What are you listening to right now?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Mardoch
Site Admin

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Mardoch » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:24 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:01 am
To the Grave - Director's Cut
Realizing last year that I actually enjoy deathcore (with both Fit for an Autopsy and Lorna Shore entering my top list), I've been diving a bit deeper into the genre.
Thanks to Mardoch's recommendation, I've been enjoying A Wake in Providence. Also got into Shadow of Intent.
Still not hooked on some of the genre-biggies like Chelsea Grin (although I can see the appeal and I might give their new one a few spins when it hit the streets in a week), Suicide Silence (I actually own one of their albums, but can't remember last time I sat down to listen to it) or Whitechapel.
To the Grave is interesting in that it has the aggression of Chelsea Grin, but also in places goes symphonic and melodic similar to how Lorna Shore does it. It's not a perfect album, but I'm really digging it, and the breakdowns are just sick!
https://youtu.be/jY67FPBNQRE
I gave that one a shot last week. I didn't care for the vocals, but the instrumentation was really cool. That ends up being my vibe with a lot of deathcore, but the good stuff really lands.

Also happy to hear you liked the A Wake in Providence, too! There's a lot of great moments on that album, but the dual vocal sections really land for me. Their guitarist has such a great voice.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:19 pm

GWAR - This Toilet Earth

I fuckin love GWAR. They're a fantastic example of great musicians that don't take themselves seriously except for when they feel like it. RIP Oderus

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:02 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:23 pm
Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel

Finally checking these folks out. I believe I'm a fan now.
Can't wait for the new disc. Singles so far are amazing.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:03 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:24 pm
introclaus wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:01 am
To the Grave - Director's Cut
Realizing last year that I actually enjoy deathcore (with both Fit for an Autopsy and Lorna Shore entering my top list), I've been diving a bit deeper into the genre.
Thanks to Mardoch's recommendation, I've been enjoying A Wake in Providence. Also got into Shadow of Intent.
Still not hooked on some of the genre-biggies like Chelsea Grin (although I can see the appeal and I might give their new one a few spins when it hit the streets in a week), Suicide Silence (I actually own one of their albums, but can't remember last time I sat down to listen to it) or Whitechapel.
To the Grave is interesting in that it has the aggression of Chelsea Grin, but also in places goes symphonic and melodic similar to how Lorna Shore does it. It's not a perfect album, but I'm really digging it, and the breakdowns are just sick!
https://youtu.be/jY67FPBNQRE
I gave that one a shot last week. I didn't care for the vocals, but the instrumentation was really cool. That ends up being my vibe with a lot of deathcore, but the good stuff really lands.

Also happy to hear you liked the A Wake in Providence, too! There's a lot of great moments on that album, but the dual vocal sections really land for me. Their guitarist has such a great voice.
Deathcore is definitely an acquired taste. Most of it goes in one ear and out the other, but a few of them really hits the spot.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:05 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:19 pm
GWAR - This Toilet Earth

I fuckin love GWAR. They're a fantastic example of great musicians that don't take themselves seriously except for when they feel like it. RIP Oderus
I never been the biggest GWAR fan in terms of their albums, but they are lots of fun live. We had them play at the club I used to manage back in Denmark, and I got to spend a day with them ... really sweet guys (that can be said about almost every band I've ever dealt with, except for the token a-holes like Dokken, WASP, and a few others).
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:19 am

Crowne - operation Phoenix
Great stuff. Loved the debut and this one continues down the same path. Yeah, it’s easy listening hard rock, very similar to Eclipse, but I might actually like this even more. One thing that bothers me a bit … the song “Victorious” has borrowed a bit too heavily from Sonata A’s “Fullmoon”. Other than that, wonderful melodic hard rock.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:47 am

Ring of Gyges -Parasite
Debut video out now - Leprous meets Caligula’s Horse? Dang, this is some mighty good stuff.
https://youtu.be/-CoNrLUDfmE
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:00 am

Ring of Gyges -Parasite
Debut video out now - Leprous meets Caligula’s Horse? Dang, this is some mighty good stuff.
Digging this one..... Definitely has that modern crunchy prog sound. Looks like they have a 2017 release ($20 on Bandcamp) with a new album coming soon.

My morning:

Car ride in was Enchant "Break". One of their more radio friendly albums, short melodic tracks..... Not my favorite, but enjoyable.

Sitting here now at my desk it's Haken's "The Mountain". Mixed feelings on this one as it has GREAT moments, but the track sequencing doesn't do it any favors by really limping into the end of the album.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:35 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:00 am
Ring of Gyges -Parasite
Digging this one..... Definitely has that modern crunchy prog sound. Looks like they have a 2017 release ($20 on Bandcamp) with a new album coming soon.
I only casually listened to their old stuff, but this new one sounds great. That video is killer.
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Car ride in was Enchant "Break". One of their more radio friendly albums, short melodic tracks..... Not my favorite, but enjoyable.
Funny enough you should bring up Enchant as I was listening to the above mentioned Ring of Gyges (it's coming out in May, but it's my old company that's managing them, so I might have received a promo copy early, ehmmm) and there's one of the songs on there called "The Choice" that really reminds me of Enchant. I guess it's the Marillion meets Rush influences that's showing through, as I seem to remember that Ring of Gyges used to be more 70's inspired.

Now, back to "Break", yeah it's not my favorite either, but I don't dislike it. In fact, there's only one album (The Great Divide) that I think pretty much sucks. Rest is good (Break, Tug of War) to great (Juggling 9, Blink of an Eye) to amazing (Time Lost, Wounded) to outerworldly (A Blueprint...).
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Sitting here now at my desk it's Haken's "The Mountain". Mixed feelings on this one as it has GREAT moments, but the track sequencing doesn't do it any favors by really limping into the end of the album.
For me Haken has only created two strong albums (Vektor, Virus). I was disappointed in the new one, ALTHOUGH I will admit that I can appreciate they are trying something new which to me is always a plus.
Claus Jensen

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:22 pm

Exploring Birdsong, Piano driven art/prog rock. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIpQtTQXpc4

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:59 am

A.C.T. - Falling
I love the previous 2 EPs, but this raises it to another level. Loving it.
I guess I better take a better listen. I enjoy all their previous stuff, but when I went through the new ep once it seemed to be lacking something this time. I freaked when I saw some material and I planned to buy it immediately, but passed after a listen which I'd never done with them.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:16 am

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:59 am
A.C.T. - Falling
I love the previous 2 EPs, but this raises it to another level. Loving it.
I guess I better take a better listen. I enjoy all their previous stuff, but when I went through the new ep once it seemed to be lacking something this time. I freaked when I saw some material and I planned to buy it immediately, but passed after a listen which I'd never done with them.
Yes, you need to give it more time - it's absolutely brilliant. Again though, the idea of a full length split into 4 EP-length parts spread over a period of 5+ years is just stupid, and it does take away a lot (!) of the enjoyment here.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:19 am

AFSKY - Om Hundrede År
Perhaps the best black metal album I've laid my ears upon in many many many years ...
"Bergtatt" meets "The Shadowthrone", but with a more modern production.
https://youtu.be/87K1dudpDLo
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:44 pm

SOLITARIS - Siwa
This is an EP of proggy metalcore with a djent'ish flavor to it. Pretty brutal stuff - I hear some undertones of electronic in there as well. Mardoch: this is for you. There's a certain "Erra meets Sikth" feel to it in places.
https://www.youtube.com/c/SolitarisMusic
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:23 am

Morning ride in was the new Redemption (see comments in that thread)

At work, first up was part of Megadeth's "Warchest" collection, and now moved into Wuthering Heights "Within". Another band I really wish were still around..... Folk metal done RIGHT!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:10 pm

TRANSATLANTIC / The Absolute Universe ..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W344FYp ... 1MMmjzR0vM

I am getting into this band (finally) big time lately ...... I'm sure that my recent journey into Neal Morse land has led me to this band, although over the years my attempts to get into them regularly failed..... all of a sudden, they have clicked with me and I'm off and running .......

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:55 pm

I am getting into this band (finally) big time lately ...... I'm sure that my recent journey into Neal Morse land has led me to this band, although over the years my attempts to get into them regularly failed..... all of a sudden, they have clicked with me and I'm off and running .......
What do you think of this album?

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:12 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:55 pm

What do you think of this album?
***I've only been through the short version ...... not the extended version. I like it a lot ....... so far, Whirlwind has been the one blowing my socks off, but I know I'm going to like this one more and more as I go through it ......... I'm finding that this band and Neal Morse are ticking all the right boxes for me as of late ........

On a side note -- Neal Morse / Danger and Innocence just floored me ..........

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:40 am

***I've only been through the short version ...... not the extended version. I like it a lot ....... so far, Whirlwind has been the one blowing my socks off, but I know I'm going to like this one more and more as I go through it ......... I'm finding that this band and Neal Morse are ticking all the right boxes for me as of late ........

On a side note -- Neal Morse / Danger and Innocence just floored me ..........
Absolute Universe was probably my least favorite of the Transatlantic albums, but I did enjoy the live DVD immensely. If you don't have it yet, GET IT. Honestly. Not only does the new material come across (a bit) stronger, but the older material feels absolutely EPIC here.

To my ears, Absolute Universe just feels less cohesive than the other albums..... And I can totally get that too, give the COVID separation and different directions everyone is pulled in. It sonically felt a bit like a divorce in progress, where one version of the album was more of a "Neal" effort and the other more of a "Roine". Not a bad album per se, just a bit more disjointed than their others.

Glad you are digging this stuff though!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:27 pm

Absolute Universe was probably my least favorite of the Transatlantic albums, but I did enjoy the live DVD immensely. If you don't have it yet, GET IT. Honestly. Not only does the new material come across (a bit) stronger, but the older material feels absolutely EPIC here.

To my ears, Absolute Universe just feels less cohesive than the other albums..... And I can totally get that too, give the COVID separation and different directions everyone is pulled in. It sonically felt a bit like a divorce in progress, where one version of the album was more of a "Neal" effort and the other more of a "Roine". Not a bad album per se, just a bit more disjointed than their others.

Glad you are digging this stuff though!

****I understand what you're saying and I was hoping that there was a bluray of that show out there for cheaper than it is ....... I think where Transatlantic shines most is in the live concert setting where they can show off their incredible chops .......

I'm in the Neal Morse camp of Transatlantic, but I was a fan of The Flower Kings back in the day so I'm not afraid of the Roine camp either ........ I do prefer the Neal side of course ....... I'm definitely trying to hunt down a cheaper copy of that show to be sure........

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:45 am

LUNAR - The Illusionist
Quite interesting self-financed release (https://lunarbandofficial.bandcamp.com/ ... llusionist) from California progsters. It's kind of "next-gen prog" in the vein of BtBaM, Native Construct, Parius, Shaolin Death Squad... very eclectic music, but still with clear ties back to the original prog metal sound of Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation and that kind.
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:29 am

Stonehenge - Wendigo (just the song). I had to go back to this band! Love these guys.....

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:51 am

Dunwich / Horror At Red Hook - Anthology Of The 1985​/​88 + Revisited Unrealesed Tracks (2022)

Hailing from Italy, Dunwich are especially known for their orchestral prog/gothic trilogy from the 90s, and in particular for the excellent "Eternal Eclipse of Frost".
This compilation, released at the very end of 2022, explores the early days of the band instead, when their material fell more squarely in the "gothic" camp: it includes all the songs from the first two demos in their original form, as well as two unreleased songs from the same period, completely re-arranged an re-recorded.
It's a surprisingly enjoyable listen. The songs from the demos, despite the low production values, have a lot of charm to them, and already showcase a certain ambition. As for the two "new" songs, they are simply great, taking advantage of top-notch production and of an awesome (guest) vocalist.
https://bloodrockrecords.bandcamp.com/track/grey-skies

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:32 am

Alberto wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:51 am
Dunwich / Horror At Red Hook - Anthology Of The 1985​/​88 + Revisited Unrealesed Tracks (2022)

Hailing from Italy, Dunwich are especially known for their orchestral prog/gothic trilogy from the 90s, and in particular for the excellent "Eternal Eclipse of Frost".
This compilation, released at the very end of 2022, explores the early days of the band instead, when their material fell more squarely in the "gothic" camp: it includes all the songs from the first two demos in their original form, as well as two unreleased songs from the same period, completely re-arranged an re-recorded.
It's a surprisingly enjoyable listen. The songs from the demos, despite the low production values, have a lot of charm to them, and already showcase a certain ambition. As for the two "new" songs, they are simply great, taking advantage of top-notch production and of an awesome (guest) vocalist.
https://bloodrockrecords.bandcamp.com/track/grey-skies
I have "Eternal Eclipse ..." somewhere in my CD collection (which currently is sitting in boxes as I'm moving to a new house in May, and already began packing), but I honestly don't remember when I last listened to it. Probably been at least 10 years or so. Giving it a play-thru on YouTube right now (https://youtu.be/9H6mCWNEjhI) and must admit I don't remember much except the gothic pomp-atmosphere. It's definitely more orchestral, and less "metal" than I remember. There are a few nice guitar solos though (from Alex de Rosso ... Faithsedge if anyone remember them), but other than that it's not very metal. Doesn't mean it's not heavy, as it definitely is a "heavy" and quite dark album. Thank you for reminding me of this one - been too long for sure.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:17 am

Stonehenge - Wendigo (just the song). I had to go back to this band! Love these guys.....
FANTASTIC album! Good pick!!!! Did they ever actually put anything out AS Wendigo, or did that just fizzle out first?

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:31 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:17 am
FANTASTIC album! Good pick!!!! Did they ever actually put anything out AS Wendigo, or did that just fizzle out first?
I swear I remember something about Gildenlow singing a few songs on that Stonehenge album, but I can't find it now, and like I alluded to in another post all my CDs are packed down.

I think they did one or two albums later on as Wendigo, but it was more alternative and not the "classic prog metal" sound anymore.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:24 am

Car ride in today was Angra's "Angels Cry"..... Without question one of my favorite albums of all time, and probably a desert island disc. When my musical world was crumbling in the mid 90s, hearing Angra the first time (Holy Land, actually, and heard Angels Cry soon thereafter) was an absolute breath of fresh air. Out of the gate it was songs like "Carry On", "Time" and "Evil Warning" that captivated me, but as time has gone on more and more its the little things.... Like the instrumental segment of "Angels Cry" that are just out and out mesmerizing. How I miss Andre's vocals, too. Another gone way too early.

At work right now it's Galactic Cowboys "At the End of the Day"; likely a trade-in candidate, as I bought a handful of their albums in the cheapie used bins Back in the Day, but they have not aged well for me and I've never been a HUGE fan of this style.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:56 pm

Listening to Scratch - Beyond the Fear 1986 demo. Never heard this back in the day. It has Carl Albert (Vicious Rumors) on vocals who sounds awesome. Classic old school stuff.

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:33 am

Negative Plane / The Pact... (2022)

Negative Plane play a very peculiar brand of black/heavy/thrash (and we may just add progmetal to the list). "The Pact" is their third album: I always thought they were super interesting, but this is their most enjoyable work for me.
They streamlined their harmonies a bit I think, they opted for a clearer sound, and they injected a healthy dose of catchiness in their riffage. And, yeah, this is probably the album where they are actually taking some distance from black metal (mind you, they've never been your typical second wave-sounding band): in fact, sometimes I think "The Pact" almost sounds like a blackened take on some early Fates or Maiden tune hahaha.
Like on past albums, songs still sometimes sound like they could go on forever, also because of the narrative vocal approach... But you do get plenty of nice rewarding payoffs here.
Perfect review here: https://metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=17636
https://negativeplane.bandcamp.com/trac ... the-church

giedrius

Post by giedrius » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:17 am

Azure - Of Brine and Angels Beaks (2021). I knew the band from before, but they didn't grab my attention after first listens. Then I revisited them after reading Ross Jennings/Haken list of 10 best new prog rock+metal (a pretty good list, btw - https://loudwire.com/best-new-prog-rock ... -jennings/). I have always been more into metal than rock, and Azure is more prog rock with some metal influences, but I like this album a lot. It is bright, energetic, melodic and technical. I read somewhere than one of the members is heavily into Iron Maiden (besides more "adventurous" stuff), maybe that's why I liked it a lot :)

Illusion Suite - The Iron Cemetery (2013). I have missed some bands from around 2010 because I didn't follow the scene as closely as earlier (and now), so I didn't know about Illusion Suite. This album is nice to listen to, it's an example of "traditional" melodic progressive metal which is not so often heard nowadays.

Periphery "Djent is Not a Genre" (2023). I liked Periphery a lot around Juggernaut times, then got tired a bit. This new album didn't strike me at first, but after several listens I found it really enjoyable and versatile, still pretty much progressive metalcore (or can I call it djent? :/), with some very heavy numbers and with some nice soft and melodic parts.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:14 am

Alberto wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:33 am
Negative Plane / The Pact... (2022)

Negative Plane play a very peculiar brand of black/heavy/thrash (and we may just add progmetal to the list). "The Pact" is their third album: I always thought they were super interesting, but this is their most enjoyable work for me.
They streamlined their harmonies a bit I think, they opted for a clearer sound, and they injected a healthy dose of catchiness in their riffage. And, yeah, this is probably the album where they are actually taking some distance from black metal (mind you, they've never been your typical second wave-sounding band): in fact, sometimes I think "The Pact" almost sounds like a blackened take on some early Fates or Maiden tune hahaha.
Like on past albums, songs still sometimes sound like they could go on forever, also because of the narrative vocal approach... But you do get plenty of nice rewarding payoffs here.
Perfect review here: https://metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=17636
https://negativeplane.bandcamp.com/trac ... the-church
I actually had checked these guys out a while ago, dismissed them, and then never thought about them until your post brought them up again. I gave it another spin now, and I can see the appeal. To me this sounds like a modern black metallic spin on old Mercyful Fate, not too dissimilar to what Midnight is doing with their modern spin on Venom. It's (as you said) catchy, it has a sense of "trve kvlt" to it, and it's actually fairly enjoyable. I do appreciate how the vocalist occasionally spits out his "urrrghh"'s and "bleeergh"'s like Tom Warrior did in the early Celtic Frost days. And yes, the Maiden sound is also in here. Now, the difference between these guys and Midnight (as in, why one band is fairly big and the other is completely unknown) is that Midnight writes really strong songs that has a broader potential, whereas the Negative Plane guys (besides lousy band name choice) just haven't written a fully condensed memorable song - at least not from the little I've cared to listen. Again, good find, there's lots of enjoyable stuff here, and I'll listen again in a year or two when somehow I'm reminded once more ;)
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:41 am

This one goes in the category of “play me the video without sound and I’ll tell you what you sound like anyway…”

https://youtu.be/4PK7iiMYEwE

Total Opeth worship, but sounds great.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:36 pm

Very recently (as mentioned in other posts) I've gotten into "deathcore". One of those bands that surprised me a lot was Shadow of Intent, that honestly has more in common with prog/tech death and symphonic death metal than anything 'core if you ask me. Sure, there are heavy as heck breakdowns, but it sounds more like Fleshgod Apocalypse style than the Whitechapel or Suicide Silence references most would throw out as prime examples of deathcore.

Either way, last year's "Elegy" album has gotten a bunch of spins here recently, and now the band already has the next single ready, and what an immense asskicker that one is:
https://youtu.be/9Xd2rLgLrTY
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:24 pm

introclaus wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:36 pm
Very recently (as mentioned in other posts) I've gotten into "deathcore". One of those bands that surprised me a lot was Shadow of Intent, that honestly has more in common with prog/tech death and symphonic death metal than anything 'core if you ask me. Sure, there are heavy as heck breakdowns, but it sounds more like Fleshgod Apocalypse style than the Whitechapel or Suicide Silence references most would throw out as prime examples of deathcore.

Either way, last year's "Elegy" album has gotten a bunch of spins here recently, and now the band already has the next single ready, and what an immense asskicker that one is:
https://youtu.be/9Xd2rLgLrTY
Damn that kicks ass. Definitely sticking them into the research queue.

giedrius

Post by giedrius » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:25 am

Nine Orders - St. Thomas Gate (song)

Spotify "recommended" me this band, I haven't heard them before. It's a new song and the album will be out this year. Melodic progressive metal of a slower kind (at least this song), the vibe reminds me a lot of Terra Odium's album from a couple of years ago. The band says all songs are rather different, so I am looking forward to the album.

From Spotify profile: "With melodies carried by wide-ranging clean vocals, they take more of a 90s progressive sound into new territory, rather than blending with extreme metal like many bands do today, making them reminisce of pioneers like Memento Mori and even Evergrey."