What are you listening to right now?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

GaetanL

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by GaetanL » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:09 pm

My songs playlist tonight:

IQ - The Dark Christmas Suite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOLxCUucgXI
Christmas is not over yet for me. Must be the best christmas inspired song I have ever heard!

Veni Domine - Face Of The Prosecutor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlL6HGTqpwU
The other day that song played at random and now I'm hooked on it. I used to think that the song "O Great City" was the best song of the "Fall Babylon Fall" album and now I'm thinking that maybe this song is better. I have all Veni Domine albums. "Fall Babylon Fall" is the one I like the most. Maybe I should give the other ones another try.

Twisted Sister - Under The Blade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJLnVT9xJ5U
My favorite track from my favorite Twisted Sister album "Under The Blade".

Vanden Plas - Rainmaker (Feat. Patrick Rondat) Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wo_9LVwdq0
From Spirit Of Live (2000) album recorded in Paris. Great sounding live album. I recently discovered that the European edition has a different track listing. I bought it. I now have both, the US and the European edition. Only the US edition has the song "You Fly" and only the European edition has the songs "I Don't Miss You" et "Kiss Of Death (Feat. Don Dokken)".

Angra - Carolina IV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW9O0U3JyYE
I recently played the Blu-ray ØMNI Live. They play that song. I wanted to revisit the studio track.

Queensrÿche - Best I can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlmeBbz1ljw
Queensrÿche must be my favorite band of all time. I've been listening to them since the 80s and never get tired of them. Recently I've been on a Empire album mood.

Madsword - How Much Progress...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoHc602q92g
Some technologies have shattered what I love in life.

Voïvod - Experiment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW3sKaV50Ac
In the recent top 15 lists we made I had no canadian albums for the top 15 prog metal albums. This is just because Claus had another category for Voïvod. The album "Dimension Hatröss" (1988) from Voïvod is for sure in my top 15 prog metal albums. Just listen to the guitar please. Awesome! RIP Denis D'Amour, alias Piggy.
Last edited by GaetanL on Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:19 am

Sometime Friday afternoon I threw on Red Circuit - Homeland. I'd forgotten how good this disc is, and how great Chitty sounds on it. So I'm listening to it again this morning cause it was already sitting there.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:50 am

Mardoch wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:19 am
Sometime Friday afternoon I threw on Red Circuit - Homeland. I'd forgotten how good this disc is, and how great Chitty sounds on it. So I'm listening to it again this morning cause it was already sitting there.
***Hell yeah on that one !!!!! I miss Chity .........

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:07 am

I've been hooked on Neal Morse (again) lately ....... I pulled out Innocence and Danger recently, and I was blown away all over again. As a matter of fact, my wife asked if it was Dream Theater playing, and I realized that this disc rivals DT in many ways ...... the chops are just enormous.

This 2-CD set just doesn't let up for a minute ....... absolutely amazing playing.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:25 am

I've been hooked on Neal Morse (again) lately ....... I pulled out Innocence and Danger recently, and I was blown away all over again. As a matter of fact, my wife asked if it was Dream Theater playing, and I realized that this disc rivals DT in many ways ...... the chops are just enormous.

This 2-CD set just doesn't let up for a minute ....... absolutely amazing playing.
GOOD MAN!!! Indeed, it's not as showy as DT but I have no doubt these guys could play every lick of every DT tune if they wanted to.

I actually just watched the MorseFest 2020 show last week. Night one was all cover tunes, night two was the Thoughts Trilogy, plus Sola Gratia in its entirety. That one is a true Neal solo album (as opposed to one of the NMB collaborative efforts) and you can somewhat see that even in the live performance. Neal is TOTALLY into it, but the rest of the band isn't quite as prolifically engaged as they are when it's a group album. Don't get me wrong.... It's still a great live show, but not at the same level as some of the others.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:30 am

NP - Testament "The Ritual"

This was the first album that got me into Testament, and it was really because of the guitar chops more than anything else. Thrash, but with STYLE. "Practice What You Preach" might be my favorite of their releases, but this is right there with it.

I have only sampled bits of the newer albums, but seems like nothing has come close to this one since..... If anyone disagrees, please point me what to listen to that I'm missing out on.....

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:03 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:30 am
NP - Testament "The Ritual"

This was the first album that got me into Testament, and it was really because of the guitar chops more than anything else. Thrash, but with STYLE. "Practice What You Preach" might be my favorite of their releases, but this is right there with it.

I have only sampled bits of the newer albums, but seems like nothing has come close to this one since..... If anyone disagrees, please point me what to listen to that I'm missing out on.....
Interesting … while I’ve come to enjoy The Ritual over the years, it was frowned upon by most of us when it came out, as it was a departure from the thrash metal scene. You can argue that they started that departure in Souls of Black already, but The Ritual was all out move away from the scene. Then again, it put them on a big European tour supporting Maiden, so …
After that they returned to thrash because of the critics and their sales drastically dropped. Just two years after seeing them in a big arena I saw them in a small sweaty 125 people club.

As far as newer albums, I enjoy all of their reunion albums with Skolnick back … Formation of Damnation, Dark Roots of Earth, Brotherhood of the Snake, and Titans of Creation.

But obviously to me nothing beats the first 4-5 albums. I never loved Low, Demonic, and The Gathering to be honest. Just too “heavy” for how I like this band to be.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:05 pm

As far as newer albums, I enjoy all of their reunion albums with Skolnick back … Formation of Damnation, Dark Roots of Earth, Brotherhood of the Snake, and Titans of Creation.

But obviously to me nothing beats the first 4-5 albums. I never loved Low, Demonic, and The Gathering to be honest. Just too “heavy” for how I like this band to be.
I was assuming the new SKolnick albums all were still in this "heavier" camp also..... I'm with you that I didn't really care for Low/Demonic/Gathering for the same reason... It was heavy and lacking all the style of the earlier albums.

Maybe I'll check out one of the new ones to see if it compares remotely to the early stuff.

As for "Ritual" that's probably why it was more accessible for me.... I was not really a big thrash fan, and sort of backed into the bigger thrash acts by way of bands like Savatage/Watchtower..... Sure, I'd heard and enjoyed Metallica, but it wasn't a big LOVE of mine.... Testament and some Anthrax/Megadeth was about as much thrash as I really cared for....

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:06 am

I would suggest Formation of Damnation. This one hit me hard after deciding to check out all their stuff I never had past the 1st handful of releases back in the day.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:29 am

I would suggest Formation of Damnation. This one hit me hard after deciding to check out all their stuff I never had past the 1st handful of releases back in the day.
Took your suggestion and started playing this today..... And got halfway through before realizing that I actually OWN this one! Clearly I have too many CDs.... Yes, this is a pretty solid album much more akin to the early albums. At some point I'll need to sample the other new Skolnick ones also.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:39 am

Draconian - Sovran

I'm not enough of a subject matter expert to say this is the BEST B&B band in the genre, but they sure as hell are my favorite.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:25 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:39 am
Draconian - Sovran

I'm not enough of a subject matter expert to say this is the BEST B&B band in the genre, but they sure as hell are my favorite.
****Fantastic band that never got the recognition they deserve ....... great disc there as well .......

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:51 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:39 am
Draconian - Sovran

I don’t see them as a B&B band - to me they are melodic death doom similar to Swallow the Sun, Doom vs, Saturnus etc.
Either way, wonderful band!

“Sovran” and “Under a Godless Veil” are my favorites (thanks to the godly Heike Langhans on vocals - she is incredible). However, while I never cared much for their older records before, I’ve gone back to them in recent years and have become a fan of those as well. With their old vocalist rejoining them now I’m hoping they’d stay close in style to the last two though going forward.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:41 am

Was listening to EASTERN HIGH - Halo all afternoon yesterday, which lead me down the path of old "goth metal" classics like TO/DIE/FOR, SINAMORE and CHARON.

Went for a run this morning and played Eastern High once more (thanks Devomeister for the recommendation a few years ago). It's such a great album and the fact I only placed them somewhere in the 70's on my year-end-list is a crime in itself.
Last edited by introclaus on Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:46 pm

Continuing on the gothic rock/metal train ... new VILLE VALO - Neon Noir (HIM). Sounds great. A bit more laid back than I had hoped for, but it's really strong musically, When it leaves the goth behind and goes deep into pop-territory it actually reminds me a bit of Savage Garden, which is never a bad thing.
Last edited by introclaus on Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:40 pm

XANDRIA - The Wonders Still Awaiting
It's Nightwish worship all the way; very well-done for the genre, but if you're expecting anything more than that, you'll leave disappointed. Production is good, music well-written, and musicianship is great. I think the new singer is okay, but similar to Annette when she joined Nightwish, she sounds a little bit timid here.
Claus Jensen

giedrius

Post by giedrius » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:12 pm

New Katatonia and Riverside are pretty good albums. I haven't been a fan of either of those bands, but I am starting to appreciate them more and more, and keep playing both albums on repeat.

Surrealist "Playing God" is another one (re-release of Divebomb Records), some Psychotic Waltz inspired early 90s metal.

Alpha Galates "A Stimulus for Reason" - I found about it in this board, never heard of them before last year, but it has some kind of special originality in it.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:52 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:40 pm
XANDRIA - The Wonders Still Awaiting
It's Nightwish worship all the way; very well-done for the genre, but if you're expecting anything more than that, you'll leave disappointed. Production is good, music well-written, and musicianship is great. I think the new singer is okay, but similar to Annette when she joined Nightwish, she sounds a little bit timid here.
****I agree with you ..... it's just getting old at this point. I liked Xandria with Lisa back in the day - they were so much better. But then, they would sound the same now as well ........

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:51 pm

giedrius wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:12 pm
New Katatonia and Riverside are pretty good albums. I haven't been a fan of either of those bands, but I am starting to appreciate them more and more, and keep playing both albums on repeat.
Yes, I love both albums.

giedrius wrote:
Surrealist "Playing God" is another one (re-release of Divebomb Records), some Psychotic Waltz inspired early 90s metal.
This is really good. I hear Psychotic Waltz, a bit of Watchtower, some Inner Strength, and a whole bunch of early The Quiet Room in it as well.

giedrius wrote:
Alpha Galates "A Stimulus for Reason" - I found about it in this board, never heard of them before last year, but it has some kind of special originality in it.
I checked this out a while ago because of someones post as well ... it is original, and somehow it reminds me of The Black Symphony mixed with Hammers of Misfortune (and perhaps a little bit of "post grunge"). I just don't think I have patience to sit through a full album like this.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:40 am

A Tribute to ABBA

Random Nuclear Blast collection of songs from bands like Therion, Morgana LeFay, Tad Morose, Sinergy, Rough Silk etc doing ABBA covers.

I was born JUST late enough to have (THANKFULLY) missed the disco craze, and grew up with parents who listened to country music so my exposure to ABBA was pretty minimal beyond the basic hits.... So as I started to (randomly) hear more and more European power metal bands doing ABBA covers, it always amazed me how seamlessly they blended into their original works. This album only further reinforced just how similar ABBAs songwriting melodies are to Euro power metal!

A few years ago my daughter (probably around age 8 or 9 I'd guess) watched Mama Mia with Grandma, and went on a big ABBA kick for awhile..... I pulled this disc out and she HATED IT so much! :)

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:35 pm

A Tribute to ABBA
This is one of the handful of tributes I really enjoy. Thought Rush & Fates Warning were quite good as well. Similar story here. My sister in law drove me nuts playing ABBA greatest hits in college every weekend so I purchased the ABBA tribute to blast at family events. :D

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:30 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:40 am
A Tribute to ABBA

Random Nuclear Blast collection of songs from bands like Therion, Morgana LeFay, Tad Morose, Sinergy, Rough Silk etc doing ABBA covers.

I was born JUST late enough to have (THANKFULLY) missed the disco craze, and grew up with parents who listened to country music so my exposure to ABBA was pretty minimal beyond the basic hits.... So as I started to (randomly) hear more and more European power metal bands doing ABBA covers, it always amazed me how seamlessly they blended into their original works. This album only further reinforced just how similar ABBAs songwriting melodies are to Euro power metal!

A few years ago my daughter (probably around age 8 or 9 I'd guess) watched Mama Mia with Grandma, and went on a big ABBA kick for awhile..... I pulled this disc out and she HATED IT so much! :)
My parents were big ABBA fans, and I grew up listening to all their albums (well, obviously not the new one from last year). I've always LOVED their song writing, and when the "Mama Mia" movies came out, I took my son to see them in the movie theater. He loves them as well, so he actually sang along with all the songs in the movie theater and he made a lot of people smile that evening.

The NB tribute album is great for sure. And, interestingly enough, the Amberian Dawn "Take A Chance" album is really good as well (it's interesting hear a metal band do a FULL album of covers from one specific artist).
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:41 am

introclaus wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:30 am
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:40 am
A Tribute to ABBA

My parents were big ABBA fans, and I grew up listening to all their albums (well, obviously not the new one from last year). I've always LOVED their song writing, and when the "Mama Mia" movies came out, I took my son to see them in the movie theater. He loves them as well, so he actually sang along with all the songs in the movie theater and he made a lot of people smile that evening.

The NB tribute album is great for sure. And, interestingly enough, the Amberian Dawn "Take A Chance" album is really good as well (it's interesting hear a metal band do a FULL album of covers from one specific artist).

Speaking of Abba, Claus have you ever heard At Vance's cover of SOS?? It's total Fire... totally miss that band. Man, what a singer Oliver Hartmann is!

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:42 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:41 am
Speaking of Abba, Claus have you ever heard At Vance's cover of SOS?? It's total Fire... totally miss that band. Man, what a singer Oliver Hartmann is!
At Vance actually has done a couple of ABBA covers. They also did a wonderful version of “The Winner Takes It All” and one of "Money, Money, Money".
And YES, Oliver Hartman is a criminally underrated singer. The fact that he decided to become a back up vocalist / guitarist for Avantasia instead of being the perfect powerhouse vocalist is one of the biggest mysteries to man … well … at least to me :)
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:39 am

Robin McAuley - Alive
Great album by a great singer.

While I liked but didn't love the previous solo album of his, I totally love this one. It's full of great songs (kudos to Alessandro Del Vecchio, who I gave a hard time in my review of Robin's "Standing on the Edge" album), very good production, and Robin does NOT sound like a 70 year old dude.
Interestingly enough I loved the first Black Swan album, but didn't really care for the second one.
I guess when the third BS comes around I'll love that, but will dislike the next solo album of Robin's?

Side note: It dawned upon me today that I've always thought Robin was American, when he is in fact Irish. I guess that since I got to know him through the 3 very "American sounding" McAuley/Schenker Group albums, I just assumed he was American ... shame on me.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:35 pm

Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings / Dark Saga
Yes, Jon S is a major idiot for what he did, no doubt about that! That said, the quality of his songwriting remain untouched in my book when it comes to thrashy US power metal, and the first 6-7 albums were all outstanding. We can bitch and moan about what the guy went and did, and yes, he should be punished for it (which I'm sure he is), but it has nothing (!!!!) to do with his music. And, if we choose to ignore those albums, it's not doing anyone any good, and it also diminishes the work the other musicians put into those albums. I'm sure all of them are ashamed of what Jon did, but their work on those albums shouldn't be minimized because of that. Barlow is a beast on these two albums, and Randall Shawver's leads are outstanding (and, he actually wrote a good deal of the material back then).
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:26 am

Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings / Dark Saga
Yes, Jon S is a major idiot for what he did, no doubt about that! That said, the quality of his songwriting remain untouched in my book when it comes to thrashy US power metal, and the first 6-7 albums were all outstanding. We can bitch and moan about what the guy went and did, and yes, he should be punished for it (which I'm sure he is), but it has nothing (!!!!) to do with his music. And, if we choose to ignore those albums, it's not doing anyone any good, and it also diminishes the work the other musicians put into those albums. I'm sure all of them are ashamed of what Jon did, but their work on those albums shouldn't be minimized because of that. Barlow is a beast on these two albums, and Randall Shawver's leads are outstanding (and, he actually wrote a good deal of the material back then).
100% agreed.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:41 am

Marillion - Fugazi

MY favorite of the Fish era releases. 'Nuff said I guess.

Also listened to the new Vanden Pl..... Errr...... ALL MY SHADOWS release this morning on the way in. Honestly, crazy as it sounds, I think I enjoyed it more right out of the gate than any of the recent VP releases! I expected something more in the melodic vein of "Days of Thunder" from the debut, but this has considerably more chunk to it. While definitely still sounds like VP, it is a bit more straightforward, and definitely lacks the virtuoso Gunther usually brings on keys. Still, very much enjoyed it.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:04 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote: ↑Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:26 pm
Knight Area - Nine Paths

I have their first 2-3 albums, and tend to forget about them, but whenever I break them out I find them to be better than I remember.... I need to dig deeper into their catalogue, time and finances permitting. Any strong feelings past the first couple of albums? Recommendations?
**** Nine Paths is probably my fav ....... but you cannot go wrong with Under a New Sign or Realm of Shadows ...... as Claus mentioned, the D-Day discs are more Ayreon-esque and a bit more modern. They are great - but, the sound has changed from the discs we are talking about. I prefer their earlier Prog Rock sound to their new and improved almost metal sound .....
Picked up the rest of the catalogue recently (so much for buying less music this year). I'm in the Larry camp on this one where I prefer the older material, but the D-Day albums aren't bad either.... Just different. I definitely prefer the original singer, as I think he has a distinct voice that fits perfectly with their sound, whereas with the D-Day albums I keep hearing bits and pieces of other bands all the time. "Heaven and Beyond" was probably my favorite of the ones I just picked up, but not a bad disc in the bunch.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:26 am

Picked up the rest of the catalogue recently (so much for buying less music this year). I'm in the Larry camp on this one where I prefer the older material, but the D-Day albums aren't bad either.... Just different. I definitely prefer the original singer, as I think he has a distinct voice that fits perfectly with their sound, whereas with the D-Day albums I keep hearing bits and pieces of other bands all the time. "Heaven and Beyond" was probably my favorite of the ones I just picked up, but not a bad disc in the bunch.
I agree totally with this ..........

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:35 pm

Been a heavy prog day at work....

Fates Warning - Long Day Good Night (if this is their final album, which I sincerely hope its not, they certainly go out strong!)
Vangough - Manikin Parade (aside from the last album, which shifted from a PoS vibe to a Leprous one, each album was better than the last..... Would love to seem them resurface)
Votum - Metafiction (high point for me from this group.... didn't care for the heavier transition on albums 3 & 4.....)

And in the car, I had Empyrios first album going..... Band features a couple of the DGM crew in a heavier / slightly more alternative vein.... Have not listed to this one in YEARS, and if the second one isnt stronger this likely hits the trade-in pile.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:05 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:35 pm
Fates Warning - Long Day Good Night (if this is their final album, which I sincerely hope its not, they certainly go out strong!)
Yes, it's definitely one of their best "later day" albums, and as a farewell it serves them well.
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Vangough - Manikin Parade (aside from the last album, which shifted from a PoS vibe to a Leprous one, each album was better than the last..... Would love to seem them resurface)
Manikin Parade was an incredible album. Probably the closest to a PoS album from any band that wasn't PoS (perhaps Wastefall came close as well).
I love their Kingdom of Ruin album as well.
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Votum - Metafiction (high point for me from this group.... didn't care for the heavier transition on albums 3 & 4.....)
For me it's Harvest Moon and Ktonik that's their best. I love the change in style on Ktonik (like a heavier Anathema).
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
And in the car, I had Empyrios first album going..... Band features a couple of the DGM crew in a heavier / slightly more alternative vein.... Have not listed to this one in YEARS, and if the second one isnt stronger this likely hits the trade-in pile.
Never liked these guys to be honest. Wasn't any good.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:49 pm

A.C.T. - Falling
Another 30 minute EP (yes, I've said before that I'm annoyed by them not putting out a new album for 9 years now - all these EPs are just ... ugh!!!), with an unnecessary intro and equally unnecessary outro. But man, those 6 songs in between are some of the best I've heard from them in a long time. I love the previous 2 EPs, but this raises it to another level. Loving it. Bring on that last EP that's planned, and then compile all of it into a full album please.
https://youtu.be/SJZna0CiRV0
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:01 am

To the Grave - Director's Cut
Realizing last year that I actually enjoy deathcore (with both Fit for an Autopsy and Lorna Shore entering my top list), I've been diving a bit deeper into the genre.
Thanks to Mardoch's recommendation, I've been enjoying A Wake in Providence. Also got into Shadow of Intent.
Still not hooked on some of the genre-biggies like Chelsea Grin (although I can see the appeal and I might give their new one a few spins when it hit the streets in a week), Suicide Silence (I actually own one of their albums, but can't remember last time I sat down to listen to it) or Whitechapel.
To the Grave is interesting in that it has the aggression of Chelsea Grin, but also in places goes symphonic and melodic similar to how Lorna Shore does it. It's not a perfect album, but I'm really digging it, and the breakdowns are just sick!
https://youtu.be/jY67FPBNQRE
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:23 pm

Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel

Finally checking these folks out. I believe I'm a fan now.