emotional / personal time for me back during this time ......I will never forget the day that the great Erik Welty laid this and House of Spirits / Turn of the Tide on me at the same time. It could be one of the best 1/2 punches for me ever. The heaviness, the raw emotional vocal delivery (I thought Michal Tangermann was God at the time), the drama in this music was and is nothing short of spectacular. If there was ever a band that I wish would have continued on, it would have been this one along with Dreamscape. Getting to see them at Prog Power (mucho thanks to Glenn) was otherworldly for me.
Been a while with this one though - great album. Reminds me of my days as a music journalist as I reviewed this one for Metalized Magazine.
LarryD wrote:
And now we come to the masterpiece......and is it still a masterpiece to me ? Absolutely and no question about it - YES. This one sails above most of all else for me in the world of music ... and is up there with Operation: Mindcrime for not only desert island disc, but also for concept disc. This disc is just magical on all counts, especially the vocal delivery and music melodies. I would have liked to be in that room when these melodies were being written. How someone could come up with these melodies in each and every song on this disc is beyond my comprehension of music writing. The personal memories that this disc brings are countless, and the release gave me the same feeling I had upon discovering Images and Words when it came out. There was nothing like it. It never gets old, I never FF thru any songs, and it's beyond wife approved every time I play it. And once again, as an added bonus, thanks to Glenn for bringing them to ProgPower - and even though Mike wasn't there (RIP my friend), that show was magic in the making. Just pure bliss. A disc for the ages for me.
Never a bad time for this one either. Gets a spin every second month or so and every time it makes me play it multiple times in a row.
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:49 am

NP: The Carpenters Greatest Hits. Not sure how everyone feels about the Carpenters, but to me Karen has the voice of an angel and is truly one of a kind!

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:00 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:49 am
NP: The Carpenters Greatest Hits. Not sure how everyone feels about the Carpenters, but to me Karen has the voice of an angel and is truly one of a kind!
110% agreed! There never was and never will be anyone like her.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:49 am

***I'm glad you pointed this out ...... I liked the previous singer and didn't know they switched.......doesn't sound like something I would like. I was waiting for someone to mention this disc ....... I actually played Zarah a few weeks ago and could not get thru the whole thing ........

***All I keep in my mind is Phelegethon forward ........ :P

****Ugh ......I hated this band. If I wanted hair metal, the first band I reach for is Dokken. Every time.

****I need to gran this one and see how it stands the time test .... I loved it back in the day ........

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:52 am

LarryD wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:49 am

***I'm glad you pointed this out ...... I liked the previous singer and didn't know they switched.......doesn't sound like something I would like. I was waiting for someone to mention this disc ....... I actually played Zarah a few weeks ago and could not get thru the whole thing ........

First album is where it's at for me.
"Zarah" bored me unfortunately - I wanted to like it.
New album is awesome - it'll end up high on my year end list, and singer is great (very Ian Gillan'eque).

Larry, please don't pass this one up. It's exactly the kind of music you like (think Poverty's No Crime, Superior, Sanvoisen ... and then a hint of Uriah Heep, Deep Purple as well).
Claus Jensen

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:50 am

Funny, as I revisited all 4 myself not so long ago...

LarryD wrote:
SAVIOUR MACHINE / II --
Yep, monotony is the issue I always had with this disc (besides the notable drop in quality after the first excellent 3-4 tracks). But I can see its appeal and I agree it's SM best effort.

LarryD wrote:
ROYAL HUNT / Paradox -
This one aged incredibly well for me, too. I mean, I think I like it better now than back in the day! I actually put this in heavy rotation for a while one or two months ago. This is the one and only RH I ever got into.

LarryD wrote:
SUPERIOR / Behind -
You always liked this one way more than I did, but I agree it's a very good album. For my taste, it's a bit uneven: some amazing tracks next to a few lackluster numbers (Truth Ain't Kind, Dial 911, ...).

LarryD wrote:
Indeed, up there with the all time greatest.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:42 pm

I am currently on a Night Ranger and Extreme binge ........ loved both of these bands in the 80s ........and still do. Both have two of the best guitarists ever in Brad Gillis (NR) and Nuno Bettencourt (EX).

I've whipped out all of my DVD shows of these bands, and currently playing a Night Ranger show from the 80s. Was able to catch Night Ranger twice in my years, and never was able to see Extreme despite them being 1.5 hrs from me when I lived up in the Northeast .......timing just didn't work.

MitchG

Post by MitchG » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:41 pm

LarryD wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:42 pm
I am currently on a Night Ranger and Extreme binge ........ loved both of these bands in the 80s ........and still do. Both have two of the best guitarists ever in Brad Gillis (NR) and Nuno Bettencourt (EX).

I've whipped out all of my DVD shows of these bands, and currently playing a Night Ranger show from the 80s. Was able to catch Night Ranger twice in my years, and never was able to see Extreme despite them being 1.5 hrs from me when I lived up in the Northeast .......timing just didn't work.
I would actually submit that Jeff Watson was a more impressive player than Brad Gillis (which just goes to show what an amazing two-guitar attack that band had). I thought Gillis was the flashier of the two but that Watson was actually tastier and more proficient.

Re: Extreme...I really didn't care for this band back in the day, and really disliked Cherone (both his voice and the way he carried himself...very similar to my feelings about LaBrie). But that first new single from the latest album really did blow me away, so I need to check out the album.
-MG
"This day is overrated now that I'm awake"

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:32 pm

MitchG wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:41 pm
Re: Extreme...I really didn't care for this band back in the day, and really disliked Cherone (both his voice and the way he carried himself...very similar to my feelings about LaBrie). But that first new single from the latest album really did blow me away, so I need to check out the album.
I always liked Extreme, even if the first two albums were a bit "goofy". The third one is a through-and-through wonderful album though - very inspired and really in essence a progressive hard rock album, more than a hair metal album.

New album: Been through it twice, and besides perhaps two-three great songs, it's pretty lackluster and not at all what I had hoped for. Sure, phenomenal guitar playing, and Gary's voice have held up pretty well, but musically it's just not doing it for me.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:28 pm

introclaus wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:32 pm
MitchG wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:41 pm
I always liked Extreme, even if the first two albums were a bit "goofy". The third one is a through-and-through wonderful album though - very inspired and really in essence a progressive hard rock album, more than a hair metal album.

New album: Been through it twice, and besides perhaps two-three great songs, it's pretty lackluster and not at all what I had hoped for. Sure, phenomenal guitar playing, and Gary's voice have held up pretty well, but musically it's just not doing it for me.
****I had heard the same thing about the new one ....... nothing special, and no need to buy. Sad considering the band's history. And I agree as you know, that Three Sides is desert island disc for me ....... superb.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:30 pm

I would actually submit that Jeff Watson was a more impressive player than Brad Gillis (which just goes to show what an amazing two-guitar attack that band had). I thought Gillis was the flashier of the two but that Watson was actually tastier and more proficient.

***I've heard this discussion from others as well ..... and some guitarists chimed on too. Watson seems to be the preferred player amongst guitar players. But I remember, after Randy Rhoads died, Ozzy brought Brad Gillis in fill his shoes, and I was hooked since. I knew Brad from Night Ranger at the time, but I never knew he could be capable of filling some of the best shoes in the business. I've been a BG fan ever since ....... to this day, the guy hasn't lost anything.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:56 am

introclaus wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:00 am
prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:49 am
110% agreed! There never was and never will be anyone like her.
I actually hear a lot of Karen in Floor's vocals.

When she does the acoustic stuff it's very prominent. I've always thought she was a mix between Ann Wilson and Karen Carpenter. I'm likely way off.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:29 am

EINAR SOLBERG - 16
This guy ... man ... what a voice. I love Leprous, and I could listen to Einar sing all day long. This is honestly not a ton different from the last Leprous albums, except perhaps it's a bit more bringing in outside influences, not just prog and metal, but also hints of electronica and even a rap-part in the song "Home". Lyrically and emotionally this is extremely "introverted"; it's such a personal experience, and it seems like Einar took the whole sad-boi theme a step further than ever before. I could see why this album might not be for everyone, and it's definitely not a happy album, but it's incredible well-done and I'm a hardcore fan, so ...

Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:25 am

THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON - Metamorphosis
I'm not sure if we really needed this: another band with Melissa Bonnet on the microphone, playing a style of symphonic and melodic power metal, not too far from her day job in Ad Infinitum. That said, it's quality stuff, and she sounds as awesome as ever. There's not as much emphasis on her growls here, and perhaps the songs takes a little bit less from the Kamelot and leans more towards the Delain camp of sound, with a hint of folk music added, but it's pretty much what I would have expected. I prefer Ad Infinitum quite a bit, but this isn't bad in any way, just kind of unnecessary.
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:32 pm

Just got in my copy of the new Scar Symmetry. It's very good and I will likely be sticking with it for a few days.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:28 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:32 pm
Just got in my copy of the new Scar Symmetry. It's very good and I will likely be sticking with it for a few days.
I was surprised by how much I liked it - to be honest, I can enjoy/like most of their stuff, but only really got into "Pitch Black Progress", so my expectations for new album were very low.
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:20 pm

introclaus wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:28 pm
Mardoch wrote:
I was surprised by how much I liked it - to be honest, I can enjoy/like most of their stuff, but only really got into "Pitch Black Progress", so my expectations for new album were very low.
Holographic Universe is by far my favorite..... So many amazing tunes on that CD, and incredible lyrics..........

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:55 am

Today's playlist:

Eumeria "Rebel Mind" - One and done US based prog outfit, sitting on my shelf languishing unlistened in years. LOVING the vocals here.... Just SO smooth.... Think Henrik Bath / Roland from Dreamscape perhaps?

Iced Earth "The Crucible of Man" - Return of Matt Barlow; alas the songs on here are pretty much forgettable.

Psychotic Waltz "God-Shaped Void" - Far and away my favorite PW album, and one of my top 5 albums of 2020. Seriously hope they are working on a followup, as this was musical perfection beginning to end.

Enchant "The Great Divide" - Can't believe this was almost 10 years ago. Like most of their albums, a few really strong songs, and a lot of decent ones. Aside from "Blueprint", that pretty much sums up Enchant for me. I enjoy all their albums, but in small doses.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:14 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:20 pm
introclaus wrote:
Mardoch wrote:
Holographic Universe is by far my favorite..... So many amazing tunes on that CD, and incredible lyrics..........
That album is ludicrously good. Just everything is firing on all cylinders.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:15 am

introclaus wrote:
Mardoch wrote:
I love their entire catalog with only Dark Matter Dimensions feeling notably weak, but that's not a huge ding since they'd just gone from Christian to their double vocalist roster. I might just throw on the whole discography today.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:24 am

OK GOODNIGHT - The Fox & the Bird
This one will end up very high on my year-end list. Incredible blend of modern prog-fusion, classic prog metal and just amazing melodies. Musicianship is through the roof (yet another band made up of former/present Berklee students) and the vocalist is insanely talented.

Claus Jensen

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:49 pm

Superb band. I think they have tremendous potential to blow up. They cross over many musicals genres and art forms.

giedrius

Post by giedrius » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:56 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:55 am
Psychotic Waltz "God-Shaped Void" - Far and away my favorite PW album, and one of my top 5 albums of 2020. Seriously hope they are working on a followup, as this was musical perfection beginning to end.
I like "God-Shaped Void" a lot, it was surprisingly strong after such a long break, even though my favorites are "Social Grace" and "Into the Everflow", maybe because I was more easily influenced by music at younger age :)

I am not sure if they are working on a follow up, especially after listening to latest Devon Graves You tube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4zKtYpWilQ, but who knows what the future will bring.

giedrius

Post by giedrius » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:00 am

introclaus wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:29 am
EINAR SOLBERG - 16
This guy ... man ... what a voice. I love Leprous, and I could listen to Einar sing all day long. This is honestly not a ton different from the last Leprous albums, except perhaps it's a bit more bringing in outside influences, not just prog and metal, but also hints of electronica and even a rap-part in the song "Home". Lyrically and emotionally this is extremely "introverted"; it's such a personal experience, and it seems like Einar took the whole sad-boi theme a step further than ever before. I could see why this album might not be for everyone, and it's definitely not a happy album, but it's incredible well-done and I'm a hardcore fan, so ...

Totally agree! I was not so sold when I heard about his solo album, but the more I listen to it the more I like it. It will most likely end in my top 5 of 2023. The album is very varied and dynamic, and there are lots of things going on with vocals of course. I was lucky to see Einar and his band performing at Prognosis festival in May, the show was very good as well.

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:53 am

giedrius wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:56 am
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:55 am
I like "God-Shaped Void" a lot, it was surprisingly strong after such a long break, even though my favorites are "Social Grace" and "Into the Everflow", maybe because I was more easily influenced by music at younger age :)

I am not sure if they are working on a follow up, especially after listening to latest Devon Graves You tube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4zKtYpWilQ, but who knows what the future will bring.
Thanks for the Devon Graves video. From what I understand this is certainly the end of touring for Psychotic Waltz. Maybe there is hope in the future for a new Psychotic Waltz record if Devon receive new music from the band. One thing that looks sure is that we gonna have a new Deadsoul Tribe album! Something that would sound differently from the previous Deadsoul Tribe albums.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:54 am

giedrius wrote:
I think my ranking would be:
1. Into the Everflow
2. A Social Grace
3. Bleeding
4. God-shaped Void
5. Mosquito

That said, I would probably move "The Strange Mind of..." (Buddy Lackey's solo album) in third spot if I could, as it to me feels like a PW album.
giedrius wrote:
Ugh, that's a sad thing to watch, but it makes sense after he explains about Brian not being able to tour anymore.
Claus Jensen

RickyRock

Post by RickyRock » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:53 am

Avkrvst: The Approbation

Porcupine Tree fans should eat this one up. For my ears this is very good. Curious to know if anyone else has given this a go.
Like I said, if you like PT then you really need to hear this.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:42 pm

RickyRock wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:53 am

Porcupine Tree fans should eat this one up. For my ears this is very good. Curious to know if anyone else has given this a go.
****I'm not a PT fan but I have this one on my list ...... matter of fact I've been browsing The Lasers Edge web site to grab something else along with this one .... as soon as I find something, I'm grabbing it ..... good to know you like it ........

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:47 pm

RickyRock wrote:

I don’t like PT at all - I find them incredibly boring and Steven Wilson has little personality in his voice. Yet, like with Tool, I find a lot of the bands inspired by PT to be way better than their original source and Avkrvst is really good. It so well on my year end list.
Claus Jensen

RickyRock

Post by RickyRock » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:25 pm

Some other discs that have been occupying lots of my time.

Anubis Gate: Interference. Love this band and this one I find myself liking more and more with each listen.

Ray Alder: II. Took a bit but this one is growing on me big time. Rays vocals are like a tonic. Can’t see how anyone could not like them..

Retrospective: Introvert. This one is my most listened to lately. Very infectious prog in the vein of Anathema and Paradox Twin.
Polish prog that I find highly underrated.

I’d love to hear opinions on these as well!! Happy 4th fellow music lovers.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:23 pm

Anubis Gate: Interference. Love this band and this one I find myself liking more and more with each listen.
Very much enjoying this one; has a bit of a modern electronica sound to it that is refreshing here. Probably their best overall since the self-titled album.

Ray Alder is in the pile to be listened to soon.

Favorite new album I've been stuck on is the new Winger. One of those bands that only puts out new material seemingly once a decade or so, but worth the wait....

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:34 am

RickyRock wrote:

****Amazing disc - absolutely melodic bliss. Now if I can only find the disc ....... Lasers Edge seems to be out at the moment. I'm not a PT fan - but if any of their discs can rival this one, please point me to it.

Be aware of the growls here and there ..... I was surprised to hear them on such a soft, atmospheric outing, but there they are ........what a magnificent disc.