What are you listening to right now?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

introclaus

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by introclaus » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:31 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:11 pm
Still evaluating tops of the year so spinning candidates from that list. A Wake in Providence - Eternity and then Fit for an Autopsy - Oh What the Future Holds.
I never got around to really spend time with A Wake in Providence. Let me know your thoughts on it, and tell me if I missed a good one there.

I realized that I completely (!!!!) missed the boat on The Offering "Seeing the Elephant". I've been playing it non-stop the last 36 hours (well, non-stop except for a few hours of sleep and a few meetings today) and am so annoyed with myself for never getting around to the album in 2022. We talked about the first single ("WASP") back when it came out, but I forgot to purchase full album until now reading a lot of "best of 2022 lists" putting it up top. Well, it's freakin' amazing, and I could totally see it having taken a top 20 or perhaps even 10 spot.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:29 pm

Going a ways back today...... The first Virgin Steele album circa 1982. More of a hair metal direction than the symphonic power sound they gravitated towards later.... Still fun though.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:26 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:29 pm
Going a ways back today...... The first Virgin Steele album circa 1982. More of a hair metal direction than the symphonic power sound they gravitated towards later.... Still fun though.
Every time I interviewed or met David DeFeis over the years I’ve always told him that the debut is my favorite of all their albums … obviously he thought I was crazy :)
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:23 pm

introclaus wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:31 pm
Mardoch wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:11 pm
Still evaluating tops of the year so spinning candidates from that list. A Wake in Providence - Eternity and then Fit for an Autopsy - Oh What the Future Holds.
I never got around to really spend time with A Wake in Providence. Let me know your thoughts on it, and tell me if I missed a good one there.

I realized that I completely (!!!!) missed the boat on The Offering "Seeing the Elephant". I've been playing it non-stop the last 36 hours (well, non-stop except for a few hours of sleep and a few meetings today) and am so annoyed with myself for never getting around to the album in 2022. We talked about the first single ("WASP") back when it came out, but I forgot to purchase full album until now reading a lot of "best of 2022 lists" putting it up top. Well, it's freakin' amazing, and I could totally see it having taken a top 20 or perhaps even 10 spot.
A Wake in Providence is hitting my top of the year list. It's gnarly and heavy and really works for me.

That The Offering album is one I'm also meaning to check out still. I picked up their EP from bandcamp recently and it's kind of a weird genre mishmash that works nonetheless.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:40 pm

Maiden United - Entire discography
Iron Maiden covers done right! It's always a joy listening to such incredible vocalists as Damien Wilson, Anneke van Giersbergen, Wudstik, Frank Beck...
I will go on record and say that some of these songs are better in these versions than the originals.
Claus Jensen

brendontowle

Post by brendontowle » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:13 pm

ToddinMN wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:12 am
Listening to the new Threshold. This really hits the spot. After one spin through, my favorite track is Let It Burn. That track is a banger.
Yes! That just came off of my "on repeat" list. Let It Burn and Complex both really grab me every time.

My current "on repeat" title is Tim Donahue, Madmen & Sinners (which I think this board turned me on to, back in the day).

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:56 am

SAGA - Saga
One of the best progressive symph/pomp rock bands ever. The first 5 albums were all amazing in my opinion, and I really enjoy a lot of their later releases as well.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:36 pm

introclaus wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:56 am
SAGA - Saga
One of the best progressive symph/pomp rock bands ever. The first 5 albums were all amazing in my opinion, and I really enjoy a lot of their later releases as well.
***I agree with you 100%.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:37 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:40 pm
Iron Maiden covers done right! It's always a joy listening to such incredible vocalists as Damien Wilson, Anneke van Giersbergen, Wudstik, Frank Beck...
I will go on record and say that some of these songs are better in these versions than the originals.
***I enjoyed the first two immensely ....the first one is the best to me. I stopped listening after Damian left............need to go back to these.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:27 pm

LarryD wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:37 pm
introclaus wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:40 pm
***I enjoyed the first two immensely ....the first one is the best to me. I stopped listening after Damian left............need to go back to these.
All three with Damien are wonderful. I love the ones after he left as well. The “Empire of the clouds” with Wudstjk singing is incredible since that such a magnum opus to take on.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:08 am

Self-titled After Forever this morning. Definitely not my favorite AF album, but it has its moments. While Floor still sounds amazing, nothing touches her power from the After Forever albums.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:03 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:08 am
Self-titled After Forever this morning. Definitely not my favorite AF album, but it has its moments. While Floor still sounds amazing, nothing touches her power from the After Forever albums.
****I love that disc - but I played The Invisible Circle the other day and it blew me away all over again ........ incredible disc and I do believe Floor at her best.......

outprogged42

Post by outprogged42 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:19 pm

Been listening to parts of both of the Power of Omens albums this week. They need a good audio system to really shine through with all the little details in the music - particularly the constantly hyperactive drums. The second half of the 20-minute epic song "In the End" is sheer instrumental chaos. Sort of the same in their other 20-minuter.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:39 am

Kamelot … going through their discography since there’s a new album on the horizon. I’d still proudly state that I’m a total supporter of their debut album as one of the very best US power metal albums ever written. Also, “poetry for the Poisoned” is totally underrated in their catalogue, and the first two albums from the Khan era still leaves me unimpressed.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:02 am

Iron Maiden - Brave New World

This was really the first album that got me into the band. I was familiar with the "hits" prior to this, but never really listened to them until seeing them live in concert on this tour. Didn't see them live again until last year on the Senjitsu tour.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:06 am

Kamelot … going through their discography since there’s a new album on the horizon. I’d still proudly state that I’m a total supporter of their debut album as one of the very best US power metal albums ever written. Also, “poetry for the Poisoned” is totally underrated in their catalogue, and the first two albums from the Khan era still leaves me unimpressed.
Funny how you and I both seem to like the same core bands, but somehow our opinions on them are always about 90 degrees off.... (Rarely a full 180 off!)

I like both the first two albums for what they are, but didn't feel like they developed their signature style / sound until "Fourth Legacy".... "Karma" is the one that blew me away, and "Black Halo" was where they peaked for me. Everything since then has been solid, but a bit derivative. "Poetry" falls into that same bucket.... It's very good for sure, especially following "Ghost Opera" (which I think is their weakest Khan album), but still felt like a "more of the same" release.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:53 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:06 am
Funny how you and I both seem to like the same core bands, but somehow our opinions on them are always about 90 degrees off.... (Rarely a full 180 off!)

I like both the first two albums for what they are, but didn't feel like they developed their signature style / sound until "Fourth Legacy".... "Karma" is the one that blew me away, and "Black Halo" was where they peaked for me. Everything since then has been solid, but a bit derivative. "Poetry" falls into that same bucket.... It's very good for sure, especially following "Ghost Opera" (which I think is their weakest Khan album), but still felt like a "more of the same" release.
+1 on all of this ^^^^^

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:07 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:06 am

The second album is one that just was all over the place and lacked punch and direction. Not a good album, but I’ll take it just for the fact that alongside the phenomenal debut it’s the only two albums we got with Vanderbilt fronting Kamelot.

I think the only two of their albums I really never revisit are “Siege Perilious” and “Fourth Legacy”.

I’ve never been the biggest fan of “Epica” and “Ghost Opera”, but they are still solid albums, and occasionally I return to them.

“Karma” and “Black Halo” are phenomenal albums. But, for some reason I think “poetry…” is the best of the Khan fronted ones. It has a superb production and a real gothic vibe.

The Tommy-fronted albums are all great, although not very inventive or pushing the boundaries in any way.
Claus Jensen

BumZen

Post by BumZen » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:55 am

introclaus wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:07 pm
I think the only two of their albums I really never revisit are “Siege Perilious” and “Fourth Legacy”.
I don't think I've listened to anything before Karma in a very long time. I do agree that Eternity was a decent album, and gets a bit too much flak. Should revisit.
introclaus wrote:
I’ve never been the biggest fan of “Epica” and “Ghost Opera”, but they are still solid albums, and occasionally I return to them.
Epica is probably my favorite Kamelot album, strongly followed by Karma and Black Halo. It makes absolutely zero sense to think Karma and Black Halo are phenomenal and not throw Epica in there.
introclaus wrote:
“Karma” and “Black Halo” are phenomenal albums. But, for some reason I think “poetry…” is the best of the Khan fronted ones. It has a superb production and a real gothic vibe.
Poetry for the Poisoned did not make my pants any tighter when it first released, but thanks to songs like Zodiac it grew on me over time (pun intended). Ghost Opera did the same. I also think I still prefer the Tommy albums over those two.
Skambamse

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:11 am

BumZen wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:55 am
I don't think I've listened to anything before Karma in a very long time. I do agree that Eternity was a decent album, and gets a bit too much flak. Should revisit.
“Eternity” is the closest we ever get to hearing Midnight ever fronting another masterpiece after the first two Crimson Glory albums :) When this came out the entire European media were sure it was Midnight singing haha
BumZen wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:55 am
Epica is probably my favorite Kamelot album, strongly followed by Karma and Black Halo. It makes absolutely zero sense to think Karma and Black Halo are phenomenal and not throw Epica in there.
You know, I enjoy “Epica” but don’t love it, although I seem to remember I reviewed it a 9.5/10 back in the day in Metaluzed Magazine. Typically (like you with “poetry…”) you grow to love an album, not the other way around

Two things …
(1) I loved “karma” and felt it had such a great flow - then comes “Epica” which is supposed to be a concept album but the flow isn’t there and the way too many interludes breaks it up too much.
(2) my original promo was one of those CDs where the label had split it into 99 tracks to avoid people from putting it online, so for years (until I bought the real CD) I despised putting it in the player.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:46 am

IQ40 / Forty Years of Prog Nonsense --

IQ celebrates their 40th year with another double live disc set ....... no bluray show from this one. Yet. I have not played it, waiting for the right moment to open it and indulge. If I'm not mistaken, this is a limited release, with only so many copies pressed. Ken can confirm this, but I'd jump on it pronto if you are an IQ fan.

Here is a review of the show itself when it was played live.

https://atthebarrier.com/2023/01/15/iq- ... ve-review/

WALK IN DARKNESS / Leaves Rolling in Time -
I discovered this band accidentally while browsing, and I'm not sure why I don't know of them. They have a few discs out, but this is the new one and supposedly the best.... Based on one You tube video I bit and bought the disc. I should like this. But I'm not sure why I can't get into it. I'm guessing that I've left the genre behind for good and cannot re-absorb it. It's Gothic / Symphonic with a female singer with a very good Italian voice, although with a thick accent. The main songwriter, and I'm guessing the man behind all the music and lyrics is a guy called SHAMAN and you can't see him as he wears a dark, black half-cloak with hood (ie. he is mysterious). :wink:
Anyway the music is not your typical pop / metal / growls / try to be like WT or Evanescence type band. This music is slowed down - almost proggy in a sense, and moves along sometimes at a slow, doomy pace.... whatever it is, I just can't dig into it. But you can check out their single off the disc here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5x18_fJldI

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:22 am

IQ40 / Forty Years of Prog Nonsense --

IQ celebrates their 40th year with another double live disc set ....... no bluray show from this one. Yet. I have not played it, waiting for the right moment to open it and indulge. If I'm not mistaken, this is a limited release, with only so many copies pressed. Ken can confirm this, but I'd jump on it pronto if you are an IQ fan.
Came into 2023 with the goal of buying fewer CDs.... Have two kids coming up on college, need new flooring throughout the house, and already out of space for physical media so REALLY want to slow my roll and just order the necessary items.... Saw this pop up last week and decided it's a good one to skip (live album), and now you come along and point out it's a LIMITED EDITION.

You suck. :)

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:16 pm

Came into 2023 with the goal of buying fewer CDs.... Have two kids coming up on college, need new flooring throughout the house, and already out of space for physical media so REALLY want to slow my roll and just order the necessary items.... Saw this pop up last week and decided it's a good one to skip (live album), and now you come along and point out it's a LIMITED EDITION.

You suck. :)
****I'm not really sure what that limited edition means ...... I can only guess that only so many were pressed ........ but in reality, it's not that hard to get an IQ disc.....
That said, I know you're a fan and this one is pretty amazing. Their live shows are always great as you know ..... the songs here are deep cuts, so to speak, and of course The Road of Bones is there, but the rest are songs I guess they don't play out that often, if ever. The cool part is that thes songs they chose are some of the most melodic I've heard IQ play live. It could be my fan boy coming out - but for fans of this band, this one is a no brainer........

The sickness cannot be cured. $17.00 gets you a double live CD set of IQ. You can do without 2-3 coffees this week. :wink:

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:53 pm

LarryD wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:16 pm
****I'm not really sure what that limited edition means ...... I can only guess that only so many were pressed ........ but in reality, it's not that hard to get an IQ disc.....
That said, I know you're a fan and this one is pretty amazing. Their live shows are always great as you know ..... the songs here are deep cuts, so to speak, and of course The Road of Bones is there, but the rest are songs I guess they don't play out that often, if ever. The cool part is that thes songs they chose are some of the most melodic I've heard IQ play live. It could be my fan boy coming out - but for fans of this band, this one is a no brainer........
This live album is part of their Archive Collection series. I know you have like me the 11 CDs / 1 Blu-ray book "The Archive Collection 2003 - 2017". If you have as well "A Show Of Resistance" (2020) double CD and "Live Like This" (2020) Blu-ray (includes A Show Of Resistance + Ever Live), you now have all releases of IQ The Archive Collection to this day.

They go out of print quicker than their regular releases from their label Giant Electric Pea.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:01 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:53 pm
LarryD wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:16 pm
This live album is part of their Archive Collection series. I know you have like me the 11 CDs / 1 Blu-ray book "The Archive Collection 2003 - 2017". If you have as well "A Show Of Resistance" (2020) double CD and "Live Like This" (2020) Blu-ray (includes A Show Of Resistance + Ever Live), you now have all releases of IQ The Archive Collection to this day.

They go out of print quicker than their regular releases from their label Giant Electric Pea.

***Thanks for the scoop on that Gaetan ..... and yes to all of that. Proud owner of all things IQ. :wink:

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:16 am

HOLLOW HOUR - Till the Grey Skies Are Gone
Been listening to this album pretty much non-stop the last two days ... it's a debuting Danish prog metal / djent-lite band, that sounds like VOLA meets Valis Ablaze, Unprocessed and a tiny bit of Dizzy Mizz Lizzy (which I guess is to be expected for a Danish band). The reason I checked it out was a "journalist" (lol) describing them as somewhere between Pyramaze and Wuthering Heights. Apparently the so-called journalist mentioned those as it's the only Danish prog bands he know of ... ridiculous. Anyway, if you like VOLA you should love this.
https://youtu.be/UGdWgi1N7Is
https://youtu.be/5Mu2EtUSbqQ
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:54 pm

introclaus wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:16 am
Been listening to this album pretty much non-stop the last two days ... it's a debuting Danish prog metal / djent-lite band, that sounds like VOLA meets Valis Ablaze, Unprocessed and a tiny bit of Dizzy Mizz Lizzy (which I guess is to be expected for a Danish band). The reason I checked it out was a "journalist" (lol) describing them as somewhere between Pyramaze and Wuthering Heights. Apparently the so-called journalist mentioned those as it's the only Danish prog bands he know of ... ridiculous. Anyway, if you like VOLA you should love this.
Those two singles are pretty great. Definitely going to look into these folks more.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:23 am

Stride - Imagine

REALLY strong (basically) one-and-done band from early 2000s, right around the time of Circus Maximus debuting as, if I recall, both played the same ProgPower. Always disappointed they never put out another album, as they hit that perfect combination of melody and chops similar to Magnitue 9 or CM.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:26 am

Knight Area - Nine Paths

I have their first 2-3 albums, and tend to forget about them, but whenever I break them out I find them to be better than I remember.... I need to dig deeper into their catalogue, time and finances permitting. Any strong feelings past the first couple of albums? Recommendations?

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:08 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:23 am
Stride - Imagine

REALLY strong (basically) one-and-done band from early 2000s, right around the time of Circus Maximus debuting as, if I recall, both played the same ProgPower. Always disappointed they never put out another album, as they hit that perfect combination of melody and chops similar to Magnitue 9 or CM.
This album is so good! It still sounds pretty modern even now 18 years later.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:22 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:26 am
Knight Area - Nine Paths

I have their first 2-3 albums, and tend to forget about them, but whenever I break them out I find them to be better than I remember.... I need to dig deeper into their catalogue, time and finances permitting. Any strong feelings past the first couple of albums? Recommendations?
First few were very good, but I prefer the last two (D-Day 1 and D-Day 2). More heavy (almost Ayreon'esque)...
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:24 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:08 pm
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:23 am
Stride - Imagine

This album is so good! It still sounds pretty modern even now 18 years later.
Yeah great disc.
Damn, 18 years? Wow ... I feel OLD now. I remember working with Ken G on the band and the release, with Mattias N on the artwork, me doing the booklet and then getting deal in place in Europe as well. OLD, OLD, OLD!
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:24 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:54 pm
introclaus wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:16 am
Those two singles are pretty great. Definitely going to look into these folks more.
Entire album rules. Been spinning it so much in the past week ... whenever I needed a break from Katatonia and Paradise Lost :)
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:20 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:26 am
Knight Area - Nine Paths

**** Nine Paths is probably my fav ....... but you cannot go wrong with Under a New Sign or Realm of Shadows ...... as Claus mentioned, the D-Day discs are more Ayreon-esque and a bit more modern. They are great - but, the sound has changed from the discs we are talking about. I prefer their earlier Prog Rock sound to their new and improved almost metal sound .....

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:52 pm

I know it's going to sound like a broken record, but I'm listening to Katatonia on shuffle, lol. It's incredible how all of their material is just consistently amazing. I don't think there's one single of their albums I don't love on its own merits. Yeah sure, "Discouraged Ones" and "Tonight's Decision" might be a bit rough around the edge, with Jonas transitioning into his clean voice and leaving the growls behind, but they are still amazing albums. I did the Krispy Kreme Challenge (https://www.ncsu.edu/spirit-and-traditi ... challenge/) this morning, and the new album ("Sky Void of Stars") was the one helping me through the last half of the race.
Claus Jensen